Topic poll

“Have you had any issues with Sterns new LED DMD displays?”

• Yes (Line ON, Line OFF, Blank display, etc) 123 votes
    60%
  • No (Been running great!) 83 votes
    40%

(206 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0431 (resized).JPG
20150916_071045.jpg
20150915_233655.jpg
20150915_233636.jpg
20150915_233627.jpg
20150831_191015.jpg
Stern_LED_block_001_-_Copy.jpg
Stern_DMD_after_runDMD_026.jpg
Stern_DMD_after_runDMD_025.jpg
20150712_163218.jpg
image-611.jpg
image-818.jpg
dmd.jpg
BlackJack BK4000.jpg
Star Trek DMD problem 014.JPG
2013-11-21 17.43.30.jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#99 5 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

barakandl said:
remember, stern is probably using silver solder here. Bit more difficult to rework

epotech is correct and to top that off Stern is using a high temp lead free solder to be ROHS compliant & it is a PITA to un-Solder, try adding some regular Solder to the LED Blocks before you try to de-Solder them.

Kim

www.KimballsPinballs.com

#100 5 years ago

I also had the problem of having 3 slightly different color LED Blocks in a Stern Red LED DMD - the problem is that Stern's supplier uses whatever 8x8 LED Blocks they have laying around whether they are from the same manufacturing lot or not.

Stern said UNLESS a full LED Block was bad, a line was out, locked-on or 1 of the Blocks had a burned out pixel that they didn't consider it a defective/bad Display & they would absolutely not replace it, even after seeing a photo Pat P. admitted that while it looked bad that was Stern's policy:
"we won't replace it unless something was actually broken".

X-Pin had told me about this issue in the past as the 8x8 LED Blocks are made in odd size/number lots.
On the Stern Red DMD two of the different colored LED Blocks are on the bottom row where you can see that they are from 2 different manufacturing lots.

IIRC Brett said he can get 8 and a half LED DMD's per manufactured lot of 8x8 LED Blocks. Each DMD is 64 LED Blocks (4 Blocks tall by 16 Blocks wide) so he basically has to throw away half a Displays worth of LED Blocks (32 Blocks) if he wants them to match colors as well as possible (and he DOES ;-}).

Maybe contact Brett & see if he'll sell some of the left-over LED Blocks?
This is assuming they are the same type Stern uses - Common Anode

Kim

http://www.KimballsPinballs.com

#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Street:

Mine has a line on my AC/DC. Older than 9 months, but only 669 plays. Doesn't seem to fair for home customers that do not play or have theirs on as much as a op would. IMHO

I am in the exact same vote home use only under 600 plays and a line just appeared last week.

#102 5 years ago

I'm on the 4th display on my IMVE. First one died, the next two had dead pixels. Hopefully this one stays.

1 month later
#103 4 years ago

Hi Guys,

Anyone managed to purchase a block from a particular place, installed it and managed to fix the issue yet?

Some feedback if the colour has been matched and issue fixed would be great, same thing happened to Xmen Pro.

Thanks!

1 month later
#104 4 years ago

http://www.ledist-opto.com/matrix.htm
Here we can see LA-078811SE1WB and LA-078811HWB, exactly the same part number as led blocks in Stern DMD.

5 months later
#105 4 years ago

Just happened on my Star trek pro....... bummer! Funny thing though in dot matrix test all the dots come up ok? I even reloaded the software version just in case it was a system glitch and its still there ?.....20150712_163218.jpg

#106 4 years ago

you mean the line

i have seen this at a lot of the cheap stern displays

contact stern the should swap if you have guarantee

if you must buy a new one, don't do it swap to smartdmd or colordmd

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

you mean the line
i have seen this at a lot of the cheap stern displays
contact stern the should swap if you have guarantee
if you must buy a new one, don't do it swap to smartdmd or colordmd

no warranty as I got this after another owner..... its quite strange as I mentioned when I put this in dot matrix test all the dots look good and in test mode everything works perfectly except in game mode you see that thin vertical line....... waiting to see if a colour dmd will be issued then ill change over

#108 4 years ago

If you feel like swapping the LED module, the Stern Part Number can be found here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-stern-dmd-8x8-block-for-acdc-display#post-1777579

You need to replace the block that has the dim LED in the column from your picture.

#109 4 years ago

I had a single LED out in the middle of the display on my Met premium. Put in a color DMD as soon as they came out and never looked back!

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

If you feel like swapping the LED module, the Stern Part Number can be found here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-stern-dmd-8x8-block-for-acdc-display#post-1777579
You need to replace the block that has the dim LED in the column from your picture.

Thank you so much mate : )

#111 4 years ago

No problem, I hope it works out for you!

2 months later
#112 4 years ago

Joined the club. Contacted Stern, and my LUCI$$$ is past the 9 month warranty.

1) where can I purchase the part numbers provided in this post?
GPE??, sounds like something you could carry?

2)In the pictures below of my display, do I replace the topmost LED or the bottom LED?

Stern DMD after runDMD 025.JPG

Stern DMD after runDMD 026.JPG

#113 4 years ago

for future reference, here are the blocks in my LUCI

Stern LED block 001 - Copy.JPG

#114 4 years ago

Here are some practical threads if you want to order and replace it yourself or have some replace it for you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-stern-dmd-8x8-block-for-acdc-display#post-1777579
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-stern-led-dmd-repairs#post-2708884

You can get a replacement in the interim and use your repaired one as a spare.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3008

#115 4 years ago

My four month old Metallica Pro LED had a line locked on. I contacted Trent at Tilt Amusement and he got a replacement sent out to me with return postage for my old one. The replacement works, but it has been repaired. I questioned him about it and he said that Sterns' policy to repair the DMD's and send them out as warranty replacements. Trent said that the repaired one will likely outlast a new one because of all the problems with the new ones. We will see.... Needless to say I wasn't real impressed with Stern on this one.

20150831_191015.jpg

20150915_233627.jpg

20150915_233636.jpg

20150915_233655.jpg

20150916_071045.jpg

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Joined the club. Contacted Stern, and my LUCI$$$ is past the 9 month warranty.
1) where can I purchase the part numbers provided in this post?
GPE??, sounds like something you could carry?
2)In the pictures below of my display, do I replace the topmost LED or the bottom LED?
Stern DMD after runDMD 025.JPG
Stern DMD after runDMD 026.JPG

I can fix this exact issue.
Se my repair thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-stern-led-dmd-repairs

#117 4 years ago

I switched out my Stern display for a plasma. I may be the only one running a plasma in a Metallica.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-for-converting-sterns-with-red-led-display-to-plasma

#118 4 years ago

ita47,
your post is *very* helpful, for those of us willing to try the fix ourselves.

Thank you.

From your pictures, it appears Stern's fix is 4 parts

1) replace bad LED block (I've got a new Hakko, itching to be broken in)
2) replace C16 component? (maybe this was the root cause?)
3) replace (or re-flow?) J1 header pin
4) replace (or re-flow?) J2 header pin

Notes - mine issue appears like a Lock-on during usage. Others have reported 'dim lit'. Not sure if the cause and solution are the same.

Mike,
Thanks for the links.

To Solder_Splash,
I appreciate your offer, and thanks for the service tips.

Quoted from ita47:

My four month old Metallica Pro LED had a line locked on. I contacted Trent at Tilt Amusement and he got a replacement sent out to me with return postage for my old one. The replacement works, but it has been repaired. I questioned him about it and he said that Sterns' policy to repair the DMD's and send them out as warranty replacements. Trent said that the repaired one will likely outlast a new one because of all the problems with the new ones. We will see.... Needless to say I wasn't real impressed with Stern on this one.

20150831_191015.jpg 20150915_233627.jpg 20150915_233636.jpg 20150915_233655.jpg 20150916_071045.jpg

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Needless to say I wasn't real impressed with Stern on this one.

Geeze.... you think they could clean the flux off the board at least...

Quoted from ita47:

Trent said that the repaired one will likely outlast a new one because of all the problems with the new ones.

Not sure what logic Trent is using here. The remaining LED blocks are still the same manufacture run as the one that failed. Could be that, like Scott suggested, that the C16 replacement is a different component that will help avoid the issue in the future.

ita47 - can you post the value of the capacitor at C16 on your display?

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

ita47 - can you post the value of the capacitor at C16 on your display?

The capacitor value at C16 is 1000uF 16V

#121 4 years ago

Keep in mind that these display use RoHS compliant lead-free solder. You will need a little extra heat when desoldering components.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

The replacement works, but it has been repaired. [...] Needless to say I wasn't real impressed with Stern on this one.

The quality of the soldering looks fine; what's your issue? Did you have to pay for shipping? Does the new one look dimmer than the one you sent them?

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

20150831_191015.jpg 20150915_233627.jpg 20150915_233636.jpg 20150915_233655.jpg 20150916_071045.jpg

Factory refurbished is industry norm for warranty replacements in most industries. But they could at least clean up the flux before putting them back on the shelf...

1 year later
#126 2 years ago

This thread should go with the 'fed up with price increases'.

Boy, I hate these cheap red displays......

Anyways, mine has a fault - in test in photo. See the feint vertical line to the left of the bright test line.

What does this mean? Is it a line not lighting? My TWD is over 9 months old so doubt I get any support.

IMG_0431 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, SC
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside