IMG_3993 (resized).JPG
IMG_3992 (resized).JPG
IMG_3990 (resized).JPG
unnamed (2) (resized).jpg
blownfuse and dog (resized).jpg
IMG_0561 (resized).JPG
DSCN1097 (resized).jpg
DSCN1086 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago

Oh no

Sad news indeed--it's quite a blow for the community. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences and sympathy to his family.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Steve was an inventor *and* a people helper. I wanted to share with you one of his inventions that didn't involve pinball, but demonstrated his commitment to helping people.
After just a few weeks of being in the hospital in SF, in early summer, Steve shared with me that he was very surprised by how tough the initial treatment was. He had wished the doctors would have been more forthcoming in preparing him for "what to expect next"... "They just didn't prepare me very well for this, and you know... I'm one of the lucky ones here to have friends and family supporting me through this..."
Steve, being a creative problem solver, and having lots of time on his hands, (and no pinball machines to tinker with there) had already committed himself to generating a big solution:
"Listen, when I have this thing licked, I'm going to come back and volunteer at this hospital and create a new program that empowers doctors and nurses to better help people prepare mentally for what's coming each week in treatment so it's more tolerable and less surprising. I shared the idea with all the nurses here, who are really great btw (but most of them haven't beaten this disease first-hand), and they think it's a good idea. They are looking forward to seeing me return and start up the program. It would be a sort of a pilot here at this hospital. If it works out, perhaps other hospitals will adopt the program. It could make a real difference! Survivors of cancer could volunteer to return as guides, and help others through it who are new and wondering what's coming next. Mof, some of these people are fighting cancer alone..."
While that's not verbatim, it gives you a quick sense of who Steve was and how his mind and heart operated. He imagined how others might be suffering or struggling, and he saw a way he could generously share time and resources to make a difference and bring more peace of mind to others. And he was compelled to be that helpful guy -- ready to lead by example.
To me, that's one quality that was so neat about Steve. He was compelled to be generous and help people. Such a great example of how to live a good life.
-mof

Just wanted to chime in that something like that has started up within the past few years, so the idea Steve had certainly won't disappear.

https://www.livestrong.org/what-we-do/program/livestrong-at-the-ymca

http://www.ymca.net/livestrong-at-the-ymca/

http://www.livestrongattheymca.org

1 month later
#184 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing.

Seeing his empty coat and hat hanging there made me sad

5 months later
#190 6 years ago

I saw there were some photos at the bottom of the pinball news article the memorial for Steve at the show:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/09/13/pin-a-go-go-2017/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 45.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Pinball Haven

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-charland-rest-in-peace?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.