(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4,000 posts
  • 617 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by newpinbin
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 420 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg
20190628_171836 (resized).jpg
B89A3C8F-8FA6-45C7-B526-A2A1A7AB1AE9 (resized).jpeg
WW (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4000 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 80.
#1551 6 months ago

In Steve Ritchie's Black Knight SOR interview with Nate Shivers, he digressed a bit and mentioned various problems encountered during the making of World Poker Tour including a "gynecological hand" in the game's artwork. I'm not positive what he was referring to, but I used to own this game and until I relooked at the backglass image today, I never noticed Mike Sexton's bizarre left hand before.

WPT (resized).jpg

#1552 6 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

In Steve Ritchie's Black Knight SOR interview with Nate Shivers, he digressed a bit and mentioned various problems encountered during the making of World Poker Tour including a "gynecological hand" in the game's artwork. I'm not positive what he was referring to, but I used to own this game and until I relooked at the backglass image today, I never noticed Mike Sexton's bizarre left hand before.
[quoted image]

Just noticed there was two men on the bg. That sure is one elongated hand.

#1553 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Calling any friend of Jack Danger:
Would you please ask him when he's streaming BK3?
And would you then post his reply here?
That would be much appreciated. I just tried to ask him myself during his stream but I was ignored.
Thanks!

How many seconds did you try?

He said multiple times very, very soon and he might spill the beans later after a few drinks.

No exact date yet.

#1554 6 months ago

[quoted image]

I was looking in all the wrong spots for something “gynecological”, then I reread it and looked again and spit boubon all over my Ipad...

#1555 6 months ago

Im looking all over the wpt image and cant figure out where the gynelogical hand is..

#1556 6 months ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Im looking all over the wpt image and cant figure out where the gynelogical hand is..

Look at left guys left hand... measure from his wrist to tip of fingers... laugh.

#1557 6 months ago

The lady’s hand is really weird looking too. Very clawlike.

#1558 6 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Look at left guys left hand... measure from his wrist to tip of fingers... laugh.

I remember one of Jay Leno's "stupid headlines" segments, there was some print ad where a woman had not 2 but 3 hands.

#1559 6 months ago

It seems off to me that Stern would manufacture any version without an upper play field since the game series is well known for the two play fields. Maybe I am crazy.

#1560 6 months ago

Looks awesome to me. I'm 99.9% out on this one(just got two pins), but the art alone made me reconsider for a moment. Honestly I like it even better than Iron Maiden and Dead Pool (both of those look great too) at least from the pictures.

#1561 6 months ago

I want to see the flail in action with the heavy metal music turned up to the max!

#1562 6 months ago
Quoted from Av8:

Im back after 16 months away from pinside. My gift to Pinsiders.
https://soundcloud.com/fly-surf/new-black-knight-pinball-machine-2019
This amazing soundtrack gave me goosebumps. #Eargasim
SR is my fav designer. He will make sure this pin kicks ass like ACDC.

Deserves a key post !, well done man !

and AC/DC kicked my ass tonight, Fuck that left outlane !
may need to Trade for BKSoR
Beat the Black Knight !

F14 kicked my ass as well, I love it !!!!!!

Long Live THE King !

ac (resized).jpg

#1563 6 months ago
Quoted from RA77:

Deserves a key post !, well done man !
and ACDC kicked my ass tonight, Fuck that left outlane !
may need to Trade for BKSoR
Beat the Black Knight !

[quoted image]

AC/DC Back In Black Knight!

#1564 6 months ago

This is Sterns/Steve's updated version of MM !

Wonder if there will be any damsels in distress?

I was trying to see what is on the screen but can't make it out.

IMG_5107 (resized).jpg
#1565 6 months ago

I can’t wait to see this topper Steve had mentioned! How cool does that sound?!?! Sounds like the best topper ever!

#1566 6 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This is Sterns/Steve's updated version of MM !
Wonder if there will be any damsels in distress?
I was trying to see what is on the screen but can't make it out. [quoted image]

Looks a bit like IMDN ‘s screen format. Guess we’ll start seeing layout templates emerge as more and more Stern LCD games get released.

#1567 6 months ago

I can't wait to see the topper for this game...

#1568 6 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Looks a bit like IMDN ‘s screen format. Guess we’ll start seeing layout templates emerge as more and more Stern LCD games get released.

wtf? they just recycled the power features from iron maiden? loops, ramps, spinners, etc...

#1569 6 months ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

wtf? they just recycled the power features from iron maiden? loops, ramps, spinners, etc...

I think Tim Sexton did some work on IMDN so....guess we’ll see soon enough.

#1570 6 months ago

Granted I get triggered by this more than most, but very few pinball LCDs pass the "squint test".

I used to design signs and graphics a lifetime ago. If I was doing a billboard I'd roll my chair back, squint my eyes and look at the screen. If the layout still didn't make sense I'd adjust it.

Why do companies seem to think "We have the resolution now we can fit more text!" Especially considering their demo is approaching bifocal age.

Also sick of white text on light colored backgrounds (Star Wars) or thin strokes against busy background) Oktoberfest)

Well I know why. It's because programmers aren't artists, yet they're in charge of putting these graphics together. JJP is miles ahead of everyone else when it comes to LCD.

#1571 6 months ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Im ok with it cause it makes you utilize the entire playfield beyond modes

#1572 6 months ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Im ok with it cause it makes you utilize the entire playfield beyond modes

"Power" and "super" modes always come across as filler modes in my opinion and are a grind as they have the player hitting the same shot over and over again. It's a way to artificially inflate the number of modes in the game and avoid coding more interactive modes. Stern seems to love these types of modes and it looks like they are just transferred from game to game.

Whenever I see a bunch of "super" or "power" modes offered on a $6k-$9k pin I can't help but to cringe. They offer little value in terms of helping to justify the cost of the game and get old quick. BK3 seems to have a ton of them on the lighting wheel.

#1573 6 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

How many seconds did you try?
He said multiple times very, very soon and he might spill the beans later after a few drinks.
No exact date yet.

Stern posted a reply on their FB page the first public showing will be at MGC in a few weeks... April 12th thru the 14th.

#1574 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Whenever I see a bunch of "super" or "power" modes offered on a $6k-$9k pin I can't help but to cringe. They offer little value in terms of helping to justify the cost of the game and get old quick. BK3 seems to have a ton of them on the lighting wheel.

I agree that filler modes typically add little to the game, especially on machines like DI, but Elwin/Sexton did a great job implementing the power features on IMDN. I wouldn't call them filler modes. Power jackpots and especially Cyborg multi-ball really add scoring strategy and fun to the game. Hopefully they won't just cut-and-paste onto BK3, but do a similarly good job of implementing them into the theme and rules.

#1575 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"Power" and "super" modes always come across as filler modes in my opinion and are a grind as they have the player hitting the same shot over and over again.

Do you mean like super ramps, or power pops? Or are you saying that the mode is exactly the same as a previous mode but with higher scoring?

#1576 6 months ago

Mike Sexton's bizarre left hand before.

Good grief!!!

1. Her left hand looks wrinkled up like gramma's
2. Her right arm lost nearly a foot in length -- is it making a fist? Why?
3. Why is there a gap of light on her neck -- surely she has a full head of hair as a model of that age...

I'll stop there...

-mof

#1577 6 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I agree that filler modes typically add little to the game, especially on machines like DI, but Elwin/Sexton did a great job implementing the power features on IMDN. I wouldn't call them filler modes. Power jackpots and especially Cyborg multi-ball really add scoring strategy and fun to the game. Hopefully they won't just cut-and-paste onto BK3, but do a similarly good job of implementing them into the theme and rules.

Well, Dialed In has 11 main disaster modes that are not filler modes but rather objective based with unique animations, light shows, etc. The Bob modes are the throwaway type modes in that game but thankfully theres only a few and also custom animation work for them and a dedicated multiball mode at the end of them to reach. BK3 though only has 6 main modes and a ton of filler type modes.

#1578 6 months ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Do you mean like super ramps, or power pops? Or are you saying that the mode is exactly the same as a previous mode but with higher scoring?

Yes, power ramps, pops, orbits, etc. Those are filler modes in the sense that they are not dedicated objective based modes with unique animations, light shows, callouts, etc.

#1579 6 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

How dare you criticize DI modes when addressing Panzer!!! Don’t you realize he’s casually criticizing most modern stern games with this power mode talk? That’s what he does best with his nonchalant style.

#1580 6 months ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

How dare you criticize DI modes when addressing Panzer!!! Don’t you realize he’s casually criticizing most modern stern games with this power mode talk? That’s what he does best with his nonchalant style.

Lol and here we go with you twisting my words yet again. Theres plenty of Sterns that have a lot of dedicated progressive based modes. Batman 66, Star Trek, Star Wars and even Ghostbusters (though not as many). I would just rather have more dedicated modes then a ton of power / super modes that I feel offer little value. JJP has done them as well in some games (mainly WOZ) and I'm not a big fan of them in those games either. As long as there's a good number of main modes its not that big of deal.

#1581 6 months ago

So I have a theory regarding the large discrepancies in the girth of the “Sword of Rage” in its various depictions in the artwork.

After careful review and minutes of consideration I believe that the Sword of Rage (tm) is in actuality a metaphor for the Black Knight's "psychic member"!

Like most men, he derives his amazing confidence and power from his own mind's eye view of the enormity of his phallic being at any point in time.

Note in the following two pics the sword is roughly the same size, though it does seem to have thickened a little (not to mention electrified) in the second one.

Just a regular guy with a pretty average sized sword in his hand...

Normal girth

Starting to feel a little uppity are we?

Is the shaft a little thicker...

However, in the Premium cabinet art the Sword of Fury (tm) it has become engorged with power and the Black Knight can barely wrap his fingers around it! He must be well neigh invincible at this point!!

OMG!

This idea has vastly improved my overall view of the game - I mean who wouldn't want to power up and then wield a giant throbbing Sword of Rage against their enemies!

#1582 6 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

How about depth perception.
Anyone notice that the shield is where his elbow should be?
Maybe his lower arm was cut off with that sword and the shield was attached to his stump?
Another thing I just can't un-see
[quoted image]

Well, as shown in the pic below, the shield is mounted to his arm so I think that it's fine.

IMG_0230 (resized).jpg
#1583 6 months ago
Quoted from s1500:

CBG-like nitpick: Look at the sword the BK is holding on the backglass. I feel like it doesn't 100% line up with his left hand. Could benefit from the sword being rotated just a few degrees.

You know what we got here don't ya............. "beard cock" all over again
QSS

#1584 6 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

So I have a theory regarding the large discrepancies in the girth of the “Sword of Rage” in its various depictions in the artwork.
After careful review and minutes of consideration I believe that the Sword of Rage (tm) is in actuality a metaphor for the Black Knight's "psychic member"!
Like most men, he derives his amazing confidence and power from his own mind's eye view of the enormity of his phallic being at any point in time.
Note in the following two pics the sword is roughly the same size, though it does seem to have thickened a little (not to mention electrified) in the second one.
Just a regular guy with a pretty average sized sword in his hand...
[quoted image]
Starting to feel a little uppity are we?
[quoted image]
However, in the Premium cabinet art the Sword of Fury (tm) it has become engorged with power and the Black Knight can barely wrap his fingers around it! He must be well neigh invincible at this point!!
[quoted image]
This idea has vastly improved my overall view of the game - I mean who wouldn't want to power up and then wield a giant throbbing Sword of Fury against their enemies!

Creepy Uncle Bob, is that you?
QSS

#1585 6 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

It seems off to me that Stern would manufacture any version without an upper play field since the game series is well known for the two play fields. Maybe I am crazy.

This has already been discussed ad nauseam. The Black Knight figure is the main mech in this game, not the upper playfield. Besides, unlike the earlier Black Knight games, there's not much going on with the playfield. No pops or rows of drops....just a lock. Plus is blocks part of the castle view.

#1586 6 months ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

You know what we got here don't ya............. "beard cock" all over again
QSS

Hair dick will never be triumphed.

#1587 6 months ago

I personally like when Stern gives us a good reason to buy the premium or LE. For most titles, there is almost no difference between pro and premium and if there is, the unique features are not worth the money. In the case of BKSOF, I am definitely going premium.

#1588 6 months ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I personally like when Stern gives us a good reason to buy the premium or LE. For most titles, there is almost no difference between pro and premium and if there is, the unique features are not worth the money. In the case of BKSOF, I am definitely going premium.

I like having up/downmarket options which affect the art, polish, toys etc. But I prefer no gameplay differences between them, like JJP.

#1589 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, Dialed In has 11 main disaster modes that are not filler modes but rather objective based with unique animations, light shows, etc. The Bob modes are the throwaway type modes in that game but thankfully theres only a few and also custom animation work for them and a dedicated multiball mode at the end of them to reach. BK3 though only has 6 main modes and a ton of filler type modes.

Didn't notice your avatar - wasn't purposely taking a jab at DI. I owned and enjoyed it for a couple years and am not trying to compare the overall games - haven't even seen BK3 yet - but even with the latest rule changes didn't feel that the Bob, Drone, etc features were an integral part of the game/theme. My guess is that Sexton will hit a home run on BK3 rules given his passion and playing skills. He must have really impressed Gomez, Richie and others on IMDN to get the lead at such a young age.

#1590 6 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

He must have really impressed Gomez, Richie and others on IMDN to get the lead at such a young age.

These youngsters are just naturals at leadspeak.

:p

#1591 6 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Didn't notice your avatar - wasn't purposely taking a jab at DI. I owned and enjoyed it for a couple years and am not trying to compare the overall games - haven't even seen BK3 yet - but even with the latest rule changes didn't feel that the Bob, Drone, etc features were an integral part of the game/theme. My guess is that Sexton will hit a home run on BK3 rules given his passion and playing skills. He must have really impressed Gomez, Richie and others on IMDN to get the lead at such a young age.

Not worries at all. Looking forward to seeing how the rules are designed for BK3.

#1592 6 months ago

Has anyone else noticed the Black Knight is ambidextrous?

#1593 6 months ago

How the crap does DI and JJP keep surfacing in this Stern and Black Knight topic???

#1594 6 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I like having up/downmarket options which affect the art, polish, toys etc. But I prefer no gameplay differences between them, like JJP.

Totally agree with you on this point as it makes the choice easier to choose pro and save money. That being said, I don’t think the LE or premium tier could survive with just cosmetic differences.

Iron Maiden - Went pro
Kiss - Went pro
Metallica - Went Premium
ACDC - Went Premium

#1595 6 months ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Has anyone else noticed the Black Knight is ambidextrous?

Yes, post 1511.

#1596 6 months ago

I have always got the premium model from Stern. Just didn't see enough of a difference between LE/Premium. However, I did do the LE this time....because of the artwork and BK2K just never gets old. Unless the stream looks like a complete cluster.....I will stick with the LE....hoping this will be part of the "bolted to the floor" collection....

#1597 6 months ago

I've come full circle on which model to buy. I have a deposit on an LE. I started thinking that maybe I should just get a premium instead because I can always put the shaker in and I don't really need the high definition glass (my game room is painted black and no overhead reflections). Then I would put the Stern topper and Stern side rail upgrade and some aftermarket art blades on the premium. Problem with that plan is the more I look at the art packages, the more I like the LE. Something about the swoosh trail behind the sword and especially the blood spatter on the premium cabinet just doesn't do it for me. The LE cabinet art is more detailed and I have also warmed the the art on the backglass over the translite on the Premium.

So, for now I'm still in for an LE.

#1598 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"Power" and "super" modes always come across as filler modes in my opinion and are a grind as they have the player hitting the same shot over and over again. It's a way to artificially inflate the number of modes in the game and avoid coding more interactive modes. Stern seems to love these types of modes and it looks like they are just transferred from game to game.

more of the same panzerfreak

#1599 6 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've come full circle on which model to buy. I have a deposit on an LE. I started thinking that maybe I should just get a premium instead because I can always put the shaker in and I don't really need the high definition glass (my game room is painted black and no overhead reflections). Then I would put the Stern topper and Stern side rail upgrade and some aftermarket art blades on the premium. Problem with that plan is the more I look at the art packages, the more I like the LE. Something about the swoosh trail behind the sword and especially the blood spatter on the premium cabinet just doesn't do it for me. The LE cabinet art is more detailed and I have also warmed the the art on the backglass over the translite on the Premium.
So, for now I'm still in for an LE.

Has anyone ever changed out the cab decals on a newer Stern? Does Stern/suppliers sell the decals? Would like to see the Pro cab artwork on a Premium..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
There are 4000 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 80.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside