(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Blacksun (5 years ago)

Post #139 Info about legal entities - licensing Posted by PPS (5 years ago)

Post #425 Link to pictures and interview of SR Posted by ASOA (5 years ago)

Post #449 Pictures of the game Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #482 High resolution cabinet pictures Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #505 Rule card Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #517 Gameplay videos Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #521 Link to interviews Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #647 Feature matrix Posted by ovfdfireman (5 years ago)

Post #3606 Explains how the upper PK is mounted Posted by swilson143 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guymontag451.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3080 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Think back to 1981 -- and how you generally want to avoid the middle area of Silverball Mania -- only, add one more post, and add two flat targets, and remove the two safe shots on the outside -- that's BK3. There are no safe shots. I've never seen a game take that stubborn of a design approach, and frankly, I don't think it's good for pinball.

I can imagine some expert players enjoying this -- but some novices will play 1 ball and walk away. I reluctantly finished out my 3 balls. I played another 4-5 hours of pinball on games like dp and iron maiden with far more interesting layouts, and returned to try again, only to have the same frustrating experience.

Man, respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. We have it on location and people FLOOD money into it. It's the total package that draws the new player, probably owing a lot to the big interactive toy in the center. Art/Sound/Lightshow/animations. Definitely our best earning new game of the last 3-4 years. And my favorite to play as well. I don't think that the game is nearly as brutal as Star Wars was, it only punishes bad shots. You put some more games on it and it will teach you to play better. I think that it's really a return to form for the king.

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I had a Pro reserved for order early. When I heard the music on the stream I canceled. I too played it at MGC and the play was decent, but you sure wouldn't know how it would sound in your home. The repetition in such short repeating clips I think would get on my nerves.

That's a bummer. I can see how if you don't like metal, then you won't like this pin. But each mode has its own unique music that goes with it. I am a metalhead, so I greatly appreciate the music package and don't find it repetitive at all. Repetitive in the sense that it is all heavy, chugging, and fast metal I suppose and someone who isn't a fan of the genre would find that because of that, it all sounds the same to their ears.

But for me, I love starting each monster fight and getting a new theme song to play throughout the mode, (my favorite being the Lich Lords--SO BADASS). The music in this game is far better than the limited (but good music) in BK2K. THAT was way more repetitive IMO.

#3104 5 years ago

Code will be fleshed out a bit, although I hope that the structure of it doesn't change too much. I love that there isn't a bunch of meaningless multiballs in the game as is, makes the multiball it does have valuable and worth getting. Not to mention it gives you another multiball when you finish "knight". I also love how clearly communicated the rules of the game are through the inserts and lcd screen. Less cluttered bullshit and unnecessarily obtuse objectives and scoring exploits. You know what you have to do with every shot, but good luck completing it. Easily my favorite game that Stern has made since Iron Man. So much fun to shoot. Always ready to go at it again.

#3138 5 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I’m hoping this is another Iron Man type of game. Not particularly deep, but fast and furious for those quick games and wanting to hit the start button over and over

It is exactly that. Over and over, fast and furious fun. Just with better art, sound and animations. It's most similar to Iron Man. We have them both in our bar.

#3139 5 years ago

Haven't had any problems with our shield, got near 1000 plays on it so far.

#3162 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah...the flipside of that is also true. Some games just play better steeper.

I feel that every game plays better steeper. But I'm old school, where if you played in a tournament, all games were set up steep/fast/hard. I can't stomach flat pitched games anymore, too slow and floaty.

#3163 5 years ago

The magna save is far from "unuseable" as it is. Don't be afraid of change, it's a slightly different dynamic having on the lockdown bar, but you get used it. I would even say that I prefer it. Think of it as a challenge, rather than a fault. I successfully use it all the time.

#3189 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The magnasave is on the lockdown bar so new players see it. It's that simple. Same reason Stern is adding videos showing you how to credit up and start a game, people are ignorant when it comes to pinball. Haven't you ever hung out at a spot with games on location and had to help some hapless soul figure out how to start their game after crediting up? It's all obvious to us, but new players find pinball super confusing, and it's hard to blame them.
A button on the side would go right over their heads, and Stern decided catering to location players made the most sense.
I haven't tried it, not saying I agree with it, but that's definitely why it's there. They just shipped a game with extra side flipper buttons (Munsters) it has nothing to do with cost or using lockdown bars with holes in them already. It's a hole drilled in a cabinet and a standard lockdown bar. Stern can do it.
Do you really think if Steve Ritchie wanted his button on the side of the cab he couldn't get it? It was a conscious call.

Perfectly said. Like I had said myself in a previous post. The button is FAR from unuseable, I even prefer having on the lockdown bar for the reason quoted above. You WILL get used to it, really isn't as big of a deal as you think it is once you really put some games on it. The magna save itself isn't situated to save the ball once it is fully in the outlane anyways, it only really grabs the ball as it bounces over the tops of the posts. You use it more as a precaution than to truly save a lost ball. This will not change at all with the button on the side of the cabinet.

Owning a location, I can attest to players struggling to start a game, even with a blinking start button sometimes.

#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I don't even like the fact that they put two set of flipper buttons on Munsters Premium. I didn't even realize at first I had to use the other flipper buttons once the lower playfield started. Can't they just figure that out in code, like Family Guy, when it goes to the mini playfield?

Except that you need both to play munster madness with a multiball on both upper and lower playfields at the same time.

#3268 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well this thing is a killer. By far the fastest game I've ever played. Yet once you get use to the speed it becomes very playable. Magna save regardless of where it is at least with the pitch I have mine at would be hard to hit, its lightning quick. This is not a game for someone who is in to more of the floaty stop go thing or of a light hearted nature but if ur into Metal and Speed and cool dark video games (God of War/Darksiders) its as if they tailor made it for that person. Just amazing, I've never felt this level of challenge and speed, adrenalin rush for sure, very happy with the pro. Great mulitplayer pin, music is incredible. I'm blown away. Did some lighting tweaks that make it look even better, will post shortly.

I agree completely. Stern nailed it.

#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I think I am the only one who does not mind the Magna save on the lock down bar.
I bumpnudge slap/tap most of the time anyway.
I find it rewarding to smack the Magna button with my left hand while stressing out on the right side!!

Not the only one, I am on record as preferring it on the lockdown bar.

#3284 4 years ago
Quoted from soapblox:

I found the times I was able to actually magna-save the ball, the lock down button wasn't an issue. Usually if it was back and forth sort of floating around the outlane.
If I brick a shot and it goes screaming down the right, a button on the side of the cabinet wouldn't have mattered.... it just drains too fast for any sort of reaction.

My point exactly. The people preemptively thinking about modding a button on the cab would be wise to play it first to understand this fact.

#3289 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I wouldn't recommend modding a cab without playing the game first. But I think most people discussing adding a side button have already played BKSR a fair bit (I know I have). And a few of us have probably even played the original BK, which gives some sense of how side button Magnasave plays.

Knock yourselves out, ain't no skin off my back. I believe that anyone can do anything that they want to with a game that they have purchased. I was merely responding to the misconceived notion that it will improve performance. Know that the side button won't make you better at using it successfully, and therefore seems like a waste of energy to me personally. But again, enjoy your games however you'd like.

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

My friend battled the Black Knight the one game so the software still has a way to go to make the game deeper for home use

What? Are you sure? Or do you mean that you got to "K-N-I-G-H-T" classic mode multiball? Not the same thing. I would be very surprised to learn that your friend is a low-key pinball god! We have had that game on location for a few weeks now, with many top 200 players in town playing it every day who still haven't got to the final Black Castle wizard mode. Only one confirmed wizard mode in over 2100 plays so far.

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

2100 plays! Your location rules. I wish we pulled that kind of traffic.

Portland is a pinball mecca. Although, it also has a lot to do with this game particularly. Earns WAY more than the last few Sterns, including Iron Maiden Premium.

#3332 4 years ago
Quoted from Freedom:

I think Tim is going to turn this into a gem with time.

It's already a gem in my opinion. I can't wait to see a little more polish, but the game just kicks so much ass!

Quoted from beergut666:

This one definitely has that "one more game" appeal

Definitely, it's a throwback in more than just theme. Back to when pinball was at its best in my opinion. Shots feel great, can hit any shot from either flipper, great sound, art, animations, and a simple and transparent rule set that is easy to understand, and HARD AF to beat. Bravo Stern, I LOVE IT

#3336 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Played the pro. It's so flat. C'mon Stern...Make some use of all that space in the back. At least have a ramp that goes more than an inch off the playfield.

To each their own. I really like that ramp, feels good to hit from either flipper. Not difficult to hit but is very smooth and satisfying to do so. In fact all shots are easily hit from either flipper.

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Man who ever leveled that game was being real nice, mine is way faster than that. R those back legs on the bottom of the leveler?

Yeah, it makes you wonder because our Grand champ is at 325 mil (the one confirmed wizard mode) and the 1st place score is 165 mil (pretty huge difference) with the rest of the scores in the 140 mil range. Ours must be set up much harder than that one. And ours HAS the extra ball. But kudos to y'all, those are BIG time scores.

#3352 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nah, its slower. Keep in mind I usually raise the back levelers more than most people.

That's how we set our games too. All the way up in the back, slammed to the ground in the front. How pinball should be set up in my opinion. DEATH TO FLAT GAMES!

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

You should have played the Victory at Pinfest. You could go grab a hot dog and come back before the ball came back to the flippers.

Would've lost my damn mind! I struggled to enjoy 90% of the games at TPF because they were so flat. My business partner and I walked away from so many games after ball one, because of that problem. So damn floaty, and so damn LAME. *SHUDDER*

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Anyone having issues with the ball flying off the wireform ramp near the right flipper? I find that a well hit shot will be fast enough for it to hit that bend (circled in the picture) and go flying over the flippers. Changing the pitch did not help

Haven't encountered this on our machine.

Quoted from pingod:

Anyone else getting the ball stuck behind the shield by the gate.

Definitely. Still unsure how to fix this issue. Haven't found a clear way to adjust the gate so that this doesn't happen occasionally. I noticed that in the latest code update, there was a line in the readme file that stated that their was a "fix" in the code to prevent weak shots to the shield from getting stuck. Although it still happens.

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

Did you upgrade to 0.93? They listed this in the patch notes and if fixed it for me.

I upgraded it to 0.93 and it still does it occasionally.

#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting as lots of people raise their games thinking they are making them harder, but maybe they are making them easier as side to side action ( side drains ) is reduced

I ain't gonna argue with the king, but we always set the games up steeper. Because even though there is a little more side to side action at a lower pitch, it's negated in my eyes by being much easier to save the ball from that added sideways action when you have the extra reaction time. Trade-off is a LITTLE bit more side to side action vs a game being ALOT faster. Flatter is never harder, just different ball movement. 6.5 is too flat to be any fun in my opinion, the added ball movement described feels like float. Added pitch makes a bricked shot rocket back at you, thus making it harder to keep alive.

#3417 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

To respond to Steve's comments on pf angle, I crank the angle on most of my games as I enjoy maximum speed. I also adjust my slings to maximum sensitivity, so I'd say they even out the difficulty when angle is considered. I also use classic rubber, so trapping is still a challenge. Myself, I find my setups more difficult to play, the opposite to cheating.

It's not cheating. A game is always harder set up steeper. Anyone who disagrees can do a quick experiment, and see for themselves.

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Not exactly true. Each game will play different and some are harder steeper, others certainly are not. Steeper gives you much less side motion and makes trapping and live catching substantially easier. These are 2 of the most important things to be able do on most modern games. Steeper setups on certain games can reduce the amount of side drains by a decent amount. Each title will be a little different so your blanket statement is not really true.

Luckily for us, the modern Stern games have incredible accounting audits, including for outlane drains, ball times, etc. I will be posting the results of a real life experiment soon at my arcade where I will set the pitch to 6.5 degrees at my bar, and we will look at the changes in the data after a few weeks of play. I will start a thread about it soon.

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:Every game is different and each player is different. Depending on the players skillset they will perform better on one verses the other.

I think that’s the beauty of using a machine on location as a test. We have players of all skill sets that will play the game. Should give us a nice data aggregate of different types of players. From total newbies to casual players to serious tournament players.

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

he Pro is anything but "dull" fastest pin alive sir.

Agreed as well, I will trade the "barrenness" of the pro for the fast and furious gameplay.

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Put enough games in now to comment on game play. In short, this pin is basically the new Iron Man. If you enjoy a bad ass pin that fights back, hurls insults, has short ball times, rewards better players and has that "just one more game" factor than you will love this.

Exactly what I said when we got ours. Iron Man is my favorite stern of all time. But now Black Knight is closing the gap. Love this game so much because it reminds me so much of Iron Man. But with better art and animations. Steve’s voice works cracks me up every time! Sweet game!

#3536 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

It's when you collect and spell KNIGHT you will light a multi ball on the far left spinner which is called retro mode.

Correct. And you collect KNIGHT letters by doing well in each battle mode.

#3539 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Yes you also get them from finishing WAR hurry ups as well. I'm not sure though on this one can you also get them from collecting a super jackpot in triple knights challenge.

You are correct. Also can get one from the super jackpot like you suggested.

#3540 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How/when/why do you start the power sword?

All made shots on the game increase the power to your sword. Once it is fully charged, the center target in front of the knight will have the power insert lit. Hit it during a battle mode will help make the mode significantly easier to complete. Like in Sandworm, the shots won't be moving. In Magmabeast, a hit shot will stay lit instead of going out, allowing you to keep hitting the ramp or other shot you feel the most comfortable with. In Hell Hand, more shots are lit, not just the single one, and etc for all of the modes.

#3551 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Seems pretty complete to me, Whats missing exactly? As of now might be my favortie Stern. The Pro is the way to go if you dislike upper PF's so I disagree the Pre is better. Love this game.

Agree completely. I love this game too. I can stop playing it. Definitely knocking on the door as my favorite stern as well.

#3556 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Agreed. Have you put your rating in yet for the Prem/LE?

Haven’t played one yet. Plan on it this weekend at the NW pinball show. I’m not usually into upper playfields, but I am excited to get some reps on the prem/LE just to make sure.

I don’t usually rate a pin until I have at least 20 games on it, so this weekend probably still won’t meet that threshold for me, but hopefully it’ll be enough to know whether or not we buy one to put into the bar or on route. I cannot imagine liking the prem/LE anymore than the Pro because I already LOVE the pro, but we’ll see!

#3594 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Finally got a chance to put in around 50 games on a Pro this weekend and I like it a lot more. Have already put in 100+ games on an LE and the upper playfield is starting to annoy me It ruins the flow of the modes and is kind of clunky in general.
Very torn now on which one to buy because it feels sacreligious to own a BK without an upper playfield.

Don't feel bad, the pro model is great fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
$ 8.00
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guymontag451.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=guymontag451 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.