(Topic ID: 111185)

Stern's Walking Dead LE one week after delivery....

By PinballChicken

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DavidPinballWizz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-792.jpg
image.jpg
image2 (2).JPG
IMG_1111.JPG

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Warning, Long Post

Ok I finally received my Walking Dead LE about a week ago and have been playing on it as much as possible ever since. Leading up to receiving my game I have been anxiously reading each of the posts that detailed the games perceived strengths and weaknesses, with many of these posts being written by who had not yet actually played the game but who had watched videos of the game etc.

I have to admit that for a few moments I wondered if I had made the right decision to purchase this expensive game but I decided that I still liked the theme, the amazing art work in the cabinet and playfield as well as the included features in the LE so I kept my order in hopes that this pin would be a good one.

After having the game nearly a week now I wanted to quickly write and give you my thoughts. After living with, inspecting closely and playing with this pinball as much as possible I have to say that it was probably the best pinball purchase I have made in all my years of collecting pinball machines.

All the voice work complaints that I was so worried about before are truly not a big deal after playing the game for me because the voice work that was done actually relates directly to the series and the situations that tie the pin game play to the series. Also the voices sound very much like the real actors.....I know that many have said that this is not true however I love the series and those who say otherwise are not giving the voice work enough credit. This game more so than most other recent titles, is very engaging and brings you in to the game play and does not let you go. More so than most of my other pins this game has kept me engaged at a much deeper level.

The game play and flow was surprisingly smooth with long ball throws around the playfield. The game play is precise and it is obvious that great effort and planning was taken to make sure the flow was optimized as shots are smooth with both the orbit and ramp shots flowing and working very well. The game play is indeed fast but not too fast as some have said. The flow reminds me of my Tron LE or Spider Man.

The balls flow through the pop bumper area smoothly and better than any other machines pops that I have played. In fact the pop bumper and rollover switch areas of the upper right side of the playfield give the player some new unique ball movements that flip and spin the ball around the ramps of the area different and more entertaining than in others games where the balls sometime seem to get stuck too long in the pop bumpers with no real visual payout. Something better to understand once you play this game.

Speaking of flips and spins, the additional magnets, additional flip-up ramp on the bicycle girl ramp, the additional drop target, spinner and crossbow with magnetic diverter on the LE are amazing and greatly add to the game play, making me glad I got the LE, that being said the Pro models game play is still amazing and these additions are not a must have to make the game great. The giant well walker is actually not too big as some have said but is actually designed, sized and placed very well. I would like better longer Views of the lighted Guts area when the Well Walker flips back as in game play it flips back down (closed) so quickly you cannot see the guts very easily but overall it is designed well and does not look like a cheap add in.

Regarding the Well Walker, the shots from the flippers do not overly hit the Well Walker as I expected. You can easily shoot around it if you want and shots to it do not slow the flow like I would have thought. I was also excited to see that ramps on both sides of the playfield were able to be reached by each flipper which makes the game play that much more interesting.

The artwork was better than I expected, the Back Glass draws your eye and is very well done. The cabinet of the LE is much more timeless in my opinion than the Pro with its "Dead Inside" boarded up box look however the Pro Cabinet is still awesome with the actors and Rick pointing his revolver! Very cool. As far as the lighting, the combination of multi colored LED playfield lighting along with Red GI Lighting was exceptional! I had heard and read complaints that the GI lighting was too red on the LE model. Those claims are absolutely ridiculous! The light balance is outstanding. The pro model white lighting is great also but the LE brings it to a new better level. There is a great balance of multiple colors in the playfield and the GI lighting brings the feel of this game more in line with the more serious but fun theme. Having it side by side with many other pins the lighting blends in very well and the only changes I will be making are to better illuminate the bicycle girl under ramp area a bit better with a Pinball Refinery kit as well as additional high light lighting on the Well Walker and Woodbury area. I cannot help but tinker with each of my pins with mods here and there but if I did nothing at all the lighting ont the LE would be exceptional.

The extensive high quality sounds and amazing music of this machine bring you in to the game play in a way similar to but even better than in Tron. The Dot Matrix display work that was done on the Walking Dead pin has got to be award winning and I would say some of the best Dot Matrix work on any machine that I have played! I am amazed that the team that did this work was able to get so much detail and animation into this game with DOT matrix limitations, well done whoever you are!

Although the prices on these machines are getting absolutely ridiculously high and it is unfortunate as so many people are unable to enjoy this hobby because of this, I am very glad to have purchased this machine and I realize how blessed I am to be able to do so. I have what my wife would call a pinball collecting problem You know you have an amazing pin that will stay in your collection when after playing it for hours you cannot wait to go back and play it again. That is exactly the case with Sterns The Walking Dead LE.

If you have a chance to get some play time or better yet own one of these great machines I would jump on the chance.

As far as mods for this machine, I am planning on adding the Stern produced fish tank topper, the bloody armor, the walker head plunger, the inner sidewall decals and I am also adding the Pinball Refinery bicycle girl lighting improvement, the well walker lighting improvement and the Woodbury lighting mods. I am also adding a Stern Shaker motor as well as a couple of the small series character figures to my machine.

IMG_1111.JPG
image2 (2).JPG

#2 4 years ago

Awsome game room

#3 4 years ago

Good write up. Be sure to post some pics once you mod your pin out. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

great write up....I just got mine last week as well, one of the most fun pins in my lineup to play...Look forward to future code updates...

#5 4 years ago

After owning my TWDLE a couple weeks, I am on the fence. I have had some good games on it but also a ton of frustration playing it.

It's not just short ball times but the way the plunges that can be frustrating. From the start you plunge the ball right into chaos not control. The ball plunges into the pops which can take a long time to come out and is very dangerous. It is not uncommon to plunge, wait on pops, drain down center, ball save repeat, on to ball 2 without ever hitting the ball.

As for flow, the ramps are buttery smooth and easy to hit. But the left orbit shot is ruined by the right pop bumper. The ball will hit the skirt on the right pop preventing left orbit from properly flowing back to the flipper. The right orbit is a fun shot and flows back when hit.

The game is evil on the outlanes but that's not my main gripe. I think the pop bumpers are really what takes away from the game more than anything else.

The rules are starting to come alive and really have some awesome stacking. I don't yet find the strategy common in other Lyman games like spiderman, Acdc, or metallica where you always have a couple things you're trying to do. But that could be just because I don't fully understand the rules. I often get to points with massive scoring opportunities with 4 or 5 things stacked at once. That's when the game is fun.

I've made some tweaks to my game to help the flow. I added some sticky back Velcro to the exit rail on the left orbit shot directly above the right pop bumper. This seems to send the ball back towards the flippers far more often. I added a superband sleeve on the post exiting the pops which helps the pops exiting unhittable down the middle to happen less often. I removed the rubbers on the inlane of the left outlane area. This opened the outlane more but also prevents balls from hitting the inlane then bouncing out as often. These improvements all helped but I'd still like to see the pops less.

#6 4 years ago

What did it for me (Pro owner - NIB HUO) is the precision angle of the ramps and other shots. It is near impossible to back door the ramps, as in right flip right ramp - left flip left ramp. Guess Stern learned form ACDC as that's the entire strategy to play that title.

The new codes have not disappointed, and the game is just plain tough.
Hitting the same shot twice while not involved in a feature mode scores nada, making sure the player mixes up the shots.

My only complaint is the electro-mag needs to have code written in to prevent instant drain from activating the prison yard feature, but it should come.
The side outlanes remind me of playing an old Bally they are so wide open.

I've logged over 400 plays in a month, and still have not come close to accomplishing anything major.
Toughest Stern in a long, long time.

#7 4 years ago

GREAT POST! I own the LE and was also very paranoid after the initial doom and gloom here...but I could not be happier. Love the machine, the toys, the music. Very addictive. Beautiful art. This will likely be a permanent in my collection.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

After owning my TWDLE a couple weeks, I am on the fence. I have had some good games on it but also a ton of frustration playing it.
It's not just short ball times but the way the plunges that can be frustrating. From the start you plunge the ball right into chaos not control. The ball plunges into the pops which can take a long time to come out and is very dangerous. It is not uncommon to plunge, wait on pops, drain down center, ball save repeat, on to ball 2 without ever hitting the ball.
As for flow, the ramps are buttery smooth and easy to hit. But the left orbit shot is ruined by the right pop bumper. The ball will hit the skirt on the right pop preventing left orbit from properly flowing back to the flipper. The right orbit is a fun shot and flows back when hit.
The game is evil on the outlanes but that's not my main gripe. I think the pop bumpers are really what takes away from the game more than anything else.
The rules are starting to come alive and really have some awesome stacking. I don't yet find the strategy common in other Lyman games like spiderman, Acdc, or Metallica where you always have a couple things you're trying to do. But that could be just because I don't fully understand the rules. I often get to points with massive scoring opportunities with 4 or 5 things stacked at once. That's when the game is fun.
I've made some tweaks to my game to help the flow. I added some sticky back Velcro to the exit rail on the left orbit shot directly above the right pop bumper. This seems to send the ball back towards the flippers far more often. I added a superband sleeve on the post exiting the pops which helps the pops exiting unhittable down the middle to happen less often. I removed the rubbers on the inlane of the left outlane area. This opened the outlane more but also prevents balls from hitting the inlane then bouncing out as often. These improvements all helped but I'd still like to see the pops less.

Great write up by the OP and Mark. Mark, you put your finger on my issue with the orbits. You hit a great shot on the left orbit and are rewarded with too much pops. The right orbit is a rewarding shot.

I love the ramps and the bash toys are fun to me.

The option to short plunge to a flipper would be nice. Maybe if you held the left flipper to turn off pops for a quick skill shot.

I haven't changed any settings other than free play and my best score is just over 80 Mil.

Once Metallica was a little more advanced with the clear rules, I was able to enjoy it more. Looking forward to the same thing with TWD.

#9 4 years ago

Tough=repeat playability. Punishment=sell it and move on. This game is right there. On the cusp of frustration, then you stack modes, and get the multiballs moving, you love it.

When the initial pf design was released, I called my friend at Stern and told him everything I thought was wrong with the design and how I may have made a mistake buying sight unseen. He assured me it was going to play awesome and to not worry. Glad I listened. (I usually do.)

I would call the pf design brutal, and the rules rewarding. A strong mix like this happens in few titles. I can see this being a keeper.

#10 4 years ago

My first NIB purchase and I could not be happier. The first few updates have come quickly and really changed the game with each one. It is a tough pin and will take awhile to complete anything significant. but hey, at these prices isn't that what we want? Not only does it live true to the walking dead, but with each update it becomes one of the best horror based pins there is. The stacking can make one ball super intense and the next can become a quick 100,000 point loser. For those that love unpredictability and toughness, this pin is it!!

#11 4 years ago

Sounds great but the theme is a deal braker with the my wife and grandchildren. Same problem with bsd.

Looking for another good/great stern option.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Tough=repeat playability. Punishment=sell it and move on.

My wife and I really LOVE the show and were super stoked about this game coming out. However, I thought she was going to put a beatdown on the machine we played at expo. I was pretty MEH on the game experience overall, but man, she hated it. We were both really disappointed that we didn't love the game. Needless to say we backed out of our LE pre-order.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

My wife and I really LOVE the show and were super stoked about this game coming out. However, I thought she was going to put a beatdown on the machine we played at expo. I was pretty MEH on the game experience overall, but man, she hated it. We were both really disappointed that we didn't love the game. Needless to say we backed out of our LE pre-order.

Like I've stated to a few other Pinsiders who also backed out, at least you tried the game beforehand.

Pin is unique enough it may polarize some folks; I can easily see that.

#14 4 years ago

Two week status... Still in the box!!!

Maybe I should trade it for a tron le

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballChicken:

As far as mods for this machine, I am planning on adding the Stern produced fish tank topper, the bloody armor, the walker head plunger, the inner sidewall decals and I am also adding the Pinball Refinery bicycle girl lighting improvement, the well walker lighting improvement and the Woodbury lighting mods. I am also adding a Stern Shaker motor as well as a couple of the small series character figures to my machine.

IMG_1111.JPG 252 KB

image2 (2).JPG 263 KB

Holy shit! We have the exact same taste in games! AV LE blue, TF LE combo, Tron, POTC, LOTR, SM.

All you need is an IM, Xmen, and Metallica.

And I have certainly been coveting TWD LE...

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Two week status... Still in the box!!!
Maybe I should trade it for a TRON LE

OMG. Lorenzo. Didn't you buy 6 of em??? Open it up for godsake Mi Amigo!

#17 4 years ago

I am certainly in favor of difficult games (Avatar is one of my favorite Sterns and it can be pretty brutal.) However Avatar has few 'feeds' where successful shots put you directly in danger. TWD is so very close in my mind... great shot variety, lots to do... but so many shots feed into the pops and a dead ball coming out of the pops drains at a very high percentage. It forces you to slide-save half the freakin' time. I think Stern could put out an optional right hand side ball guide that changes the ball trajectory out of the pops. At this point I'd rather that exit feed into the slings than into the middle, that's how crazy that feed can be.

Otherwise, the rest of the game I have no complaints. Even the jailhouse shot which can SDTM isn't terrible, same thing on monger/Iron Man or Sparky. Ramps are awesome on this, shots are tight. Maybe it's like X-Men where the community will 'fix' a frustrating part of gameplay with a mod like the Wolverine mod?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

a dead ball coming out of the pops drains at a very high percentage.

A larger rubber on the left entrance post of the right ramp fixes this - the ball always bounces over to the left flipper. It only takes a few minutes to swap and your good - unfortunately games on location may not get the fix.

#19 4 years ago

glad you're enjoying your game but i've owned a quite a few of them for a week that i grew sick of after a month. way too early to know if you made the right choice. this totally looks like i'm peeing in your wheaties. sorry.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

A larger rubber on the left entrance post of the right ramp fixes this - the ball always bounces over to the left flipper. It only takes a few minutes to swap and your good - unfortunately games on location may not get the fix.

Larger rubber on post doesn't affect RH lane shot?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

glad you're enjoying your game but i've owned a quite a few of them for a week that i grew sick of after a month. way too early to know if you made the right choice. this totally looks like i'm peeing in your wheaties. sorry.

Ditto. Scared Stiff. Took a year to do a CQ restoration, then found out I couldn't stand the game.

Only took me 4 days. Wow. Goes to show how different the real thing is compared to Virtual Pinball.

#22 4 years ago

Looks great in your line-up. The glare is real, could use some invisiglass. Really appreciate you taking the time to do a full write-up, I was very curious about this game.

Thanks!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ditto. Scared Stiff. Took a year to do a CQ restoration, then found out I couldn't stand the game.

Infidel!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The ball plunges into the pops which can take a long time to come out and is very dangerous...

But the left orbit shot is ruined by the right pop bumper. The ball will hit the skirt on the right pop preventing left orbit from properly flowing back to the flipper. The right orbit is a fun shot and flows back when hit.

Do you feel Tron suffers from these aspects as well? I'm legit asking for your opinion; I'm not trying to argue, really!

I feel both of those comments can be levelled against Tron as well, particularly the left orbit comment as it ends in the pops, and the only thing on the plunge that is different is that on Tron you can super skill to the upper flipper or to the Arcade/Zen area, but a standard "joe schmo" plunge or a GEM atempt will put you in the pops.

#25 4 years ago

Good write up.

I rarely get any SDTM drains at all.
The prison magnet drops it to the left flipper tip and the pops exit deflects from the ramp black post sleeve to the left flipper.

#26 4 years ago

I can't wait to play Walking Dead LE...just waiting for someone in North Jersey to get one....

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Obviously, Borg likes this design. He did the same thing with Tron. The right orbit goes all the way around, but the left orbit gets caught in the pops.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Larger rubber on post doesn't affect RH lane shot?

The post sleeve rubber I used is just slightly fatter, made for Gottlieb or Bally?
I don't think it affects the ramp shot at all, but if it does it is very minor.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

OMG. Lorenzo. Didn't you buy 6 of em??? Open it up for godsake Mi Amigo!

Four but only one is mine #556 the other three I can drive 20 min in three direction and play anytime... Have a tron le on hook need to decide to open the game or make the trade....hmmmm

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Four but only one is mine #556 the other three I can drive 20 min in three direction and play anytime... Have a TRON LE on hook need to decide to open the game or make the trade....hmmmm

Easy, Tron LE!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I rarely get any SDTM drains at all.
The prison magnet drops it to the left flipper tip and the pops exit deflects from the ramp black post sleeve to the left flipper.

Yr Pin Isn't Perfectly Level then . That's Exactly the way i'm Gonna set mine up , either a Lil Low on the Left or Right , just a bit ..

#32 4 years ago

Great post. Two plus weeks owning an LE and loving it. I am not having the sdtm drain problem from the pops that a lot of people are struggling with though. The outlanes are a bitch but that's expected.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Do you feel Tron suffers from these aspects as well? I'm legit asking for your opinion; I'm not trying to argue, really!
I feel both of those comments can be levelled against Tron as well, particularly the left orbit comment as it ends in the pops, and the only thing on the plunge that is different is that on Tron you can super skill to the upper flipper or to the Arcade/Zen area, but a standard "joe schmo" plunge or a GEM atempt will put you in the pops.

The ball does not sit in the pops very much on Tron. The left orbit shots hit the pops but that's just about the only way to get there. I always left flipper plunge tron and gain immediate control of the first shot out of the plunge. The pops on tron never drain down the middle (sometimes left outlane). So on tron, the ball is not in the pops much and it's not such a risky area. On twd, the pops are way more active and its a very risky area.

Quoted from gweempose:

Obviously, Borg likes this design. He did the same thing with Tron. The right orbit goes all the way around, but the left orbit gets caught in the pops.

Tron doesn't suffered from the ball constantly being in the pops. It feels ok there.

#34 4 years ago

Loving my game (arrived last Wednesday) but I am still torn between the "tough" vs "punishing" analysis....outlanes are killing me....shots to the prison are SDTM on a too frequent occasion (although magnet no longer seems to be an issue, although it still happens sometimes). I like that multi-balls go on for a long time and the extra ball is fairly easy to get...that helps

sounds are simply the best I have ever heard on a pinball machine...great engagement

I highly recommend the shaker motor

I wonder how I will feel in 6 months??

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The ball does not sit in the pops very much on Tron. The left orbit shots hit the pops but that's just about the only way to get there. I always left flipper plunge tron and gain immediate control of the first shot out of the plunge. The pops on tron never drain down the middle (sometimes left outlane). So on tron, the ball is not in the pops much and it's not such a risky area. On twd, the pops are way more active and its a very risky area.

Tron doesn't suffered from the ball constantly being in the pops. It feels ok there.

Fair. My time on TWD was brief but I actually didn't see much pop action, nor many SDTM drains from them although I will say it feeds very different from Tron.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

shots to the prison are SDTM on a too frequent occasion

It is a risky shot, but once you spell PRISON the first time all the other shots are lit and you can either hit the lit shots or the prison to light multiball. I've found the other shots present a similar risk factor to the prison because they are all pretty tight - except the left ramp, but that's risky because of it's sharp incline.

IMO the Well Walker may be the safest shot, I can bash him like crazy and it's a lot of fun - especially when you're trying to rejuvenate Prison multiball by starting Well Walker multiball.

#37 4 years ago

I simply disabled the furthest to the right pop and it helped, although it wasn't that bad to begin with. I would have liked a smooth orbit shot from both flippers, did that with Metallica and IM in the adjustments and it helped with flow but its not a big deal in TWD. All pins for me need some adjustment to the factory set up for proper play.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I can't wait to play Walking Dead LE...just waiting for someone in North Jersey to get one....

I'm sure Gecko will score one by New Years.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Yr Pin Isn't Perfectly Level then . That's Exactly the way i'm Gonna set mine up , either a Lil Low on the Left or Right , just a bit ..

She's level

image.jpg image-792.jpg
#40 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

She's level

Now put a small Level on the playfield for a better reading

image.jpg 149 KB

image-792.jpg 112 KB

#41 4 years ago

Makes me happy when people's expectations are me. Enjoy your game my friend!

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

She's level

image.jpg 149 KB

image-792.jpg 112 KB

I would not necessarily consider that level. Best to have a level directly on PF.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I would not necessarily consider that level. Best to have a level directly on PF.

Mmmmm, I've always done it like mnpinball. Time to get a smaller level I guess. Thanks

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Four but only one is mine #556 the other three I can drive 20 min in three direction and play anytime... Have a TRON LE on hook need to decide to open the game or make the trade....hmmmm

First world problems.

#45 4 years ago

88 machines and you're leveling the glass/side rails?

Quoted from mnpinball:

She's level

image.jpg 149 KB

image-792.jpg 112 KB

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

She's level

image.jpg 149 KB

image-792.jpg 112 KB

You know that just means the cabinet and glass are level, has nothing to do if the playfield is actually level. I've had many B/W games where the cabinet was level but the mounts for the playfield were 1/4" offset from each other. Or mounted wrong from front to back.

#47 4 years ago

How do you adjust PF mounts?

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How do you adjust PF mounts?

You don't. It doesn't matter if the cabinet is level, just the playfield.

#49 4 years ago

Grab a cheap digital level, can't remember the one i have, it's green, and I usually measure it at the flippers, on the play field.

With my TWDLE, haven't needed to pull it out or adjust!

#50 4 years ago

You guys aren't seriously levelling the glass and lockdown bar.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 235.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside