RR_(resized).jpg
little-caesars-off-the-grid_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
ass_(resized).jpg
02cad6d9295c145bc423c5e78435ae090c15b7a8.jpeg_(resized).jpg
f9c730392e6fe5be047999f469161c77ec271f99.jpeg_(resized).jpg
Vendo_V21_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

Just wanted to share my experience with Sterns warranty and customer support. I posted my Kiss pro decal issues earlier and I wanted to share my experience with Stern. My machine is 4 months old and the decals are just rippling in several spots. They were only willing to send side rails to cover it. No decals were offered. It was take the rails or nothing. Then it was explained to me that they only warranty the pcb boards for 2 months and the dmd for 9. Nothing else is covered as expressed in the warranty. Its shocking that for the money we pay they do not stand behind the product and they did not seem to care about losing my bussiness. I will be sticking with used machines because of this experience.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

I've had them replace parts past warranty so I disagree

#3 8 years ago
#4 8 years ago

Did you try going through your distributor ?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I'm with Flank on this! I bought a "newish" return off of eBay and they sent me part of the missing wire harness, no questions asked.

#6 8 years ago

I think it is just hit or miss with them to be honest. Have you talked to your distributor? For issues like this I would discuss with your distributor. They have way more leverage.

#7 8 years ago

I'm also paranoid to buy a new machine. There's been a substantial number of significant problems reported, and it seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot how Stern handles them. Sometimes someone gets a first-class solution, other times, like the OP, they're left unsatisfied.

I know the people with problems make the most noise, so it's difficult to guess at statistics. But my impression is also that it's safer to buy in the secondary market.

#8 8 years ago

I had the same problem with my kiss decals (search post here on pinside).
Stern would give me new decals...
My distributor give me a new pin!!!

#9 8 years ago

How did you speak to them?

I've never had a problem with them.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm also paranoid to buy a new machine. There's been a substantial number of significant problems reported, and it seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot how Stern handles them. Sometimes someone gets a first-class solution, other times, like the OP, they're left unsatisfied.
I know the people with problems make the most noise, so it's difficult to guess at statistics. But my impression is also that it's safer to buy in the secondary market.

I'm paranoid to go outside.

#11 8 years ago

In both of your threads it was suggested you contact your distributor, you have yet to comment on if you have and what they said...

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How did you speak to them?
I've never had a problem with them.

I send an email with pictures to patrick powers and my distributor did the rest...

#13 8 years ago

(never mind, found the thread with pics)

#14 8 years ago

I did go through my distributor and the resolution from Stern was side armor rails. No options of decals. It was presented as take the rails or nothing. Stern said the rails cover the issue and I could push out the other ripples on my own. The game had bad coin box decal out of the box. Stern took care of that issue with no problems. Within 2 months of that repair both side decals are rippling front and back. Made another complaint of it to Stern and to distributor and the issue is closed on their end. That is why I am upset with them. I do not hate Stern machines. Owned several new in box. This is the first machine I wish I never bought.

#16 8 years ago

They have always been good for me and my friends that have bought machines. Heck they replaced the entire playfield (mechs and all) on my brothers Metallica for some minor chipping around the magnet. This was just a month ago.

#17 8 years ago

They were dicks to me on the phone the other day when I had to call. Just cocky and arrogant. I hung up on them. Never again. I'll take care of my own issues.

#18 8 years ago

I agree the WRITTEN WARRANTY sucks!, However I agree that I have called Stern past warranty and they could not have been more helpful. I also have full confidence that if I go through my distributor he will make it right even if Stern does not.

I am not a fan of decals, I wish they would go back to printed on cabs, etc.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballbuyer:

Its shocking that for the money we pay they do not stand behind the product and they did not seem to care about losing my bussiness.

It's in the manual and on Stern's website that NOTHING except the PCBs and Displays are covered by warranty.

You call Stern anyway, about an issue that is NOT covered by their warranty.

They offer you a solution, for free, for your non-warranty issue.

You complain that Stern does not stand behind their products?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I am not a fan of decals, I wish they would go back to printed on cabs, etc.

Much more durable!

#21 8 years ago

I had an LED burn out on my STLE and short open causing the TIP102 (I think) transistor to blow. Emailed them about it (Patrick gave me the number to call in an email but had a typo on it so I called a phone sex hotline from work...) Then they just told me to take it to an electronics repair shop to fix it on my dime. What the hell was the point in having me call them back? They could have just as easily told me I was on my own via email.

#22 8 years ago

I have had to get replacement parts a few times. In one case a board failed and was well past warranty, in one case a part broke shortly after unboxed a new game, and in one case several parts were scratched during transport in my vehicle {had to be unboxed to fit in the car). So three different situations, and in each case the service from Stern was unbelievable. In one case I received effectively an entirely new head to replace one where the finish was scratched. Yes, it was empty, but shipping weight alone was over 20lbs and there was no charge to me at all. They've even looped in designers when there were questions about part longevity in case something needed to be redesigned.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but I have nothing bad to say about Sterns service. I wish other manufacturers stood behind their products the way they do.

#23 8 years ago

Just wanted to share my experience with Sterns warranty and customer support. I posted my Kiss pro decal issues earlier and I wanted to share my experience with Stern. My machine is 4 months old and the decals are just rippling in several spots. They were only willing to send side rails to cover it. No decals were offered. It was take the rails or nothing. Then it was explained to me that they only warranty the pcb boards for 2 months and the dmd for 9. Nothing else is covered as expressed in the warranty. Its shocking that for the money we pay they do not stand behind the product and they did not seem to care about losing my bussiness. I will be sticking with used machines because of this experience.

image_(resized).jpeg

Yup, your right. Sometimes they cover things and other times they suck...I have had both experiences. I will also no longer buy new especially with all the price increases. I have never heard of an item this expensive when if you have an issue, assist you in the troubleshoot, they mail you parts(maybe), and have you fix it.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

I had an LED burn out on my STLE and short open causing the TIP102 (I think) transistor to blow. Emailed them about it (Patrick gave me the number to call in an email but had a typo on it so I called a phone sex hotline from work...) Then they just told me to take it to an electronics repair shop to fix it on my dime. What the hell was the point in having me call them back? They could have just as easily told me I was on my own via email.

Get used to those LED boards going bad!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I have never heard of an item this expensive when if you have an issue, assist you in the troubleshoot, they mail you parts(maybe), and have you fix it.

A pinball machine is a piece of COMMERCIAL vending equipment. It is meant to be serviced on site.

If you wanted some kind of in-home service, you could buy "The Pin" (it comes with one year in-home service). It's intended market is home use.

-

Imagine the people who collect Coca-Cola vending machines.

Even if you bought a new $4000 machine, Vendo is not coming to your basement to fix it. They are not going to send you new decals if you have a bubble or lifting around a bolt head.

If something breaks that is covered under the 90 day warranty, you will be sent the part, and you are on your own to install it.

Vendo_V21_(resized).jpgVendo_V21_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago

well, same as for all other stuffs, not only in pinball... some are happy, some not, depends on how things are going

to me, every time i needeed support under (and even over !) warranty, all goes perfectly, tanx to Patrick P. !
he's the man for sure, may be the one to contact...

#27 8 years ago

"SPI offers a full-line of commercial and consumer pinball games, merchandise, parts and accessories that are sold to pinball operators, enthusiasts and fans around the globe. "

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A pinball machine is a piece of COMMERCIAL vending equipment. It is meant to be serviced on site.
If you wanted some kind of in-home service, you could buy "The Pin" (it comes with one year in-home service). It's intended market is home use.
-
Even if you bought a new $4000 machine, Vendo is not coming to your basement to fix it. They are not going to send you new decals if you have a bubble or lifting around a bolt head.
If something breaks that is covered under the 90 day warranty, you will be sent the part, and you are on your own to install it.

Vendo_V21_(resized).jpg

This is lost on so many people........

#29 8 years ago

Maybe extended warranty for a fee could solve warranty problems?

#30 8 years ago

If you are not happy with what Stern is selling than don't buy it. I don't think it's fair to say Stern has horrible support just because you are not happy with their response to one issue. They don't hide their phone number and seem to always attempt to help out owners whether the games are under warranty or not. Cosmetic issues are always a bit of a gray area when it comes to warranties. I just don't see Stern being responsible for every nick, scratch, or bubble on every machine.

#31 8 years ago

I go through my distributor and have never had a problem and they've replaced parts in a game that was nearly 2 years old. Big thumbs up to there warranty from me

#32 8 years ago

On the few issues I've had on my Stern pins, the warranty & service has been outstanding!!

#33 8 years ago

Nothing but positive experiences working with Stern. They have sent out replacements parts long after "warranty" was up.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Your comment is completely anecdotal. You got lucky because of who you spoke with on that particular day. Their expressed written warranty is extremely skimpy.

Quoted from vid1900:A pinball machine is a piece of COMMERCIAL vending equipment. It is meant to be serviced on site.
-

Vendo_V21_(resized).jpg

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. Stern must know that the bulk of their buyers are home users. Quality has taken a huge nosedive over the last couple of years. Home users can't even keep the machines looking good and playing right. These things must get trashed in pretty short order on route. Stern's peak for quality, in my opinion was their output from 06-08 (POTC, SM, and BDK). Those are well-built machines.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Stern's peak for quality, in my opinion was their output from 06-08 (POTC, SM, and BDK). Those are well-built machines.

What, exactly, is of lesser quality on a Star Trek? I pop the hood on that and it looks a lot like the underside of my SM. I honestly could be missing something, but I can't really spot any glaring differences.

#36 8 years ago

Well that 07 spidey.....your hand might get cold when you grab the apron....not so on your ST.... ................Joey

#37 8 years ago

Why are some folks apologizing for their terrible written warranty?

Sure they might have an internal policy to replace certain parts or problems, but they aren't obligated to help you and can choose to not fix problems regardless of their cause. I have read many threads talking about issues regarding Stern's decals being problematic and they aren't covered under the warranty. They could paint directly onto the cabinet and avoid these problems, but apparently that doesn't suit their interests at the cost of the customer who may or may not get problems resolved.

Cosmetic issues are a big deal now. People collect pinball machines and Stern is cashing in on this phenomenon with the LE models. If they want to sell machines to collectors they need to address these issues.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

What, exactly, is of lesser quality on a Star Trek? I pop the hood on that and it looks a lot like the underside of my SM. I honestly could be missing something, but I can't really spot any glaring differences.

There isn't any the quality is the same. And the clear coat has much improved on newer games since Spider-Man and pirates.

I did go through my distributor and the resolution from Stern was side armor rails. No options of decals. It was presented as take the rails or nothing. Stern said the rails cover the issue and I could push out the other ripples on my own. The game had bad coin box decal out of the box. Stern took care of that issue with no problems. Within 2 months of that repair both side decals are rippling front and back. Made another complaint of it to Stern and to distributor and the issue is closed on their end. That is why I am upset with them. I do not hate Stern machines. Owned several new in box. This is the first machine I wish I never bought.

The rails sound like a really good solution to me. The lollipop rails are nice and if they cover the issue that's great to snag those for free. After that you'll be better than new. Pinball isn't for the anal retentive OCD folks that have the "I'll know it's not factory" mentality.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Bizzenya:

Stern's decals being problematic and they aren't covered under the warranty. They could paint directly onto the cabinet and avoid these problems, but apparently that doesn't suit their interests at the cost of the customer who may or may not get problems resolved.

The quality of cabinet artwork has increased ten fold since they went to decals. Decals are replaceable and can be printed much higher resolution. The silk screened cabinets just looked terrible in the past.

#40 8 years ago

Stern is so sketchy, I'd never buy another new machine from them. I got lucky on my Metallica. One and out.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The quality of cabinet artwork has increased ten fold since they went to decals. Decals are replaceable and can be printed much higher resolution. The silk screened cabinets just looked terrible in the past.

In addition, having generic cabinets means better inventory control for them, and production management. They can knock out 10 METs or something small like that if needed, without having to order custom cabinets.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

You got lucky because of who you spoke with on that particular day.

Ive dealt with either Pat or Chas every time, I had fine experiences with them. I dunno, maybe they have bad days too because some douchebag hung up on them.

Quoted from usandthem:

Their expressed written warranty is extremely skimpy.

Well, thats fair I suppose, but I know Gweempose recently had his Aux board fry on Xmen and that game is way out of warranty and they didn't give him any hassle on getting it fixed up.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yeah whoever prefers silkscreened cabinets needs their eyes checked (queue the courtroom scene from My Cousin Vinny).

I bought a Tron LE when I still had a Pro. The silkscreened cabinet felt like so much of a downgrade that I bought a complete set of decals just to have on hand.

LOTR and TSPP are the same way. It's like that scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the pointilism painting (man, 2 sweet movie references in one post, is there a Pinside achievement for that?).

At any rate. If I were you I'd just take the rails. Then ask about purchasing a set of decals at cost. Then either sell the rails, install the rails, or hold onto both the rails and decals in case yours get any worse.

It sucks, and the best thing would be to get them for free, but I feel like that is your best play given the circumstances.

#44 8 years ago

I agree with the Vendo Commercial Vending Machine argument on the Pro/Premium models, but as soon as you come out with an LE, Gary knows it is going to a residence, and therefore maybe the LE should include additional support/warranty etc since it will keep the LE money rolling in...

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Not much. Star Trek is along the same vein as Spidey, for sure. It does have pegs and a plastic apron and decals instead of silk screen and a 1K higher price. It does have LED's though.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

but as soon as you come out with an LE, Gary knows it is going to a residence

there are plenty of LEs on location...

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ive dealt with either Pat or Chas every time, I had fine experiences with them. I dunno, maybe they have bad days too because some douchebag hung up on them.

Well, thats fair I suppose, but I know Gweempose recently had his Aux board fry on Xmen and that game is way out of warranty and they didn't give him any hassle on getting it fixed up.

Again, it's hit and miss as your story of Gweempose illustrates. They cover a game that's way out of warranty, but won't do anything about a brand new game whose decals are falling clean off.

While I haven't bought a brand new game, I did get some ramps from Stern that must've had a problem as they were removed from the mold. They had some pretty big flaws. Stern took them back. When they gave me new ones, they threw in some protectors for good measure. So, I've been taken care of too, in a sense.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Maybe extended warranty for a fee could solve warranty problems?

Buy games from a local retailer - not a distributor - and this service will be provided to you.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

consumer pinball games

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I agree with the Vendo Commercial Vending Machine argument on the Pro/Premium models, but as soon as you come out with an LE, Gary knows it is going to a residence, and therefore maybe the LE should include additional support/warranty etc since it will keep the LE money rolling in...

Hiring a guy to come to an LE owner's house to deal with issues costs a lot of money which will come right out if stern's bottom line. So if LEs are to come with white glove service expect prices to rise significantly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-warranty-is-terrible?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.