(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Blacksun (5 years ago)

Post #139 Info about legal entities - licensing Posted by PPS (5 years ago)

Post #425 Link to pictures and interview of SR Posted by ASOA (5 years ago)

Post #449 Pictures of the game Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #482 High resolution cabinet pictures Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #505 Rule card Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #517 Gameplay videos Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #521 Link to interviews Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #647 Feature matrix Posted by ovfdfireman (5 years ago)

Post #3606 Explains how the upper PK is mounted Posted by swilson143 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aniraf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1175 5 years ago

Anyone know where to order an LE?

#1189 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Call Betson, I just got one.

Are you talking about this place? https://www.betson.com/contact-global-sales-thank-you/

They seem to be closed :/.

#1226 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Pinball.com ask for Mike DaDonna 1-800-727-8363

Thank you. Joe at pinballstar might have one for me. I appreciate everyone jumping on my question!

#1271 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Joe sells sterns?

No, I think he knows someone. I’ll hopefully figure it out tomorrow.

#1273 5 years ago

Anyone else notice that there are no star posts in the pictures. Are all of the new Sterns like that? I like it.

#1559 5 years ago

It seems off to me that Stern would manufacture any version without an upper play field since the game series is well known for the two play fields. Maybe I am crazy.

1 week later
#2643 5 years ago

Clearly the most impressive thing about BKSoR is that I leaned it is okay to say fuck in my pinside posts. Thanks you awesome community of haters .

#2739 5 years ago

I’m curious to see how the pro vs. prem/LE debate turns out. On this game, it seems like that upper play field will change the entire speed of play. I personally think it seems a little like #tna. Blazing fast gameplay until you get into that upper play field. You can get a run where you bounce it around for a while building the bigger score. Then it fires out and mayhem ensues.

#2874 5 years ago

Would it be possible to install an eddy sensor then trigger the magna save automatically? This would be assuming you don’t need logic and that it fires every time the ball is near regardless of if you have saves to consume.

2 weeks later
#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from Freedom:

BKsor kinda reminds me of TNA. Bottom portions of the playfields are brutal. TNA grid is 3 hard shots like the Knight Toy. Ball lock for Multiball just to the right for both pins. One wicked fast orbit for each game. The reactor is kinda like the upper playfield.

I have yet to play it but thought the exact same thing.

3 weeks later
#3494 4 years ago
Quoted from jmcadres:

#39 reporting for duty!
Anyone else with an LE noticing a weak right lower flipper? Enough power to barely hit the ramps, but not even close to the power in the left flipper. Haven't found anyone else mentioning it anywhere......so I'm thinking it might just be my pin. Bummed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would probably replace the sleeve. I had an issue with a new game where one of the factory flipper sleeves was kind of crappy and greatly impacted performance.

#3521 4 years ago
Quoted from jmcadres:

You’re in Gilbert? I’m near Elliot and Recker.
The crappy sleeve you replaced, was it damaged?

The one that shipped in my #TNA was weird. It was about 5mm too short and rough on the inside. I just put a new one in there and everything seemed to work great. That said, I have recently noticed that flipper doesn’t have the same kind of power as the other one. Perhaps the coil is not working correctly and the sleeve wasn’t the issue.

#3524 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Check voltage and coil resistance. 95% of the time it'll be mechanical though (or eos on older games). Sometimes just loosening the coil stop & tightening or reinstalling the flipper shaft with a proper gap will resolve it. Does it feel any different moving the flipper with your finger vs the other side?

Good questions. The flipper shaft is definitely not moving. I tested it and it is pretty solid. The playfield/flipper gap seems adequate. What resistance should I expect on the flipper? The EOS thing is interesting too. Let me do some more testing.

2 weeks later
#3672 4 years ago
Quoted from swilson143:

Tonight I noticed that the factory never tightened a screw for the red plastic separating the WAR Lanes under my upper PF, so I had to figure out how to remove it.
It was actually simple, except for the hunting around trying to figure out how it was mounted. Let me save you all some time...
All you'll need is a #1 Phillips screw driver and your 1/4" nut driver.
There are 4 electrical connectors running to the upper PF. Reach behind the back of your PF and disconnect them there.
Using the nut driver, remove one screw (RED DOT) and two aluminum extensions (GREEN DOTS). Using your screw driver remove two small screws (PINK DOTS) and pop the metal scoop off the end of the shooter ramp.
Now you can lift entire upper PF off as one assembly. REALLY NICE DESIGN!! And you don't even fuss with the flipper, it stays in place and the PF lifts off around it.
And checkout the handle they mounted to the rear of the PF to help you lift the PF... classy.[quoted image]

This was very helpful to me, however you didn't mention that the wiring harness for the left side of the upper play field had an adapter which is way too large for the hole in which the wires run through. That means that once you remove it, you are still tethered to the rest of the playfield .

I really wish they had elected to use a different sized adapter so that you could simply pull the wires out. That would make this a perfect design.

#3695 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

We just got a Premium this past week at our league location. I've played the Pro a bunch at Allentown but have to say I really like the Premium better. And this is after the fact that I first thought I liked the Pro better because I don't really like upper playfields.

I have to agree. I don’t want to be one of those upper play field trolls but I really think it is a better game with it. Both versions are great. You can’t go wrong either way. I think the game plays a lot like #tna which is interesting.

#3705 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I still haven’t found a BKSoR pro to play but love the LE. Would you say the BKSoR pro feels like a complete game or does it feel like a separate but equally awesome game? Can’t imagine playing this game and enjoying it without an upper playfield, feeling it is integral to the strategy and the way one plays the game. Is it any different for you on BKSoR? If the pro feels like a complete but different game, is anyone crazy enough to have a pro & prem/le sitting next to each other at home?
As a reference, all versions of Munsters feel like one game to me and while the prem/le has an added lower playfield that is cool, I don’t miss it playing on a pro. Color or no color all versions give me 95% of the experience. Also on Deadpool, the left orbit shot around back of game, down the shooter lane then up and down to the right flipper is cool but feel I get 95% of the experience with a DP pro. Do you still get 95% of the experience with BKSoR pro?

Personally, I would say that BKSoR pro feels complete. That said, the game became an unrelenting battle for the three major targets on the lower playfield. There is simply no reprieve. You get ripped over and over by high speed rejections and the loops. The only break you get is the 1.5 seconds it takes for the flail ramp to return down that wire which the prem and LE don't have. It is basically the same as the prem and LE if you were to never nudge or use your upper flipper. Also the shooter lane becomes faster as it can turn into a quick loop when you hold the left flipper for the super skillshot.

On the prem and LE I feel like the high speed battles on that upper playfield give you a whole new dynamic. I've had some insane runs up there where I'm basically cheering after finally locking or loosing the ball. Certainly code could make it better, but even left as is I feel like there is something special with that tiny playfield.

I think both games are very well done. If you want to save some money, you will absolutely have fun on the pro. If you are on the fence, I think the upper playfield is worth the prem price and will most likely hold its value.

This is entirely my opinion, and I'm not trying to step on other people's reviews. The haters can go back to complaining that the skeletons aren't bony enough .

#3710 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah, thats why I prefer the Pro.

I totally understand that. Total Nuclear is like that for me so I didn’t want to have two games which are similar in that way. That said, I like it a lot and there is a ton to love with the pro version.

#3711 4 years ago

I didn’t get any responses in the club forum so I am going to try the same post here:

After I put the upper playfield back on, I feel like I get a lot of rejects off the flail ramp. Before it seemed like it was butter smooth. I verified the flap is correct and the everything is lined up perfectly. How does everyone else’s work?

Do people find that shot needs to be pretty perfect in order to crest the loop?

#3713 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I don't know what the ramp flap situation is with this ramp in particular but I know with normal ramp flaps that have wood screws you don't want to tighten them all the way as it creates a dip that steals momentum. Once again don't know how this works with the upper PF but make ssue your ramp flap is as smooth an angle as possible while mating the entirety of the front surface. It can make a big difference.
That's my best guess but somebody with a prem/le help this dude out.

LOL, thanks for the request to help me out . The "flap" I am talking about is actually at the very back of the ramp. It connects to the scoop/turnaround so that the ball can roll as smooth as possible. As far as I can tell, there is only one way to attach this to the backboard. I don't think you could screw it up unless you somehow bent that flap or pinched it. The scoop/turnaround thing has only millimeters of play. It is screwed into t-nuts so I know that it is not misplaced in any way. The backboard also has very clear nuts which it screws into. I can't see any potential for that to have been assembled incorrectly.

My current theory is that it is just a hard shot sometimes. It has to be hit pretty clean. Maybe what I thought I saw before disassembly was misleading and I didn't really play it enough to know.

#3715 4 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

I have a theory.
I've played my LE a ton for the last four weeks (and love it). Over the course of a long game it becomes harder and harder to make the ramp shot to the point of never making it with the right flipper. Then when I open the door and touch the lower flipper coils they are extremely hot.
I believe that they are fading in power as the coils overheat. I replaced the right lower coil with a Pinball Life 090-5020-2ot coil and clipped the diode. https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html
I now can make the ramp from the right flipper through a sequential series of games.
Now we just need plastic protectors for the overall plastic set to offset the slightly higher frequency of airballs.
-Nate

This is really interesting! I was looking to see if Stern offered coil adjustments, but unfortunately they do not. I can echo that I typically see the same behavior.

#3761 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

As soon as I heard this was coming out I was super excited, had my name down for an LE and was offered one by our local distributor. I own both the original BK and BK2K.
However, after seeing the Dead Flip stream, I was really disappointed. The theme had been altered from the originals in my view, the Dark Knight had become some sort of futuristic horse riding warrior and you had to battle sandworms!?? Did anyone else feel this way?
I cancelled my order and haven't looked back until I saw the code update announcement this morning. Not trying to start a fight, just generally curious if others were so put off by the change.

It is certainly a different style of game, but to me it feels like a natural and updated extension of the series. Have you played one with an upper play field?

#3800 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

What do you mean by joke free I personally love the funny call outs

Yeah, that baby voice will never get old. I like the mix of jokes and serious. I do agree with comment that the recordings sound like they are mixed in terms of quality. Some are loud and clear while others sound muffled. Also I'm pretty certain that the "boosted" call outs are the same as the ones from Ernie Hudson in GB, but whatever .

#3819 4 years ago

Are there any pictures of this magic new playfield post? I want to see how amazing it is.

Also, has anyone noticed that if you hit the right flipper button a little bit, only the bottom flipper triggers? I wonder if that was by design or a bug.

#3828 4 years ago

I’m confused about the new post…the concept is that you could essentially keep the ball in the upper play field forever? Is there a negative consequence to that seeing as the ball can never drain?

#3830 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

The ball can still drain. The (optional) post helps bump balls that went around the loop fly into the flipper, but you can still fumble that shot and lose the ball. The ball also needs to have some speed on it for the bump to do much. Players were already able to bump the ball into the flippers by nudging the game while the game was rolling on the rubbers in the upper playfield, the post just makes this automatic.

I guess I need to see it. In my mind this makes the upper play field too easy. It is possible that I am completely wrong in my imagination of this.

#3853 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I would not be concerned. I played te LE at the Rocky Mountain pinball expo and I believe,it must have had this "enhancement" as it did exactly as described here. Ball still got down to the lower playfield. Not to worry.

Absolutely! I am not knocking it at all...I am just curious as to how it works. I am sure they wouldn't add something that made the game super easy. I am not the best player, yet I can sometimes keep a ball up there for 45+ seconds. I just need to see if I like it or not...as everyone has noted, it is completely optional.

#3892 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Didn’t I read that someone has installed a playfield protector on upper playfield? and maybe lower? Were they Stern’s protectors or third party’s? How much time to install upper protector and lower?
With any luck and a few more revisions of software I’ll be ready to buy a premium. Would really like a LE but am broke. So unless some sugar momma wants to buy me an LE, I’ll be slumming this one

I installed both playfield protectors (upper and lower). They are fairly easy to install however due to a dumb mistake I broke one of the posts when reinstalling the upper playfield. I documented that here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/11#post-5042538

Beyond that, I have noticed that the protector causes a rubbing between the upper playfield plastic and the protector itself which seems to produce a mark of sorts on the upper playfield. It is not a scratch, or dirt...it is a "rub mark" that can only be seen at certain angles. I imagine I could buff these out, but it is a bit annoying. I was asking if anyone else had seen upper playfield wear in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/13#post-5063381

But I have yet to get any responses.

I can't help you with the money for the LE...other than telling you the premium is the same game and you can't go wrong .

#3898 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

which protectors are you referring to, and where are they from? sorry, kinda new to this topic.

This type...https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/3NyT4heS-EizmXqWxb0Idg

2 months later
#3996 4 years ago
Quoted from jmcadres:

Over the past few months I’ve replace the coil sleeve (twice). My distributor has sent me a replacement board. Neither had any impact. I’m to the point that I hardly play the game any longer as the bottom right flipper is so weak that I can’t get the ball up the ramp.
I’ve played other BKSOR LEs on-site and they all have plenty of power at the lower right flipper. I think I got a lemon.
Will be in touch with Stern again tomorrow. Hoping they can do something for me.

That is a huge bummer! I guess it could be the coil? Does BKSoR have EOS switches or are they digitally controlled? If it has them, it could be that too? If Stern is helping you, I am sure they will know better than me. I have to believe they can get it fixed up. Keep us posted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 300.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aniraf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=aniraf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.