(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Blacksun (5 years ago)

Post #139 Info about legal entities - licensing Posted by PPS (5 years ago)

Post #425 Link to pictures and interview of SR Posted by ASOA (5 years ago)

Post #449 Pictures of the game Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #482 High resolution cabinet pictures Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #505 Rule card Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #517 Gameplay videos Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #521 Link to interviews Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #647 Feature matrix Posted by ovfdfireman (5 years ago)

Post #3606 Explains how the upper PK is mounted Posted by swilson143 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ds_nadine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Why am I not excited? Anyone else feeling meh?

No, it's only you.

#701 5 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Rule card:
[quoted image]

OMG it actually has an "Objective" (basically "Kill the Black Knight in defense")!!!

This is the one sole thing most games were missing for me.
I hope it's halfway decently integrated (sadly no physical castle in the game altough you have to destroy it) then this would be absolute killer!

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

I just realized that there’s no u-turn on this!

There is, but it feeds into a VUK.

#724 5 years ago

I am very, very happy for Kevin O'Connor for getting the opportunity to show his skillz again, after such a long time of money-saving & photoshopping he had to to!!!

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

has the pricing been released yet?

In the 3 seconds you typed this you could have typed in sterns web adress and look them up.

#783 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sorry but the attacks against Dialed In are unwarranted. People walk up to Dialed In and play it because it's a loaded game with a ton of unique features, a great layout and most of all looks like fun. That's what happens when a playfield looks like this and there's HQ animations on screen.
There is NO CONNECTION with BK3 as of yet, the public hasn't even played it yet. If its loud on location no one will be able to hear it either. Time will tell how it does and I hope it does great and will have that connection you are talking about.
[quoted image]

There was NO ATTACKING.

Dialed In is a great game, nobody said the opposite.

It is just harder to get what it is about.

Black Knight Objective: Defeat the Black Knight

That's as easy as it can get.

#907 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

They did pay something.. How Much? We will never know. Game is liscened by Williams.

The license is not Held by Williams anymore but Planetary Pinball isn't it?

Whomever it is, they said they'd be so happy if Steve Makes a third Black Knight game, they'd let him use it free of charge.

DOESN'T MEAN THEY ACTUALLY DID IT, but Steve Ritchie said so himself in a Seminar couple of years ago.

#911 5 years ago

This game is so beautiful I want to cry...

#930 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

"If people don't like what Stern or McDonald's are doing they would be out of business." <--- unless they are the only ones in it which means that people dont have a choice....

Srsly, you have "no choice" but to eat junkfood?

That argument is lacking really hard on so many levels...

#941 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't know the legalese and don't really care to but the trailer lists Williams Electronic Games and PPS so my guess is both are involved in it. Probably WEG through PPS, but again it doesn't really matter since it's clear they got it done. I wonder if they licensed it because of the music they wanted to use from BK2K, even if re-done it would still be owned by WEG/PPS I would guess. Like I said though, they got it done and that's all that really matters.

They have licensed it (maybe for free, like it was said), including the music.

BK2000 music was composed by Steve Ritchie himself, so there propably wasn't any issues here.

#946 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now that's a fuckin' teaser baby!!!!
Extra kudos for waitin till today just to piss off everybody who had a TPF ticket.

I thought about this and I think, while not be the thing we want them to do, it is the respectful thing to do for all vendors that bring lots of existing machines for play and sale. Like the shitload of Munsters Premiums Marco brought.

Since Stern relies heavily on them promoting their machines for them it's not the best thing to lock away mones/ sales by presenting a new machine right at the beginning of a show.

So while Stern still is revealing games at tech- or amusement shows (where there is no pinball retailer), they'd propably never ever again reveal a major game at a pinball show.

#947 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

P.S. I said I didn't care about the legalese (and I don't) but still weighed back into this - D'OH!

It's ok. We're just hanging in this thread trembling in excitement.

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Best game ever ??? definitely not best game built ! JJP has that department taken along with CGC
Make no mistake

Reading is not your strong thing, is it? XD

I highly doubt JJP built Sterns best game.

#970 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Thank you so much ! I’m really new to pinball

No sweat. Next I'll teach you how to quote correctly and the meaning of emotes.

#1156 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Leave the religious shit of pinside please

If you don't entitle peoples believe as "shit" (you can write "stuff") that would be a possibility, otherwise you provoke even more reaction.

#1169 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I was not offended by you or your post, and nowhere did I say I was? You are the one who was offended. Your post confuses me very much. You tried to use your "I'm offended" to silence others based upon your religion.

20190327 (resized).jpg20190327 (resized).jpg
#1197 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Feathergate incoming! Get yer torches boys!

To be honest that feather pierced my eye as well.

Either it will break off or collect dust.

#1210 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Deadflip deadflip deadflip deadflip......!!
Lets stream this mug already....

Honestly, I can take the wait this time because I couldn't get any more excited.

But, when you show it dear Mr. Danger ( DeadFlip ) please tilt the camera a bit so we can see the fiery backpanel (castle burning) and a bit of the front of the black knight.

#1258 5 years ago

Anybody can recognize if the orbit has two controlled gates?

In the promo video you can only see the orbit shot from left to the right multiple times.
Left gate does stop the ball for the pops in one shot of the video.

Hoping that the left gate is controlled or we would miss another bit of flow/ the right orbit shot.

#1266 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

2 controlled gates in pop bumper area

You're 100% sure?

Would be great!

#1296 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Check out mark 27 seconds in for look at speed and flow of orbit...

Left orbit...

Still cautious because we don't see the right one.

#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from PinheadEDM:

I’ve got an Le coming. So glad it came right before I was seriously thinking of pulling trigger on Oktoberfest.

Just get both!

You want it...

46341577 (resized).jpg46341577 (resized).jpg
#1349 5 years ago

What would make the game even better would be if we had to rescue a princess from the castle...

...a really lewd one of course, in all it's classic 'Heavy Metal' glory.

More Pinball Ladies on the Translite!!!

#1396 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

They called it SoR so internally calling it SR unlicensed pin made more sense.

They allready explained this.

The player has the sword and needs to charge it or something like this.

I hope (not) that the flippers do sword sounds.

#1399 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Its on the LCD screen, apparently you charge it to whatever point you like during the game and hold it until you need the power, then use it as required.
Like Zap Jackpots.lol

tumblr_m336glqenc1r04pibo1_500 (resized).jpgtumblr_m336glqenc1r04pibo1_500 (resized).jpg
#1400 5 years ago

Posting that above...

For the Vault Edition this may as well be a Masters of the Universe Pin with Skeletor in the middle.

#1426 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

And theres not 48 mods released yet ???
Slackers.

They need to make a LED mod for the Pro Steel ramp, so that the lightning bolts shine & move as with the LE/ Premium!!!

I'd make something myself but I'd be afraid to damage the Spike Boards.

#1438 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man only thing left now is room! Where to put it! I asked this question before but never got a straight answer, is it better to line up pins side by side straight to save room or at an angle..or does it not matter?

Just put it in the room that's left! *duh*

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Agree, I'll prepay now to help fund it....

I'll PM you JPops bank account...

Edit:

Just to be secure!!!

#1445 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

CBG-like nitpick: Look at the sword the BK is holding on the backglass. I feel like it doesn't 100% line up with his left hand. Could benefit from the sword being rotated just a few degrees.

Now I can never unsee this...

The swords Needs to stay in the picture so you'd have to rotate his hand (fingers) a bit.

#1461 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I love the look of the game but anyone who is an artist or is in the field can tell you his stuff is just not that good. Kiss was worse. I get that it's stylized but there are many things in the art that is just wrong.

Yes and no.

I'm in the art department and I see a lot of little shortcomings (it's in wide areas not as meticulously crafted as with Franchi or Zombie Yeti)...
BUT Kevin O'Connor does a better job in terms of overall composition on the playfield.

And while that means he's not cluttering images all over the playfield (wich may look bare to you nowadays), that means he can go for a cohesive style and Color Palette and he's not repeating the same assets over and over again in one game.
Like for example in Beatles Gold the floating Heads on the side of the backbox, the artblades and the playfield (5 times alltogether).

At the Moment I'd tend to a Kevin O'Connor Playfield with ZY or Franchi Art on the Cab.

Edit:
That said I love everyones work, but as I said waaay earlier in this thread I'm happy for Kevin O'Conner that he get's moved out of the "photoshop clipart" corner he had to do for so long. He's a classic designer and very adaptive if you think that he makes kinda classical paintings and airbrush as well as Comic book art (TMNT Playfield).

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Just got my first spike game, and was so disappointed in the diagnostic menu ran the dots test just for fun and its the same software from the 90's it runs a dot test but only on a part of the screen.

Yeah, that's really laughable. - I suppose the diagnostics menu is taken over from the old days and runs in emulation?
(Wich actually would be nice if the emulation could run whole old games.)

#1505 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yeah I know when I walk up to a pinball machine, the first thing I do is stare at the art for at least 20 minutes making sure everything is perfect and anatomically correct before I put my money into the machine.

If I put it in my room I do.

That's why Ghostbusters stayed 3 months without playing before finally managed to persuade myself to sell it.

#1513 5 years ago

One thing popping out to me in the Teaser & Trailers:

Why is "Sword of Rage" in the credits (or whatever you name it) listed as a registered Trademark of Williams?!

Does any new 'stacked' license automatically belong to the original license holder, dis it exist before but never got made or is this just a mistake?

#1528 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

BUYER BEWARE
If you're thinking about ordering black knight, remember that Stern playfields have a tendency to warp after about 6 months.

Only Star Trek and that's a feature!

#1534 5 years ago

I'd like to talk about the (little) shots but I'm afraid you might hang me.

#1553 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Calling any friend of Jack Danger:
Would you please ask him when he's streaming BK3?
And would you then post his reply here?
That would be much appreciated. I just tried to ask him myself during his stream but I was ignored.
Thanks!

How many seconds did you try?

He said multiple times very, very soon and he might spill the beans later after a few drinks.

No exact date yet.

#1590 5 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

He must have really impressed Gomez, Richie and others on IMDN to get the lead at such a young age.

These youngsters are just naturals at leadspeak.

:p

#1659 4 years ago

Burning balls of steel...

#1680 4 years ago
Quoted from November:

Just to compare prices between USA and mainly Europe, what will be the final price included all taxes and fee for a premium Version in USA ?

Just substract local sales tax off of your purchase, then you know what the shipping and your dealer costed you.

#1691 4 years ago

I love most of Steve Ritchies games because you have to "FIGHT THE MACHINE".
Or like the Promotion for F-14 said, when introducing the backkicker: "It fight's back!"

On Star Trek you DON'T have the Enterprise on the Playfield (Pro) but the Vengeance.
And at the first glance everyone knows that you have to shoot it and it's wild fun, shaking, locking balls, backkicking...

On GoT you fight the Dragon and smash the door,...
the Iron Throne was an afterthought on the Pro due to popular demand (aka. shitstorm).

And while it would be obvious for other Designers to have the Enterprise on the playfield, in my opinion it makes way more sense like SR does it.
John Borg does the opposite. In GotG you shoot Groot & Aggro Raccoon. In Musters you shoot Herman Munster...
Why is that other then to Show something from the license? It makes no sense and tells no Story.

That said: I don't need a great story but "defeat all other houses and become the head honcho" or "defeat the black knight" is an actual goal and not just the usual "finish all modes for wizard mode" letdown.

In this regard I'm very much looking forward to the new black knight. We don't know yet how fun interaction will be, but if it feels halfway decent (I'm not yet 100% sold on it comapring to the Vengeace for example) this game will be a winner!

#1701 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Hope that’s not April fools

I bet it is...

Well not really, but BK will definately not be the new one.

#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I don't think they would do that. I'm betting it's real. Can't wait to see it.

Jack would never do that...

...btw. when did Bill & Ted came out?

#1708 4 years ago

The way Tim Sexton describes the game from batteling the black Knights minions, over swamp lands etc. before getting in the castle sounds awesome.

I'm sceptical nontheless because they talked about the awesome script an writers they had for Deadpool, wich lent to believe there was some kind of story (wich there wasn't) and cool callouts (wich were... at least "toned down" a bit).
(Edit: I still don't know how they could mess this up and not manage to tie the modes together in any way.)

I hope they get this right. Like I said a bit above, battling for an (easy to understand) goal for me is one of the most motivating aspects of a game and if the modes add to the center toy that'd be awesome!

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

But it's not IN their collections. To each his own but I dont add a game once I pay for it, I add it once I get it in my house. New or used.

By paying it you've earned the right to brag about it!

#1718 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's true! And it never backfires with Stern.
I remember people will still calling themselves "Magic Girl Owners" till the bitter end when they finally accepted they owned nothing besides a several thousand dollar loss.

It only backfires with oneself beeing the laugingstock.
(Myself included, when I bought Star Wars Pro NIB sight unseen and sold it 2 weeks later.)

#1721 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

they didn’t strip out that much from the pro mainly the upper PF

Everyone laments that Stern doesn't put enough engineering/ toys in their games (minus Batman'66) but then buys the further stripped down version 'because it's not THAT bad'.

I love everything I've seen of the new Black Knight so far but there is no denying the Pro does look bare (as always).

Edit: And no that is not meant as an attack, I couldn't afford a Premium/ LE either, so the Pro is better than nothing. But that is why JJP in (only) this regard is way more popular...

#1723 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Tron is bare, worked out ok.

I was not saying bare equals bad.
Heck I play a lot of Maiden and there's no real toy to speak of in it.

But still i'd wanna go for the "full experience" and long for the late 90's mechs quality.

If I'd have the money to buy an BKSoR LE,... I wouldn't know if I'd buy it next to a MMR.
Full interactive castle or LED animated flames on a castle painted backpanel?

That said:
I don't want the MMR. I want the BK LE to have a full molded castle on the top playfield instead of a ball locking mech covered in 2 plastics.
How awesome would that be?!

Or at least something (molded) that resembles a catapult that this lock is supposed to symbolize.

#1726 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Some fully motorized pins are not all that and a bag of chips. I mean look at JM or JD or BW which have a ton of stuff on board while AFM hardly has more than BK3 pro except for more ramps.
I find MM with castle and trolls to be ok game in that the shots may take a backseat to the toys.
Your results may vary.

Yeah. Full of stuff doesn't equal to greatness either but I really miss the wow-moments of MMs castle, JMs Hand (still loving it and it seems I'm the only one this doesn't get old for) and so on...
And we'll never gonna get that again if the engineering cost hast to be financed with a copule of hundered LE's and unknown quantities of Premiums, while the Pro is the big seller.

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Yeah, I thought WoZ was stuffed with everything.....then i played a POTC. Is there anything they didn't put in that pin?

3 spinning discs and an openable (is that a word?) chest would've been awesome.

Nah, it's great but sometimes I think JJP overdoes it. XD

With Houdinis center stage mech and the catpult (and all the decoration) that's really close to what I wish for in a game (mechanically).
Edit: And of course The Big Lebowski.

#1730 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Are they streaming a pro or LE tonight? My guess is pro, but just curious if anyone knew.

Regular.

Edit: Williams

#1735 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

than, for those caming late, it will be this :
[quoted image]

While bickering a whole lot :
I've played the BK and BK2000 and I very much like the idea of the lexan upper playfield with the full playfield beneath, since the upper playfield in the old BKs are more of a 'lifted' playfield. - There was nothing beneath that upper playfield to shoot for and on top of that I've found the shots on BK2000 to be hard to see.

#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I heard they had to tie Steve Richie down to a chair before telling him the Pro had to loose the upper playfield. Even then, 2 interns lost 3 theeth and an eye before they got him calmed down.

If any podcaster would ask him how many interns actually got clobbered in this decision process that'd be awesome.

#1739 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think it is intentional marketing genius.
When companies produce three tiers of a thing, the middle tier is the one they hope to sell the most of.

I don't think that Stern sells more Premiums then Pros.
Since Pros are for Location and about 50% of their sales still move to Location and many people can't afford a Pro or see enough difference to the Premium the Pros propably sell waaay more then Premium & LE combined.
Not that it proves much but with WWE there is not even a Premium and the LE didn't sell out. (And the game is not THAT bad. It was the Hulkster shitstorm that was the final nail in the coffin.)

#1755 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He said he was headed to Stern to work out the logistics - still probably an April Fools gag.

1st of April is over here. If I don't get BK3000 I sue all of you!!!

#1771 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

considering cancelling my LE order.. #butthurt

One more for me!!!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1774 4 years ago

you want two LE's?

I want 600. One for each penis of mine...

Sadly I can aford none, but still can have fun with that 600 genitals of mine.

Edit: Nobody here seems to like'em.

#1779 4 years ago

What actually astonishes me:

If you go to Burger King in Germany that kinda looks like a classic american Diner from the 60's (in a way, it's highly stylized)...

...now this 'real' US Burger King looks like some fastfood shithole from the 80s.

#1782 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

they stopped caring many years ago from the condition of most of their stores.

It sure shows!

For comparison:

2-format4004 (resized).jpg2-format4004 (resized).jpg
#1789 4 years ago

Hilarious.. I dropped around 8500 on a game sight unseen.. and Stern and Jack Danger thinks its funny to dangle it in my face.. my money is going elsewhere. I'm just one person so I'm sure they will laugh and not care.. that's fine, there are choices in pinball now.

Srsly? - They said before that first gameplay will be shown at midwest gaming or whatever the name is in two weeks and this little joke was pretty obvious.

So you really want to skip a possibly awesome game only because of a lil obvious april fools joke you fell for?!

#1818 4 years ago

April fools!.. I'm not passing up on Steve Ritchie.. Black Knight, and Metal! \m/.. Disappointed more of you didn't take the bait though.. If this game ships with incomplete code though.. you better know I'll be bitching about this goof off session prior to launch!

I fell for it,... because it's a total realistic thing for a pinsider to do.

#1822 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Does anyone think the clear upper PF is going to be so scratched after a short while so you won't be able to see thru it? I had a WPT that had this issue and with the recent cheapening that Stern does I wouldn't doubt if the plastic isn't has durable as in the past. I ordered a pro but really like the look of the upper PF. I'd like to play one first and upgrade later if possible but that plastic playfield has me concerned.

I don't know what the WPT Playfield is made of in detail (plastic is not plastic) but the Lexan Ac/Dc Vault lower-playfield-window seems to do fine.

#1860 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I love BK2K so this machine has really sparked my interest in possibly buying my 1st NIB title (even though I've considered others I just never followed through). I understand the upper play field is an iconic feature for the title but; is that and it's components the only difference in the Pro and Premium? The Feature Matrix seems to state that case but maybe I'm missing some other features. Do you think that additional cost of the Premium is too high if the only difference is the upper play field? Perhaps the game play is so much better that the additional cost is justified but either way from the teaser videos this looks like an amazing game.
Usually my budget is less than the cost of a Pro model but I'm hopeful I can somehow find the funds.
Honestly, the biggest disappointment to me is the lack of the mirrored backglass found on the LE model.

Upperplayfield with 3rd Flipper, Ball Lock, RGB Floodlights and other shots. Runway lights beneath the metal ramps lightning bolts, Powdercoated metal apron, drop target instead of 2nd spinner...

#1863 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

It's on the line.....
[quoted image]

Uhm...

On the riggt is Ripleys Vault!!!

#1873 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

More likely the less successful games get used as dummy testers at the factory. Sopranos and RBION? Why vault games that go for 2/3 the price of a nib and that nobody has even been asking about. A guy locally has been trying to sell his Rbion for months.

Yeah I was way too quick...

But RBION is a great game, a vault could sell if you redo most of the art package....

#1912 4 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I paid for my LE today.
Come on Stern. I'm waiting!!!!
Will be a couple of the longest months of my life.

Never get in a legal case... XD

#1927 4 years ago

I like that animation. Stern might get it this time.

That said I wait for the GUI/ Score Table etc. on the game.
That is where they (in my opinion of course) usually f**** up.

But what we have seen until know really s more Metal than Maiden, like somebody said earlier (kudos to you).

And same Problem as Asael !

#1931 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Nothing is more metal than Iron Maiden dude! Up the IRONS!

Zombie Yetis art is "too clean" with its comicbook outlines compared to Black Knights... smudginess (wich usually would be a con).

#1935 4 years ago

Man... I try saving up on a new machine and all of 'em that I want to have are Steve Ritchie games.

So if you don't mind (since we're waiting for new info anyway) maybe endulge me and offer some input:

Star Trek (Pro) - One of the best games ever and I really love it. Great flow. 7 shots if you don't count the targets (and the 'gate' behind the upper right flipper). Vengeance toy is fun to shoot and has a lot of interactivity with drop target lock, magnet, backkicker and shaking ship. Problem with this I allready had one, had to sell it on a *uh* involuntary basis... but... well... rebuying it will give me a great game but I've seen it all allready. (First world problems.) No Star Trek Fan; watched the new movies because of the pinball and liked them (first one most, then second...).

Game of Thrones (Pro) - This one has only 6 shots (I count the ram as a target) and even worse playfield art than Star Trek. I have no connection to the license, so I don't give a sh** about the main theme playing in the beginning but it's a very fun game to shoot and I like the idea of choosing a house and defeating everyone else WAY more then just finishing just scenes from the movies in Star Trek. Toys are ok, definately need a shaker motor to give the flapping wings of the dragon and the ram some oomph! (Then it's great, if not definately looses to ST.)

Black Knight SoR (Pro... because money) - This one has only 5 shots. Only 3 of them uninterrupted (ST 5, GoT 4 if the Ball lock is open). In addition some shots got lost due to the lack of the upper playfield. I'm very sceptical if it has enough flow compared to... well, SRs usual. But I'm a bad player so a really big left lane like here is something I might hit. It definately looks best of all SR games... ever. I allready like the music better than in GoT. Toys seem cool (Shield as a Target and Backkicker mechanism in one and that flail) but of course motion of the Knight (wich was intended) would have been cooler than LED. - So you need the additional 500$ topper to get that. From the sound of it we'll get kind of a fully fledged story mode in this game, wich I would really dig.

So yeah, if BKSoR really delivers on a story mode, shoots good and the "webslinger" VUKs deliver the game back on the ramp in a quick manner this could be the game to go for for me, but shotwise (just by looking on the playfield pictures) and still wanting a "new" (to me) game I'd still go for GoT Pro... but I kinda can't stand the art.

Maybe I need EVEN MORE OPTIONS?! - GoT Pro Vault with new art, Stern?

What a great problem to have... well, when I saved the money that is.

But by then a GoT Pro Vault may even be out... I've allready bought the mods. XD

#1938 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What’s with the square spot on backboard?

60 Leds that simulate a fire in the castlegate

#1940 4 years ago

If yeah I forgot about the 2d castle. Sorry to bring it up so soon.

No need to be...

#1957 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I do really love TNA but if I was on a desert island I would not pick TNA or for a very small collection.

TNA was the last (and for about 3 months the only) game I had, when I sold all my machines (wich were Star Trek, Johnny Mnemonic, Operation Thunder, F14 and TNA to help financing buying our home)...

...I as well love that game very much but I just can't play it a long amount of time (as long as other games), because it's demanding, and yes there is not too much variation. Absolutely no problem,... if you have a second or third machine, that is. Just like you said.

First game I bought back was Johnny Mnemonic (best bang for the buck, has a cool toy and plays fast like a Ritchie game), wich hopefully never leaves me again. But now I'm hoping to get something new & fresh in addition.

#1963 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah but those waits are welcomed in times of heavy multis in TWD, SW etc. so its all works out in the end. I like TNA but in a home collection unless u host lots of pin parties it would get stale mighty quick.

As I said I had it 3 months as my "only" game and that was fine. But it's... just too hard.
(And by the time you might get annoyed a bit by the scoop rejecting a lot of shots, because the ball is just too fast.)

I can't be allways on my toes. - Have that one put up next to a ST wich plays smooth as butter and all is fine!

To get back to Black Knight:
With so much backfiring stuff right in the middle of the game (Flail, Center Target, Backkicking Shield Target, usual Shield Target) this game will propably be pretty hard as well. Really looking forward to the gameplay reveal.

#1986 4 years ago

You can catch a glimse of the LCD in the Little promotional trailers.

While the little snippets we got to see are great, I'm not too happy with the "usual" GUI.
Looks a bit like Maiden with the collected 'Stuff' listed on the left (that's ok) but the actual score again is pretty small on the bottom of the screen.

Not exactly a fan of this (but I'm in the minority, a DMD would still do it for me).
But I wish they'd make it a bit bigger and more obvious.
(That said, I will survive that. - But on Munsters I found it really hard to get wich players turn it is... )

#1994 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Stern would disagree
[quoted image]

Yes, it's technically possible because there are 6 balls in the machine.

No, it is not possible to add that 2x 3 Ball Multiball to get a 6 Ball Multiball.

Maybe there is an additionall 6 Ball Multiball for Wizard Mode, we don't know yet. But "regular" 6-Ball Multiball, wich comprises of the stacked 3 Ball Multiballs is not possible on the Pro, as said by timballs.

#1996 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Would they have you load six balls in the pro if it wasn’t going to use them all? Are there games that actually do that?

They use them at least in consecutive order.

I think there are, since it's cheaper to use one and the same assembly for everything.

But as said, possibly in the Wizard Mode.

#2000 4 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned in this already long thread, but my little $0.02 observation/concern is regarding how much space in the pro is "wasted" with the upper playfield not being there. Maybe they'll address with the code, but it seems like there is a lot of space being used up for what simply amounts to the rollover lanes and the pop bumpers. It takes up roughly a quarter to a third of the playfield space (circled in blue)! Look how much is covered by just plastics in that area (circled in green). With our without the upper playfield this sends like a waste of space. If this was an older EM or SS I wouldn't care as much, but with modern designs, much more is capable of being put into the layouts. Look at Iron Maiden for comparison.
[quoted image]

On the left is a ramp, so I don't see what's the problem there.
On the right is a big plastic, yes. I suppose there would sit some of the mech for the upper right Flipper or something in the Premium/ LE Version.

But, well, SR starts designing with the LE/ Premium and for the Pro stuff usually only get's taken out.

I don't really see a Problem but I understand where you come from.
But if bugs you, maybe you should get the Premium/ LE Version.

#2005 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Maybe because the last 4 or 5 pins I've had were been pretty loaded with stuff and code and long playtimes I'm loving the fact that this is a one ramp. open concept heavy metal fest of darkness. I needed this and couldn't have asked for a better theme, well Slayer but still and perhaps some kindly fella out there will do a custom sound rom, all Slayer or better yet all Death Metal.

Ultimate Mannowar-Mod:
Set the machine on fire while playing!!!
Sadly only works one time.

#2008 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

If it did, I'm pretty sure Stern marketing wouldn't hide that fact.

This plus it's riveted/ screwed.

#2039 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Aside from the spot you pointed out. I noticed these 3
posts have nylon nuts but nothing under them.
[quoted image]

Look again. XD

These are posts holding a rubber alongside.

#2131 4 years ago

Ah, good... So that's not only me and not a lack of my english as foreign language skills.

#2175 4 years ago
Quoted from Seraph:

Multimorphic has competitive online play in Heads Up and #cosmic-cart-racing . George Gomez has also said that online features are coming soon to Stern titles. I'm sure some co-op play will show up, too, once the infrastructure is in place.

I don't think he said "soon". In a recent interview around TPF with someone from Stern that was even more vague... couple of years vague.

#2191 4 years ago

Can't find anything to nit-pick...

Must continue looking, can't afford...

#2198 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Jjp lightning/lightshows are way beyond anything stern has did for the most part. Star trek premium/le does a good job but still a far cry from jjp pins imo.

When I poop it has much more aroma then a stone and it tastes way more intensive... I heard.
Stones are a far cry form poop imo. Non the less both are a great material for building houses.

(I prefer stone. )

#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

This is either lost in translation or you've had too much to drink

Sorry, I just wanted to compare two things noone has asked about and that have absolutely no context to anything just like the person I'm was quoting.

I know we all type... SOMETHING... just to bear the wait.
Really looking forward to this!

I'm sober... but it's very late. Better off to bed now! :-*

#2323 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I liked what I have seen. But man this game looks brutal.

Yup!

I'm think I'm too bad of a player for that...

I mean, with Deadpool Jack nearly finished the game (if they didn't tell him not to) and here the Keith Elwins of the world were pretty much beaten up...

#2331 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Meaning I can pay 5 bucks on a mobile game app and get far better graphics.[quoted image]

Pinball gives you infinite resolution, framerate, top notch physics engine and force feedback!

#2721 4 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

At Marco both and glass is off. I can confirm: it's a real feather. .

Wich bird?

#2823 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Review:
Again just my opinion.

That's ok and thx for your impressions!

#2949 4 years ago

Thanks to the pinball browser and a sinister character I'm listening to the Music & Callouts of BKSoR on pinball browser.

Browsing trough the callouts I think and hope there's way more to come from the "beige" knight and lots of humor.

So there's:
"Superduperloopa Jackot" (lol)
"I can learn to be good/ let's have a brew and talk etc." (beige knight)
"It's just a flesh wound" (monty python)
doing funny voices aaaand...
Of course "Agaaaain!", "Play Better" and "Fight".

Awesome!

If they really put all this in (there's callouts relating to the story development as well) this is a must-buy for me.

#2950 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Do you like to drink wine in the bathtub? Do you cut the eyes out of pictures of your ex? Do you like to cut yourself while watching Twilight?
That kind of music.

Yes, dunno, and I'd never watch Twilight... ok, with the exeption of Twilight Sparkle! (Brony)

#3044 4 years ago

So for those who played the game:

I'm (just by looking at the specs) a bit bummed that the Black Knight toy doesn't shake (like the Vengeance f.e.).
(So ist misses some direct interactivity if you just hit the target beneath it.)
The toys has a lot of other cool features tough.

So my question is...
...does the Black Knight toy seem lacking or is it awesome as it is?

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s an ACTUAL interactive “toy” in that the ball strikes the shield and flail, and you’d prefer it just rattle around like the Vengeance ship?
I think it has to be one or the other. Having it rattle around probably wouldn’t add much, and likely would be a disaster for reliability.

The Vengeance don't just rattle...
It has a drop target, magnet and backkicker all in one shot so I'd call it massively interactive.
(And it feels great to shoot.)

Hitting the center target of the BK toy feels... I want to know.

#3093 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I figured I'd get those downvotes in this thread, but I can't lie. I played the crap out of Star wars, and it was a massive disappointment to me. Glad you guys like it!

To me as well. I bought it and sold it after 2 weeks (wanted to sell it after 3 days but everyone told me it get's better).

Still wouldn't call it a turd tough, it's just a game I happen to hate.

#3097 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I am still on the fence to buy a premium, but STERN is way too quiet about this game. There is still no information about in what direction this game will go. Will we see more modes, more monsters in it or is what it has now, all we will get and they just do a few bugfixes and this is the game? Everything I saw so far from this game is good but I just don't think it has enough content. In my opinion games like Iron Maiden are perfect with the content they have. Shortgoal gameplay and long goals to keep it interesting. If I count the modes and MBs in other STERN games like Iron Maiden or SW and than look what BK has so far. I can't pull the trigger and buy it now. I know that some STERN games took along time until the code was in a good shape but most times they talked in interviews or through insiders about the features that would come. So normaly I was relative early sure about buying a game. Is it just my feeling or is the hype about this game already over before it realy started? With Iron Maiden, Keith was everywhere: tilforum, streams, podcasts, interviews.....talking about the features what we will see in future updates and I knew excactly what game I will get when I ordered it. What is the direction they are trying to go with this game, will it be shallow but addictive like in the 80' just with LCD and LEDs. Or will it also have modern rules and enough content like other games now have?

You're just too good of a pinballer.

Looking at gameplay I think I will never "beat" that game as it is now.

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

I’ve got 500 games in on my pro and I’ve had no shield issues, for what anecdotal evidence you may care about.

Since Im not familiar with everyone:

Was that in a private home or on location? (Either is impressive but if you played these all by yourself I'd like to read an extensive review. :O )

#3169 4 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Agree. It JUST MAKES NO SENSE where it's at too! Adding a button on the side of the cabinet would have cost them pennies. I would love to know the the thoght process on this.. I'm sure a side button was discussed, and the final decision was "no". Maybe Steve Ritchie can comment on this if someone gets a chance to ask him?

The answer propaby'd start with a "G" and ends with "a-r-y".

#3177 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think the best option for this will be a long wire out the back and some quality 2 sided tape with a flat style button if thats possible. It would be a solid selling mod thats for sure. I actually enjoy the frantic move to hit that button on the bar. This pin is really something and thats not a honeymoon phase thing, talk about speed, jesus and the modes are so great. I'm looking forward to multiplayer action tonight, Maiden and SW's and TWD while fantastic lead to alot of waiting. The only issue I have at all is the BK's voice and the taunts themselves, they are a little too cheesy for my liking. I would have much preferred the voice of the guy in Maiden but this is a minor issue. The flow and lighting, sound is just amazing. Hell hand, thats all I have to say. My new favorite mode in pinball, well Horde, its close.

Actually put a connector inbetween and an footpedal trough the coindoor so you won't mess with anything.

#3179 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Oh ur messing with something, the pinball stance and the pinball dance. It would be more of a hinderance to gameplay for me to disrupt that then to move my hand over for the lockdown bar button.

For the guys that are to weak for that of course.

#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope when u say weak u are reffering to those players who are without proper stance and lack the required dance? Oh Yeah.

I'm referring to people wetting their pants when thy stand in front of the black knight!!;
(Listen to the last Slapsave Podcast, it's hilarious!)

#3253 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

And so it begins... My game won't ship for a couple of weeks and I already ordered a real knocker kit. This is definitely a game that needs a real loud knocker! Also, wondering if there will be any game specific Cliffy protectors or if it will just need the shooter lane protectors. I contacted Cliffy and at this point he has nothing in the works. Might be helpful if someone sends him pics of a shooter lane to know if existing protectors will work.

Isn't the real knocker only for Sam Systems?

Why needing a Cliffy for a metal ramp?

1 week later
#3341 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

What is it with people saying it is flat? How does that affect anything in regards to playing this pin.

If it's flat, so you can't see it as well, because most people get short sighted growing old?

Just in case someione thinks I'm serious:

2 weeks later
#3503 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Ha. The upper play-field is teaching me to pull before the nudge. Pull-Nudge, pull-nudge.
The winner of Stern's last tournament wore gloves. I couldn't see a need for it; Now I get it.

Plz, Elaborate... I don't get it.

#3507 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Usually they will fix an obvious bug with a quick code release.

I don't know the "they" you refer to. XD

Stern usually doesn't release an update for a single fix if it's not frying boards/ bricking the machine or makes location play impossible (like bugged cost per play settings).

We allready had an update or two and the game is just out, so just give 'em a week or two... PEASENT!!!

#3514 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I feel like that's a misrepresentation of the tone and intent of the question I asked to internet people.

Link plz.

1 week later
#3597 4 years ago
Quoted from swilson143:

I may have just bought the first used BKSOR LE! #166 The first owner didn't even have it two weeks!!! Traded me for my GOTGLE plus a little cash. I'm still stunned... 70 plays on it. He didn't even give it a chance!
My lucky day! Christmas came early, and I won't have to pay tax on the Premium I had on order. Win-win!
Downloading the latest code right now...[quoted image]

Since (in my personal opinion) GotG is an absolute turd, that's one heck of a deal!

GZ!

2 weeks later
#3689 4 years ago

Finally played Black Knight SoR Pro on a location near me that got the machine 2 days before!

First thing that popped out was that the fire backpanel wasn't working. It just 'flashed' when it was supposed to simulate a burning effect. Bummer but that doesn't change the game.

The game itself I mostly loved. It shoots well, I was able to combinate shots even tough I'm a bad player and it's tons of fun getting taunted by the Black Knight the whole time, wich leads to the "one more game" effect.
That said and without wanting to sound rude, you can definately notice the Kings age a bit, wich makes the Black Knight sounding a bit off from time to time. (I know it's really minor, it just stuck with me.)

The only thing that makes me not instantly buy this game is that the black knight itself doesn't move when you hit the target.
Yes he lights up and says "ouch" or something, but I just want some kind of physical feedback.
A shaker would maybe add to that, but if someone would build a mod for that (it doesn't even need software if you just fire up a coil when the target is hit) this thing would exceed the "Vengeance".

Does the shaker go off if you hit the knight?

#3700 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Steve Ritchie mentioned this wad the original intent but getting the mech in their with the other two was a engineering challenge. Would have really made it over the top! Oh well

When I listen to something like this I hear "It's not like I wanted either,... and it's all Garys fault!".

Well, the servo for the flail IS quite big as I've seen it so far.
Someone care to show how that BK mechs looks from beneath the playfield.

And question still:
Does the shaker go off when you hit the target beneath the knight?
(That would save a lot for me.)

3 weeks later
#3925 4 years ago

So, since the initial hype seems to have ended:

Anyone that played both versions of the game still'd say that he likes the Pro better?

#3939 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Stern sending me new spring for the launcher issues I’m having . I hate taking things apart hopefully won’t be too hard

So what now?! You WANTED a harder spring!!!

#3952 4 years ago

waiting on announcement BKSoR:WDE (White Damsel Edition) where the cabinet shows a damsel in partial white armor crawling. prem/LE really rocks. Now we need some sizzle.
STERN -> I'd like to see way more light show action than is in the code. I am thinking in the range of 5x the currently action. I want to see the circle of lighting bolts going crazy throughout the gameplay and during some modes. Whether they are white and cycling, changed to faster and then faster and then pulsing and then solid lit or whether they use chasing color patterns or any combination of stuff. But BKSoR code needs is some pulsing, spinning lights that are integrated with gameplay. If not integrated, these will still look really good and should be at the top of your to do list.

Well... to be honest now that you mention it it'd be cool to rescue a sexy damsel...

#3954 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Id like to see an actual multiball where you battle the knight. I still feel the knight toy is extremely underused

When I see how than Guy in Champions Pub moves I'm even more sad that the Black Knight doesn't even 'shake'.

1 week later
#3969 4 years ago

Played a bunch of BKSoR Pro on location today. Again.

I absolutely love this game.

BUT...

...well, peoples assumptions that it may not be the game that sells/ earns like hotcakes may be true.

My location has the 5 latest Stern Pro games (wich ist great).
Iron Maiden and Deadpool are dirty as heck and Maidens flippers and coils lost a lot of their strength after 1 - 3 months.
But BKSoR as well as Munsters pretty much look and play like new. Guardians of the Galaxy, wich is the oldest of the five, also looks like it hasn't seen much play compared to Maiden & Deadpool.

That's kinda sad. For me BKSoR is a home run and I'd like to get a good deal on a used machine. But while Munsters Pro seem to pile up for sale I didn't see ANY BKSoR locally yet. - I hope it's because everyone loves the game but I'm afraid it might be also because it never sold that well to begin with. :-/

Needz more money!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
8,730 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ds_nadine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=ds_nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.