(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Blacksun (5 years ago)

Post #139 Info about legal entities - licensing Posted by PPS (5 years ago)

Post #425 Link to pictures and interview of SR Posted by ASOA (5 years ago)

Post #449 Pictures of the game Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #482 High resolution cabinet pictures Posted by BoJo (5 years ago)

Post #505 Rule card Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #517 Gameplay videos Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #521 Link to interviews Posted by PinB (5 years ago)

Post #647 Feature matrix Posted by ovfdfireman (5 years ago)

Post #3606 Explains how the upper PK is mounted Posted by swilson143 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#185 5 years ago

From the cruddy blue tinted pic it looks like a major fan layout, almost like GoT, no?

Super cool they did this btw! I hope it has proper magna saves with buttons on the sides to activate!

#271 5 years ago

BKSR obviously.

#792 5 years ago

So now we know it has Magna-Save but can the spinner(s) be lit and ripped to make that incredible escalating pitch dynamic spinner sound ala the original BK???

If so I might just have to order one for that alone. Still my favorite shot in pinball.

#823 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't know - I'm not impressed. Seems like so much of what we've seen from Stern already. I want to play this thing first b/c I love Richie but it seems meh to me. Pro with no upper on a game like BK is terrible.
I just hope stern doesn't cheap out on JPW. I want something special stern.

Something's got to give to reach the Pro price point. I haven't seen a stream yet so no idea how much fun the upper PF even is.

#851 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

My initial reaction was "outstanding" and started trying to justify an LE. I've never been an LE buyer, but own and like BK and BK2K, so this might be the one to get me there. Would love to hear if anyone else tries to justify it logically. I tried to quantify it like this...
+$100 Mirrored Backglass
+$100 Art blades
+$100 3-channel amp
+$250 HD glass
+$150 Shaker
+$250 Armor
About $950. Anyone else try this approach and come up with different numbers? Then there's intangibles like exclusivity and artwork preference.
I wish I could consider the pro, but it's not BK without upper playfield in my opinion. I wish they differentiated elsewhere. I think a better way would have been have the full RGB lighting only on premium and LE. Still give the pro an upper playfield, but keep it simple: maybe virtual lock instead of mechanical one.
As I'm analyzing the gameplay I'm starting to question some of the choices.
I really think the upper playfield orbit shot should have a spinner, which would be great to rip. Don't like that pro has 2 spinners and Prem/LE only 1.
There doesn't look like there's any flow-shot to the upper flipper. It would be great if you could chain lower shot into upper orbit path then to upper flipper and directly chain into ripping orbit shots and through a spinner. Maybe the upper transition shots are landing to the upper flipper, but doesn't look certain to me.
I think the VUK to upper playfield would be better behind the mace (or what weapon is BK holding?). As it is, both transition shots to upper playfield are more stop/go with either VUK or mace-block, although you can miss the mace. I just think it would be better if the far outer shot would be an uninterrupted flow shot to the upper playfield. The VUK seems like it would make more sense behind the mace as that's already a potential stop/go shot anyway.
Lightning wheel looks really plain and cheap to me: just some solid colors. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a Sega. That could really use some more sophisticated design or graphic.
Basically, first thought was outstanding and take-my-money but beginning to talk myself out of it or at least take a wait-and-see approach instead.
I do like there's only 600 LEs, should help keep the value better.

I did the same math on IMDN LE when I got mine. Basically by my figuring the jump from Prem to LE actually makes sense in terms of the additional features relative cost and the presumed slightly improved resale value for being the LE (assuming a popular game).

What sucks is the leap from the pro to the Premium. I couldn't make that math work at all in terms of the features but once I decided I had to have the Prem level gameplay, etc. it was easy to jump all the way to the LE, in terms of rationalization and I have zero regrets about that decision.

The biggest regret I would have if I didn't get the LE would be the lack of a real mirrored backglass. Stupid, but on a game like BK where all the previous ones had such amazing mirrored backglasses it would bother me forever.

#1064 5 years ago

Nevermind, mispost.

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

No need to fret over losing out on an LE. All the cabinets look awesome, so unless getting the real backglass is critical for you, its best just to wait for a premium. Let the early guys work out the bugs/issues and form a solid consensus on its play. At least that's the stance I'm taking on this title.

Yeah I was real close to jumping in on an LE yesterday. But really the LE brings nothing I care about or can't add myself later for 1/10th the cost of the upgrade EXCEPT the mirrored backglass. So I came to my senses and put myself on the list for a Prem - give me time to play a pro at least and see a gameplay stream or two.

On the mirrored translight front, someone must be able to make a mirror translight for a guy, right? PM me if you've got "information"...

#1358 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

What are y'all thinking regarding Pinstadiums for this one?

Probably not.

With the PF layout the way it is you only really need lighting on the bottom 1/2. Plus the long metal shooter lane would look crap with the zebra-stripe effect. Plus castles are not lit like stadiums, they are lit with carefully placed torches. Plus the backboard castle buring effect and upper PF RGB GI lighing would both probably be diminished by stadium lighting.

I'd rather have more mood appropriate lighting for this theme. See how it is out of the box and add a couple spots if necessary.

I just finished adding spots to my IMDN LE and it came out great. Visibility if great and the mood is perfect.

#1362 5 years ago

...I hope the castle burning effect on the backboard goes off in attract mode a lot - my BKSoR can double as a nice fireplace for the room.

#1366 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:...I hope the castle burning effect on the backboard goes off in attract mode a lot - my BKSoR can double as a nice fireplace for the room.

Actually building on this idea it could be a super cool config setting for “Fireside Attract Mode” where the fire would be burning with crackling sounds all super mellow and every once in awhile one of the game characters (BK himself or a minion) would say something conversational and they would basically have a fireside chat with funny lines and casual observations.

#1472 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

CBG-like nitpick: Look at the sword the BK is holding on the backglass. I feel like it doesn't 100% line up with his left hand. Could benefit from the sword being rotated just a few degrees.

I noticed this too. Currently in on a Prem but man, that will drive me bonkers. Maybe swap the Pro translite?

#1581 5 years ago

So I have a theory regarding the large discrepancies in the girth of the “Sword of Rage” in its various depictions in the artwork.

After careful review and minutes of consideration I believe that the Sword of Rage (tm) is in actuality a metaphor for the Black Knight's "psychic member"!

Like most men, he derives his amazing confidence and power from his own mind's eye view of the enormity of his phallic being at any point in time.

Note in the following two pics the sword is roughly the same size, though it does seem to have thickened a little (not to mention electrified) in the second one.

Just a regular guy with a pretty average sized sword in his hand...

Normal girthNormal girth

Starting to feel a little uppity are we?

Is the shaft a little thicker...Is the shaft a little thicker...

However, in the Premium cabinet art the Sword of Fury (tm) it has become engorged with power and the Black Knight can barely wrap his fingers around it! He must be well neigh invincible at this point!!

OMG!OMG!

This idea has vastly improved my overall view of the game - I mean who wouldn't want to power up and then wield a giant throbbing Sword of Rage against their enemies!

#1582 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

How about depth perception.
Anyone notice that the shield is where his elbow should be?
Maybe his lower arm was cut off with that sword and the shield was attached to his stump?
Another thing I just can't un-see
[quoted image]

Well, as shown in the pic below, the shield is mounted to his arm so I think that it's fine.

IMG_0230 (resized).jpgIMG_0230 (resized).jpg
#1856 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

All fair points, and I agree. My question was poorly worded... it seems like a lot of extra money for the upper play field (ball lock, flipper, lexan, 1 drop target, steel rail) but I suppose that's always the case between the Pro/Premium models. I certainly don't want manufactures basing prices on game play (you know the costs won't decrease if it's bad, they will only increase if they are good).

I love the theme and BK was my first game, etc. In on Premium currently but I'm actually torn about the upper PF. It honestly looks pretty boring. 3 shots, one of which is a loop. Would have been much better if they could have added another 3 drop target bank up there. Maybe talk to Multimorphic about a cool drop target mech that can mount flush on plastic.

Also shots seems super right-flipper heavy with almost everything returning to the right flipper on the ramp.

Will be very interested in game-play footage on this one...

#1930 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I like that animation. Stern might get it this time.
That said I wait for the GUI/ Score Table etc. on the game.
That is where they (in my opinion of course) usually f**** up.
But what we have seen until know really s more Metal than Maiden, like somebody said earlier (kudos to you).
And same Problem as asael !

Nothing is more metal than Iron Maiden dude! Up the IRONS!

...having said that, this game looks totally over the freakin' top in your face METAL and heart-pumping adrenaline dumping FUN!

I only hope the shots are equally as awesome as the artwork, soundtrack, and animations!

#1947 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I contacted Titan about the blue nubs. He said he thought they were actually fabricated from a silicone sheet, so its not the same process. Sounds like a no go from him.

Just take a black marker and paint it black if it bothers that much.

#2064 5 years ago

So on the Slam Tilt podcast Timballs confirmed that BKSoR will play the original BK lit spinner sound when in “legacy” mode! So awesome!

#2077 5 years ago

It seems like Stern might be changing up their production order for BKSoR. Normally would be Pros and then LEs and then more Pros and then Prems on the line.

I think they (correctly?) are anticipating a higher than usual demand for Prems since most people equate BK with an upper pf.

This is great news for me, currently on the list for a Prem!

#2083 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Did you guys ever watch the movie? He didn't keep the Oompa LOompas as slaves, he rescued them and gave them a home.

...that's what they always say.

#2092 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Pros are still being made first. We were able to buy a pro through the MGC show deal but not premium or LE since those aren’t being made yet.

Sure but there’s at least one Premium on the line now! Normally wouldn’t be for another month or more.

#2098 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Oh really? They said only prototype premiums would be available at MGC for play.

Just going off this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/42#post-4924677

#2231 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We have an LE available if anyone missed out! Can’t wait for the stream and looking forward to unboxing soon.
#uptherage
Zach
Flip N Out Pinball

Can't dump these losers eh? I'll give you $8k CDN for it. FIRESALE!

#2395 5 years ago

Fast thoughts after watching the stream:

1. Art, animations, callouts and soundtrack are in your face metal and awesome. Music might get old / repetitive though I find it’s not usually the case if you’re actually playing vs watching. Some of the mode music was amazing.

2. Really fast and those center shots are unforgiving. I like!

3. Seems like the left flipper is for bounce passing to the right. This makes me sad.

4. LEGACY mode is the absolute best! Sound effects are amazing. Disappointed they only showed it once. I also noticed the spinner in legacy mode was the unlit BK spinner. WTF guys?! It HAS TO BE the LIT SPINNER! ...I also have no idea how you light the KNIGHT letters but nobody was doing it at all on the LE. Literally most players still only had the 2 left most letters lit on ball 3 (which are given to you when you start the game). Seems like an issue.

5. Upper playfield didn’t seem that exciting. 3 shots including the loop. Right flipper. Best part was the runway lights ramp shot through the flail.

It seems like it would be a short ball-time game and super mean, which I love, as well as the theme. But I’m going to need to play it before I pull the trigger.

#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Agreed. How is Hell Hand not one of the best animations in pinball ever? I get the PS2 comparisons but it's still an amazing animation package.

I think people have a pretty glamorized memory of what PS/2 games looked like. This is definitely PS3.

Seriously though it Looks great!

I hate modern mobile game art it all looks generic and boring.

#2481 5 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

There is the throwback mode in which you need to earn, but it is the original Black Knight not BK2000. I would love for them to put in the power song from BK2000...”You got the power, you got the might...”
Having said that, the throwback mode is really cool and you could hear the spinners and other shots reflecting the original game...

There is definitely the BK2000 theme redone in this game. Tim talked about it extensively in one of the podcasts.

#2557 5 years ago

I think the fact that players/room couldn't hear any sound from the game also had a negative impact on the stream. Hard to have fun playing pinball with no sound. You'd think a splitter cable could have been used to get the direct sound feed to the stream and also still going through the game. Even if they'd switched back to game with sound for the LE would have been a good compromise.

Something they should look into for the future.

#2593 5 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Looks awesome especially in its early stages.I agree with Av8 a simple post rubber replacement will kick the ball towards the flipper.It's gonna be a good one.

Should have a sling on that bottom feed in the upper PF ala the reactor on TNA.

1 week later
#2913 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Kiss, Iron Maiden are two of the most unsuccessful charting bands in history that made the most money. I guess at the end of the day what matters is the bank account, so that makes them successful.

Quoted from drfrightner:

Kiss is the USA version of Iron Maiden for Europe. Neither band really has mainstream hits, they created super loyal fan bases there is no doubt there.

I'm just going to leave this here for KISS...
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 12.37.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-17 at 12.37.26 PM (resized).png

#2927 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

BTW, walked up to the new Black Knight game at the MGC show this weekend and went limp. "Let's see - which straight shot should I go for?"
Played 2 games all weekend. I'm good for life.

I always prefer those "curvy" shots too!

2 weeks later
#3307 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All this bitching about quality my first NIB game was absolutely flawless
Out of the box.
Well the center standup could be a little more sensitive. Might take me 3 minutes to adjust.
DAMN YOU STERN!!!
[quoted image]

Better run out and buy a lottery ticket then!

1 week later
#3405 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I was hoping they'd release a quick patch since they messed up the skill shot in 93. Does anyone else have a problem with the left gate closing too soon during a super skillshot? Does it like 1/10 times and awards a super if you get it through the correct one of the top lanes (which is not lit).

Yes, I'm seeing the same issue re: top left gate not holding long enough to let the ball pass when attempting a super-skillshot.

I assumed it was buggy code given the pretty blatant screw up on the normal skill shot lighting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.