Topic poll

“Have you had any issues with Sterns new LED DMD displays?”

• Yes (Line ON, Line OFF, Blank display, etc) 123 votes
    60%
  • No (Been running great!) 83 votes
    40%

(206 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0431 (resized).JPG
20150916_071045.jpg
20150915_233655.jpg
20150915_233636.jpg
20150915_233627.jpg
20150831_191015.jpg
Stern_LED_block_001_-_Copy.jpg
Stern_DMD_after_runDMD_026.jpg
Stern_DMD_after_runDMD_025.jpg
20150712_163218.jpg
image-611.jpg
image-818.jpg
dmd.jpg
BlackJack BK4000.jpg
Star Trek DMD problem 014.JPG
2013-11-21 17.43.30.jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I've heard so many people that have had issues with these new LED displays from Stern, myself included. I have a line that's always lit. I've talked to people that have had bad displays right out of the box and others that have gone through multiple displays. I'll be getting a replacement, but I've only had this game for 2 months. Something just isn't right with these if there are so many failures...

Anyone else have any issues with these?

2013-11-17 11.53.07.jpg

#2 6 years ago

A buddy of mine just got a dead dot on his low play Woverine.

#3 6 years ago

I got a dead pixel on my Wolvie too. Stern replaced due to warranty it but makes me wonder about longevity. Looks like the blocks could be replaced.

#4 6 years ago

My Trons on its 3rd so far so good.

#5 6 years ago

Bought one for a customers iron man and it had a bright vertical line appear after 2 days.

#6 6 years ago

Dad dot on my BIB torn, warranty was painless.

#7 6 years ago

The new ones don't seem as good as the one in my IM.

Would love to switch to plasma but too difficult.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The new ones don't seem as good as the one in my IM.
Would love to switch to plasma but too difficult.

I'll be switching to plasma. It's not too difficult. The transformer is capable. Just need to run 3 wires up to the backbox and install a HV board.

#9 6 years ago

My Tron has a column that is on very faintly. It comes and goes per day it seems.

#10 6 years ago

AC DC Premium had the issue within a month. Took a month, but I got the replace DMD.

#11 6 years ago

Put two in my ACDC premium... Got it in March this year...

#12 6 years ago

Have a fairly low play ACDC pro at the shop and it has solid bars in the middle and blank on the ends.
Emailed Stern [Patrick] and they obviously didn't care enough to reply to email.
Guess I'll call them tomorrow since the machine is now sold.

Doesn't look promising for the future of our games.
D

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Have a fairly low play ACDC pro at the shop and it has solid bars in the middle and blank on the ends.
Emailed Stern [Patrick] and they obviously didn't care enough to reply to email.
Guess I'll call them tomorrow since the machine is now sold.
Doesn't look promising for the future of our games.
D

Call your Distributor they should be able to order one right up for you.

#14 6 years ago

I am interested in BUYING a broken red Stern LED DMD from one of you. Want to try something with it. PM me if you have one along with a fair price and your email address for PayPal. I will buy your broken DMD.
Best,
Jim

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I am interested in BUYING a broken red Stern LED DMD from one of you.

I have to send the broken one back when the new one comes in. I've even heard, from an individual, that one of the replacement displays they received was a repaired unit!

#16 6 years ago

I had one replaced on a NIB Met Pro. Replacement is working fine. Since so many folks had issues from day 1, it's too bad they don't do more testing on such a critical part. Oh well…Stern support to the rescue.

#17 6 years ago

Nothing bad to report with my Star Trek Pro....yet.

#18 6 years ago

My Metallica DMD had this issue right out of the box.

#19 6 years ago

Every single nib stern with red led dmd that I have purchased has had 1 or more pixels dead on arrival. This shows what kind of quality control effort goes into that aspect. I tried once to go through the warranty rigamarole on replacement but that ended up being a circus of repeated emails that dead ended. I suppose if you bought from the same vendor always and built a relationship they would be more inclined get on the ball for you.

#20 6 years ago

gex: I work for a distributor! I turned the issue over to the owners.

#21 6 years ago

Both my ACDC & XMen had a dimly lit "always on" line through them vertically in different spots (normally towards the far sides of the screen). JJ / Gexchange hooked me up with a replacement super quickly and I mailed the old ones back in the same boxes.

#22 6 years ago

I bought a Met Pro from a guy a couple months ago who purchased it brand new.Two weeks ago I turned it on and there is a column of dots that are always lit.I called Stern today and they asked me to find out what distributor he got it from and go that route.With a little more discussion they said if I sent it to them they would replace it.With all these issues popping up do you think there should be a recall on these display's?
Looking at these new boards coming out I see the components are so small,it is getting beyond my capability to fix them.Pretty soon it will come to a point where you don't fix it,you throw it away and buy another.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Both my ACDC & XMen had a dimly lit "always on" line through them vertically in different spots (normally towards the far sides of the screen). JJ / Gexchange hooked me up with a replacement super quickly and I mailed the old ones back in the same boxes.

Thanks to this thread I went down to the cave and actually checked my AC/DC and Xmen LE in the diagnostic screen. My Xmen has the same dimly lit vertical lines in a couple of spots. Oh well...I did'nt notice it before so I guess it does not matter. They really are barely noticeable on mine. But if I had noticed it while the warranty was still on I certainly would have gotten a replacement.

#24 6 years ago

My AC/DC was built last month ( no idea what vintage the display is) and everything is 100% but worth keeping an eye on. In theory an LED display should have a lot longer life than a gas plasma display. With solid lines on or off it sounds like a logic problem or mechanics of the board at some point.

Maybe a burn in running the display test in loop would weed out a potential defect faster.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from brz:

I bought a Met Pro from a guy a couple months ago who purchased it brand new.Two weeks ago I turned it on and there is a column of dots that are always lit.I called Stern today and they asked me to find out what distributor he got it from and go that route.With a little more discussion they said if I sent it to them they would replace it.With all these issues popping up do you think there should be a recall on these display's?Looking at these new boards coming out I see the components are so small,it is getting beyond my capability to fix them.Pretty soon it will come to a point where you don't fix it,you throw it away and buy another.

It's sad, but that seems to be the trend with products today, instead of being able to repair them, you throw them away and buy a new one. Look at tvs, the older ones seemed to last forever, but the new stuff only seems to last a few years. It will get to a point (if it hasn't already) where you just throw the circuit boards away, and buy new ones when they go bad because they are unrepairable. It will be a sad day because you know they will put a premium on replacement boards. They already cost to much now.

#26 6 years ago

Had a vertical line pop up on Avengers after ~3 months of ownership. Got a replacement from Stern and all is well.

#27 6 years ago

yep got one line always on, it will be replaced tomorrow.

#28 6 years ago

These displays are not that hard to repair,you will find with the line that is locked on there will be one dot thats not lit or with the faintly lit ones one dot will be lock on solid replace that cube and all will be fine,working for a Dist here in Australia we just have an exchange display and repair the faulty one for the next customer,get the cubes from China.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

These displays are not that hard to repair,you will find with the line that is locked on there will be one dot thats not lit replace that cube and all will be fine,working for a Dist here in Australia we just have an exchange display and repair the faulty one for the next customer,get the cubes from China.

I wondered if you could do this to repair them. Thanks for the tip! Do you have a source for the cubes you can share?

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Call your Distributor they should be able to order one right up for you.

JJ,
I had this problem - vertical line in DMDs - and AS USUAL you took care of it immediately. Got the replacement within days of sending the info you requested.
Thanks!!
Nelson

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I wondered if you could do this to repair them. Thanks for the tip! Do you have a source for the cubes you can share?

Ummm ..how about I just give you some part numbers of different ones I have used,check the pic and you will get the idea

cubes.jpg
#32 6 years ago

both references work ?

#33 6 years ago

THANK YOU!!

#34 6 years ago

Searching for 788BS reveals these 8x8 red LED modules for a couple bucks each. Might need to pick a few up to have to replace any bad ones down the road.

This is for (10) shipped from China:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-10-pcs-1-9MM-Red-dot-matrix-module-Model-788BS/605870_879528976.html

Based on the poll (unscientific), seems like about a 50% failure rate, at this point. I could understand issues at around the 5 year mark, but most seem to be from brand new to a few months. Not good.

#35 6 years ago

Had a vertical line out on my AC/DC after only having it for three weeks (got mine this past July/August). Wrote both Stern and my distributer, got a new one in the mail about five days later.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Searching for 788BS reveals these 8x8 red LED modles for a couple bucks each. Might need to pick a few up to have to replace any bad ones down the road.
This is for (10) shipped from China:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-10-pcs-1-9MM-Red-dot-matrix-module-Model-788BS/605870_879528976.html
Based on the poll (unscientific), seems like about a 50% failure rate, at this point. I could understand issues at around the 5 year mark, but most seem to be from brand new to a few months. Not good.

Great minds think alike....

#37 6 years ago

A couple of days ago a line popped up on my METLE in the same place as the OP's. My distributor said it is a very common problem and is sending me a replacement. I will have to send the other one back.

#38 6 years ago

Got the replacement DMD from Stern. It's a repaired board. It does work though.

2013-11-21 17.43.30.jpg

#39 6 years ago

Thanks for the info on those replacement cubes. My buddy Paul was happy to hear that we will be able to fix his with minimal costs.

4 months later
#40 5 years ago

Anyone know for sure if the Stern displays use common anode or common cathode modules?

Anyone know where to get them in blue?

#41 5 years ago

.Fingers crossed

#42 5 years ago

Bump - anyone know of a source for blue LED matrix modules for Stern low voltage DMDs?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Bump - anyone know of a source for blue LED matrix modules for Stern low voltage DMDs?

I am on the hunt for them too,not common and what I have found have been very expensive,works out cheaper to get an after market display

#44 5 years ago

I started a new thread to discuss finding this part. Please look here for updates on my search.... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-stern-low-voltage-led-dmd-parts

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

I am on the hunt for them too,not common and what I have found have been very expensive,works out cheaper to get an after market display

Yea, the public pricing I found on these is VERY high. Agree that it may not be cost effective but I'm going to give it a good search.

2 months later
#46 5 years ago

My Tron just developed the vertical broken line last night... Looks like replacements are at least $300-$400. Is there any easy way to fix these or at least an online guide somewhere as to how to do this?

#47 5 years ago

Well it finally happened to my Star Trek LE #012 I was playing a few games tonight and noticed a vertical line with one dot out on the right side of the display. I got this game last November. Is the DMD still under warranty? Is it worth the trouble to get a replacement or just easer to replace the LED block. I was plaining to replace it later with a ColorDMD anyway but was keeping the original display for a backup.

Star Trek DMD problem 014.JPG
#48 5 years ago

^^^ I would say still under warranty or the distributor should fix it as these are repairable.

#49 5 years ago

ONe single dot not working on my Met pro. Its still under warranty i havent replaced it yet as Stern wants me to send the defectiveone in before sending a replacement. I cant take two weeks without playing my Metallica!

#50 5 years ago

Big line out on my Luci and JJ and Stern took care of it ASAP . Second one bad too but again they are replacing it . Hopefully the third times the charm.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside