(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 81.
#3251 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Don’t overlook this one

i agree fun game - i was surprised at how fun it was to play

#3252 4 years ago

And so it begins... My game won't ship for a couple of weeks and I already ordered a real knocker kit. This is definitely a game that needs a real loud knocker! Also, wondering if there will be any game specific Cliffy protectors or if it will just need the shooter lane protectors. I contacted Cliffy and at this point he has nothing in the works. Might be helpful if someone sends him pics of a shooter lane to know if existing protectors will work.

#3253 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

And so it begins... My game won't ship for a couple of weeks and I already ordered a real knocker kit. This is definitely a game that needs a real loud knocker! Also, wondering if there will be any game specific Cliffy protectors or if it will just need the shooter lane protectors. I contacted Cliffy and at this point he has nothing in the works. Might be helpful if someone sends him pics of a shooter lane to know if existing protectors will work.

Isn't the real knocker only for Sam Systems?

Why needing a Cliffy for a metal ramp?

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Isn't the real knocker only for Sam Systems?
Why needing a Cliffy for a metal ramp?

Pinball Life sells knockers for Spike and Spike 2. Who said anything about ramp Cliffys? Shooter lane may be the only ones needed. Looking at the ramp, it drops the ball in front of the flipper lane switch instead of directly on it, so no Cliffy needed for the switch.

https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-spikespike-2.html

#3255 4 years ago

PBL's Spike knockers work great. Just gotta remember to re-enable them (and disable the built in "knock") after code updates.

#3256 4 years ago

Played about 15 games of black knight, and I must say that the game is fun! I love the crazy speed, especially with orbits. I also found it to be a good trap and shoot game. The music drives the game well, and Stern did a great job on the animations!

On the other hand, I found the shots to be quite limited, with most shots leading to the right flipper. I dialed in the key shots quickly, and they we already feeling a little redundant. I don't see the comparisons to IM at all, aside from maybe speed.

Awesome location game, but it would get old quickly in my collection.

#3257 4 years ago

I played a pro over the weekend. When I first laid eyes on it I was thinking that it looked very plain and not much to it and probably would be boring. After I played a game or 2 I was hooked! It's very fast and brutal, the video animations are pretty good also. It reminds me of and made me miss my No Fear. It will piss you off bricking shots off of all of the posts but feels very satisfying when you hit the shots and especially combo shots on the fly! After I played it more and thought about it the game kind of reminded me of a modern version of an 80s game with the art, playfield design, theme, etc.

I could see it getting old in a small collection but if you have a collection with variety I think it would be a great addition. I was not able to save the ball one time with the goofy positioning of the magna save button on the lockdown bar versus the button being on the cabinet below the flipper button like you would expect. All in all a pretty fun game that I look forward to playing again when I get the chance.

#3258 4 years ago

Id almost want to wire a foot petal to the magna save.

#3259 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

MT2-large[1] (resized).jpgMT2-large[1] (resized).jpg

#3260 4 years ago

SEASON 3 SDTM Episode 89: This Month In Pinball is back and the guys discuss Black Knight, Willy Wonka, and general inappropriate topics...

#3261 4 years ago

I agree the pro playfield is pretty bare. I like mods but I don’t think adding a bunch of dark knight figures is the answer since the center toy is so nice. The game needs something that compliments that toy. The game play is fun and that is what matters most.

#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I agree the pro playfield is pretty bare. I like mods but I don’t think adding a bunch of dark knight figures is the answer since the center toy is so nice. The game needs something that compliments that toy. The game play is fun and that is what matters most.

Needs a killer 3d castle in the back to cover the plastic

#3263 4 years ago

That pedal in the early 2000s was complete trash but they did something and its actually a good pedal now

#3264 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

SEASON 3 SDTM Episode 89: This Month In Pinball is back and the guys discuss Black Knight, Willy Wonka, and general inappropriate topics...

Sorry saw this on FB "I stole this from another page" and had to share

58689446_2668315079909516_1706705417997910016_n (resized).jpg58689446_2668315079909516_1706705417997910016_n (resized).jpg
#3265 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Played BKSOR for a good three hours the other night on location. Had a lot of fun. I have been anticipating that someone is going add a 2nd flipper button mod to the right side of the cabinet for the magnasave. Definitely would prefer the button to be on the right side of the cab instead of on the lockbar. Ideally in a horizontal placement like The Shadow and not a vertical placement like The Munsters. You need to be pretty quick with your left hand to activate the magna save, which takes some getting used to. Found it really risky to use my right hand to try and activate it.

#3266 4 years ago

I was not overly impressed with the look of this game when it was revealed, but held off posting until I played it. I was able to put about 10 games on the pro the other day and really enjoyed it. I think the comparison to Game of Thrones is accurate and I love GoT. Shots were very smooth, but if you missed your shot get ready to scramble. A lot of bounce in this game if the ball starts going side to side. The music was excellent and did not get overly repetitive. The Black Knight toy is used well. As others have stated the magna save is very difficult to use as the game play is so fast. I haven't seen many scores posted outside of the 400 mill + game someone posted earlier which is remarkable. Here was my best game on location:

Black Knight GC (resized).jpgBlack Knight GC (resized).jpg
#3267 4 years ago

Well this thing is a killer. By far the fastest game I've ever played. Yet once you get use to the speed it becomes very playable. Magna save regardless of where it is at least with the pitch I have mine at would be hard to hit, its lightning quick. This is not a game for someone who is in to more of the floaty stop go thing or of a light hearted nature but if ur into Metal and Speed and cool dark video games (God of War/Darksiders) its as if they tailor made it for that person. Just amazing, I've never felt this level of challenge and speed, adrenalin rush for sure, very happy with the pro. Great mulitplayer pin, music is incredible. I'm blown away. Did some lighting tweaks that make it look even better, will post shortly.

#3268 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well this thing is a killer. By far the fastest game I've ever played. Yet once you get use to the speed it becomes very playable. Magna save regardless of where it is at least with the pitch I have mine at would be hard to hit, its lightning quick. This is not a game for someone who is in to more of the floaty stop go thing or of a light hearted nature but if ur into Metal and Speed and cool dark video games (God of War/Darksiders) its as if they tailor made it for that person. Just amazing, I've never felt this level of challenge and speed, adrenalin rush for sure, very happy with the pro. Great mulitplayer pin, music is incredible. I'm blown away. Did some lighting tweaks that make it look even better, will post shortly.

I agree completely. Stern nailed it.

#3269 4 years ago

Shaker motor installed today and it is nice to have the extra engagement. I hope they add a little more shaker in the next code update.

After playing all weekend I was looking for a word to describe this pin. That word is "SINISTER!" and in a good way.

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Shaker motor installed today and it is nice to have the extra engagement. I hope they add a little more shaker in the next code update.
After playing all weekend I was looking for a word to describe this pin. That word is "SINISTER!" and in a good way.

Stern noob here, what's the options for adding a shaker? Stern only or are there aftermarket options, whats the best path forward?

#3271 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Stern noob here, what's the options for adding a shaker? Stern only or are there aftermarket options, whats the best path forward?

I always put the stern one in.

#3272 4 years ago

Hopefully you can zoom in to read it.

Call your distributor and let them know you need a shaker motor for the new spike systems and tell them what game you have for a failsafe.

Very easy to install it is plug and play for the most part. Hope this helps.

3727B695-2E6C-414C-A9CC-F9FC73599CFE (resized).jpeg3727B695-2E6C-414C-A9CC-F9FC73599CFE (resized).jpeg3B16DC0D-251E-49BF-B522-1C8B409E0F0F (resized).jpeg3B16DC0D-251E-49BF-B522-1C8B409E0F0F (resized).jpegBACF7405-D355-47B6-8A1F-2A10120D3104 (resized).jpegBACF7405-D355-47B6-8A1F-2A10120D3104 (resized).jpeg
#3273 4 years ago

The Pinballlife ones also work great, just as easy to install, and half the price.

#3274 4 years ago

I am now wondering if I am looking at the right one as both PBL and Stern shakers appear to be $99. My understanding is BKSoR is on the SPIKE 2 platform, is there a diff shaker than this (technically this only says SPIKE): https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-shaker-motor-kit-for-spike-system-games

#3275 4 years ago

Can frankmac and anyone else who has played the game with a shaker motor installed describe what different game events trigger its activation? Frankmac said he'd like to see more shaker motor activation in future code releases, so I'm wondering what/when it activates now and what/when else folks think it might be effective if it was added.

#3276 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Can frankmac and anyone else who has played the game with a shaker motor installed describe what different game events trigger its activation? Frankmac said he'd like to see more shaker motor activation in future code releases, so I'm wondering what/when it activates now and what/when else folks think it might be effective if it was added.

The Magna save is fully integrated.

The lcd images of the knights sword dropping down during ball locks is also integrated.

The flail hits I believe as well.

More shaker integration during battle.

I put it in today and only played a few games.

There will Hopefully be more interaction with Black Knight and the shaker integration in the next update . This is a great start for now and always worthwhile to go with a shaker. At least for me.

#3277 4 years ago

a code update where you can pick your music like lw3 would be awesome. would be nice just to pick sounds and not actual "music" like maybe black knight sounds or whatever and not have to have background music. i know some of you are big heavy rock fans but for those who aren't it would be a nice choice.

#3278 4 years ago

I am now wondering if I am looking at the right one as both PBL and Stern shakers appear to be $99. My understanding is BKSoR is on the SPIKE 2 platform, is there a diff shaker than this (technically this only says SPIKE): https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-shaker-motor-kit-for-spike-system-games

Nice, Stern may be responding to competition and adjusting their prices! At the same cost, may as well go with the Stern branded one (I’d assume that’s the one you want for BKSR, but probably worth emailing Stern to confirm).

#3279 4 years ago

Played Pro a lot on location yesterday. Awesome callouts in attract mode and also when adding coins. Gameplay was incredibly fast.with a lot of airballs. Games lasted only about a minute or two for most players.as all the lit shots are in deadly tight spaces with zero room for error.

And the Magna Save? Forget it. I think I saw it used properly maybe once in two days. By the time you need to use it, your hand is at least 1 second away from the Lockbar button. It just feels so unnatural.

Art theme and music are perfect.. The center of the playfield is VERY dark however and could use some spotlights/pinstadium badly. There are lights behind the flippers which help.

I'm sure we'll see airball protectors, lights and magna save side buttons from the community in short order.

Anyway, as I played the game I kept getting the feeling that this game was primarily built for pros at a tournament. Going to be awesome to see the top players compete on it.. For location play I can't imagine any casual player playing more than a game or two. Premium may extend gameplay enough to make it more appealing on location but would there be many $10-$12k machines in the wild? Dunno.

#3280 4 years ago

I think I am the only one who does not mind the Magna save on the lock down bar.

I bumpnudge slap/tap most of the time anyway.

I find it rewarding to smack the Magna button with my left hand while stressing out on the right side!!

#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I think I am the only one who does not mind the Magna save on the lock down bar.
I find it rewarding to smack the Magna button with my left hand while stressing out on the right side!!

Not the only one, I am on record as preferring it on the lockdown bar.

#3282 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

Not the only one, I am on record as preferring it on the lockdown bar.

Good to know!

I will say the magnet is strong I had it pull the ball out of the right out lane after it was about an inch down. Impressed.

#3283 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Good to know!
I will say the magnet is strong I had it pull the ball out of the right out lane after it was about an inch down. Impressed.

I found the times I was able to actually magna-save the ball, the lock down button wasn't an issue. Usually if it was back and forth sort of floating around the outlane.

If I brick a shot and it goes screaming down the right, a button on the side of the cabinet wouldn't have mattered.... it just drains too fast for any sort of reaction.

#3284 4 years ago
Quoted from soapblox:

I found the times I was able to actually magna-save the ball, the lock down button wasn't an issue. Usually if it was back and forth sort of floating around the outlane.
If I brick a shot and it goes screaming down the right, a button on the side of the cabinet wouldn't have mattered.... it just drains too fast for any sort of reaction.

My point exactly. The people preemptively thinking about modding a button on the cab would be wise to play it first to understand this fact.

#3285 4 years ago

Being on the lockdown bar it means more when it successfully magna saves.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I like it as well personally. Took a little time to get used to it, but now I successfully use it regularly.

#3287 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

My point exactly. The people preemptively thinking about modding a button on the cab would be wise to play it first to understand this fact.

I wouldn't recommend modding a cab without playing the game first. But I think most people discussing adding a side button have already played BKSR a fair bit (I know I have). And a few of us have probably even played the original BK, which gives some sense of how side button Magnasave plays.

#3288 4 years ago

Tim Sexton and Steve Ritchie put together a fantastic pin. Tim has done a great job on the code so far and with more code to come including polish and tweaks.. I think Tim and Steve have done a fantastic job. I can not wait to see what the finish code brings. Bring it Steve and Tim .

Side note: The art on this pin is not Yeti or Dirty Donny or Franchi my favorites and I am ok with that. I feel the art work on this pin fits this pin and that is great.

-MAC

#3289 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I wouldn't recommend modding a cab without playing the game first. But I think most people discussing adding a side button have already played BKSR a fair bit (I know I have). And a few of us have probably even played the original BK, which gives some sense of how side button Magnasave plays.

Knock yourselves out, ain't no skin off my back. I believe that anyone can do anything that they want to with a game that they have purchased. I was merely responding to the misconceived notion that it will improve performance. Know that the side button won't make you better at using it successfully, and therefore seems like a waste of energy to me personally. But again, enjoy your games however you'd like.

#3290 4 years ago

First Black Knight pro in Canada, went on location last night at the Trap and Gill in Calgary,AB.

IMG_4768 (resized).JPGIMG_4768 (resized).JPG
#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

First Black Knight pro in Canada, went on location last night at the Trap and Gill in Calgary,AB.[quoted image]

Man you guys are lucky to have it on location. Curious if the amount of plays was checked after yegpin?

#3292 4 years ago

BKsor kinda reminds me of TNA. Bottom portions of the playfields are brutal. TNA grid is 3 hard shots like the Knight Toy. Ball lock for Multiball just to the right for both pins. One wicked fast orbit for each game. The reactor is kinda like the upper playfield.

#3293 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

First Black Knight pro in Canada

Are you sure? There was a Pro set up at Cabin Fever in Toronto several days ago.

#3294 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Are you sure? There was a Pro set up at Cabin Fever in Toronto several days ago.

Yup, Dan the pinball man had the first one

#3295 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yup, Dan the pinball man Beeson had the first one

We had two BK set up for Yegpin starting on Friday.
This is one of them, the other one is here in Calgary as well.

#3296 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Man you guys are lucky to have it on location. Curious if the amount of plays was checked after yegpin?

774 on mine, almost 800 on the other one.

#3297 4 years ago

Finally got to play BK3(pro). I'm a huge fan so far. I went into it putting all expectations for the game as a sequel out the window, and just as a new game. What I found was that the game was...just fun. The shots are great, the Black knight toy is one of the best playfield toys in recent memory. The animations are fantastic as is the art. Retro mode is awesome with that sweet BK2K remix and SEs from BK. The soundtrack intro seems a little repetitive, but the soundtrack overall was excellent.

My biggest complaint is the magnasave...just sucks. The magnet is placed too high, it isnt strong enough, and the button placement is stupid. My BK2K and ToM can rip balls out of the top of the outlane and its super satisfying. This one cant even stop a ball that is directly on top of it if it has any speed. Once the ball is settling into a lane its FAR too late. I probably got one or two decent saves all night, and I am a practiced magnasaver with my hand hovering over it anytime its in that area. I checked the adjustments menu and didnt find anything for magnet strength which I think could potentially fix this. If I end up buying one (gotta play premium and wonka before I will know) I will IMMEDIATELY be drilling into my cabinet and adding a second magnasave button and will regret nothing.

Its my favorite modern stern at this point. Code is only going to make it better. Cant wait to try the premium.

#3298 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

... If I end up buying one (gotta play premium and wonka before I will know) I will IMMEDIATELY be drilling into my cabinet and adding a second magnasave button and will regret nothing.

tat2.jpgtat2.jpgtat3.giftat3.gif
#3299 4 years ago

I only played 15 to 20 games but half of those games had at least one ball hop over the lanes for a cheap drain. I wonder if bksor will get the extender treatment like Ghostbusters did? How are you guys finding it in a home environment?

#3300 4 years ago

A little late but whatever!

Babysitting this for a few weeks before NYCPC.

It will not fit in the door. Better unbox it.

3068B6AC-F2F2-4380-B043-B47438B02F7B (resized).jpeg3068B6AC-F2F2-4380-B043-B47438B02F7B (resized).jpeg7E0E7131-A3FE-4AA0-BE91-D4785ABC2B2E (resized).jpeg7E0E7131-A3FE-4AA0-BE91-D4785ABC2B2E (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/66?hl=blacksun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.