(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 81.
#1451 5 years ago

He has just defended your (players) sword blow, the sword has been knocked loose in his grip. You are just about to de-sword him... that is my story and I am sticking to it.

#1452 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Now I can never unsee this...
The swords Needs to stay in the picture so you'd have to rotate his hand (fingers) a bit.

It was the first thing I noticed when they revealed the artwork. At first, it didn't bother me too much, but everytime I look at it, it always catches my eye, especially as someone who likes to draw.

#1453 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

He has just defended your (players) sword blow, the sword has been knocked loose in his grip. You are just about to de-sword him... that is my story and I am sticking to it.

He just finished picking a booger with the sword and is in process of flinging it off . . . that is my story and I am sticking to it (along with the booger to the sword).

#1454 5 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

It was the first thing I noticed when they revealed the artwork. At first, it didn't bother me too much, but everytime I look at it, it always catches my eye, especially as someone who likes to draw.

I love the look of the game but anyone who is an artist or is in the field can tell you his stuff is just not that good. Kiss was worse. I get that it's stylized but there are many things in the art that is just wrong.

Again ..love the package, but comes off a little sloppy to those that know what they are looking at. Sorry!!

#1455 5 years ago

It's definitely just some acute tendonitis in his thumb.

#1456 5 years ago

The f*cker is old... got to be in his 50’s now I’d say...

#1457 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Now I can never unsee this...
The swords Needs to stay in the picture so you'd have to rotate his hand (fingers) a bit.

Just like Lily's shoulders on the Munsters LE... Every time I play my machine it pisses me off... LOL Looks like Herman smashed her head down below her shoulder blades...... uggg

#1458 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Just like Lily's shoulders on the Munsters LE... Every time I play my machine it pisses me off... LOL Looks like Herman smashed her head down below her shoulder blades...... uggg

That one is way worse than the sword for me. It's a human face and its in the wrong spot, no way to overlook that. I guess technically its the arm that is too high but its still blatant.

#1459 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I love the look of the game but anyone who is an artist or is in the field can tell you his stuff is just not that good. Kiss was worse. I get that it's stylized but there are many things in the art that is just wrong.
Again ..love the package, but comes off a little sloppy to those that know what they are looking at. Sorry!!

P
You are so right the fake lightening on the make believe sword is So unbelievable. Picasso would have Hated it! Michael Angelo told me so.

#1460 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That one is way worse than the sword for me. It's a human face and its in the wrong spot, no way to overlook that.

Stern can be lazy, didn’t they put ramp flaps over Cat Woman’s head?
5E981140-C3D3-452A-BC3C-49AE1C3480EC (resized).jpeg5E981140-C3D3-452A-BC3C-49AE1C3480EC (resized).jpeg

#1461 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Yes and no.

I'm in the art department and I see a lot of little shortcomings (it's in wide areas not as meticulously crafted as with Franchi or Zombie Yeti)...
BUT Kevin O'Connor does a better job in terms of overall composition on the playfield.

And while that means he's not cluttering images all over the playfield (wich may look bare to you nowadays), that means he can go for a cohesive style and Color Palette and he's not repeating the same assets over and over again in one game.
Like for example in Beatles Gold the floating Heads on the side of the backbox, the artblades and the playfield (5 times alltogether).

At the Moment I'd tend to a Kevin O'Connor Playfield with ZY or Franchi Art on the Cab.

Edit:
That said I love everyones work, but as I said waaay earlier in this thread I'm happy for Kevin O'Conner that he get's moved out of the "photoshop clipart" corner he had to do for so long. He's a classic designer and very adaptive if you think that he makes kinda classical paintings and airbrush as well as Comic book art (TMNT Playfield).

#1462 5 years ago

so...
in addition to the poorly positioned sword, apparently the black knight is not one to strategize or formulate his attack plans

if you look at the back glass art, he also appears to have been suckered and is now surrounded by all of his enemies given the numerous trajectories that all of those flaming arrows are flying in towards him

#1463 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just got my first spike game, and was so disappointed in the diagnostic menu ran the dots test just for fun and its the same software from the 90's it runs a dot test but only on a part of the screen. JJ you ask for switch help and it will show you the location of the switch helps out when you have switch X stuck open and don't know what they call the shot... that was so lazy in my option but still a fun game to play.

#1464 5 years ago

Quick question from an inexperienced NIB Stern Buyer.
Usually i wait to see reviews come in before i commit to a Pin.

If all goes good i would buy a premium of this game, i love the theme and would be perfect for my collection.
If i wait till the Premiums roll out and then buy will i run the risk of missing out?

is preorder the way to go with stuff like this?

i am only a few months deep in this hobby and this will be my 3rd NIB machine i think.

#1465 5 years ago

I'm guessing it would be easier to rotate the fist counter clockwise a few degrees, as rotating the sword would get in the way of the title. But hey, if the game's fun it's all good.

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Just got my first spike game, and was so disappointed in the diagnostic menu ran the dots test just for fun and its the same software from the 90's it runs a dot test but only on a part of the screen.

Yeah, that's really laughable. - I suppose the diagnostics menu is taken over from the old days and runs in emulation?
(Wich actually would be nice if the emulation could run whole old games.)

#1467 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

If all goes good i would buy a premium of this game, i love the theme and would be perfect for my collection.
If i wait till the Premiums roll out and then buy will i run the risk of missing out?
i am only a few months deep in this hobby and this will be my 3rd NIB machine i think.

Unless you want an LE I would say wait and see it, you can see if they will refund you pre-order deposit.

#1468 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

No reason to hurry... they will b made for years

#1469 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

From what I have seen, there is 0 chance of you missing out on a Premium or a Pro if you wait until the reviews are out. Maybe an LE, but not a premium or a Pro.

It is my understanding that they generally do a batch of Pros, then LEs, then the Premiums, then alternate between pros and premiums until demand dies down and they switch to something else. I would expect to be able to buy this NIB through the end of 2020 as a Premium or a Pro.

#1470 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

From what I have seen, there is 0 chance of you missing out on a Premium or a Pro if you wait until the reviews are out. Maybe an LE, but not a premium or a Pro.
It is my understanding that they generally do a batch of Pros, then LEs, then the Premiums, then alternate between pros and premiums until demand dies down and they switch to something else. I would expect to be able to buy this NIB through the end of 2020 as a Premium or a Pro.

I doubt there will be Premiums out to customer before May.

#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Do not pre-order have I yes, this was my experience Pre-ordered a Metallica code was terrible for a long time, some features did not work, by the time the game was flushed out I was so irritated i just sold it for a small loss. Pre-Ordered Ghostbusters first run had spelling mistakes, playfield issues, and mechs that got updated later in production. Pre-Ordered WOZLE waited 9 years and gave up, pre-ordered Tron VERY VERY VERY happy but limited run.

Other experiances The pre-order on AC/DC the lower playfield was hazy and they just said good luck. Pre-order Hobbit fix after fix until the trolls worked, so its exciting to pre-order your in - first to play its your experience no endless watching and reading reviews that change your opinion but you have pain associated with it. All Said I am in on a pre-order again in the future because i don't learn.... But do as I say not as I pay.

#1472 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

CBG-like nitpick: Look at the sword the BK is holding on the backglass. I feel like it doesn't 100% line up with his left hand. Could benefit from the sword being rotated just a few degrees.

I noticed this too. Currently in on a Prem but man, that will drive me bonkers. Maybe swap the Pro translite?

#1473 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Nope. And in fact if it's any good it may be re-run with unique art, and by then, finalized code. If it's not successful, you'll be able to get a lightly used one for a discount. Waiting can be win-win on pro's and prem's.

#1474 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Art is 100% subjective. Kevin O'Conner is a pinball legend. This is a not photorealistic documentary project. This art nails the look, feel, smell of an early 80s arcade. I love it. You are absolutely free to hate it, but thats not some baseline objective thing. I deal with art professionally. I damn near bought a KISS just for the art package. I could look at the Bally Flash Gordon machine all day long. Have a great Friday!!

#1475 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Should be holding sword in right hand while on horse.

Thats important.

#1476 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

but comes off a little sloppy to those that know what they are looking at. Sorry!!

Luckily those magical few that know what they are looking at make up probably 1% of pinheads. For the rest of us simpletons it looks amazing. I get what ur saying but if you get to into the minute details it would lose something in my opinion, I like the simplistic approach, it fits the theme and pinball in general.

#1477 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

P
You are so right the fake lightening on the make believe sword is So unbelievable. Picasso would have Hated it! Michael Angelo told me so.

Michael Angelo the hairstylist? Not familiar with his work.

#1478 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Michael Angelo the hairstylist? Not familiar with his work.

Yep, he’s doing hair now art isn’t paying the bills any longer. Love the Breaking Bad pic, So want someone to make that pin.

#1479 5 years ago

Im back after 16 months away from pinside. My gift to Pinsiders.

https://soundcloud.com/fly-surf/new-black-knight-pinball-machine-2019

This amazing soundtrack gave me goosebumps. #Eargasim

SR is my fav designer. He will make sure this pin kicks ass like ACDC.

#1480 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Luckily those magical few that know what they are looking at make up probably 1% of pinheads. For the rest of us simpletons it looks amazing. I get what ur saying but if you get to into the minute details it would lose something in my opinion, I like the simplistic approach, it fits the theme and pinball in general.

Dude, i said i love it. I am just responding to people saying the sword is crooked. If you are going to pick on stuff like that (which is clearly off) then I am just saying dont bother because its all off. For example, is the Black Knight on the backglass the same as the one on the playfield? The guy on the backglass is of average proportion - could be like 6-10 feet tall. The guy on the playfield is like 20 feet tall or has a head the size of a grapefruit.

BK small head (resized).jpgBK small head (resized).jpgbk normal head (resized).jpgbk normal head (resized).jpg
#1481 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Do not pre-order have I yes, this was my experience Pre-ordered a Metallica code was terrible for a long time, some features did not work, by the time the game was flushed out I was so irritated i just sold it for a small loss. Pre-Ordered Ghostbusters first run had spelling mistakes, playfield issues, and mechs that got updated later in production. Pre-Ordered WOZLE waited 9 years and gave up, pre-ordered Tron VERY VERY VERY happy but limited run.
Other experiances The pre-order on AC/DC the lower playfield was hazy and they just said good luck. Pre-order Hobbit fix after fix until the trolls worked, so its exciting to pre-order your in - first to play its your experience no endless watching and reading reviews that change your opinion but you have pain associated with it. All Said I am in on a pre-order again in the future because i don't learn.... But do as I say not as I pay.

WHAT? METLE was amazing out of the box. Lyman built a great foundation and deliver one of the best pin rules sets ever.

#1482 5 years ago

How about depth perception.

Anyone notice that the shield is where his elbow should be?

Maybe his lower arm was cut off with that sword and the shield was attached to his stump?

Another thing I just can't un-see

bk (resized).jpgbk (resized).jpg
#1483 5 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Im back after 16 months away from pinside. My gift to Pinsiders.
https://soundcloud.com/fly-surf/new-black-knight-pinball-machine-2019
This amazing soundtrack gave me goosebumps. #Eargasim
SR is my fav designer. He will make sure this pin kicks ass like ACDC.

Ok, this guy just sold 600 LE’s with this post.

#1484 5 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

WHAT? METLE was amazing out of the box. Lyman built a great foundation and deliver one of the best pin rules sets ever.

Yeah but I did not like it - I am one of a few I know but to the point of play before you buy... you just don't know what game your going to like before you play it.

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

How about depth perception.
Anyone notice that the shield is where his elbow should be?
Maybe his lower arm was cut off with that sword and the shield was attached to his stump?
Another thing I just can't un-see
[quoted image]

Kevin O'Connor isn't good with limbs in perspective. See Kiss. He also has trouble with nice silhouettes and avoiding tangents. This game would have looked better with Yeti or Donnie doing the art...but it seems like Steve doesn't like working w/ the "new" artists.

#1486 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Edit:
That said I love everyones work, but as I said waaay earlier in this thread I'm happy for Kevin O'Conner that he get's moved out of the "photoshop clipart" corner he had to do for so long.

I love the look too! I think its great. I can appreciate the fact that he cant draw but can still be a great artist. I love the Paragon backglass despite the fact the dude on the lion is a circus freak. The art packages we have been seeing lately are awesome.

#1487 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Dude, i said i love it. I am just responding to people saying the sword is crooked. If you are going to pick on stuff like that (which is clearly off) then I am just saying dont bother because its all off. For example, is the Black Knight on the backglass the same as the one on the playfield? The guy on the backglass is of average proportion - could be like 6-10 feet tall. The guy on the playfield is like 20 feet tall or has a head the size of a grapefruit.[quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe the Black Knight is like Colonel Sanders on the current KFC commercials or even Santa. He could be ubiquitous and played by more than one person, all shapes, sizes and ages. As Jagger said, "I shouted out Who killed the Kennedys? When after all It was you and me...Maybe the Black Knight represents just an evil adversary, I mean it is just a suit of flames isn't it?

#1488 5 years ago

Here. Fixed the arm/hand issues for the backglass.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1489 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

[quoted image]

That actually was my first thought when I saw the missing arm lol

#1490 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Dude, i said i love it. I am just responding to people saying the sword is crooked. If you are going to pick on stuff like that (which is clearly off) then I am just saying dont bother because its all off. For example, is the Black Knight on the backglass the same as the one on the playfield? The guy on the backglass is of average proportion - could be like 6-10 feet tall. The guy on the playfield is like 20 feet tall or has a head the size of a grapefruit.

I know thats why I put a wink after that comment just joking with ya. My only point was pinball art tends to be great and ridiculous all at the same time. I like that. No offense intended. I mean someone thought this would be a great translite and I agree, terrible and great. Thats the ticket.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#1491 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Good advice thanks guys !

i have a new Attack From mars SE coming in next week or so. its not like i am starved for something new at the moment so i can wait !

#1492 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Kevin O'Connor isn't good with limbs in perspective. See Kiss.

Apparently KISS was supposed to look crappy on purpose? Like the original or something? I dunno.

Quoted from Rarehero:

He also has trouble with nice silhouettes and avoiding tangents. This game would have looked better with Yeti or Donnie doing the art...but it seems like Steve doesn't like working w/ the "new" artists.

I'd like to go on record as saying I like the artwork since his "imperfect" style is a throwback to the era of the original games. BK2K is better but that style is never coming back so this is a fine compromise.

#1493 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Thanks for sharing your experience. based on your comments its worth it about 15% of the time haha

#1494 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

[quoted image]

LOL

#1495 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I'm guessing it would be easier to rotate the fist counter clockwise a few degrees, as rotating the sword would get in the way of the title. But hey, if the game's fun it's all good.

I'm sure these are already submitted and produced. LE's I was told today are shipping late April...

Hate to say it but what you see is probably what we are getting... Live debut is at MGC in 2 weeks.............

#1496 5 years ago

Clearly the shield attaches to The Black Knights forearm, like any good shield does.

cap (resized).jpgcap (resized).jpg
#1497 5 years ago

Unless his forearm is broken at 90+ degrees in at least two different places, there is no way its hidden behind that tiny shield. If that shield is moved back to his head, I imagine it is about the size of his face. The scale is odd.

#1498 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Unless his forearm is broken at 90+ degrees in at least two different places, there is no way its hidden behind that tiny shield. If that shield is moved back to his head, I imagine it is about the size of his face. The scale is odd.

When you get your Black Knight pin, take the glass off, and look at the Black Knight bash toy straight on/same perspective to see how the left arm looks behind the shield. On the playfield, the toy shield is roughly the same size as the BR's face. No disrespect, but that's what I aim to do when I get mine, to see what all the fuss is about...

#1499 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

[quoted image]

that was the proto machine. The final machine did not have that problem.

#1500 5 years ago

I cannot believe that I just read through 2 pages of art nitpicking.... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE can we all move on now....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
$ 16.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/30?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.