(Topic ID: 264841)

STEVE McQUEEN 1930-1980 - 90th Anniversary

By Mardi-Gras-Man

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kerze (resized).png
    quote-nobody-trusts-anyone-or-why-did-they-put-tilt-on-a-pinball-machine-steve-mcqueen-131-1-0137 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    15626288_1187358011312866_1681482545628870704_o (resized).jpg
    Steve McQueen St Louis 1958 (resized).jpg
    sie62qxapun (resized).png
    SMQ playing pinball (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    sm (resized).jpg
    mustang-auction-bullitt-mcqueen-1a-1 (resized).jpg
    986F804E-F48E-4A6C-8105-147D46C30C16 (resized).jpeg
    img20200324_20543834 (resized).jpg
    p722_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
    p527495_b_v8_ac (resized).jpg
    Bullitt_poster (resized).jpg
    Candle-light-animated (resized).png

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I would like to appreciate the 90th birthday and light a virtual candle in honor of a true american icon and idol, STEVE McQUEEN, who was born 90 years ago in Beech Grove, Indiana.
    On November 7 this year he will be gone already 40 years.
    It seems the older his movies get, the more people recognize how good they were. I guess no other movie-star still gets that much new fans, and he absolutely deserves it.
    Yes, I'm just a fucking german, but I think even me can say that Steve McQueen symbolizes the american dream. He fought very hard to make it, always lived his dream, did not compromise and looked forward.

I got no idea if the quote pictured below is indeed from him, but it sounds so.
    GOD SAVE McQUEEN

Candle-light-animated (resized).pngCandle-light-animated (resized).pngSMQ 1979 (resized).jpgSMQ 1979 (resized).jpgSteve McQueen quote Pinball (resized).jpgSteve McQueen quote Pinball (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

One of the best car chase scenes ever!!

#3 4 years ago

The King of Cool !

#4 4 years ago

I'm 52 and have never seen a Steve McQueen movie, so I really don't have any appreciation for him. Oddly enough, from the first post I learned that he died on my birthday. Anyway, if I were going to explore some of his movies, what would be the best 2 or 3 to start with?

#5 4 years ago

start with, the great escape, the towering inferno......

#6 4 years ago

Great Escape and Bullet !

#7 4 years ago

Great escape is on right now on TCM. They are showing several McQueen movies throughout the day.

#8 4 years ago

Great, thanks for the recommendations.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from gmanrulz46:

start with, the great escape, the towering inferno......

My 2 favorite Mcqueen movies.....

The Bounty Hunter receives honorable mention. The theme music was awful

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm 52 and have never seen a Steve McQueen movie, so I really don't have any appreciation for him. Oddly enough, from the first post I learned that he died on my birthday. Anyway, if I were going to explore some of his movies, what would be the best 2 or 3 to start with?

It surely depends on what kind of movies you like. To most people, SMQ is an action-guy but there are lots of facets in his work.

If you like Tarantino, start with THE GETAWAY, a fantastic movie from 1972. You will be surprised to see how many new movies are inspired by this one.
    If you're an adventure-movie guy, start with PAPILLON or THE GREAT ESCAPE (the latter one made him a world-wide star)
    If you like rather silent and sad stories with a bit of action, watch JUNIOR BONNER or TOM HORN.
    If you like elegant and atmospheric movies you have to see THE CINCINNATI KID or THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR.
    He also did some very good and realistic war-movies. Compare HELL IS FOR HEROES with the Brad-Pit-movie FURY - I'm quite sure that BP watched it carefully, please compare their acting. THE WAR LOVER is a cool movie about war-pilots, way better than the new one of the german CGI-Maniac Roland Emmerich.
    You can find many different sides of him, and each one is fascinating.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

It surely depends on what kind of movies you like. To most people, SMQ is an action-guy but there are lots of facets in his work.
    If you like Tarantino, start with THE GETAWAY, a fantastic movie from 1972. You will be surprised to see how many new movies are inspired by this one.
    If you're an adventure-movie guy, start with PAPILLON or THE GREAT ESCAPE (the latter one made him a world-wide star)
    If you like rather silent and sad stories with a bit of action, watch JUNIOR BONNER or TOM HORN.
    You can find many different sides of him.

Action and Sci-Fi are my two favorite genres. I'm okay with Tarantino, but I find his endless and extended dialog rather boring and unnecessary in many/most instances. This is the same reason I just can't handle Westworld where they turn 20 minutes worth of content into an hour+ each week. There are actual cases where I sit through 30 seconds of dialog, get the point, fast forward 2-3 minutes, and they still haven't moved on - I just don't have the patience for that (just ask my wife when she's trying to tell me a story about the events of the day).

Oddly enough, I do remember my parents taking me to the drive in theater to see The Towering Inferno when it came out in 1974 (I would have been 6 years old back then). Of course I don't remember a single thing about the movie, so looking forward to checking it out.

#12 4 years ago

Watch the original The Blob. He's great in it.

#13 4 years ago

Mr. Tantrum...

Given your participation in another thread, I believe you are a car guy. Bullet is my favorite. I love Papillon. But for the love of race cars, go with LeMans. Maybe not a great movie, but I love the race cars...

Maurizio

#14 4 years ago

I can handle a car/race theme movie (it's a documentary, right?). I'll checkout LeMans too, thanks.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Great Escape and Bullet !

Quoted from maur:

Bullet is my favorite.

C'mon guys, Show a little respect

B-U-L-L-I-T-T

As in Lieutenant Frank Bullitt

Bullitt_poster (resized).jpgBullitt_poster (resized).jpg
    #16 4 years ago

Bullet really is a completely forgettable movie except for the awesome car chase. Save yourself 90 minutes and just watch the car chase on youtube. And count the number of hubcaps the Mustang loses during the chase!

McQueen was the male lead in The Blob! That's a good one.

The Getaway and the Thomas Crown Affair are cool movies.

McQueen was Next Door neighbors with Larry Hagman and Keith Moon in Malibu for a while. He once almost beat the shit out of Moon who was trying to buy drugs from his 16-year old son.

#17 4 years ago

My apologies..consider my pass revoked!

Maurizio

#18 4 years ago

If you want to see McQueen just for your entertainment, Bullitt or The Mag Seven is where you should start. If you want to see some of his best acting and want to watch with the wife, The Sand Pebbles is the one I'd start with.

#19 4 years ago

Still watch it almost every Saturday on METV.

p527495_b_v8_ac (resized).jpgp527495_b_v8_ac (resized).jpg
    #20 4 years ago

And of course this classic movie.

p722_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp722_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
    #21 4 years ago

On Any Sunday.

#22 4 years ago

I’ve got a 6-movie Steve McQueen collection on DVD, will start it tonight! Long overdue.

#23 4 years ago

Papillon was pretty good, but very long. Just like The Sand Pebbles.

#25 4 years ago

Really good book.

img20200324_20543834 (resized).jpgimg20200324_20543834 (resized).jpg
    #26 4 years ago

My lovely wife driving my Bullitt Mustang.

RIP The King of Cool.

986F804E-F48E-4A6C-8105-147D46C30C16 (resized).jpeg986F804E-F48E-4A6C-8105-147D46C30C16 (resized).jpeg
    #27 4 years ago

I prefer the stock version myself.

mustang-auction-bullitt-mcqueen-1a-1 (resized).jpgmustang-auction-bullitt-mcqueen-1a-1 (resized).jpg
    #28 4 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

My lovely wife driving my Bullitt Mustang.
    RIP The King of Cool.[quoted image]

I sat in one of those at a dealer last year. Beautiful car....

#29 4 years ago

The Cincinnati Kid
    The Thomas Crown Affair
    Two of my favorites....

#30 4 years ago

Yes, I'm just a fucking german,

Not true, because I've emailed you for years and you are a top-notch guy. You helped us in our early days.

You saw this auction in 2020, yes? :

https://www.motortrend.com/news/original-mustang-bullitt-sale/

#31 4 years ago

I drove a Mustang.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Not true, because I've emailed you for years and you are a top-notch guy. You helped us in our early days.
    You saw this auction in 2020, yes? :
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/original-mustang-bullitt-sale/

Thank you, dear Jay!

The "problem" with BULLITT is that so many old guys rave about this one that young people watch it with so great expectations that they are disappointed. The movie wasn't supposed to be just an action-thriller but an authentic look at the work and life of a "cop" and this was done beautifully. In fact, Warner Bros. were disappointed when they saw the finished movie. Of course they were proven wrong.
    I can understand why young guys don't like it but me, I adore this movie. Not only because of the Mustang but just to watch SMQ. Even when he goes shopping or does other profane things every move he makes is a performance. But maybe you have to be older to realize that.

#33 4 years ago

Okay, so I decided to watch Bullitt as my first Steve McQueen movie. First of all, I was probably around 6 months old when this came out to give you my age perspective.

The Positives:
    - Let's start with the obvious - the chase seen. Great seeing a chase on the streets of San Fran. Also, while I'm not opposed to VFX (I am a sci-fi connoisseur), it was refreshing to see real action performed by real people. The sound of the car engines was awesome throughout (maybe a little too much tire squeal). Also, even though I've never been either a Mustang or a Charger fan, they cars looked and performed great. It was also funny when the driver of the Charger buckled was waist seatbelt - those were the days.
    - I liked the captain character also. Over the years the stereotypical caption is one who is either a over the top yeller who is always threading the cop/detective or he ends up being crooked. I like that this captain was more subdued, stood up for his team, and dealt with the political crap as he needed to. Just seemed to be a more realistic character than what I'm accustomed to seeing in these types of films.
    - The overall story line was engaging and had its fair amount of revelations/twists. While not full-tilt action all the time like some of today movies (John Wick comes to mind), I didn't mind the visual story telling, and I liked that the dialog wasn't incessant and over the top.
    - As a tech guy, I was intrigued by the fax (telecopier?) machine. I'm sure that was really high tech back then which is why it played a pretty prominent role during that scene. As a second tech observation, all of the rotary phone dialing was awesome too.
    - I really enjoyed seeing the airport scene in the late 60's. In reality, it hasn't changed that much as it relates to herding people on and off the planes.
    - It was fun seeing well known actors of recent times in relatively minor rolls. Robert Duvall as a random cab driver and Norman Fell (Mr. Roper from 3's Company) as the senator's investigator where fun surprises.
    - I'm assuming this movie may have been a little progressive for its time with the casting of the lead doctor. I don't usually have much positive to say about Hollywood, but this is one case where progressiveness was a positive thing in breaking stereotypes.

The Negatives:
    - Well, for me there was really only one thing that I didn't like - the sped up cameras in various parts of the chase scene. I don't know why film makers during that time thought that speeding up the camera 1.5 - 2.0 times would give the impression to the audience that everything looked normal but was moving really fast. It just looks plane stupid to me, where real-time speed would still convey enough thrill and action for what was going on.

Overall, I give it two thumbs up. It reminded me a little of a Dirty Harry movie (which I like) with the main character being a little more subdued. However, most of the association for me could have just been that it was a cop themed movie set in San Francisco. I enjoyed watching the movie, it kept my attention, had enough suspense, and I ended up liking Steve enough to queue up a couple more of his movies.

#34 4 years ago

I good old funny movie Soldier in the Rain.

sm (resized).jpgsm (resized).jpg
    #36 4 years ago

I didn't realize this at the time, but his son Chad was one of the Kobra Kai's in Karate Kid. Now I see the obvious family resemblance.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #37 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I drove a Mustang.

Owned a ‘69 mustang convertible. Sold it and kept my ‘75 Toyota Corolla. Oh well.

7 months later
    #38 3 years ago

Updating this toppic because right now it's 40 years ago when STEVE McQUEEN died in Mexico in the early morning around 3 AM.
    The longer he's dead the more it becomes clear that he was the greatest of all time and he will be forever.

God save McQueen !

SMQ playing pinball (resized).jpgSMQ playing pinball (resized).jpgsie62qxapun (resized).pngsie62qxapun (resized).png
    4 months later
    #39 3 years ago

Celebrating Steve McQueen's 91st Birthday today.

Steve McQueen St Louis 1958 (resized).jpgSteve McQueen St Louis 1958 (resized).jpg
    #40 3 years ago
    15626288_1187358011312866_1681482545628870704_o (resized).jpg15626288_1187358011312866_1681482545628870704_o (resized).jpg
    #41 3 years ago

Celebrating Steve McQueen's 91st Birthday today.
    [quoted image]

Might be a Bally Double Header bingo.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #42 3 years ago
    quote-nobody-trusts-anyone-or-why-did-they-put-tilt-on-a-pinball-machine-steve-mcqueen-131-1-0137 (resized).jpgquote-nobody-trusts-anyone-or-why-did-they-put-tilt-on-a-pinball-machine-steve-mcqueen-131-1-0137 (resized).jpg
    #43 3 years ago

I loved him in 'Nevada Smith'. It was made in '66 but it has a definite late-50s look and feel to it.

#44 3 years ago

One of my earliest memories of going to the movies other than Star Wars and Empire is seeing "The Hunter" with my parents at a drive in. Would have been 9 at the time and I assume I was bored out of my mind. Pretty sure it was late in the movie's run because I seem to remember my parents saying he had already died at the time.

Have watched a few McQueen movies over the years, and some hold up great - Great Escape and Bullitt, naturally.. (The Hunter didn't, in my opinion.)

I like weird little bands nobody ever seems to have heard of. This is The Javelins. They later changed their name to The Faintest Ideas. A Swedish band that wrote and sang in English, sold a modest amount of records and broke up 12+ years ago. But their debut 7" was called "Steve McQueen" and I dig it.

You're always drunk on the dance floor / You think that you are / Steve McQueen

Yeah we look pretty much the same / But you're a bit more lame
    And I look a bit more groovy and mean / Yeah, you know, like Steve McQueen.

#45 3 years ago

Everybody knows the best Steve McQueen song is "Starfucker."

#47 3 years ago

Jesus, I'm the same age as McQueen when he died. That California sun really screws up your skin, he looked 20 years older than I do now. Wear sunscreen kids!

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

I loved him in 'Nevada Smith'. It was made in '66 but it has a definite late-50s look and feel to it.

Absolutely - that's one of the first things that I thought when I watched it. Some stupid folks state that SMQ wasn't a good actor and only played himself, but you just have to look at him in his westerns filmed in 60, 65 or 79 - he's a whole different person in each of them.

I hate safety-belts. Here in Germoney any car manufactured earlier than May 1970 does not need them, and that's one more reason to drive an old car for me.

Most people seem to dislike THE HUNTER and I often think about it. I think it's sad, because if you look closely there are lots of hints and reminiscenses for his earlier movies. He surely knew then that he didn't have much time and I'm quite sure he wanted to put some message in this movie.

#49 3 years ago

Some stupid folks state that SMQ wasn't a good actor and only played himself

The best and most-loved ones do that in most of their roles. The ones where people say "in real life he/she was exactly the same person as they were in the movies".

#50 3 years ago

A good documentary movie about him is An American Icon that goes over his later life. There's even a Lethal Weapon 3 movie as Mel Gibson was interviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/Steve-McQueen-American-Greg-Laurie/dp/B079K146KN

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-mcqueen-1930-1980-90th-anniversary and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.