New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 423 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4038 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 81.
#3151 1 year ago

I'm really psyched to see a 3rd Black Knight for the nostalgia factor. I'm not sure how it compares to The Munsters. Munsters is licensed and Black Knight is not. I can still recall walking into an arcade and hearing the original Black Knight as a 12 year old. I really can't wait for this one.

#3152 1 year ago

Given the opportunities for mods, I'm surprised that I haven't read about some ideas so far. Surely, the modsters have been in their secret lairs for weeks now.

#3153 1 year ago

Finally got to play the BK Pro today, put about 20 games on it. All I have to say is I love and hate this game at the same time! Here's my take- keep in mind, this is only my opinion!

What I liked:

-Game is fast and furious! Has a open playfield that kinda gave me a similar vibe to GOT Pro, while it seemed as challenging as IM. Game keeps you on your toes and makes you think about your shots... get sloppy and you'll pay.
- Great artwork! Captures the classic vibe nicely.
- Lots of insults thrown at you.. nicely done! A few times when the game was yelling at me I was almost embarrassed lol... several times it asked where a worthy apponent was after the ball drained. LMAO.

What I didn't like:

Biggest gripe - Seems like all the shots just bring the ball right back to the flipper.. left shot shoots the ball to the ramp and to flipper, left and right orbits bring the ball back to the flippers, flailing ball shot (ramp) brings ball back to flipper, shield shot upkicks ball to ramp/flipper!! Only saving grace here is the controlled gate for the right orbit that puts the ball in the pops.

- Lots of shots, and I mean a lot of shots, lead to drains! Shots to the center and shield target led to direct drains. Also shooting just about every post in the game has a possibility of directing the ball straight to the outlanes, more than I've ever noticed in any other game. I found this to be extremely frustrating and I can't think of another game this brutal. And since most of the shots lead to the flippers, you are shooting a lot...

- The magna save button just makes ZERO sense on the lockdown bar.

- Playfield seems sparse... but hey, that's a new Stern pro I suppose?

I think the Premium would be the way to go for me if I'm in just to change things up from the constant flipper return shots. I guess time will tell.

Happy shooting, overall I think this will be a fun game!

#3154 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

Given the opportunities for mods, I'm surprised that I haven't read about some ideas so far. Surely, the modsters have been in their secret lairs for weeks now.

Id like to see a 3d castle mod

#3155 1 year ago

So the air balls were coming from the thread protruding from the plastic. It was high enough to graze the ball as it was coming down the wire form. I bent the wireform up a hair and all is good (for now).

IMG_20190425_164103 (resized).jpg
#3156 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

We are working on a few, but I ordered a premium and haven’t had access to a pro for testing. I will have access to a pro at the Allentown show so maybe will have something ready shortly thereafter.

#3157 1 year ago

Got some time on Black Knight Pro and it did nothing for me. I really wanted to like this game but it fell flat for me. I was worried about brick shots and yes there are some brick shots at first but once you learned shots, the flow got better. My problem is it just felt flat with no pizzazz. It felt shallow with just hitting the lit shots over and over-rinse and repeat. Getting different multi-balls seemed lackluster and just did not do it for me. I think part of my problem is I already own so many Sterns and some of the layouts are too similar. My GOT reminds me of Black Knight in terms of layout, but currently GOT is way more fun to play for me than BK. The magna save is a joke-no way you can take your hands off to initiate in time. I can also see the music tracks getting old really quick-would probably have to turn down eventually. I am hoping that BK will grow on me over time, I love the majority of Steve Ritchie games(I did not care for Star Wars at first-now it is one of my favorites). I now am back on the hunt to find some cool older titles. I guess it is a good thing that I do not feel the need to have the latest and greatest-because I feel some of the greatest titles are from the past.

#3158 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I love the majority of Steve Ritchie games(I did not care for Star Wars at first-now it is one of my favorites).

It probably would have been wise to wait then for a review. I mean its a simple game and its impossible to compare it to GOT as thats quite deep. After a few years with deep coded games and long play times this pin is a breath of fresh air, kinda like IM was when I first bought it. I like this better than IM. The sound is incredible and the animations are my favorite to date DMD or LCD just fantastic. I can see it getting old with time thats pinball, I don't see any pin as a keeper anymore and don't give a shit regarding lossage on resale so it doesn't matter. If ur a Metal fan this pin is a must buy, the whole game screams Metal. I hope some creative fella out there does a custom rom for even heavier tracks. Slayer during Hell Hand. Sounds right.

#3159 1 year ago

Hearing a lot about the Pro looking so "flat" with all the flat plastics and not much else. Too bad Stern made 3 shots feed to the wireform (Flail, Left VUK, Shield VUK). Seeing how there are two other potential SR trilogies with HS and FP, and how FP probably won't see a 3rd release out of that pair (if either), it would've been cool if the left VUK shot on the Pro was instead a FP2-like ramp that flanked the BK's shield and dropped the ball in the scoop or right orbit paying homage to FP2. Perhaps put an inline drop or two guarding the ramp to make it more challenging. That could've added some more visual depth to the PF without going bonkers on BoM cost. See high tech photo below.

Also, with all the Magna-save button poor location talk, I wonder who will be the first to drill out their cab and install the button in the proper place (No proper high tech photo needed).

BK3-FP3b (resized).jpg

#3160 1 year ago

I’m super excited to play a pro this evening! Gotta hand it to Stern. They really know how to get machines out to the public soon after announcement.

#3161 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Also, with all the Magna-save button poor location talk, I wonder who will be the first to drill out their cab and install the button in the proper place (No proper high tech photo needed).

If I were a buyer I would totally do this. Magnasave is a fun concept and it’s a bummer that it’s essentially unusable as configured. In 20-30 games I successfully used it once on a slow dribbler that could easily have been saved by nudging. (I really like the game otherwise, BTW. Fast and aggressive, keeps you on your toes with all the action on the lower half of the playfield).

#3162 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah...the flipside of that is also true. Some games just play better steeper.

I feel that every game plays better steeper. But I'm old school, where if you played in a tournament, all games were set up steep/fast/hard. I can't stomach flat pitched games anymore, too slow and floaty.

#3163 1 year ago

The magna save is far from "unuseable" as it is. Don't be afraid of change, it's a slightly different dynamic having on the lockdown bar, but you get used it. I would even say that I prefer it. Think of it as a challenge, rather than a fault. I successfully use it all the time.

#3164 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Hearing a lot about the Pro looking so "flat" with all the flat plastics and nothing much else. Too bad Stern made 3 shots feed to the wireform (Flail, Left VUK, Shield VUK). Seeing how there are two other potential SR trilogies with HS and FP, and how FP probably won't see a 3rd release out of that pair (if either), it would've been cool if the left VUK shot on the Pro was instead a FP2-like ramp that flanked the BK's shield and dropped the ball in the scoop or right orbit paying homage to FP2. Perhaps put an inline drop or two guarding the ramp to make it more challenging. That could've added some more visual depth to the PF without going bonkers on BoM cost. See high tech photo below.
[quoted image]

Seems like my kind of game A hybrid of AC/DC and Iron Man.

But these flat games do bug me.

Spent a fortune turning Maiden from cheap flat plastic to 3D.

Still, Stern will do whatever they can get away with until their sales take a dive.

#3165 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

We should be releasing our mod list this weekend.

#3166 1 year ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

The magna save is far from "unuseable" as it is. Don't be afraid of change, it's a slightly different dynamic having on the lockdown bar, but you get used it. I would even say that I prefer it. Think of it as a challenge, rather than a fault. I successfully use it all the time.

I wouldn't say it's 'unusable' either, but it's very hard to be able to activate it in time. The ball moves just way too fast in many cases, especially the post hits towards the outlanes. In the 10 or so games I played I wasn't fast enough once to activate it in time, yes there'll be cases when you can do that but they are few and far in between

#3167 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I wouldn't say it's 'unusable' either, but it's very hard to be able to activate it in time. The ball moves just way too fast in many cases, especially the post hits towards the outlanes. In the 10 or so games I played I wasn't fast enough once to activate it in time, yes there'll be cases when you can do that but they are few and far in between

Agree. It JUST MAKES NO SENSE where it's at too! Adding a button on the side of the cabinet would have cost them pennies. I would love to know the the thoght process on this.. I'm sure a side button was discussed, and the final decision was "no". Maybe Steve Ritchie can comment on this if someone gets a chance to ask him?

#3168 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

We should be releasing our mod list this weekend.

Will you be able to bring any to GSPF in a few weeks?

#3169 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Agree. It JUST MAKES NO SENSE where it's at too! Adding a button on the side of the cabinet would have cost them pennies. I would love to know the the thoght process on this.. I'm sure a side button was discussed, and the final decision was "no". Maybe Steve Ritchie can comment on this if someone gets a chance to ask him?

The answer propaby'd start with a "G" and ends with "a-r-y".

#3170 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

My guess is they did it like old school arcade game Defender where the hyperspace button (panic button essentially) is at the bottom center of the control panel. You get used to it and it actually becomes normal. On my live play of the game I would hit it too late at first, but then successfully used it quite a bit in later games.

#3171 1 year ago

Anything involving precise timing (drain guards) makes no sense on the lockdown bar -- whether it's an outside or center drain. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure that out.

We are still in the honeymoon phase of excitement on this release, so don't expect logic to have any value during this early stage in the release cycle. Give it a few more weeks...

-mof

#3172 1 year ago

I assume there will soon be a mod to move the magnasave button to the side of the cabinet, hopefully without cutting a hole in it.

#3173 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

My guess is they did it like old school arcade game Defender where the hyperspace button (panic button essentially) is at the bottom center of the control panel. You get used to it and it actually becomes normal. On my live play of the game I would hit it too late at first, but then successfully used it quite a bit in later games.

Naaa

They put it in the lockbar cause the parts were already done that way for the other games for a few years.
Cost reduction baby.

I will clearly look into putting it on the side when I receive my premium. Diverting it should not be an issue, but it'll have to be done with a microswitch arcade cabinet button if we don't want to make a hole.

#3174 1 year ago

Magnasave essentially unusable... this is why in my head I read most pinside posts in the voice of comic book guy from simpsons.

#3175 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I think the best option for this will be a long wire out the back and some quality 2 sided tape with a flat style button if thats possible. It would be a solid selling mod thats for sure. I actually enjoy the frantic move to hit that button on the bar. This pin is really something and thats not a honeymoon phase thing, talk about speed, jesus and the modes are so great. I'm looking forward to multiplayer action tonight, Maiden and SW's and TWD while fantastic lead to alot of waiting. The only issue I have at all is the BK's voice and the taunts themselves, they are a little too cheesy for my liking. I would have much preferred the voice of the guy in Maiden but this is a minor issue. The flow and lighting, sound is just amazing. Hell hand, thats all I have to say. My new favorite mode in pinball, well Horde, its close.

#3176 1 year ago

Finally played one today a few blocks away over at good ole Game Exchange! Super fun! Fast shots. Good overall Steve Ritchie flow. He is a genius of super fun and feel good hittin' shots. Really do wish production budgets were like the 90's so we could have more stuff scattered about in the game, but regardless, that Black Knight does a ton and is pretty impressive on his own!! I can see why some features may have been needing to be scaled back. Glad I went back to getting an LE however... a few key shots were just far too easy for me to repeatedly hit all day and the upper playfield will break that up quite nicely I do believe...

#3177 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think the best option for this will be a long wire out the back and some quality 2 sided tape with a flat style button if thats possible. It would be a solid selling mod thats for sure. I actually enjoy the frantic move to hit that button on the bar. This pin is really something and thats not a honeymoon phase thing, talk about speed, jesus and the modes are so great. I'm looking forward to multiplayer action tonight, Maiden and SW's and TWD while fantastic lead to alot of waiting. The only issue I have at all is the BK's voice and the taunts themselves, they are a little too cheesy for my liking. I would have much preferred the voice of the guy in Maiden but this is a minor issue. The flow and lighting, sound is just amazing. Hell hand, thats all I have to say. My new favorite mode in pinball, well Horde, its close.

Actually put a connector inbetween and an footpedal trough the coindoor so you won't mess with anything.

#3178 1 year ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:Actually put a connector inbetween and an footpedal trough the coindoor so you won't mess with anything.

Oh ur messing with something, the pinball stance and the pinball dance. It would be more of a hinderance to gameplay for me to disrupt that then to move my hand over for the lockdown bar button.

#3179 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Oh ur messing with something, the pinball stance and the pinball dance. It would be more of a hinderance to gameplay for me to disrupt that then to move my hand over for the lockdown bar button.

For the guys that are to weak for that of course.

#3180 1 year ago

I'm going to put a proximity sensor near the outlane and have it auto push the magnasave whenever it senses the ball close to it.

#3181 1 year ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

For the guys that are to weak for that of course.

I hope when u say weak u are reffering to those players who are without proper stance and lack the required dance? Oh Yeah.

#3182 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope when u say weak u are reffering to those players who are without proper stance and lack the required dance? Oh Yeah.

I'm referring to people wetting their pants when thy stand in front of the black knight!!;
(Listen to the last Slapsave Podcast, it's hilarious!)

#3183 1 year ago

How about a foot pedal magna save?

#3184 1 year ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Actually put a connector inbetween and an footpedal trough the coindoor so you won't mess with anything.

Oops you beat me to it

#3186 1 year ago

The magnasave is on the lockdown bar so new players see it. It's that simple. Same reason Stern is adding videos showing you how to credit up and start a game, people are ignorant when it comes to pinball. Haven't you ever hung out at a spot with games on location and had to help some hapless soul figure out how to start their game after crediting up? It's all obvious to us, but new players find pinball super confusing, and it's hard to blame them.

A button on the side would go right over their heads, and Stern decided catering to location players made the most sense.

I haven't tried it, not saying I agree with it, but that's definitely why it's there. They just shipped a game with extra side flipper buttons (Munsters) it has nothing to do with cost or using lockdown bars with holes in them already. It's a hole drilled in a cabinet and a standard lockdown bar. Stern can do it.

Do you really think if Steve Ritchie wanted his button on the side of the cab he couldn't get it? It was a conscious call.

#3187 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Magnasave essentially unusable... this is why in my head I read most pinside posts in the voice of comic book guy from simpsons.

Happy to be of service!

CBGuy (resized).png
#3188 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The magnasave is on the lockdown bar so new players see it. It's that simple. Same reason Stern is adding videos showing you how to credit up and start a game, people are ignorant when it comes to pinball. Haven't you ever hung out at a spot with games on location and had to help some hapless soul figure out how to start their game after crediting up? It's all obvious to us, but new players find pinball super confusing, and it's hard to blame them.
A button on the side would go right over their heads, and Stern decided catering to location players made the most sense.
I haven't tried it, not saying I agree with it, but that's definitely why it's there. They just shipped a game with extra side flipper buttons (Munsters) it has nothing to do with cost or using lockdown bars with holes in them already. It's a hole drilled in a cabinet and a standard lockdown bar. Stern can do it.
Do you really think if Steve Ritchie wanted his button on the side of the cab he couldn't get it? It was a conscious call.

I really think they should have put a Magna Save button on the right side on the cabinet next to the flipper button AND on the lockbar so people have their choice. I was surprised not to see the MagnaSave on both outlanes.

I own a Pharaoh and after mastering both MagnaSave's , it makes saving balls a lot easier to keep the game going. A super cool feature introduced back in the early 80's...Wish it was implemented the same way on BKSOR

#3189 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Perfectly said. Like I had said myself in a previous post. The button is FAR from unuseable, I even prefer having on the lockdown bar for the reason quoted above. You WILL get used to it, really isn't as big of a deal as you think it is once you really put some games on it. The magna save itself isn't situated to save the ball once it is fully in the outlane anyways, it only really grabs the ball as it bounces over the tops of the posts. You use it more as a precaution than to truly save a lost ball. This will not change at all with the button on the side of the cabinet.

Owning a location, I can attest to players struggling to start a game, even with a blinking start button sometimes.

#3190 1 year ago

"Save better!"

- Steve Ritchie probably

Quoted from CUJO:

I really think they should have put a Magna Save button on the right side on the cabinet next to the flipper button AND on the lockbar so people have their choice.

That would confuse people I think. Just thinking about it from the perspective of people walking up to play it.

It's a really easy mod for anyone to do, drilling a hole, running some wires, boom, you've got the dual save setup. It means drilling your cab, but do it clean and perspective buyers will probably dig it.

#3191 1 year ago

After playing a few games the button starts to feel natural, but I also play a lot of SW(Stern)so the button is already familiar. Not sure how the resale would go after drilling a hole in the side...but if it’s a keeper why not.

#3192 1 year ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

After playing a few games the button starts to feel natural, but I also play a lot of SW(Stern)so the button is already familiar. Not sure how the resale would go after drilling a hole in the side...but if it’s a keeper why not.

I own a SW so it's not like I'm biased against the lockdown button. Just don't think it works for Magnasave. But it sounds like some of you are actually getting productive use out of it, so maybe it's just a matter of adjusting your game to hit it way in advance. Or maybe I'm just getting slow. Still isn't as cool as a button on the side, but it's an easy mod so no big deal.

#3193 1 year ago

you wanna mean this ???

bttf (resized).JPG

but we already all know this is NOT working !!! looooooooooooooooooooool

#3194 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

+1 with Cujo, STERN could have put that extra button on the side too...
than, agree with you, about those who will really drill their cab, seems quite "easy" to do it...
finally, about Munsters : i really dont like the extra buttons position, its way too close to the standard ones... :/

#3195 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

you wanna mean this ???
[quoted image]
but we already all know this is NOT working !!! looooooooooooooooooooool

I Love Back to the Future. Today's neural sensor systems are not mainstream -> yet. I started looking at 'em in 2006 (Brainwaves for ALS). We need Apple, Google, Amazon or similar to push the tech into their devices. Perhaps video gaming will give it the push. I anticipate future generations contemplating what it was like to be confined to touch-screens of the past.

The current Magna Save button is likely to be fine. The game-play is quick. This game will have your blood flowing and rapid-shifting your hand from flip-to-lockbar-to flip adds to it (similar to blasting tie-fighters in the latest Star Wars). At game's end you'll walk away feeling; Whew! What a game!

#3196 1 year ago

How many of the 600 LE’s do you think Stern will sell? I am amazed they decided on 600.

#3197 1 year ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

How many of the 600 LE’s do you think Stern will sell? I am amazed they decided on 600.

400 would have seen them sell out and have some collectibility.

600 unlikely to sell out and never going to be difficult to find one.

#3198 1 year ago

Bad ass pin!

ABD7224C-C178-46C3-B773-96874DA22B9F (resized).jpeg719EA39F-9F0E-4D32-A98C-C1FFEE844D34 (resized).jpeg

A9B89113-BE3C-4909-8022-C4CEB6A7DC1B (resized).jpeg
#3199 1 year ago

I played a BKSOR Pro and a BKSOR Premium yesterday at PATZ (thanks to Trent from Tilt Amusements). I liked the Pro which I played first, but I loved the Premium which I played second. On the Premium, I was able to start the lower playfield multiball then lock a third ball in the upper playfield lock and stack both of the multiballs together, which lead to a super fun and furious 6 ball multiball. Stacking the upper and lower playfield multiballs was such a fun challenge I think I'm firmly in the Premium or LE camp when it comes to this title.

#3200 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

"Save better!"
- Steve Ritchie probably

That would confuse people I think. Just thinking about it from the perspective of people walking up to play it.
It's a really easy mod for anyone to do, drilling a hole, running some wires, boom, you've got the dual save setup. It means drilling your cab, but do it clean and perspective buyers will probably dig it.

Well they could have labeled the button on the side with a COOL MagnaSave decal as well. Anyone should be able to figure that out if they can read.

I don't even like the fact that they put two set of flipper buttons on Munsters Premium. I didn't even realize at first I had to use the other flipper buttons once the lower playfield started. Can't they just figure that out in code, like Family Guy, when it goes to the mini playfield?

I played 3-4 games on BKSOR the other day and I'm so used to hitting that top button on ST:PRO, GOTG and other Stern recent pins, I'll hit it just because it's blinking thinking I got a bonus coming.. LOL

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
There are 4038 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 81.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside