SB-100-front.JPG
TopPins.JPG
U6.JPG
TopPinsBack.JPG
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 12.12.23 PM (resized).png
MPU-back.JPG
MPU-front.JPG
IMG_9516 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 12 months ago
Quoted from Mykenna:

Should be a lot of fun replacing the only 40-pin socket in this entire machine. Sigh.

I know replacing sockets isn't easy, but with a bit of practice it's not as bad as I thought it would be. With that type of socket, the black frame can be pried off, allowing you to remove the 40 individual pins.

Quench actually taught me a surprisingly effective method for removing those pins: use your fingers (or fingernails, if possible) to pull each pin out while heating The solder joint on the opposite side of the board. It takes a bit of practice and finesse, but I quickly found myself running down the whole row of pins with relative ease. I found I could use my index finger and thumb to grab the pin and gently pull on it while heating the solder from the back of the board. I never burned my fingers once! As long as you get in with a hot enough iron (and follow my other suggestion below), you should hopefully find it relatively easy. After the pins are out, then you can come back with a desoldering pump and finish clearing the holes.

Another tip: it may not seem to make sense, but it will actually help a lot to hit each of those solder joints with just a touch of fresh solder. When you come back to remove each of the pins, you'll find they will release much more easily (and it will help the final desoldering effort as well)...

Good luck! And remember--if you lose a couple pads, you can run jumpers if needed. If the socket is bad, you've got nothing to lose by trying to replace it. It's worthless otherwise!

#51 12 months ago

It sounds like I use a similar one as Bill. Mine is from a company called Panavise--but it looks like the exact same stuff from McMaster.

Here's the top half I use: https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=25

And the bottom half (with vacuum/suction bottom): https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=16

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-repair-lock-on?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.