(Topic ID: 78459)

Sterns promotional team needs to get it together. Mustang info.

By erak

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by OuttaSpace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

z1107.jpg
2006saleen-1.jpg
mustang babe 10.jpg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Since first pics and video of Mustang were posted here and other message boards before their website and facebook page, does anyone else think that whoever is in charge of promoting their product needs to rethink what's going on?

Seriously, whatever they are trying to accomplish is a joke.
Nothing against their pins but to debut a machine, some other form of advertising or info should have been released before it was posted by people attending.

Professional pics, glamor shots, info something? Not an upsidedown playfield pic on facebook then this.
Trying to make us feel like we got the inside scoop first.
Come on, really?

Not handled professional whatsoever.
They are still not communicating about their products.

I guess they just want free advertising. But because they were not officially released by Stern first it is going to lead to a lot more ridicule and scrutiny on message boards than if they had done it professionally.
Now it just leads to hear say and speculation, instead of facts.
I love my Stern pins, but now I am just pissed on how things are being handled.
Seems like they lost touch along time ago on how to deal with potential customers, if ever.

#2 10 years ago

+1

I agree. Stern has been effing up in this dept. for years and nothing has changed. It's completely baffling and there is no good excuse for it. How can they be so dense?

#3 10 years ago

Also not going to comment on how the pin looks. I think it speaks for itself. Because you are not going to get a productive word out of Stern for awhile.

#4 10 years ago

I guess I have a different take on it...

It's just a game.

If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't.

I'd guess about .0000000001% of the world's population is probably concerned about Stern's Mustang game. Frankly, I'm just happy to know Stern is still willing to stay in business and make games.

#5 10 years ago

Its just the way things are. I have adjusted and accept it.

They do crank them out! Just wish the code could keep up.

#6 10 years ago

I thought the same thing this morning when I re-posted info on the pictures of the new machine and had to put "via Pinside". I thought this was a major cock-up from a big company.....or is this what their marketing team want? "Let's let the enthusiasts trickle information out for us and then we'll hit them with the professional images and video." I think with each release they're getting slower with releasing images and professional video....or is this a side effect of the electronic age?

Up until today, I didn't think Mustang was even a completed game yet from the information we've been receiving in the past month about the new title.

Cheers!
Adam.

#7 10 years ago

*Opens thread. Sees it's another thread bitching about Stern. Yawns to self. Closes thread.*

#8 10 years ago

It would be nice if Stern would actually kick it up a notch and even try to one-up JJP. Something similar to the Apple /Android battle going on would maybe get some epic games built. Unfortunately Stern seems way more like Blackberry, and JJP is running away with the innovation & excitement.

#9 10 years ago

They are building games. Selling games. And most of what goes on ends up here on Pinside.

I'd say their marketing is working pretty good.

LTG : )

#10 10 years ago

I'd say it all boils down to one word. Culture.

#11 10 years ago

I posted something about finding out about it first on pinside to their facebook page.
Let's see how long it lasts before its removed?
Any guesses? I will keep tabs on the timeframe. Posted 11:44 pm.
Removed at??????.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

It would be nice if Stern would actually kick it up a notch and even try to one-up JJP.

Like delivering games that are paid for?

#13 10 years ago

Too bad it's not you armchair generals company to call the shots at. You complainers need to to sit down and have a nice tall glass of STFU. You want to get your panties in a bunch over promo shots go right ahead. I don't think the boys at Stern will lose any sleep over it.

#14 10 years ago

The whole Star Trek debut went as bad as you could imagine from us Pinsiders, yet it all worked out at the end. I have to imagine as many of us that are on Pinside, its still not their primary market, they have a way of doing things, and so far they've done well with it, so what more can you say about it?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Too bad it's not you armchair generals company to call the shots at. You complainers need to to sit down and have a nice tall glass of STFU. You want to get your panties in a bunch over promo shots go right ahead. I don't thinks the boys at Stern will lose any sleep over it.

That's the problem they don't seem to give a $#*+ about promoting their product properly. Instead we get second hand info from other sources rather than, in Mustangs case.. straight from the horses mouth.
Hear say on new code releases. Hear say on what games are getting updates.
Not straightforward with potential or current customers in any sence of the word.
Vague on releases of games and vague on code for games just all around crummy P.R.

If no one complains, or calls them on it. Things will never change.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They are building games. Selling games. And most of what goes on ends up here on Pinside.
I'd say their marketing is working pretty good.
LTG : )

This.

#17 10 years ago

at least with stern actions speak louder then words of epic proportion. they bang the product out without the talk, they just do it. nothing wrong with that from where I'm sitting. but obviously it's not good enough for some here.

#18 10 years ago

If you're upset about unfinished code then you've got a legit complaint. Making a mountain out of this particular molehill of the Mustang pics seems to be you just looking for something to cry wolf about IMO.

#19 10 years ago

In Mustang's case, the game is making it's debut at the car show. Gary is there pimping it. Car dealers are getting first crack at it. Seems like they have a strategy.

#20 10 years ago

They had planned to release pics by now at CES. I was specifically told this. So obviously something went off plan or schedule. It happens. They had a chance to get a machine to an important show. More important than Pinside frankly. So they grabbed the opportunity. So while I agree Stern's communication and marketing need work, I also don't think this is that big a deal. If weeks go by with no info then sure. But an early leak isn't the end of the world.

#21 10 years ago

Maybe just a coincidence, but I think it was an intentional "leak" of the game just a day after jjp's announcement of Pat Lawlor joining them. Seems to me like Stern's PR people are doing their jobs. How many new threads today are talking about Stern and the mustang pin (including this one)?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Maybe just a coincidence, but I think it was an intentional "leak" of the game just a day after jjp's announcement of Pat Lawlor joining them. Seems to me like Stern's PR people are doing their jobs. How many new threads today are talking about Stern and the mustang pin (including this one)?

Stiil not going to get a straight answer or info out of Stern. So no, they are not doing their jobs. Its about getting straightforward facts rather than speculation and this he said she said B.S. on the message boards.
Why do they have a website or facebook page?

Too much of " does it have this?" " will it do that" " I see this in that pic" "I heard it will have, or do this." "Why did they do that?" " it looks like this does that."

Even if this is a leak, which it isn't. It was just ill part on marketing. It's just their way of trying to make us feel like we got the inside scoop on something they just were not prepared for, or had an agreement with Ford.

Stern marketing : " well it was leaked to the internet on pinside, we were not prepared to release it at that time so you guys got the inside scoop."

Later Stern: " They fell for it, now we don't have to do our jobs or give them any more info for awhile. They are making this $%-+ up for us."
" maybe this will give them something else to talk about to make them forget about that code thing. Snicker...snicker."

Just my guess and speculation as we will never get the real answer, or at least a straight one out of Stern.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I posted something about finding out about it first on pinside to their facebook page.
Let's see how long it lasts before its removed?
Any guesses? I will keep tabs on the timeframe. Posted 11:44 pm.
Removed at??????.

Removed 12:30am. Almost lasted an hour.
I bet pics will be posted on facebook taken from here in a few hours or Monday morning.
Stating "first pics of Mustang from NADA"

#24 10 years ago

I'm embarrassed to have participated in this thread, carry on....

#25 10 years ago

I'm embarrassed to have participated in this thread, carry on....

Yup. File it under WGAS.

#26 10 years ago

You say they are not doing it properly?? They sell out of almost every game. Seems to be working. Not like you want but working .

#27 10 years ago

It would be nice if Stern would actually kick it up a notch and even try to one-up JJP. Something similar to the Apple /Android battle going on would maybe get some epic games built. Unfortunately Stern seems way more like Blackberry, and JJP is running away with the innovation & excitement.

Stern : Ford
JJP : ?

It would be funny if JJP made a Porsche or Ferarri pin, just for the sake of the analogy.

#28 10 years ago

Well I guess because neither of the past two posters own a Stern pin or a new Stern pin. Why would they care. But for anyone that has bought one in the last couple of years that is still waiting for an update or if their game will ever be finished. Stern needs to stop treating things like they don't even know what's going on within their own company.

I swore I would probably never buy a Stern a few years ago unless the theme and gameplay was right. Well I now have bought 2 NIB sterns within the last year. But because of how they treat releasing info and never actually give a straight answer I won' t be buying again. But also I will advise anyone I meet not to buy one either.

I put a poll on pinside and over 100 people feel the same way. So if they tell people that Sterns Communication is garbage, and they have been left in the dark, and those new people don't buy too. And they tell others. Is sterns marketing team and P.R. dept. Doing their job?

You can't make everyone happy. But in this case its a simple fix. DO YOUR JOB!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Well I guess because neither of the past two posters own a Stern pin or a new Stern pin. Why would they care.

Actually, I have STLE, and love it. I guess I need to update my profile. I haven't reviewed it yet, either. I was waiting to get a few games under my belt. I think the code is quite good so far, though I haven't made it to level 2 or 3 wizard modes.

#30 10 years ago

Maybe if you complain enough they'll stop making pinball machines. Would that make you happier?

#31 10 years ago

What first world, rich white people problems we have!!!! This pinball company is not marketing this $8000 toy to me properly! And has anyone else considered that the Roku3 might not match my marble inlay in the vestibule? No customization. Are you kidding???

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

What first world, rich white people problems we have!!!! This pinball company is not marketing this $8000 toy to me properly! And has anyone else considered that the Roku3 might not match my marble inlay in the vestibule? No customization. Are you kidding???

well said sir. after all the b.s. people here have given ben heck over amh, its a miracle anyone builds games at all.
let alone give pinsiders the time of day. if pinball goes away it will be because we, the people who profess to love it ran it off.

#33 10 years ago

Too bad it's not you armchair generals company to call the shots at. You complainers need to to sit down and have a nice tall glass of STFU. You want to get your panties in a bunch over promo shots go right ahead. I don't think the boys at Stern will lose any sleep over it.

I would have given you two thumbs up if I could.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I really just want them to succeed. Not ignoring customers questions and getting proper information out there is the way they are going to do it.

I'm not pissed that this happened, I'm pissed that whoever is in charge of this still continues to let this happen and amazed they still have their job.
I thought they just hired a new P.R. marketing guy to help them get with the times?

This post was just a comment on how they are operating. Not meant to offend anyone here. Some obvioulsy take it personally that whoever is doing this job at Stern sucks at it. And people call them on it.

Maybe in the old days before the internet this behaviour would go un noticed. But its 2014. Stern has a website, a facebook page. Use them for what they were intended to do. Not find out about things on message boards.
I posted that mustang pics were on pinside on their facebook, deleated within an hour. Obviously they don't want the link to all the negative comments posted about it here.and want to release it themselves when ready. So why didn't they promote it themselves?
Inform their customers and advertise their product on the mefia they set up designed to do it.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Maybe if you complain enough they'll stop making pinball machines. Would that make you happier?

Definately not. Just want to change how they deal with customers.
If you think its fine if they just keep pumping out machines with no customer info to support or create faith in their games you are mistaken.

I am saddened that some are content to just sit and wait. Rather than try, voice or hope for change for the better.

#36 10 years ago

I think it will do well and it is right on target with sterns marketing strategy - everyone who owns a mustang will want the pinball no marketing needed. Anyone who can afford the car won't think twice about buying it - whether it plays good or bad. Even car showrooms will want them. It's opening up a whole new market for them. Seems to me it is right on line with sterns thinking about how to sell games. They can't rely on pinside or collectors all the time. They need new people.

#37 10 years ago

I have a slight feeling that Stern got this to an important target market, Car guys, maybe their deal with Ford trumps hobbyists? I tend to think they are doing exactly what they intend to do, and pinheads are gonna play/buy it anyway, the crossover market gets more folks into pinball, which I would think Stern sees this as a positive, Idunno...maybe im nutz..

#38 10 years ago

It's not always easy to come to terms with the fact that pinball can be marketed towards people other than pinball people. I'm slowly getting through it myself.

#39 10 years ago

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment in this topic. While I DON'T think we need an announcement FOR an announcement, I DO think an official glamor shot filled press release should be the first picture(s) of a new game.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I swore I would probably never buy a Stern a few years ago unless the theme and gameplay was right. Well I now have bought 2 NIB sterns within the last year. But because of how they treat releasing info and never actually give a straight answer I won' t be buying again. But also I will advise anyone I meet not to buy one either.

Quoted from erak:

I really just want them to succeed.

Um, Bullshit. You just want to bitch.
And if Stern had a Superbowl rollout commercial, that was fu)king awesome, you'd find a different angle to bitch about that.
Straight answers would only lead to more questions, and more bitching.
Stern is very wise to leave this place alone, seems JJP is starting to think that way too, thanks hayters.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I guess I have a different take on it...
It's just a game.
If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't.
I'd guess about .0000000001% of the world's population is probably concerned about Stern's Mustang game. Frankly, I'm just happy to know Stern is still willing to stay in business and make games.

Sure it's just a game. Pinball is their business though. A bit of effort probably couldn't hurt.

#42 10 years ago

Everyone who owns a Mustang will want a $5000+ pinball machine?

A GT starts at $31,210, so if I can afford that car I will buy the pinball?

Williams '94 Corvette sold 5,001 units.

Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I think it will do well and it is right on target with sterns marketing strategy - everyone who owns a mustang will want the pinball no marketing needed. Anyone who can afford the car won't think twice about buying it - whether it plays good or bad. Even car showrooms will want them. It's opening up a whole new market for them. Seems to me it is right on line with sterns thinking about how to sell games. They can't rely on pinside or collectors all the time. They need new people.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Williams '94 Corvette sold 5,001 units.

Yeah… when arcades were still open.

#44 10 years ago

Mustang aside, I really don't understand their strategy when it comes to new pins. I get keeping things secret until the unveiling. But once a title is launched and even selling, why is everything still a big secret? Why is the only good pictures of the machine coming from people who come across them at shows or have them in their living room? And why is the best we can do for gameplay grainy YouTube videos that forum members have to put together on the fly?

I still feel like I have no clue what half their new machines do (I still have no idea what half the features on Star Trek LE are). When I come across one I've never played, I always find a bunch of cool stuff I had never seen before and wonder why the hell they weren't showing me this. And this isn't some expensive venture either. An intern with a digital camera can take 30 pictures of the game and upload them. Or record a 15 minute video and put it on YouTube. The hours they seem to spend posting nonsense on Facebook seems like it could better be used selling their machines.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it just feels weird that you have to get all your info on a table from 3rd parties. And I don't mean they should come around here and chat with everyone, just post more pics and videos of your tables.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

But because they were not officially released by Stern first it is going to lead to a lot more ridicule and scrutiny on message boards than if they had done it professionally.

Even if Stern sent each and every Pinsider a press packet, with a full DVD video and t-shirt, the Negative Nancys would still be crying like bitches.

Pinball is supposed to be fun.

If you like a game enough to buy it - buy it.

If you don't like a game, go play something you like and take a Pamprin.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you like a game enough to buy it - buy it.

If you don't like a game, go play something you like and take a Pamprin.

#47 10 years ago

Unfortunately Stern seems way more like Blackberry, and JJP is running away with the innovation & excitement.

Yes, I've noticed all my friends and clients are overwhelmed with excitement after 3 years and still no game.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I'm pissed that whoever is in charge of this still continues to let this happen and amazed they still have their job.

Why are you pissed at all ???

Nothing happened to you.

You did not miss out on ordering one.

In what way were you harmed because the Ford dealers got to look at a new Ford pinball machine before you did?

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Since first pics and video of Mustang were posted here and other message boards before their website and facebook page, does anyone else think that whoever is in charge of promoting their product needs to rethink what's going on?

Seriously, whatever they are trying to accomplish is a joke.
Nothing against their pins but to debut a machine, some other form of advertising or info should have been released before it was posted by people attending.

Wahhh waaahh waaah!!!!

Mustang isn't launched and for sale yet. It's a prototype being shown at a Ford convention! It's not finished or ready for the general public - we got lucky and got some insider info...but that doesn't constitute poor marketing.

What I really don't understand is this know-it-all entitled attitude toward Stern's marketing...and this "instant gratification" mentality. If there isn't an official video or press release the moment the game exists, IT'S ALLLL OOOVER!!! This reminds me of the bitching years ago about games that didn't launch with the movie's theatrical release, when that day-and-date thing has ZERO bearing on a game's popularity or sales. Case in point: Iron Man. A great property is a great property...box office weekendis irrelevant to pinball sales if the license is evergreen. When the Star Trek vid came out the other day, people were like "pffft....too late". Guys, any given title can be in production for years. It's perfectly OK for promotional materials to come out after "we, the hardcore" are aware of the game's existence.

Clearly their marketing efforts are working... they're selling games and thriving.

#50 10 years ago

No ones panties are in a bunch. Chill out. The OP brings up a valid point. They do pay a man at Stern to be the head of marketing. The OP thinks the head of marketing does a sub par job. This is a pinball forum. What would you like us to talk about?

Stern may not lose any sleep, but they could loose some sales. If I was in charge of marketing, I would consider crap photos leaked to the hard core audience a big mistake.

The OPs main point is, that it is pathetic that Sterns marketing is handled this way.

If I might add, its kind of out of order to tell someone to STFU for a simple opinion about Sterns marketing, unless you work for Stern.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-promotional-team-needs-to-get-it-together-mustang-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.