(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 81.
#2551 5 years ago

I wish they had that upper pf 100% working last night. I'm in on an LE, but fak….it looked they had more fun on the Pro than the LE. I am reconsidering my selection right now....looking forward to more streaming.....

#2552 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

because "kickback" means you have a coil to directly kickback the ball into the PF (and lets admit, its a nice feature)
ball save (which indeed is wroten on the insert) is a simple ball save...

Agreed.

Not that I'm a virtual kickback hater, but there is something to be said for a physical kickback. Auto-plunge from a ball save is way more predictable than the kickback on my High Speed, for example. Really game dependent, though.

#2553 5 years ago

What page are the pictures on...

Nevermind...key posts! Duh.

#2554 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Just so you know, this is pretty typical with a brand new pin. Playfield is like glass. Squeeky clean new coils all firing at 100%. Stiff new rubber bands all at their bounciest. It will be lightning fast for a bit. That plus nobody is good at it yet.

I get this argument, but there's no evidence of it impacting other game reveals. Look at a few of the latest that Stern/Deadflip has done. IMDN, DP, and Munsters all played pretty much the way the game plays in the wild. Those three games/streams weren't negatively impacted, and I'm sure those games were just as shiny, just as stiff, and just as "new" to the people that built them and were playing.

Granted gameplay on these four games is very different, but the reveal streams on the previous three did a pretty good job of "revealing" the games and how they play. I don't see why this game/video would be an exception.

#2555 5 years ago

Overall, it's cool. It's not a buy, but I'd like to play it, like Iron Man.

I never liked BK or BK2000, so this doesn't surprise me. For the non pinhead, this would probably be a pass. Theme matters a lot.

#2556 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I wish they had that upper pf 100% working last night. I'm in on an LE, but fak….it looked they had more fun on the Pro than the LE. I am reconsidering my selection right now....looking forward to more streaming.....

I'm kinda in the same boat... But much prefer the art work and extras included on the LE. But the Pro looked REALLY fun.

#2557 5 years ago

I think the fact that players/room couldn't hear any sound from the game also had a negative impact on the stream. Hard to have fun playing pinball with no sound. You'd think a splitter cable could have been used to get the direct sound feed to the stream and also still going through the game. Even if they'd switched back to game with sound for the LE would have been a good compromise.

Something they should look into for the future.

#2558 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Overall, it's cool. It's not a buy, but I'd like to play it, like Iron Man.
I never liked BK or BK2000, so this doesn't surprise me. For the non pinhead, this would probably be a pass. Theme matters a lot.

I'll never understand. So if this was the same pin but say, an AC/DC theme you'd buy it?
How can anyone consider a game that they may not like shooting but say f*&^ it, it's a cool THEME?

Should be just the opposite.

I can't stand IMDN music or POTC movies, but when a pin is good...it's good.

#2559 5 years ago

Does the ball ever flow freely through the ball lock on the upper playfield and act like a ramp, or is it always stopped? For instance, what happens when you hit that shot when lock is not lit?

#2560 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Scared Stiff. Originally designed physical and changed to virtual.

JM. NBA. Scared Stiff.

Where was the outrage in the 90s?!

#2561 5 years ago

My point was don't be so quick to judge. Gets old the way so many here jump to conclusions and start ripping pins apart with so little to go on, only to backpedal on their impassioned BS once more is revealed.

#2562 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'll never understand. So if this was the same pin but say, an AC/DC theme you'd buy it?
How can anyone consider a game that they may not like shooting but say f*&^ it, it's a cool THEME?

I think it should just be up to the person. Theme goes a long way for me in the home environment. I can play anything at a show or on route but in my house it's entirely different.

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

I'm kinda in the same boat... But much prefer the art work and extras included on the LE. But the Pro looked REALLY fun.

Buy an le, pull the upper playfield and sell it to a pro owner

#2564 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JM. NBA. Scared Stiff.
Where was the outrage in the 90s?!

It was quelled by the sweet sweet sound of real knockers knocking obviously

#2565 5 years ago

With all the graphics trash talk I went back and looked at a few games WOZ POTC IMLB I saw no reason to even look at DP DI AS. Skipping GOTG and SW as did not want to judge movie clips BK graphics are as good as have been put out to date

#2566 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I think the fact that players/room couldn't hear any sound from the game also had a negative impact on the stream. Hard to have fun playing pinball with no sound. You'd think a splitter cable could have been used to get the direct sound feed to the stream and also still going through the game. Even if they'd switched back to game with sound for the LE would have been a good compromise.
Something they should look into for the future.

As a streamer who uses headphone jacks for audio out all the time, I really don’t understand why they had no sound from the game in the room.
There is a setting in Spike 2 that allows both headphone jack and game speakers to play at the same time.
We just keep the main game speakers at a low enough level so as not to cause any echoing.
Works great.
I’m sure Jack and Stern know this already so there must have been a good reason.

#2567 5 years ago

Flow? Not sure yet
Brutal? YES
FAST? Hell YES.
Art? 9/10
Music? 10 but want more!

LE is clearly missing something on the upper playfield. Needs a peg to bump the ball up towards the flipper. PRO with upgrades is the way togo IMO.

#2568 5 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

It was quelled by the sweet sweet sound of real knockers knocking obviously

Monster bash - no knocker!!!

#2569 5 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

There is the throwback mode in which you need to earn, but it is the original Black Knight not BK2000. I would love for them to put in the power song from BK2000...”You got the power, you got the might...”
Having said that, the throwback mode is really cool and you could hear the spinners and other shots reflecting the original game...

The lyrics are in the game, I heard them multiple times in the stream. It's a demon-voice type of guy singing "You've got the power" (Probably Brendan Small) instead of the Choir Angels.

#2570 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:I'll never understand. So if this was the same pin but say, an AC/DC theme you'd buy it?

I dont think he meant theme alone.
Theme counts for a lot and is a large draw. It however cant trump poor gameplay. Ghostbusters is a dream theme for me. I cant stand that game. Walking Dead is a horrible theme to me but I like the way it plays (I just wouldnt buy one). Iron Maiden makes me so happy I could cry.
When a game comes along that has that sweet marriage theme and gameplay, that's what people are after.

#2571 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The lyrics are in the game, I heard them multiple times in the stream. It's a demon-voice type of guy singing "You've got the power" (Probably Brendan Small) instead of the Choir Angels.

The BK2K theme definitely plays during the Classic mode but it is a cover version. It's just drowned out a little from the Original Black Knight sounds. you can hear it in the background but it isn't very prominent.

#2572 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The BK2K theme definitely plays during the Classic mode but it is a cover version. It's just drowned out a little from the Original Black Knight sounds. you can hear it in the background but it isn't very prominent.

At 21:40 You can clearly hear the lyrics right at the start of a game:
(Link is cued up, just hit play)

#2573 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I believe that is the implication, not sure if it i HDMI, but he implied it had some type of readily available consumer cable type.

Yeah its HDMI but no audio on the HDMI

Quoted from Who-Dey:

For the people who are maybe feeling letdown a little dont forget that you can still buy a lot of great new games. Munsters is amazimg and several other games that are available as well but Jurrasic World is rumored to be coming and Elvira 3 is definitely coming, so theres still good reason to be excited about pinball.
I don't think BK sucks but i thought it would be better thats for sure. I cant wait to play one. Sometimes they are much more fun once you actually get to play the game.

Munsters bwahahahaha!

Neil.

#2574 5 years ago

I still feel that there is a lot of wasted space on this playfield due to trying to accommodate the upper playfield. Now seeing live what I suspected from the pics (that there's not a lot to do in the upper playfield); it makes the waste of space underneath it even worse, especially on the pro.

All that space inside the yellow (minus the ramp) is used for three rollover lanes and three pop bumpers. How often are those being shot for intentionally, how many points are they worth, and what do they add to the gameplay/strategy? Not a whole lot from my assessment. All the areas in green are covered in plastics because that's where the upper playfield is integrated in the premium/LE models. It severely cuts down on the possible number of shots, targets, and mechs/toys that could've been integrated.
059257F5-F104-4F10-84DF-8AFE749EC665 (resized).jpeg059257F5-F104-4F10-84DF-8AFE749EC665 (resized).jpeg

#2575 5 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

It severely cuts down on the possible number of shots, targets, and mechs/toys that could've been integrated.[quoted image]

Feature not a bug!

#2576 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Still better than Musters

pong is better than Munsters...

#2577 5 years ago

I think both versions of the game look great!

The game checks all the boxes:
As close to an original theme as Stern will ever do
Unique non cookie-cutter layout
Great original art
awesome sound and voice-overs (with more voice to come)
Probably the best lighting on a Stern game (the burning castle is sick!)
unique and interactive Black Knight toy - Really, when's the last time we saw a toy this cool from Stern.
The animations are Stern's best to date
Awesome original Heavy metal music! -i think they said there was like 14 songs?

The biggest question mark for me is the same that's on every new Stern release -- Code! It seems like the code that's there is a good start but code does make or break a game.

As for the upper playfield on the LE. I like the fact that the ball doesn't stay up there for a long time and it doesn't seem too easy to shoot. I'm sure once loops are incorporated it will get better but the lock shots look satisfying to hit. Being able to stack that multiball in is also a big advantage over the Pro.

I do think the Pro model looks good and I think I would be happy owning either version.

I like that it's not another iteration of the typical Steve Ritchie layout. It does remind me of BK2K and does seem right flipper heavy, but maybe they can incorporate the drop targets more. It does seem that the left ramp may be easier to backhand with the left flipper so you do have that!

I like the sound, but maybe they could put in an option to randomize the main game theme music after ball one to give the game more variety.

I'm excited to play it for myself!

Did they mention anything on the stream about the "Power Features" on the left of the display.-similar to Iron Maiden. It didn't look like it was programmed in yet.

#2578 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

As a streamer who uses headphone jacks for audio out all the time, I really don’t understand why they had no sound from the game in the room.
There is a setting in Spike 2 that allows both headphone jack and game speakers to play at the same time.
We just keep the main game speakers at a low enough level so as not to cause any echoing.
Works great.
I’m sure Jack and Stern know this already so there must have been a good reason.

yes, you get a lag in the audio and the mic picks it up and trashes the sound.

Neil.

#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'm really thinking Stern purposely releases games with crappy code in order to have two or more sales windows with each game. "Gotta have it" people and ops get it right out of the gate. Then when sales die down a bit, they release new code to drive sales interest again.

Latest MUN updates disproves that theory.

Game sold huge sight unseen.
Then when released/ played im sure anticipated extra sales fell right off.
Then they give a code update that added some different flashing to 2 existing lights and made a dead simple code..... easier.....and added, NOTHING.

Doubt any of that drove sales

#2580 5 years ago

I think a lot might depend on how much the knight mech adds to game play and immersion. It certainly looks awesome -- if it adds a lot of fun to the shots it could really elevate the game. Not hard to imagine when I think of how much even a well placed spinner can elevate an otherwise mundane shot.

#2581 5 years ago

Third flipper super jackpots.. Not sure how you could say pro isn't missing out big time.

#2582 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Third flipper super jackpots.. Not sure how you could say pro isn't missing out big time.

Like this, The pro isn't missing out big time. I don't like upper pf's never have and most likely never will. I do however love spinners so take away the upper PF and add a spinner? I'm buying a pro.

#2583 5 years ago

Just saw video, still interested but most likely pro model. Plan to play this weekend.

#2584 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Like this, The pro isn't missing out big time. I don't like upper pf's never have and most likely never will. I do however love spinners so take away the upper PF and add a spinner? I'm buying a pro.

Definitely! I'm probably going to buy a Pro as well.

#2585 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Theme matters on location.

It matters at home for sure, too, but I don’t mind BK theme. I just “don’t care” about it.

#2586 5 years ago

That light show!!!!! This will be a good buy for you lucky bastards! Fans of the series should be proud to own this for sure!

#2587 5 years ago

Isn't it great that Stern has models for everyone? Now stop fighting and go play some fucking pinball

#2588 5 years ago

So many opinions. Its what makes this fun. Premium for me. I like the extra gadgets and "stuff" This game looks great no matter what version you buy.

#2589 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

At 21:40 You can clearly hear the lyrics right at the start of a game:
(Link is cued up, just hit play)

He is referring to the classic mode which begins at 46:50 in the video

#2590 5 years ago

LE ordered, next month will be fun .

#2591 5 years ago

Looks awesome especially in its early stages.I agree with Av8 a simple post rubber replacement will kick the ball towards the flipper.It's gonna be a good one.

#2592 5 years ago

Starting to read all these new responses and I just can't believe people are complaining about animations/graphics.

I think this game looks extremely dull, been there done that yawn fest BUT I dig the animations, art, style, call outs. If people are putting that down, I'm not even sure where to go from here. I applaud stern for the art package but am very disappointed in the rinse repeat nature of the gameplay. Munsters and now this is a terrible example of what I hope to see from them down the road. I just hope Jurrasic World brings them back b/c they are better than this.

#2593 5 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Looks awesome especially in its early stages.I agree with Av8 a simple post rubber replacement will kick the ball towards the flipper.It's gonna be a good one.

Should have a sling on that bottom feed in the upper PF ala the reactor on TNA.

#2595 5 years ago

My first impression is that the game is a real looker; great audio package; great light package; great art package; great animations. Nicely Done Stern! I love the theme, the Black Knight Toy (Flail and Shield Mechs) and the fast and furious game play. I would, however, have to play it a little on location before I could commit to owning it as I am not convinced that it has enough interactive shot variety as compared to say Metallica (Snake, Sparky, Grave stand-ups, Scoop, Fuel Lane, captive ball). Metallica might be one of my favorite games from a game play perspective (and I was not a Metallica Fan - I actually like them a lot more now that I own the game).

Also, while I loved the original BK & BK2000 from the perspective of what they offered when they were released - I found that the game play got old quickly and know they would not last long in my home - but I love playing them from time-to-time at someone else's. Wasn't a fan of the upper playfield - too much wasted space. My initial impression is that BKSOR might fall into that category as well.

I am looking forward to seeing if playing it helps make a better more lasting game play (complete) impression. It just might - looking forward to finding out.

#2596 5 years ago

As much as yesterday I thought I loved the LE/PREMIUM, now I've reconsidered and am going with the pro. It's too bad as I was looking forward to the LE, but it just looks so clunky up on the upper playfield in the livestream. I reeeeeealllly wish more targets woulda been included in that area like many have said as I'm sure then I woulda been more up for code updates fixing that issue... However the castle theme of the Pro is actually waaaaaay more up my alley, and fits horrorhouse fest perfectly, so as much as I am sad to not having all the glamourous features of the top tier models, I know I'll be getting a really fun, fast and solid game with the pro.

#2597 5 years ago

Just watching the streams and without playing either version - I'm leaning towards a pro. Someone hurry up and burn through one so I can get the HUO price...

#2598 5 years ago

Sounds like Stern might stop streaming early as it sounds like they are going to lose alot of money with people switching to pros

#2599 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sounds like Stern might stop steaming early as it sounds like they are going to lose alot of money with people switching to pros

yeah they should of waited until everything was fully working on the LE. I'm sure once it's dialed it will be solid, but I feel it was a little early to show it in action...

#2600 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sounds like Stern might stop steaming early as it sounds like they are going to lose alot of money with people switching to pros

The idea of waiting in hopes your customers wont realize they are being sold an inferior product for more money is a terrible way to run a business. Just make a better product and stream it in a positive way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/52?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.