(Topic ID: 111185)

Stern's Walking Dead LE one week after delivery....

By PinballChicken

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DavidPinballWizz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-792.jpg
image.jpg
image2 (2).JPG
IMG_1111.JPG

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't yet find the strategy common in other Lyman games like spiderman, Acdc, or Metallica where you always have a couple things you're trying to do. But that could be just because I don't fully understand the rules. I often get to points with massive scoring opportunities with 4 or 5 things stacked at once. That's when the game is fun.

Spent some extensive time on TWD Pro new code yesterday. I agree that having big stacks is where the most fun is in TWD. But I'd say the same of just about every modern pin that has stacking.

I suggest you try playing more CDC, Arena, or Tunnel modes and you'll find that they are both fun, and very lucrative scoring as well. Even in single ball play.

I disagree that there isn't enough to do on TWD. There is certainly a lot of "breadth" to TWD (breadth meaning multiple things to go for at any given time):
- Adv/start Prison MB, including 2 levels of the qualification process, with the 2nd level allowing the choice of clearing the red arrows via major shots or more prison bashing.
- Adv/start Well Walker MB
- Qualify/start Bloodbath MB via drops (one completion each of the supplies)
- Qualify mode start via drops
- Play a mode
- Kill walkers (which qualifies inlane shot X, Bicycle Girl, and EB)
- Qualify crossbow via drops ("Weapon")
- Play crossbow mini-mode
- Play Bicycle Girl mini-mode (not available all the time)
- Qualify/increase timer of 2x PF scoring
- Start 2x scoring
- Increase/try for Pops Jackpot
- Qualify/play the Woodbury shot
- Increase BonusX, "Bit" value, etc via upper lanes by intentionally hitting Woodbury shot, even when it's not lit.

That's a lot to choose from, in my opinion.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I can't wait to play Walking Dead LE...just waiting for someone in North Jersey to get one....

If you ever in Long Island near Kennedy airport, you're welcome to stop by and play ours.

-JR

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

You guys aren't seriously levelling the glass and lockdown bar.....

MNFlipper should know better too. that's a Newbie mistake.

#54 5 years ago

How does the Playfield look like after some games?
Is it same golf ball dimple looking like on ST LE after 25 or more games?

#55 5 years ago

I have now turned the corner completely! Wow! Can't stop playing this game.

#56 5 years ago

Wow.

Not newbies either.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Can't stop playing this game

I am right there with you! Great game indeed!

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I have now turned the corner completely! Wow! Can't stop playing this game.

Great!

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wow.
Not newbies either.

I set my level on the top of the backbox. What?

#60 5 years ago

I'm a certified Pinball Doofus and even I got that one right. HAHA

I think I picked it up after watching this Stern Setup Video when I was absorbing all things Pinball during the wait for my TWDLE.

At 11:06, Leveling Your Machine:

#61 5 years ago

OP it was a good read and I appreciate the review. Honestly, I don't think it was that long and even if it was it provided value.

That being said, what makes this thread different from the defense of any Stern NIB? I think it's intended to act as though the dissenters are wrong. I don't necessarily think that is the case though.

Liked your review, but let's let the overall market judge and we'll know when we see prices on LE's 6-12 months from now.

My belief and prediction is that they will fall somewhere between TAV and XMLE. I could be wrong.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Hey, that would be just as accurate as putting it on the glass!

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

My belief and prediction is that they will fall somewhere between TAV and XMLE. I could be wrong.

One major difference (and why you are wrong) is the rules in TWD. It's still early code and the rules are just way more fun than those 2 games already -> because Lyman does a great job with rules - period.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

OP it was a good read and I appreciate the review. Honestly, I don't think it was that long and even if it was it provided value.
That being said, what makes this thread different from the defense of any Stern NIB? I think it's intended to act as though the dissenters are wrong. I don't necessarily think that is the case though.
Liked your review, but let's let the overall market judge and we'll know when we see prices on LE's 6-12 months from now.

I disagree with your prediction, but agree with your timeline Eggy.

#65 5 years ago

Chickety china and the chinese chicken

You have a drumstick and your brain stops ticking

Watching X Files.....

Good job Pinball Chicken with the review, Sorry scrambled Eggy, but you are WAY off base!

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Chickety china and the chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops ticking
Watching X Files.....
Good job Pinball Chicken with the review, Sorry scrambled Eggy, but you are WAY off base!

While I agree with everything you just said, I disagree with none of it. That is all.

Over and out.

Roger Wilco.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

That's gangsta right there yo!

And who doesn't love some bare naked ladies?

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's not just short ball times but the way the plunges that can be frustrating. From the start you plunge the ball right into chaos not control. The ball plunges into the pops which can take a long time to come out and is very dangerous. It is not uncommon to plunge, wait on pops, drain down center, ball save repeat, on to ball 2 without ever hitting the ball.

Short plunge. Skill shots on many newer Stern games are sucker shots and TWD isn't an exception.

Quoted from markmon:

As for flow, the ramps are buttery smooth and easy to hit. But the left orbit shot is ruined by the right pop bumper. The ball will hit the skirt on the right pop preventing left orbit from properly flowing back to the flipper.

That's the way the game was designed. Surely you knew this before you bought the game?

Quoted from markmon:

I've made some tweaks to my game to help the flow. I added some sticky back Velcro to the exit rail on the left orbit shot directly above the right pop bumper. This seems to send the ball back towards the flippers far more often.

Your 'fix' will lead to lower overall scores.

Quoted from sk8ball:

The best use of shot multiplier is on the left orbit while super pops/ pop jackpot is lit as it adds 500k to the pop jackpot. So if you stack a 5x shot multiplier with 2x playfield it will add 5mil to the pop jackpot which can then still be collected at 2x for over 10 mil. Or if you get brave try to build up and collect with the shot multiplier as well!

Less time in the pops = less pop jackpots

#69 5 years ago

She's level image.jpg 149 KBimage-792.jpg 112 KB

That bubble in the second photo is definitely NOT level!!

#70 5 years ago

I haven't played the game, but for those who dislike the amount of time in the pop-bumpers, it could be programmed that when holding both flippers for over half a second (so it won't happen inintentionally) the pop-bumpers are disabled, just like in Gladiators (Gottlieb).
I kinda like that idea in Gladiators: time continues to run in a mode, no pause in the pop-bumpers, but you have the control of the pop-bumpers, so you don't have to loose precious time there.
Does anyone know if there are other games who do that?

Well, I do hope to play TWD someday soon. Though it's not my theme (far from it), I do think the layout looks very interesting. Just by pics and video's: I can see the comment of 'too many shots to the pop-bumpers' and having 2 (or 3: LE) bash toys could be overkill and one of them becoming a lane would have been nicer (i.e. under the ramp like in Road Kings, or a shot in the prison when doors are opened, so a real new shot is possible). But: Original skillshot, ramp-placement, shot to shooterlane.... I think it can be a fun layout to play.

#71 5 years ago

The pops are very useful for the Multiballs in this game, which are great.

I have to say that the LE is really quite a bit better than the pro. 1.19 on the LE is really fun.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

The pops are very useful for the Multiballs in this game, which are great.
I have to say that the LE is really quite a bit better than the pro. 1.19 on the LE is really fun.

Hope so, our 1st batch of LE's arrive next week down under
No offence to any Pro owners, we just haven't seen any LE's to make a comparison.
Mine's an LE and I'm counting the sleeps!

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Short plunge. Skill shots on many newer Stern games are sucker shots and TWD isn't an exception.

As always, thanks for your totally useless "advice". Plunging short results in the ball being, guess where, in the pops.

Quoted from phishrace:

Your 'fix' will lead to lower overall scores.

maybe. Maybe not. It leads to more fun which is why I play.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

How does the Playfield look like after some games?
Is it same golf ball dimple looking like on ST LE after 25 or more games?

Tumbs down on a serious question?????
You are so funny

#75 5 years ago

sorry but hard to take that question seriously

#76 5 years ago

To each his own, I'm very happy I made the purchase and love the game.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm very happy I made the purchase and love the game.

Me too!!...As long as there is a fix for the bicycle girl ramp, then I am all good!

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

Me too!!...As long as there is a fix for the bicycle girl ramp, then I am all good!

Are you referring to a fix for the airballs, or the inability to hit the ramp with the crossbow? I heard that Stern had sent out some shorter hex posts to some people to fix the airballs. Can anyone else confirm this? As for the crossbow, I assume this will be fixed in the next update.

#79 5 years ago

I was recalling the airballs...

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

One major difference (and why you are wrong) is the rules in TWD. It's still early code and the rules are just way more fun than those 2 games already -> because Lyman does a great job with rules - period.

I'm sure this is going to be a decent game. However, it's not going to be an "IT" game. There are too many games on the market right now to enjoy so if you bought TWDLE or TWD and you enjoy it more power to you.

Before you invest in an LE you had better sure as hell played this thing before spending $8K.

#81 5 years ago

I just played TWD LE for about 30 minutes.. Now that I understand the rule sheet better .. This game is a blast.. Didn't have STDM from the prison or the pop bumpers (Wasn't a major issue to begin with) Nailing the CDC left ramp repeatedly is damn fun.

My scores are generally in the 15-65mill range (V1.11 still)

I find getting the ball to go all the way up the left ramp difficult. Anyone else having this issue? My game is level...

Multiball. Its pretty hard to hit targets due to balls being everywhere. I know most people hold the balls but its hard.. What are you guys doing for this..

I still like my ST Pro better because of the flow shots and I can control the ball better..

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

My scores are generally in the 15-65mill range (V1.11 still)

Why haven't you updated the software? Lyman added a lot of stuff in the new code.

#83 5 years ago

"due to balls being everywhere. I know most people hold the balls but its hard."

That's what she said....................

#84 5 years ago

Up until last night, my GC score was 91 million. Last night, I have no idea what happened but I must have stacked stuff well because I had a multiball that just kept coming. Final score was 177 million. Great fun.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

sorry but hard to take that question seriously

Why? Its a fact that ST / STLE will get many small dimples. Did you ever seen a ST LE after 200 games, meaning having a close look to the playfield? Its for sure if steel hits wood its in the nature of the wood that you will see dimples there and not in the steel ball (if you need I can explain it in more detail for you )Same happen on B/W, older Stern, DE etc... But not in that manner, quantity! That's one of the reasons why playfield protectors have been released, especially for newer STERN, etc. As a owner of a NIB TWD LE I was looking for some experience from US guys having TWD / TWD LE earlier in their home as we in Europe.

So why is it hard for you to take that question seriously?

#86 5 years ago

you think playfield protector will keep ball dimples from happening? Unless it's a sheet of plexi it won't stop it, just harder to see with a sheet of mylar over the top.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm sure this is going to be a decent game. However, it's not going to be an "IT" game. There are too many games on the market right now to enjoy so if you bought TWDLE or TWD and you enjoy it more power to you.
Before you invest in an LE you had better sure as hell played this thing before spending $8K.

You forgot to include an "IMO" in your opinion

IMO it's too early to tell if this will be an A game or not. It very well could be, as it has everything needed so far. If the code ends up being an A, this WILL be an A game for me and I'm pretty confident that many other pinheads will feel the same.

As for too many games on the market - that's pretty irrelevant - either a game is an A game or it's not. TBL and TH could both be awesome -> but the rules will make or break them too.

It's funny to me, but at this time there's a lot of focus on SDTM drains - which are easily fixed, so it's really no big deal. The much more important factors in how good this game will be are the rules, layout and theme integration. The layout is awesome IMO, the theme and integration are awesome IMO, and the rules are poised to be awesome IMO. I'm pretty confident that many of the naysayers don't have a clue regarding the rules, and are therefore very shallow in their conclusions. But to each his/her own.

#88 5 years ago

Almost everyone who owns TWDLE will tell you It's the best game ever. Everyone who can't afford a TWDLE but want one will tell you blah! It's all about protecting your investment. When the next Stern title comes out, the same cycle will continue. Over & over & over again. Give the game time and let the new owners enjoy. With so many choices now, whoever wants TWDLE will have no problem buying without breaking the bank over the cost right now. Still waiting to play and decide to purchase. Enjoy your games everyone!

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from sven:

but you have the control of the pop-bumpers, so you don't have to loose precious time there.
Does anyone know if there are other games who do that?

WOZ has a setting to allow the bumpers to be stopped that way, but it's more about trying to aim the ball into the collect lane than worrying about timers (since pops stop the timers on WOZ).

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

You forgot to include an "IMO" in your opinion
IMO it's too early to tell if this will be an A game or not. It very well could be, as it has everything needed so far. If the code ends up being an A, this WILL be an A game for me and I'm pretty confident that many other pinheads will feel the same.
As for too many games on the market - that's pretty irrelevant - either a game is an A game or it's not. TBL and TH could both be awesome -> but the rules will make or break them too.
It's funny to me, but at this time there's a lot of focus on SDTM drains - which are easily fixed, so it's really no big deal. The much more important factors in how good this game will be are the rules, layout and theme integration. The layout is awesome IMO, the theme and integration are awesome IMO, and the rules are poised to be awesome IMO. I'm pretty confident that many of the naysayers don't have a clue regarding the rules, and are therefore very shallow in their conclusions. But to each his/her own.

I'm assuming you bought the game?

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Almost everyone who owns TWDLE will tell you It's the best game ever.

I'm an owner of the LE and didn't say that at all.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm an owner of the LE and didn't say that at all.

He did say "almost" everyone.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Almost everyone who owns TWDLE will tell you It's the best game ever. Everyone who can't afford a TWDLE but want one will tell you blah! It's all about protecting your investment. When the next Stern title comes out, the same cycle will continue. Over & over & over again. Give the game time and let the new owners enjoy. With so many choices now, whoever wants TWDLE will have no problem buying without breaking the bank over the cost right now. Still waiting to play and decide to purchase. Enjoy your games everyone!

I disagree. I own AC/DC premium and it's still too new of a game for me to say best ever. But a lot of newbs get infatuation with anything new. The lust lovers! Everything is exciting when it's new. How many relationships felt like "the best ever" going into the first couple of months. New puzzy is the devils candy.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm assuming you bought the game?

Yes - I played the Pro enough to know that I liked it a lot and decided to get an LE.

FWIW - I've taken the same approach for all my NIB purchases over the last 15 years and my picks of which games to buy have been very solid IMO...

MB, RFM, TSPP, LOTR, AC/DC, Tron, Metallica, ST, IMVE, TWD LE

I also made one other "pick" (Spiderman), but I didn't have the cash at the time.
Also, I made my decisions on these games quickly - before the general consensus of others decided they were "winners" - just like TWD

#95 5 years ago

Call me crazy, but I think if you hold the right flipper while the ball is being held by the prison magnet, it somehow 'charges' the magnet, and you are definitely not getting a SDTM. Try it. I've played on a Pro on location, approx 150 games. At first, I was having trouble with the magnet, and STDM balls. I can't take credit for this possible solution, as it was my girlfriend who noticed this.
By the way, she is simply a supportive Pin-Wife, and really seems to like TWD. She has asked me to go out and play. Most impressive.

Cheers from Canada, gents.

-Winston.

#96 5 years ago

Played twd le last night (also had quite some time on the pro earlier).

Absolutely love it. New dots and mode rules really complete this game.
Really really like the multikill animations.

Shot layout, combo's are really good.

I played a CDC mode yesterday worth 52M! With a final score of 172M (game had a 5 ball setup).

One negative: left ramp sometimes results in airballs. It has an anti arball plastic but this is not a nice solution (imo )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside