(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 3,958 posts
  • 611 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by TreyBo69
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 418 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg
20190628_171836 (resized).jpg
B89A3C8F-8FA6-45C7-B526-A2A1A7AB1AE9 (resized).jpeg
WW (resized).jpg
dune_movie_poster_cast_artwork (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Blacksun (3 months ago)

Post #139 Info about legal entities - licensing Posted by PPS (3 months ago)

Post #425 Link to pictures and interview of SR Posted by ASOA (3 months ago)

Post #449 Pictures of the game Posted by NeilMcRae (3 months ago)

Post #482 High resolution cabinet pictures Posted by BoJo (3 months ago)

Post #505 Rule card Posted by PinB (3 months ago)

Post #517 Gameplay videos Posted by PinB (3 months ago)

Post #521 Link to interviews Posted by PinB (3 months ago)

Post #647 Feature matrix Posted by ovfdfireman (3 months ago)

Post #3606 Explains how the upper PK is mounted Posted by swilson143 (48 days ago)

Post #3758 A message from God Posted by newtoit (30 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#156 3 months ago

I hope the Choir Angels make a return!

You got the power! You got the might! Get ready for battle! Beat the black knight!
Ahhhhhhhh! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! Ahhh! Ahhhh!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!

#188 3 months ago

BK2K is a great game.

You blasphemous muthufuckuhs be crazy.

#241 3 months ago
Quoted from Time:

You know someone will put in the sound recordings from Bk2K the second the game is released if Stern doesn't do it themselves. Looking at you @cleland

Yeah, but we don't want MIDI and poor sampled voices in a 2019 game...I'd love to hear the BK2K music played with real guitars & hear crystal clear singers!

#562 3 months ago

Wow wow wow!!! That video had exactly what I wanted: BK2K iconic music covered by a real metal guitarist. Sounds GREAT! Steve Ritchie FINALLY makes a super sweet toy - the Knight looks awesome!!! Can’t wait to play it. This looks like a “whole package” winner!

#695 3 months ago
Quoted from rai:

Not sure how the manga save will work if you have time to hit the center button in the heat of the moment.

Have you played BK2K? Same exact thing. You see the ball flying toward the outlane, you hit the magnet button, and it "sucks" the ball back up from a drain, centers it, and drops it to the inlane.

#696 3 months ago

Only installed from the factory on the LE. You can add a shaker to any model.

#698 3 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I think he's more concerned with the location of the button, not how it works.

Ah, good point. The magnet button next to the flipper button would def be quicker to hit....but Steve prob figured most location players wouldn't know it was there.

#711 3 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Theme whores need to remember that the top games of all time are unlicensed.

Also those games are of a different era, where arcades were plentiful & home game sales weren't a thing. Theme gets people to run up to a game on location or buy it for their home if it presses their nostalgia buttons.

Quoted from jwilson:

Like others have said, this is totally an approachable theme that people understand instantly. It's aggressive and in-your-face. I hope they throw a few laughs in there too like the old days - some of the quotes on BK2K make me laugh out loud, that would really take it to the next level.

Right, this is where BK has a leg up against something like DI, Oktoberfest, or some rando original theme in the 2019 landscape.

-For some people (pinball people), it *IS* a theme...it's a threequel of a popular pinball franchise.
-For location players, they can walk up and EASILY understand it. "Me vs. that knight". GO. People walk up to DI or Oktoberfest and go WTF? Pass.

#755 3 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Not sure why you chose DI in your example, it literally tells you what to shoot for. It can't get any more idiot proof.

I meant in terms of content/story. Ben Heck said it already...you walk up to DI and you're like "huh?" What do cell phones, natural disasters, drones and Momjeans guy have to do with anything?" It's visually confusing. As for gameplay, at many locations you can't hear anything.

You walk up to Black Knight and see a menacing knight twirling his weapon at you and taunting you. INSTANT CONNECTION to what it's all about.

#779 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sorry but the attacks against Dialed In are unwarranted

Not attacking it. I like DI. But its first impression based on theme is convoluted and confusing. You have to warm up to it vs loving it from first glance. This affects sales & quarter drop. BK has an instant “I get it” factor....just like MM, AFM, and other original themed games that did well and became classics.

#780 3 months ago
Quoted from Ifpaadam:

The sounds and music on this may rival all current games...iron maiden included. The sounds, music, call outs and atmosphere of a game is what sets the stage and creates an enjoyable experience.

What’s really cool too is that it’s not just cuts from an album. It’s brand new amazing music by real metal stars. IMO that is a HUGE feature and value that puts it above the other band themes.

#807 3 months ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Why the f$?& are people even mentioning DI?

Cuz JJP took a chance with an original IP, and now Stern is (sorta).

#882 3 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I keep seeing comments about how a Black Knight game without an upper playfield doesn't seem right.
Unlike the first two games, the upper playfield isn't the main mech/feature in Sword of Rage; it's the Black Knight toy itself. So the upper playfield is secondary.

...and if you think about the first two games, since the upper playfield is wood, the space beneath it doesn't benefit the player at all. They were cool, but it was still kinda like playing a single playfield game with layers. So, it's not like the Pro has half a playfield...it's still a full playfield game. The clear upper playfield actually is something new and exciting for a BK game - cuz you get a whole lower functional PF AND an upper to play on.

I think the Pro will be really cool...for me, the Knight is the main toy/feature and that's still there - and all the awesome music will still be there to pump you up as you play.

I really want to play both...I'm not going to judge one over the other until I can experience them both and make up my own mind.

#1066 3 months ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

The spinning mech in the Knight's hand appears to be 2 connected spinning balls that will be smacking the game balls with force quite regularly. I suspect that owners of this game will need to check their pinballs for damage more frequently than other games as a result. Heck they will need to check the balls on the mech too to make sure they are not chipped which would cause faster wear on the game balls. I am still almost certainly going to be buying a Premium but it is something to keep in mind.

Pinballs hit everything at high speed all day long & don’t get damaged....especially another metal ball. Think of all the games with captive balls...or balls hitting balls in Multiball. This worry you have is not a thing.

#1124 3 months ago

Hey for fellow fans of BK2K music, check this out. I've had Crue Ball for Sega Genesis forever and never realized the music was by Brian Schmidt! It sounds like another BK soundtrack with a few Motley Crue songs peppered in. The System 11b sound synthesizer must have been very similar to the one in the Sega Genesis!

#1485 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

How about depth perception.
Anyone notice that the shield is where his elbow should be?
Maybe his lower arm was cut off with that sword and the shield was attached to his stump?
Another thing I just can't un-see
[quoted image]

Kevin O'Connor isn't good with limbs in perspective. See Kiss. He also has trouble with nice silhouettes and avoiding tangents. This game would have looked better with Yeti or Donnie doing the art...but it seems like Steve doesn't like working w/ the "new" artists.

1 week later
#2569 3 months ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

There is the throwback mode in which you need to earn, but it is the original Black Knight not BK2000. I would love for them to put in the power song from BK2000...”You got the power, you got the might...”
Having said that, the throwback mode is really cool and you could hear the spinners and other shots reflecting the original game...

The lyrics are in the game, I heard them multiple times in the stream. It's a demon-voice type of guy singing "You've got the power" (Probably Brendan Small) instead of the Choir Angels.

#2572 3 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The BK2K theme definitely plays during the Classic mode but it is a cover version. It's just drowned out a little from the Original Black Knight sounds. you can hear it in the background but it isn't very prominent.

At 21:40 You can clearly hear the lyrics right at the start of a game:
(Link is cued up, just hit play)

#2787 3 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Is the Pro really as good or better than the LE/Premium or are people just trying to make themselves feel better because they didn’t want to spend the money on the big boy version?

I love BK2K and I'm more pro-upper-playfield than most around here, it seems...but I could see liking the Pro just fine. One of the things I like about BK2K's upper playfield is that it has lanes, pops, and lots of stuff to bounce around on in addition to the loop & lock. Since the upper pf on BK3 is just a big plastic piece, it misses out on having all that stuff on it...and all the stuff you see underneath is on the Pro. The things that intrigue me the most about BK3 is the knight himself and the awesome music...both on the Pro. Seems like a winner, IMO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Templeton, CA
$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside