(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 81.
#3851 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I guess I need to see it. In my mind this makes the upper play field too easy. It is possible that I am completely wrong in my imagination of this.

I would not be concerned. I played te LE at the Rocky Mountain pinball expo and I believe,it must have had this "enhancement" as it did exactly as described here. Ball still got down to the lower playfield. Not to worry.

#3852 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

oh, give it a fucking rest already.
Your same tired shit everytime you dont agree with my opinion. WHHHHHHAAAAA, where is my Predator? Whysnow said it would come.
your schtick has gotten boring.

hahahahaha!! and if anybody calls you Frances, you'll kill 'em?

#3853 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I would not be concerned. I played te LE at the Rocky Mountain pinball expo and I believe,it must have had this "enhancement" as it did exactly as described here. Ball still got down to the lower playfield. Not to worry.

Absolutely! I am not knocking it at all...I am just curious as to how it works. I am sure they wouldn't add something that made the game super easy. I am not the best player, yet I can sometimes keep a ball up there for 45+ seconds. I just need to see if I like it or not...as everyone has noted, it is completely optional.

#3854 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

PRO 100%
Prem/LE is a dud, but on Pinside there are always lots of LE/Prem owners so you need to filter through all that.

I own neither, but the Prem was my CLEAR favorite at Golden State. I played both a number of times and did not like the Pro. Before playing, I expected it to be the reverse.

#3855 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I own neither, but the Prem was my CLEAR favorite at Golden State. I played both a number of times and did not like the Pro. Before playing, I expected it to be the reverse.

glad there are people that like both, but if I was interested in the upper pf aspect then I would get BK2K where ti was done the right way.

#3856 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

The ball can still drain. The (optional) post helps bump balls that went around the loop fly into the flipper, but you can still fumble that shot and lose the ball. The ball also needs to have some speed on it for the bump to do much. Players were already able to bump the ball into the flippers by nudging the game while the game was rolling on the rubbers in the upper playfield, the post just makes this automatic.

That seems like a good fix to me. I own a Pro but played the premium a bunch as well, and when I played on the premium I kept wasting my tilt warning on the upper playfield then after that I couldn't do much in the upper playfield for risk of tilting the game. On top of that I'd then feel more helpless in the lower playfield as well since I could no longer nudge having spent the warning. Definitely be curious to try this altered version of the game.

#3857 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

glad there are people that like both, but if I was interested in the upper pf aspect then I would get BK2K where ti was done the right way.

The point was, the preference for the Prem/LE is not limited to people that OWN the Prem/LE as you said. It's the less crappy of the two layouts, which is weird because I surely thought that it would be the crappy one because I DO NOT like the clear plastic for a playfield surface.

#3858 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The point was, the preference for the Prem/LE is not limited to people that OWN the Prem/LE as you said. It's the less crappy of the two layouts, which is weird because I surely thought that it would be the crappy one because I DO NOT like the clear plastic for a playfield surface.

It's interesting because I'm basically the polar opposite, playing a mini playfield is like playing a Zizzle grafted onto a modern Stern, I just don't like them so this was the easiest Pro over Premium choice ever for me but definitely different strokes for different folks. I know it's a cop out answer but people will have to play each on location and decide what works for them, because my preference or anyone else's means little in the grand scheme of things.

#3859 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

The one at Rocky Mountain Pinball Expo played great. It was a bit modified though with external speakers and easy rules.

#3860 4 years ago

I think BKSOR Premium is going to be a keeper at home. Kids love it. I love it. Wife not so much.

I'd like to see some more work on the Callouts. Tweak them a little more and its golden

#3861 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

The ball can still drain. The (optional) post helps bump balls that went around the loop fly into the flipper, but you can still fumble that shot and lose the ball. The ball also needs to have some speed on it for the bump to do much. Players were already able to bump the ball into the flippers by nudging the game while the game was rolling on the rubbers in the upper playfield, the post just makes this automatic.

So the new "physical game enhancement" is no different in effect than this piece of metal I once saw on WW?

WW (resized).jpgWW (resized).jpg
#3862 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

That seems like a good fix to me. I own a Pro but played the premium a bunch as well, and when I played on the premium I kept wasting my tilt warning on the upper playfield then after that I couldn't do much in the upper playfield for risk of tilting the game. On top of that I'd then feel more helpless in the lower playfield as well since I could no longer nudge having spent the warning. Definitely be curious to try this altered version of the game.

It's very important to have the tilt set properly with the premiums/le's. I kept adjusting till I was able to nudge properly up top. I've still tilted plenty of times but it's not usually from nudging up top.

#3863 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The clear playfield might not be very upscale but it gets the job done, while letting you see the ball at all times. I was a big fan of the pro. I ended up purchasing the premium and am glad I did. There is so much going on up there. It's been a long time since a new game got this much play at my house. I just put up 409 million which included a 60 million bonus. This game just keeps getting better. Pro or premium/le doesn't matter. This game is so freaking good.

#3864 4 years ago

Hey guys i installed the new launcher but it feels much weAker then the original any tips ?

B89A3C8F-8FA6-45C7-B526-A2A1A7AB1AE9 (resized).jpegB89A3C8F-8FA6-45C7-B526-A2A1A7AB1AE9 (resized).jpeg
#3865 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys i installed the new launcher but it feels much weAker then the original any tips ?[quoted image]

Switch the long springs on each shooter.

#3866 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Switch the long springs on each shooter.

I noticed this as well but it's not as much of an issue on the pro. Which springs should we change? The big orange one?

#3867 4 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

I noticed this as well but it's not as much of an issue on the pro. Which springs should we change? The big orange one?

Yah how do u take it apart ?

#3868 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

...this piece of metal I once saw on WW?

come one, what a joke (when you're a pinball player)
this is how to simply kill the WW gameplay for sure... :/

#3869 4 years ago

This thread needs more love for the last chance feature. The first time I got it and completed it was such a rush. The most fun moment I’ve had in pinball in a long time. Awesome stuff.

#3870 4 years ago

I agree, the last change feature is a fun change. We were surprised when we got it Monday night! Its almost like a participation trophy but still adds fun

Quoted from zucot:

This thread needs more love for the last chance feature. The first time I got it and completed it was such a rush. The most fun moment I’ve had in pinball in a long time. Awesome stuff.

#3871 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yah how do u take it apart ?

Anyone ? Kind of dumb they didn’t test them first before selling I guess I could just return it

#3872 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Anyone ? Kind of dumb they didn’t test them first before selling I guess I could just return it

Google "shooter rod spring". Multiple results including videos with step by step. In general, remove rubber shooter tip, pull of e-clip, swap spring, put e-clip back on, put rubber back on. Pretty straightforward.

#3873 4 years ago

Was watching Twitch stream on the premium w/new code, the upper play field scoring concerns me a little.

Mainly what stops trapping balls on left flipper and staying up top for MILL per loop zero risk up there. Flail is a good blocker, but left orbit gets to top just the same.

I think tournaments will do this on repeat. Please tell me I’m wrong cause I want the Prem/LE over Pro!

#3874 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Google "shooter rod spring". Multiple results including videos with step by step. In general, remove rubber shooter tip, pull of e-clip, swap spring, put e-clip back on, put rubber back on. Pretty straightforward.

I got the shooter and the springs were the same color and felt exactly the same. I think the added weight of the new shooter head might make the hit a little softer. Just need to do a full plunge.

#3875 4 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Was watching Twitch stream on the premium w/new code, the upper play field scoring concerns me a little.
Mainly what stops trapping balls on left flipper and staying up top for MILL per loop zero risk up there. Flail is a good blocker, but left orbit gets to top just the same.
I think tournaments will do this on repeat. Please tell me I’m wrong cause I want the Prem/LE over Pro!

Ummmmm I think that is encouraged. It's not as easy as you are making it out to be. I try this but maybe I'm just not that good. Once ball save is about to end I try to trap two balls on the left flipper and go from there. I've managed two scores over 400 million in about 75 games. Things rarely go as I plan on this game because there is so much unpredictability on this pin with the shots. You really need to be precise on your shots.

#3876 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I got the shooter and the springs were the same color and felt exactly the same. I think the added weight of the new shooter head might make the hit a little softer. Just need to do a full plunge.

Same with my new stern shooter, Full plunge won't even make it up to the top. I've been waiting to see if anybody else had the same problem. I agree with John it needs a stronger spring as it's heavier. I have discovered if you use the Magna save button that will plunge the ball for you and start a game.

#3877 4 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

i had the same analyze/feeling about how this game will be played by good players and/or in tournaments...

the prob is : there's only 1 and only 1 way to go down from the upepr PF, and that's an easy trap on the right flipper (do you remember BK2000 !?)...
than from there, it should become quickly easy to shot the left lane/ramp, this will kill the gameplay :/

and than, as nothing can be done physically, may be a solution would came from the code ?
to force players to shoot above AND under, may be a 1st simple idea : the lower LOCK target will lit the upper LOCK, and vice versa the upper LOCK target will lit the lower LOCK
for sure, some others things (including combos shoots) may works too...

#3878 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i had the same analyze/feeling about how this game will be played by good players and/or in tournaments...
the prob is : there's only 1 and only 1 way to go down from the upepr PF, and that's an easy trap on the right flipper (do you remember BK2000 !?)...
than from there, it should become quickly easy to shot the left lane/ramp, this will kill the gameplay :/
and than, as nothing can be done physically, may be a solution would came from the code ?
to force players to shoot above AND under, may be a 1st simple idea : the lower LOCK target will lit the upper LOCK, and vice versa the upper LOCK target will lit the lower LOCK
for sure, some others things (including combos shoots) may works too...

If they are able to trap on the right flipper, then the game isn't steep enough. I can not trap mine on the right flipper cause it's comes down too fast most of the time, unless multiple balls come down there and hit each other. Now shooting the shield shot on the fly is very repeatable. Also, the flail is spinning a lot to throw a wrench in the plans to keep the ball up top. You have to choose wisely with your shots cause this game is brutal when you miss or choose the wrong shot at the wrong time.

#3879 4 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Same with my new stern shooter, Full plunge won't even make it up to the top. I've been waiting to see if anybody else had the same problem. I agree with John it needs a stronger spring as it's heavier. I have discovered if you use the Magna save button that will plunge the ball for you and start a game.

Quoted from John_I:

I think your right its the weight of the head, but now I can barely make it to upper playfield and for some reason the catapult lock seems like 10x harder to make that shot. It was easier with the old shooter. I think I will return the new one.. just doesn't work right
Mo

#3880 4 years ago

Pro vs premium?

#3881 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I think your right its the weight of the head, but now I can barely make it to upper playfield and for some reason the catapult lock seems like 10x harder to make that shot. It was easier with the old shooter. I think I will return the new one.. just doesn't work right
Mo

If you can't make it to the top, don't return the awesome plunger just yet - try upgrading to a stronger shooter spring. Shooter springs are color coded to reflect their strength. Spring tensions (from weakest to strongest) are:

Blue
Green
Standard
Orange
Purple
Gray/Silver
Red

Stern already chose a spring that's 1-step stronger than standard for BKSOR. So it's probably worth $1.50 (or in this case even $4.50) to try a stronger spring before you return that gorgeous plunger.

#3882 4 years ago

No problems with the new shooter rod here.

Hopefully you installed it correctly. Those Phillips head screws are hard to remove and torque down right.

Wonder how many folks strip the phillips head screws trying to remove them?
It is much easier to do it the old way.

I wonder if they put the wrong springs on some of them to.

#3883 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Hopefully you installed it correctly. Those Phillips head screws are hard to remove and torque down right.

It's still a heck of lot easier to just swap the old shooter rod for the new shooter rod. The shooter plates are identical - why mess with it?

#3884 4 years ago

That one Phillips screw on the right near the rod. That's why

Quoted from TheRudyB:

It's still a heck of lot easier to just swap the old shooter rod for the new shooter rod. The shooter plates are identical - why mess with it?

#3885 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

It's installed properly I used original housing so I wouldn't have to tap out the powder coating from the screw holes. Stern's didn't test them before they shipped them out obviously. I have emailed Chas about the problem, they better send me a replacement spring because for $90 this is totally unacceptable.

#3886 4 years ago

90 bucks ( I guess with Shipping ) and all. Now you got me all noid and I'm going to be thinking is this the way it should feed my upper playfield or not.

#3887 4 years ago

Wish Stern made access under the upper playfield easier. Just unboxed a premium for my new location. After a few test plays a found the ball binding between the rubbers in "R" lane in "WAR". The rubber was below the notch in the post where it should be.

Wasn't about to pull the whole upper playfield just to adjust a rubber. Managed to use a skinny long screw driver to lift it into place but holy shit was that an ordeal with my big hands.

#3888 4 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Wish Stern made access under the upper playfield easier. Just unboxed a premium for my new location. After a few test plays a found the ball binding between the rubbers in "R" lane in "WAR". The rubber was below the notch in the post where it should be.
Wasn't about to pull the whole upper playfield just to adjust a rubber. Managed to use a skinny long screw driver to lift it into place but holy shit was that an ordeal with my big hands.

The hardest part is feeding one of the harnesses thru the backboard while holding the upper playfield in your other hand. Needless to say its easy, takes 10 minutes, 5 bolts. The directions for removal are
In the Topic Index link at the top of every page in this thread.

#3889 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

The hardest part is feeding one of the harnesses thru the backboard while holding the upper playfield in your other hand. Needless to say its easy, takes 10 minutes, 5 bolts. The directions for removal are
In the Topic Index link at the top of every page in this thread.

Thanks, going to have to read up so I can keep this pin looking and playing good while on location.

#3890 4 years ago

Premium built June 11th has the Interlock power switch on the coin door.

#3891 4 years ago

Didn’t I read that someone has installed a playfield protector on upper playfield? and maybe lower? Were they Stern’s protectors or third party’s? How much time to install upper protector and lower?

With any luck and a few more revisions of software I’ll be ready to buy a premium. Would really like a LE but am broke. So unless some sugar momma wants to buy me an LE, I’ll be slumming this one

#3892 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Didn’t I read that someone has installed a playfield protector on upper playfield? and maybe lower? Were they Stern’s protectors or third party’s? How much time to install upper protector and lower?
With any luck and a few more revisions of software I’ll be ready to buy a premium. Would really like a LE but am broke. So unless some sugar momma wants to buy me an LE, I’ll be slumming this one

I installed both playfield protectors (upper and lower). They are fairly easy to install however due to a dumb mistake I broke one of the posts when reinstalling the upper playfield. I documented that here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/11#post-5042538

Beyond that, I have noticed that the protector causes a rubbing between the upper playfield plastic and the protector itself which seems to produce a mark of sorts on the upper playfield. It is not a scratch, or dirt...it is a "rub mark" that can only be seen at certain angles. I imagine I could buff these out, but it is a bit annoying. I was asking if anyone else had seen upper playfield wear in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/13#post-5063381

But I have yet to get any responses.

I can't help you with the money for the LE...other than telling you the premium is the same game and you can't go wrong .

#3893 4 years ago

The the shield "punch" the ball back everytime you hit it when its not lit? I thought it used to but mine isnt punching the ball back now.

#3894 4 years ago

They should fix the autolaunch with catapult lock. Every time I lock a ball and it puts a new ball in the launcher I keep pressing the magna save button thinking I have to launch the button when it does it automatically. Maybe they should just deactivate that button for a second while the autolaunch is active for that scenario

#3895 4 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Premium built June 11th has the Interlock power switch on the coin door.

Mine was built on June 5th and it has it too.

#3896 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I installed both playfield protectors (upper and lower).

which protectors are you referring to, and where are they from? sorry, kinda new to this topic.

#3897 4 years ago

This has become my favorite pinball machine to date. I would love more in this style, the simplicity and speed, quick games but adrenalin rush up the ying yang. I enjoy deeper games aswell but this is it. Its like a Sys 11 on steriods.

#3898 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

which protectors are you referring to, and where are they from? sorry, kinda new to this topic.

This type...https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/3NyT4heS-EizmXqWxb0Idg

#3899 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This has become my favorite pinball machine to date. I would love more in this style, the simplicity and speed, quick games but adrenalin rush up the ying yang. I enjoy deeper games aswell but this is it. Its like a Sys 11 on steriods.

played for nearly two hours today and had the exact same thought! just one more game, again and again, love it

#3900 4 years ago

Played 4 games on a BK3 Premium at Recbar in Louisville, KY today along with a bunch of other games. Had a blast with BK3. Started both multiballs and started retro mode. Was really blown away. Had played it at MGC and enjoyed it, but not as much as today. Really liked the fast and retro feel of this game. I'm really thinking of getting one new or HUO. Curious if code will be deep enough to be a long term game. Remember having a great time with Aerosmith on location, but it got old quick at home. Guess I will see how you owners feel 6 months later.

20190628_171836 (resized).jpg20190628_171836 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/78?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.