IMG_3993 (resized).JPG
IMG_3992 (resized).JPG
IMG_3990 (resized).JPG
unnamed (2) (resized).jpg
blownfuse and dog (resized).jpg
IMG_0561 (resized).JPG
DSCN1097 (resized).jpg
DSCN1086 (resized).jpg
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

RIP blownfuse you fought a brave fight and now you are beyond pain... that all stays on this side with us

#102 7 years ago

I was saddened to hear this terrible news of Steve's passing. Steve was such a nice guy, and didn't deserve this. He fought a hard battle.
I'll cherish the times I had spent with him.
Seven Spirits at one show will never happen again.
May you rest in peace Mr.Charland
Our pinball community lost a great friend

#103 7 years ago

I hate logging on to pinside to see the splash black and white. My condolences, I have never met you but it seems that your reputation precedes you. Thank you for all you have done for the community and it appears that the world was a better place having known you. That in and of itself says much. Rest in peace!

#104 7 years ago

Rest In Peace Steve. Your spirit will live on here in the pinball community.

#105 7 years ago

Rest In Peace Steve.

#106 7 years ago

Dang. I just can't come up with words. Steve charland was the best friend you could ever have. His smile was enormous, his laugh filled you with joy. His stories kept you entertained. I am truly upset that I didn't get enough time with this man. He was a saint. RIP Steve Charland (Blownfuse) my condolences go out to his family.

#107 7 years ago

Wow... this news is very hard to take. I (we) thought Steve was on the rebound. This is quite a blow to the pinball community and his family.

Steve was such a corner stone to the pinball community. Always available to help, and had great stories to share as well.

Rest in peace Steve. You'll be greatly missed!

#108 7 years ago

I never spoke with Steve personally, but I can never forget who he was. I always recognized him at CAX and PAGG, and it's going to be sad not seeing that cowboy hat. RIP Steve.

#109 7 years ago

So sad....logged into Pinside this morning and saw the black and white header and knew that we had lost a great member of the pinball community....I "knew" Steve from 2001 rgp days...wow 16 years....he helped me on one of my first projects in this hobby. We have lost one of the greats...mortality is catching up to all of us old timers. Hug your family today in honor of Steve. RIP friend.

#110 7 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful things you have said about my dad. Last night we went to his favorite burger joint. We made sure to get our chocolate malts just like he would do every time. I read to my mom all the beautiful things people had to say about him. It made her smile to hear how much he has impacted the lives of others. My dads biggest fear was being forgotten. I think it's safe to say in the pinball community he will never be forgotten. His pinballs meant everything to him and he loved this community so much. Up until his last moments the conversation of pinballs could still get a reaction out of him. Thank you all for accepting him into your lives. To me he will always be the pinball wizard.

#111 7 years ago

Concolences to his family. I remember him from RGP, good times..

#112 7 years ago

posts steve made online 10 years ago helped me last week.. he's an immortal part of pinball now. vale

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Blownfuse_Spawn:

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful things you have said about my dad. Last night we went to his favorite burger joint. We made sure to get our chocolate malts just like he would do every time. I read to my mom all the beautiful things people had to say about him. It made her smile to hear how much he has impacted the lives of others. My dads biggest fear was being forgotten. I think it's safe to say in the pinball community he will never be forgotten. His pinballs meant everything to him and he loved this community so much. Up until his last moments the conversation of pinballs could still get a reaction out of him. Thank you all for accepting him into your lives. To me he will always be the pinball wizard.

I don't think anyone could ever forget him. He had a huge impact. I have seen outpouring of love here, facebook, instagram, everywhere with peoples memories of him. I hope you and your family are making it through this tough time as best as you can. All of us are thinking of you and holding you in our hearts.

#114 7 years ago

Going through old photos and came across this one. I think the hat is more Indiana Jones than cowboy.

Steve & Mario.pdfSteve & Mario.pdf

#115 7 years ago

Rest In Peace Steve Charland. CARGPB1
You were such a fun-loving and classy guy who will be missed greatly. Your pinball repair skills were of the highest Ninja levels. Blown Fuse, PAGG will not be the same without your presence.
~Steveo

CARGPB1 (resized).jpgCARGPB1 (resized).jpg

#116 7 years ago

Does anyone know if services will be held that friends can attend?

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Does anyone know if services will be held that friends can attend?

Information will be forthcoming I believe.

I spent yesterday in shock really, trying to hold it together, typing out responses, then erasing as there will never be the right words to explain the type of person Steve was. One of the nicest, most genuine person to have ever walked this earth. I do truly feel lucky to have known the man.

I know he is in a Sandbox up in the sky right now, playing Army Men with Al Garber.

RIP my friend.

#118 7 years ago

RIP fellow CARGPB!

#119 7 years ago

Like others, I had know idea he was so ill. He always made me laugh.
Some of us are getting to that age where this happens more and more. Keep in touch, see your friends, ill or otherwise.

#120 7 years ago

RIP Steve. my condolences to the family. I read a number of threads he participated in. Always seemed very helpful. I was hoping to hit him up for some advice when I finally get to working on my BH.

#121 7 years ago

I'd like to have met him, but never did. RIP Steve.

#122 7 years ago

RIP Steve. One of the first machines I bought was a Black Hole. I had posted an issue I was having on RGP. Next thing you know I received an email from Steve asking for my phone number. Within 5 minutes my phone was ringing. He called me up here in Canada and talked me through the issue. I'll never forget that. Huge heart and amazing willingness to help.

#123 7 years ago

didn't know him personally but I know a few of his post helped me a ton.

system 80 pins are an adventure

RIP

#124 7 years ago

speechless.. could not believe it.. sad beyond words :'''(

Steve, mon ami, I will miss you.

#125 7 years ago

All of us will miss Steve very much! This is such a sad time. I am so grateful to have met Steve at PAGG! he was such an asset to our hobby!

Rob

#126 7 years ago

Never had the pleasure to meet CARGPB#1 in person but what a helpful fella. Certainly aided me with System 80 stuff over the years. Helped so many people. So positive.

RIP Steve.

#127 7 years ago

Reading this really saddens me, Steve was one hell of a nice guy and he didn't deserve this Like others, I was hoping that he would pull through and see him again at a future pin party or event. R.I.P. buddy, I'll never forget our conversations about pins, cars, house projects, etc. Watching you play pinball in such a masterful controlled manner was also a privilege. I hope your incredible collection of games will be cared for and preserved by your family. I know they were your pride and joy.

I have a few pics of Steve on my computer I'll find and post later this week. R.I.P. friend

#128 7 years ago

Was alerted yesterday afternoon by my friend Pascal Janin , and I am devasted . I have known him since 1995 .
Steve , we shared the same passion, the same addiction for the Gottlieb Star 80 Series for soooo many years ... , despite the 6000 miles distance between us ; we exchanged so many emails , tricks & tips ... during the last 20 years ... We were of the same SPIRIT, definitely.
I feel so guilty I could not manage to meet you in Ca. some day.
The only time I could stay in Ca and had some spare time overthere (about 10 y.ago...) , you were fishing somewhere in Alaska no luck !....

You will be missed forever by all of us , both sides of "the pond" , and everywhere in the world I guess , You were not only the CARGPB#1 , you were our #1 Gottlieb 80 Guru , you were our "Gottlieb 80 POPE"

Rest in peace Steve.

Jean-René Karr , France

#129 7 years ago

Rest in peace....

#130 7 years ago

I am new to this site so did not know Steve but just by reading the posts I can tell what a great and fun guy he was. I love the pics with the cowboy hat - gives me a great feeling. Anyone that reaches out to help strangers just out of the goodness of his heart is an awesome person. Very sad to hear the news - condolences to his family.

#131 7 years ago

What a tremendous loss to the pinball community. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I talked to him on the phone for 3 hours one night. He was very friendly and always willing to help people out. So sad to hear of his passing

#132 7 years ago

PAGG won't be the same without Steve, he always brought a couple of amazing sys80 pins for others to enjoy.
Rest In Peace and condolences to his family.

#133 7 years ago

Steve was an inventor *and* a people helper. I wanted to share with you one of his inventions that didn't involve pinball, but demonstrated his commitment to helping people.

After just a few weeks of being in the hospital in SF, in early summer, Steve shared with me that he was very surprised by how tough the initial treatment was. He had wished the doctors would have been more forthcoming in preparing him for "what to expect next"... "They just didn't prepare me very well for this, and you know... I'm one of the lucky ones here to have friends and family supporting me through this..."

Steve, being a creative problem solver, and having lots of time on his hands, (and no pinball machines to tinker with there) had already committed himself to generating a big solution:

"Listen, when I have this thing licked, I'm going to come back and volunteer at this hospital and create a new program that empowers doctors and nurses to better help people prepare mentally for what's coming each week in treatment so it's more tolerable and less surprising. I shared the idea with all the nurses here, who are really great btw (but most of them haven't beaten this disease first-hand), and they think it's a good idea. They are looking forward to seeing me return and start up the program. It would be a sort of a pilot here at this hospital. If it works out, perhaps other hospitals will adopt the program. It could make a real difference! Survivors of cancer could volunteer to return as guides, and help others through it who are new and wondering what's coming next. Mof, some of these people are fighting cancer alone..."

While that's not verbatim, it gives you a quick sense of who Steve was and how his mind and heart operated. He imagined how others might be suffering or struggling, and he saw a way he could generously share time and resources to make a difference and bring more peace of mind to others. And he was compelled to be that helpful guy -- ready to lead by example.

To me, that's one quality that was so neat about Steve. He was compelled to be generous and help people. Such a great example of how to live a good life.

-mof

#134 7 years ago

I never got to meet Steve but I will always be thankful to him for documenting the conversion of Black Hole to seven digit scoring. I will always think of him when I step up and play a game on my Black Hole. I wish I had got to meet him and talk some System 80 ....

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Steve was an inventor *and* a people helper. I wanted to share with you one of his inventions that didn't involve pinball, but demonstrated his commitment to helping people.
After just a few weeks of being in the hospital in SF, in early summer, Steve shared with me that he was very surprised by how tough the initial treatment was. He had wished the doctors would have been more forthcoming in preparing him for "what to expect next"... "They just didn't prepare me very well for this, and you know... I'm one of the lucky ones here to have friends and family supporting me through this..."
Steve, being a creative problem solver, and having lots of time on his hands, (and no pinball machines to tinker with there) had already committed himself to generating a big solution:
"Listen, when I have this thing licked, I'm going to come back and volunteer at this hospital and create a new program that empowers doctors and nurses to better help people prepare mentally for what's coming each week in treatment so it's more tolerable and less surprising. I shared the idea with all the nurses here, who are really great btw (but most of them haven't beaten this disease first-hand), and they think it's a good idea. They are looking forward to seeing me return and start up the program. It would be a sort of a pilot here at this hospital. If it works out, perhaps other hospitals will adopt the program. It could make a real difference! Survivors of cancer could volunteer to return as guides, and help others through it who are new and wondering what's coming next. Mof, some of these people are fighting cancer alone..."
While that's not verbatim, it gives you a quick sense of who Steve was and how his mind and heart operated. He imagined how others might be suffering or struggling, and he saw a way he could generously share time and resources to make a difference and bring more peace of mind to others. And he was compelled to be that helpful guy -- ready to lead by example.
To me, that's one quality that was so neat about Steve. He was compelled to be generous and help people. Such a great example of how to live a good life.
-mof

Just wanted to chime in that something like that has started up within the past few years, so the idea Steve had certainly won't disappear.

https://www.livestrong.org/what-we-do/program/livestrong-at-the-ymca

http://www.ymca.net/livestrong-at-the-ymca/

http://www.livestrongattheymca.org

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Awesome thanks for sharing!

Played a game in your honor tonight Steve!

#137 7 years ago

I am truely saddened by the loss of Steve. My mentor and friend. From my early days at my first Pagg, his kindness and giving of knowledge had me hooked on the hobby we all love. I hope I can even give a portion of what he has back. He could listen to a game and know what switch was not right. He taught me how to read EM schematics on his coffee table. I may forget some of the things he taught me, but I'll never forget the man that gave so much to so many. The image I'll always have is his smile.
While playing a game together,I had just drained my ball early and it bounced back into play but I turned around , he says "never give up". I believe that was how he looked at his life too.
#1 you'll be very missed and remembered.
Timathie Cargpb#15

#138 7 years ago

I never met him personally, but always enjoyed his enthusiasm and helpful input here on Pinside and RGP. A very devastating loss for the pinball community. My condolences to his family and to those of you who knew him personally and are grieving his passing. Rest in peace, pinball brother.

#139 7 years ago

I didn't know Steve but sounds like he was a great guy. Rest in Peace! My condolences to the family and close friends.

#140 7 years ago

So sorry to hear of this. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

#141 7 years ago

Sad news...

#142 7 years ago

This guy really sounds like my kind of person and player. Reading the story about changing the hospital and helping staff rings with me. I'm the same way.

I probably would have known him given time... Rip again...

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I never got to meet Steve but I will always be thankful to him for documenting the conversion of Black Hole to seven digit scoring. I will always think of him when I step up and play a game on my Black Hole. I wish I had got to meet him and talk some System 80 ....

Agreed. He was the go to source on Black Hole. We need someone to make Steve Charland edition 7digit gottlieb displays or something. Sad news.

#144 7 years ago

So sad, he will be truly missed

#145 7 years ago

I like the Pinside tribute with the blown fuse and candle.

LTG : )

#146 7 years ago

today's moment - tribute to....

Tribute.JPGTribute.JPG

#147 7 years ago

Team PAGG at arcade expo, missing our brother

IMG_3653 (resized).JPGIMG_3653 (resized).JPG

#148 7 years ago

A name well know in the pin community ....... RIP Steve.

#149 7 years ago

Thoughts go out to his family. The shocking part is, like others said, that it seemed like he was through the darkest part of his fight, and then very unexpectedly it's all over. Wow. Super bummed out.

#150 7 years ago

I use to be Steve's close neighbor. What a friendly and amazing man. He helped me so much when I started the hobby. I am speechless, he was the Ultimate Pinball Guru and will always be. I will miss him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 64.99
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-charland-rest-in-peace/page/3?hl=pascal_j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.