(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 81.
#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The game is fast, but you can significantly slow it down by trapping up and not playing on the fly, back handing shots and avoiding the sucker shots like the Black Knight center target and the fail when it is above green or yellow.

Nah, its slower. Keep in mind I usually raise the back levelers more than most people.

#3352 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nah, its slower. Keep in mind I usually raise the back levelers more than most people.

That's how we set our games too. All the way up in the back, slammed to the ground in the front. How pinball should be set up in my opinion. DEATH TO FLAT GAMES!

#3353 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

That's how we set our games too. All the way up in the back, slammed to the ground in the front. How pinball should be set up in my opinion. DEATH TO FLAT GAMES!

You should have played the Victory at Pinfest. You could go grab a hot dog and come back before the ball came back to the flippers.

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

You should have played the Victory at Pinfest. You could go grab a hot dog and come back before the ball came back to the flippers.

Would've lost my damn mind! I struggled to enjoy 90% of the games at TPF because they were so flat. My business partner and I walked away from so many games after ball one, because of that problem. So damn floaty, and so damn LAME. *SHUDDER*

#3355 4 years ago

Anyone having issues with the ball flying off the wireform ramp near the right flipper? I find that a well hit shot will be fast enough for it to hit that bend (circled in the picture) and go flying over the flippers. Changing the pitch did not help

bk3issue (resized).pngbk3issue (resized).png
#3356 4 years ago

Anyone else getting the ball stuck behind the shield by the gate.
Ball search will put it behind the shield, but it doesn't hold the shield up long enough for it to come out.
Eventually putting another ball in play, screwing up the game.

#3357 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Ball search will put it behind the shield, but it doesn't hold the shield up long enough for it to come out.

I have not had this problem. What is your pitch of the pin?

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Anyone having issues with the ball flying off the wireform ramp near the right flipper? I find that a well hit shot will be fast enough for it to hit that bend (circled in the picture) and go flying over the flippers. Changing the pitch did not help

Haven't encountered this on our machine.

Quoted from pingod:

Definitely. Still unsure how to fix this issue. Haven't found a clear way to adjust the gate so that this doesn't happen occasionally. I noticed that in the latest code update, there was a line in the readme file that stated that their was a "fix" in the code to prevent weak shots to the shield from getting stuck. Although it still happens.

#3359 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Did you upgrade to 0.93? They listed this in the patch notes and if fixed it for me.

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

Did you upgrade to 0.93? They listed this in the patch notes and if fixed it for me.

I upgraded it to 0.93 and it still does it occasionally.

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

There is a stud through the plastic beneath the yellow circled portion of your picture. Most likely this is sticking up through the wireform and touching the ball, which causes it to jump off the ramp. I put a few washers under the return mount on the right slingshot to fix the issue.

#3362 4 years ago

From Facebook:

Steve Ritchie

Black Knight Sword of Rage Info:

While reading Pinside, I see that some people are having problems with their Pro's. Here's some fixes for you:

1) If the ball is flying off the right wire ramp near the right flipper here's what you need to do: Run the ball up and down gently on the lower section of the wire ramp. You will feel the ball hitting a screw end. Gently lift the wire ramp with your hand from underneath (it's flexible) until the ball flows down the wire ramp smoothly. If it doesn't fix the problem, lift a bit higher and harder. Once set, the wire ramp will stay put, and the ball won't touch the screw any longer.

2) If the Shield one way gate traps the ball under it, do this: With the game turned off, lift the shield with one hand and find the gate wire with the fingers of your other hand. Flex the wire gate all the way up a few times. This gate is a spring gate, with a piece of spring steel forcing the gate to close after the ball passes through to the up kicker. Flex it, and the sticking problems will go away. It will still be possible for the ball to stop under the wire, but when adjusted correctly a few flips on the right flipper lets the ball fall into the up kicker. It gets better with time and break in.

3) Black Knight Sword of Rage was designed to play at 6.5 to 7 degrees. While I realize game owners can do as they wish with their games, this game plays fast at 6.5-7 degrees. Making it steeper is absolutely cheating, because it removes the side-to-side action that makes the game interesting. I hate a float-y game as much as you guys do, ya think? It is fun to learn to react with the right nudges and flipper skills to keep the ball in play, and is part of the Black Knight's challenge. It will help improve your game play skills. Side-to-side ball action when mastered also affords some really cool ways of knocking down the drops, scoring the Ball Saver in the left drain and setting up for nice feeds to the flippers. BKSOR has made me a better player, but I am no champion.

With the Premium and LE, a steeper slope is not a good idea. Besides cheating, fewer shots will make it to the upper playfield through the Flail Lane.

All NIB pins need some small adjustments to get them to play near perfectly. If you ask any experienced owners, they will tell you the same thing. While we at Stern strive to make sure your games work well, sometimes things are missed or change in transit and handling. If you aren't a klutz and have some mechanical sensibilities, don't be afraid to make adjustments when something isn't working quite right. If mechanics aren't your thing, there are plenty of people on Pinside that can help you get it right. I'm thinking Lloyd, Levi, and if you ask me for help, I will do what I can. Just write here on my Facebook page. I don't know all games, but I know mine pretty well.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Steve

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

Yes sir, I am on the latest code.
I will try Steve's fix above.

#3364 4 years ago

One of the pros had this same problem at Pinfest. I also got a ball stuck at the flail where it endlessly got pushed up the ramp but would not make it out the front.
I noticed the game had levelers in the front legs about 1 inch high so maybe pitch was the problem. I had to tilt out lifting the game to get the ball out. I didn’t see this on the other bk games I played so that’s good

Quoted from pingod:

#3365 4 years ago
Quoted from Quint:

From Facebook:
Steve Ritchie
While reading Pinside, I see that some people are having problems with their Pro's. Here's some fixes for you:
1) If the ball is flying off the right wire ramp near the right flipper here's what you need to do: Run the ball up and down gently on the lower section of the wire ramp. You will feel the ball hitting a screw end. Gently lift the wire ramp with your hand from underneath (it's flexible) until the ball flows down the wire ramp smoothly. If it doesn't fix the problem, lift a bit higher and harder. Once set, the wire ramp will stay put, and the ball won't touch the screw any longer.
2) If the Shield one way gate traps the ball under it, do this: With the game turned off, lift the shield with one hand and find the gate wire with the fingers of your other hand. Flex the wire gate all the way up a few times. This gate is a spring gate, with a piece of spring steel forcing the gate to close after the ball passes through to the up kicker. Flex it, and the sticking problems will go away. It will still be possible for the ball to stop under the wire, but when adjusted correctly a few flips on the right flipper lets the ball fall into the up kicker. It gets better with time and break in.
3) Black Knight Sword of Rage was designed to play at 6.5 to 7 degrees. While I realize game owners can do as they wish with their games, this game plays fast at 6.5-7 degrees. Making it steeper is absolutely cheating, because it removes the side-to-side action that makes the game interesting. I hate a float-y game as much as you guys do, ya think? It is fun to learn to react with the right nudges and flipper skills to keep the ball in play, and is part of the Black Knight's challenge. It will help improve your game play skills. Side-to-side ball action when mastered also affords some really cool ways of knocking down the drops, scoring the Ball Saver in the left drain and setting up for nice feeds to the flippers. BKSOR has made me a better player, but I am no champion.
With the Premium and LE, a steeper slope is not a good idea. Besides cheating, fewer shots will make it to the upper playfield through the Flail Lane.
All NIB pins need some small adjustments to get them to play near perfectly. If you ask any experienced owners, they will tell you the same thing. While we at Stern strive to make sure your games work well, sometimes things are missed or change in transit and handling. If you aren't a klutz and have some mechanical sensibilities, don't be afraid to make adjustments when something isn't working quite right. If mechanics aren't your thing, there are plenty of people on Pinside that can help you get it right. I'm thinking Lloyd, Levi, and if you ask me for help, I will do what I can. Just write here on my Facebook page. I don't know all games, but I know mine pretty well.
Good Luck and Have Fun!
Steve

Wow, there is a talking point!

Making the game more than 7 degrees is cheating.

Interesting as lots of people raise their games thinking they are making them harder, but maybe they are making them easier as side to side action ( side drains ) is reduced

#3366 4 years ago

Am I the only one who finds the intro music absolutely excruitiating, makes me shoot the ball as fast as possible so I don't have to listen to it!! Rest of the music in the game is OK, but that has to be the worst !!

#3367 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Am I the only one who finds the intro music absolutely excruitiating, makes me shoot the ball as fast as possible so I don't have to listen to it!! Rest of the music in the game is OK, but that has to be the worst !!

Stick with the EM's theyre more your pace.

#3368 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Give your balls a tug, make sure they're still attached.

Just kidding but I really dig Brendon Small's style and know it's not for everyone. If it bothers you that much you can probably change it in pinball browser. I've never messed with it before, but if you promise to use it and keep it in your game until the next code update I'll replace the pre plunge metal gallop with "loving you" by Minnie Riperton. If I can figure ut out and all that.

#3369 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting as lots of people raise their games thinking they are making them harder, but maybe they are making them easier as side to side action ( side drains ) is reduced

I've said this so many times and people look at me like I have three heads. So nice to get some validation from The King. It not only cuts down the side-to-side, but also makes trapping up much easier. And some games just do not play right extra steep. Always cracks me up to see people complaining about airballs, bounce-outs, balls coming off ramps, etc, only to find out they have their games set-up way out of spec. I like making them fast too, and have some of mine steep, but when things do not play right, that should be one of the first things you check. If you do not set a machines up how it was designed to be set-up, you can't expect it to function properly!

#3370 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

[quoted image]

I played for about 10 minutes last night and this happened at least twice. Wtf? How did this not come up in testing?

Edit: I see Ritchie addressed this, but...this is a hard thing to get fixed on a routed game.

#3371 4 years ago

See post 3362.

Quoted from UNCgump:

I played for about 10 minutes last night and this happened at least twice. Wtf? How did this not come up in testing?

#3372 4 years ago

Not only does the steeper slope reduce the side to side movement, it makes it easier to cradle up.

#3373 4 years ago

I can see tournament players hating this game. It’s too fast for that format. In four games played, I had the ball hop off of the playfield and either over a flipper or into an out lane every single game. The gameplay itself was fun. But it’s just hyper fast.

#3374 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All this bitching about quality my first NIB game was absolutely flawless
Out of the box.
Well the center standup could be a little more sensitive. Might take me 3 minutes to adjust.
DAMN YOU STERN!!!
[quoted image]

back glass art looks very dull

#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from Quint:

I'll have to check this.... of course I didn't see this post until after leaving the house this morning so now I have to wait until tonight

I also didn't get to play my 5 games of BK3 before work this morning (nothing gets you ready for Boston rush hour traffic more than some BK3 action)

#3376 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Stick with the EM's theyre more your pace.

Because I have a large EM collection, I shouldn't have an opinion on the music in a modern game, WTF

If you notice I own both of the Williams Black Knights, the intro sound on the Stern sucks by comparison!

#3377 4 years ago

I ain't gonna argue with the king, but we always set the games up steeper. Because even though there is a little more side to side action at a lower pitch, it's negated in my eyes by being much easier to save the ball from that added sideways action when you have the extra reaction time. Trade-off is a LITTLE bit more side to side action vs a game being ALOT faster. Flatter is never harder, just different ball movement. 6.5 is too flat to be any fun in my opinion, the added ball movement described feels like float. Added pitch makes a bricked shot rocket back at you, thus making it harder to keep alive.

#3378 4 years ago

Definitely interesting, I didn't know that was the case. I just measured mine and it's at 6.0 degrees currently, fairly close to what he intended so I'll leave it like that.

#3379 4 years ago
Quoted from Quint:

From Facebook:
Steve Ritchie
Good Luck and Have Fun!
Steve

It is great that Steve takes time to help out with fixes and suggestions..

#3380 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Because I have a large EM collection, I shouldn't have an opinion on the music in a modern game, WTF
If you notice I own both of the Williams Black Knights, the intro sound on the Stern sucks by comparison!

Precisely. Your opinion is irrelevant. The intro on the 2019 sucks compared to the BK from 1980 wtf are you talking about.

#3381 4 years ago

Why does everyone think the game has to appeal to them? Some people like metal, some people like classic rock, some people like rap, some people like country, some people like folk...some people like all of them. If you don't like the music in BKSOR, that's fine, but don't shit on it for those of us who have been waiting for a new pinball machine that is for metal fans. If you don't like the soundtrack, download pinball browser and load up the game with Kenny G.

#3382 4 years ago

Friday arrival of ye olde LE!

#3383 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Precisely. Your opinion is irrelevant. The intro on the 2019 sucks compared to the BK from 1980 wtf are you talking about.

Not sure what your problem is, but you make no sense, and it's pretty disrespectful to say anyone's opinion is irrelevant

In my opinion, the music that plays at the beginning of the game and in between balls is incredibly bad and annoying, if you disagree, that's fine.

#3384 4 years ago

Ive gotten quite a few questions of a finish for the pro and premium. I think these are pretty suitable for those of you looking. A finish the same as the LE and a dark burgundy metallic

20190505_191144 (resized).jpg20190505_191144 (resized).jpg20190505_193423 (resized).jpg20190505_193423 (resized).jpg20190505_192053 (resized).jpg20190505_192053 (resized).jpg20190505_192107 (resized).jpg20190505_192107 (resized).jpg20190508_172833 (resized).jpg20190508_172833 (resized).jpg20190508_172946 (resized).jpg20190508_172946 (resized).jpg20190508_172905 (resized).jpg20190508_172905 (resized).jpg20190508_172945 (resized).jpg20190508_172945 (resized).jpg20190508_172949 (resized).jpg20190508_172949 (resized).jpg20190508_173032 (resized).jpg20190508_173032 (resized).jpg20190505_193311 (resized).jpg20190505_193311 (resized).jpg
#3385 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

If you don't like the music in BKSOR, that's fine, but don't shit on it for those of us who have been waiting for a new pinball machine that is for metal fans. ...

Unfortunately you're in the wrong place for that..... The internets
You need a thick skin to participate in any online forum

#3386 4 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

What?!?!? I need to contact my distributor. Let us knkw what # you got.

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

Mine is also supposed to arrive Friday. Can't wait!

#3388 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Ive gotten quite a few questions of a finish for the pro and premium. I think these are pretty suitable for those of you looking. A finish the same as the LE and a dark burgundy metallic
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like that black color

#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Unfortunately you're in the wrong place for that..... The internets
You need a thick skin to participate in any online forum

I have absolutely no problem taking peoples criticisms of games, but I do have a problem with people who can't seem to understand that personal preference does not equal fact. Lots of people like TAF, I think it's a boring overhyped game, but I'm not going to act like it's a universal truth that TAF is a boring overhyped game, it's just not my taste.

Regardless, I don't give a shit about anything, and it feels good to not care very much, and I just want more people to relax and stop stressing about pinball and just have fun. I know it's a pipe dream, but, be the change you want to see.

#3390 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

No it just means ur an old fart.

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I have absolutely no problem taking peoples criticisms of games, but I do have a problem with people who can't seem to understand that personal preference does not equal fact. Lots of people like TAF, I think it's a boring overhyped game, but I'm not going to act like it's a universal truth that TAF is a boring overhyped game, it's just not my taste.
Regardless, I don't give a shit about anything, and it feels good to not care very much, and I just want more people to relax and stop stressing about pinball and just have fun. I know it's a pipe dream, but, be the change you want to see.

I'm with you on TAF... It's okay, but not worth the money it brings.

#3392 4 years ago

Steve had a follow up post:

Steve Ritchie
May 8 at 5:16 PM
Black Knight Sword of Rage Info Continued:

4) If the ball in play gets stuck endlessly behind the rotating Flail (not the Shield), you need to check the optical switches at the mid-Flail Lane: There are 2 sets of optos in the Flail Lane, one at the entrance, and one set about halfway up the Flail lane. Look for 1/4" holes in both left and right Flail Lane ball guides. Lift the playfield and follow the opto wires coming out of the holes in the playfield to connectors, and see that the connections are good. Next, go into switch test in the diagnostics, and break the opto beam with your fingers. If the opto set is working, you will hear a beep and see the switch closing in a graphic LCD display. Most of the time, the problem is caused by bad or intermittent wire connections at the connectors.

When a game is new, the ball can fly all over the playfield. I don't design this into the game, but it happens with fast loops and rebounds off of closer shots. My games utilize stronger flipper power, and when they are new, they can be overwhelming, especially with good players. I ship them that way, so that later in the games' life, (parts wear + heat), and the power to flip or kick the ball becomes less over time, yet the game remains fully playable for a longer time.

We have included flipper power adjustments in the diagnostics. The flipper power can be dialed up or down. Most games settle into a sweet spot after break in. Use the adjustments if you must, but some of the excitement and adrenaline in BKSOR will be lost.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Steve

#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

so what you are saying is that you don't care but you do care?

#3394 4 years ago

My LE will be here next week

#3395 4 years ago

Does you distributor tell you an exact date or just eta?

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Usually an ETA then the shipping company will call you to bring it to the house, difference if ordering local I am sure.

#3397 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Got a note my le ships Monday which puts it to my area in 2 days tops. I call the shipper second day of transit and arrange deliver the following day. Normally Stern to me is 4 days. I'm in NC.

#3398 4 years ago

My LE ships Monday too, finally!

#3399 4 years ago

Does anyone know what the extra item is for LE owners

#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Does anyone know what the extra item is for LE owners

An extra $2000 invoice..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 300.00
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 175.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.