(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 81.
#951 5 years ago

Hats off to Stern. They are making pinball great again.

Black Knight matters!

#952 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

And in the Basement it belongs

Every game appeals to different people in different ways. BTW I should have said THEMED GAME ROOM ONLY not basement. Black Knight rocks that is all that matters. But dont 'kid yourself WOZ will sell just fine but to a different group similar to the person who paid 25k for Beatles. LOL

No matter I'm buying the Black Knight looks like the best game Stern has ever made.

#953 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

And in the Basement it belongs

The YBR edition?
Sounds good to me.

FA917660-755A-4EB5-9682-99D5EDE38879 (resized).jpegFA917660-755A-4EB5-9682-99D5EDE38879 (resized).jpeg
#954 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

No matter I'm buying the Black Knight looks like the best game Stern has ever made.

LOL . Like i said, put the pipe down

#955 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I thought about this and I think, while not be the thing we want them to do, it is the respectful thing to do for all vendors that bring lots of existing machines for play and sale. Like the shitload of Munsters Premiums Marco brought.

That's not the reason. Revealing a new machine at the show has no effect on vendor sales at the show: all the Sterns brought by Marco are all pre-sold well before the show starts.

#956 5 years ago

I love BK and BK2K.
Listened to the interview with Steve Ritchie, what a sweet guy he is and so humble. I really hope this game does well for him.

#957 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Take an old distortion pedal box and make a floor pedal for the magna save. That would rock right within the theme. The lockdown bar button activation is lame.

Has this been done with any game yet? I can’t believe no one has thought of this yet. This should be done with ALL games instead of using the lockdown button. Would make Star Wars etc so much better.

#958 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I love BK and BK2K.
Listened to the interview with Steve Ritchie, what a sweet guy he is and so humble. I really hope this game does well for him.

What interview was this?

Sweet or humble aren't exactly the words I feel falling out from his words and demeanour. He's a talent for sure, no doubt. But from what I've seen from interviews and pressers, not the most modest.

And he's not exactly a fledgling talent. This game will sell boatloads and bolster his legacy.

I'm anxious to play this at Helicon soon!! I wish the offcenter BK wasn't there. It's not the best visual, and there's enough imagery on the table already. I also wish the shield didn't seem so...dinky. Otherwise the three art packages look solid, energized, and fun!

#959 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Best game ever ??? definitely not best game built ! JJP has that department taken along with CGC
Make no mistake

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Best game ever ??? definitely not best game built ! JJP has that department taken along with CGC
Make no mistake

Reading is not your strong thing, is it? XD

I highly doubt JJP built Sterns best game.

#961 5 years ago

Stoked!!

blackknight2000 (resized).jpgblackknight2000 (resized).jpg
#962 5 years ago

I ordered the Le. Very happy!! One of the best designers + his favourite title he did = a stellar game!

#963 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Make no mistake

He said "best game Stern has ever made", not "best game ever."

Most of us are already a bit tired of JJP enthusiasts trying to spoil Steve Ritchie fans' party.
Give the JJP comparison bombing a break. At least for a day or two.

#964 5 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

He said "best game Stern has ever made", not "best game ever."
Most of us are already a bit tired of JJP enthusiasts trying to spoil Steve Ritchie fans' party.
Give the JJP comparison bombing a break. At least for a day or two.

I walked into this thread and am wondering the same thing too. I'd rather just fixate during the release window on what the game is, how it'll play, how it feels, etc. No need incessantly having rah rah cockoffs with every game release. At least for the first five or ten minutes anyway......

#965 5 years ago

Reading is not your strong thing, is it? XD
I highly doubt JJP built Sterns best game

Thank you so much ! I’m really new to pinball

#966 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Has this been done with any game yet? I can’t believe no one has thought of this yet. This should be done with ALL games instead of using the lockdown button. Would make Star Wars etc so much better.

I don't think so, but I'm going to do one. If it works out, I'll offer them for sale. It would be good for lots of games that have action buttons.

#967 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Looking at the playfield, would it appear that the Orange parts of the lightening wheel signifies modes and the yellow part important shot features when lit.

its a nice way to merge old character and look with new style gameplay and rules.

#968 5 years ago

If you want to know how good Steve Ritchie is, just ask his brother Mark... they are a real pair when they are near each other. Mark really likes it when people ask him to sign his brothers stuff. He thought I was going to ask him to sign my TGA:HSII coaster, but it was just sitting on top of my Fish Tales key fob in my stack of promo plastics which is what I did have him sign.

#969 5 years ago

I, for one, am absolutely thrilled to see Stern using a non-TV, non-movie, non-comic, non-band license. My favorite period of pinball has always been late solid state-to-mid 90s Bally/Williams.
Most of the themes were original and fantastic. There was so much more variety, & most games for quite a long stretch were home run after home run.

Black Knight-Sword of Rage technically isn't a new & unique theme (but it's a step in the right direction--it's not a trending pop culture license--it comes from a license within the pinball industry), but it's a sequel of a sequel to a great & innovative game that was based on an original non-licensed them.

And double whammy bonus is that it seems possible that we can hope to see more work in the future related to my favorite era of games from my favorite manufacturer. (I was giddy to hear all the distinctive Robotron/Defender sounds in Deadpool, & I wondered how Stern got permission to use the Williams sound library...I guess we see now that there were grander things afoot).

Stern, I've encouraged you folks at shows to be bold enough to make original themes instead of licensing. I hope this is a smash & that you can find that you can put into your business plan some plans to build up some creative staff who can create *brand-new* stories & characters & ideas that aren't based on pop culture.

Thank you,
-Jason

PS--I rarely post op ed pieces & chatter on Pinside. This announcement moved me to a rare non-tech, non-transaction, non-unemotional post.
PPS--I don't have time to play & study games nearly as much as I'd like, so my feedback on the images & video is all but worthless, but it sure looks hella fun...

#970 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Thank you so much ! I’m really new to pinball

No sweat. Next I'll teach you how to quote correctly and the meaning of emotes.

#971 5 years ago

All around Kevin O'Connor nailed it with the art! But damn does the Premium look great!

It looks as good as Rob Zomibie's cabinet artwork!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#972 5 years ago

black knight has to have the upper playfield, maybe this is where stern should of went back to the old days, 1 model only, a complete game...….take it or leave it.

#973 5 years ago

Damn, why couldn't RZ have been a better game?....

#974 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

black knight has to have the upper playfield, maybe this is where stern should of went back to the old days, 1 model only, a complete game...….take it or leave it.

You left out "from now on..."

#975 5 years ago

For a long time, I really wanted to own a BK2K. Now that i've been seeing and reading about this new BK pin, I want to get this one instead!

Premium has the artwork I like the most.
I typically like upper playfields, but I do prefer the extra spinner on the Pro, instead of the single drop target.

Can't wait to try each version out!

#976 5 years ago

Being his 3rd attempt it had better be good as my mate just reminded me. The other Black knights were average.

#978 5 years ago

As soon as funds and space free up, I’m in on this for a premium. So long as it doesn’t disappoint, that is. Have a feeling it’s going to be a keeper though.

#979 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Being his 3rd attempt it had better be good as my mate just reminded me. The other Black knights were average.

Undoubtedly pinball is rather subjective. Perhaps you need someone like me to remind you that Black Knight is one of the best pins of all time? (joking here of course over your wording, but it is a top game for me). Unfortunately BK2K is below average for me (love the audio, but that's about it).

One reason I purchased a Black Knight was due to my memory of "The Pinball Wizard" episode on "Are You Afraid of the Dark?". It essentially featured Black Knight in theme...or at least fantasy medieval characters in a mall setting (my 7 year old self saw it in 1992 and nostalgia for it remained). The Black Knight pin was present in the episode and the figure holding a mace near the machine comes to life as a villain. I'm going to assume I'm in them minority when it comes to this show having an influence on my pinball collecting, but Black Knight remains one of my favorite games to play solo (usually with fast-paced synthwave music playing in the background).

Premium version of BKSR is looking like something I'll want eventually, but will probably hold out for a used one considering how much less I saw IMDN premiums going for (lightly used premium IMDN showed up locally a day after I got my Pro...and for not much more over the NIB Pro cost).
dark1 (resized).jpgdark1 (resized).jpgdark2 (resized).jpgdark2 (resized).jpg

#980 5 years ago

What makes the game great though take away the theme?

#981 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

What makes the game great though take away the theme?

I liken Black Knight to Tetris in gameplay. Fairly simple, repetitive goals that increase in difficulty to reach a high score (eventually having to knock all the lower playfield drops multiple times to progress, etc.). The gameplay is addictive for me, the magna saves never get old, it's my favorite game to rip the spinner on when lit, and I never feel like I've been playing too long before draining (always seems exciting to keep the ball in play). Some games (particularly modern games with ball times that are too long without a particular set-up) have me feeling like I'd rather walk away than finish the game. GB got to the point where I set it to 1-ball play with no extra balls (my friends and girlfriend won't let me sell it :p).

I also have two regular balls and one glo-ball in my BK to spice it up a bit.

However, I'm not sure I've ever played one at a show that didn't play poorly (either a bad set-up or weak flippers). I rebuilt my flippers and such when I got my game and it plays great.

#982 5 years ago

yep

#983 5 years ago

Black Knight has always been about the theme and sound. BKSR has a better playfield than before. If the code is on Maiden level.. well.....

#984 5 years ago

BK2K is coming off my wish list and I'm ordering a Premium! Very excited about this release! Really happy to see Stern release something that isn't from a music group, movie, or tv show.

Nice to see drop targets again. (Munsters needed some). I'm really digging the lexan upper playfield. Unlike a BK2K, you're getting a lot more playfield area, now that you can play beneath the upper playfield.

I'm stoked to hear about the retro mode with the old familiar sounds. Love the Knight with his flail and shield that interact with the ball... Good stuff!!

I think I'll be installing a magna save button on the side though!

Way to go Stern!

#985 5 years ago

Thanks I'll definitely give that a listen! Was reading up on the unveil and interview with TWIP.

#986 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Sweet or humble aren't exactly the words I feel falling out from his words and demeanour. He's a talent for sure, no doubt. But from what I've seen from interviews and pressers, not the most modest.

Listen to the interview, you'll understand what I mean.

#987 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Listen to the interview, you'll understand what I mean.

I definitely will on my way into work! I'd much rather have a very positive view of him, so I'm definitely willing to give it a go. Him and his brother are way up there as far as table design, so an open ear and mind is what I'll always have regarding anyone really.

#988 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Episode 250 of Coast2Coast Pinball: http://www.coast2coastpinball.com/

Holy crap was that phone connection bad. The podcast should have been edited to take out the copious dead air and static/digital sounds. Could have shaved literally 15% or about 3 minutes off the running time and made it less annoying to listen to.

One nugget that was interesting. The top "playfield" we know is plastic, but in the podcast he says it's essentially like the plastic on the top level of WPT - not even that thick. Anyone with a WPT knows how crappy that plastic looks after not a lot of play. Counting on it to stay clear enough to provide some visibility to the area below that solid wood will not is a foolish wish as all other pins that use plastic playfield pieces have shown. Disappointing they didn't use wood.

#989 5 years ago
Quoted from swilson143:

I think I'll be installing a magna save button on the side though!

Oh Lordy Lou......whatever you do don't post that mod on Pinside, a hole drilled into in your cab ......absolute blasphemy around here

#990 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The top "playfield" we know is plastic, but in the podcast he says it's essentially like the plastic on the top level of WPT - not even that thick. Anyone with a WPT knows how crappy that plastic looks after not a lot of play. Disappointing they didn't use wood.

Hmmm...transparent wood, so hard to find.

#991 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This is fatuous. Sure the game looks like it’s going to be decent, but any BK without an upper playfield is:

1) counter intuitive
2) blasphemous
3) heretical
4) just plain absurd
5) total bullshit

YMMV...I guess.

Wrong, I don't want an upper PF, can't stand em. I think there are many who feel that way and its a great thing that the option is there. Oh and anything blasphemous can only be a positive.

#992 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Oh Lordy Lou......whatever you do don't post that mod on Pinside, a hole drilled into in your cab ......absolute blasphemy around here

Wouldn't be that hard to find a small surface mount switch type setup. I'm sure the talented modders around here can whip something up! Would be handy in all the games with lockbar button.

#993 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Did this with ACDC.. material costs less than 10$ .

#994 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Hmmm...transparent wood, so hard to find.

It exists, but probably not practical yet.

#995 5 years ago

Can hardly wait to play this new Ritchie pin, maybe his next one could be HSIII !

#996 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

That's not the reason. Revealing a new machine at the show has no effect on vendor sales at the show: all the Sterns brought by Marco are all pre-sold well before the show starts.

This is pretty short sighted. There were 17 Munsters Premium games at TPF. Of course the show games are pre-sold, but the reason why there are show games is so that OTHER people can play them and hopefully buy them. Stern subsidizes the show discount. This show was the Munsters coming out party for pinball with the cars, actors there, etc. Revealing Black Knight at the show wouldn't have been the right move and WOULD have absolutely soften interest in Munsters and take the spotlight away. MGC is the BK3 show.

#997 5 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

Can hardly wait to play this new Ritchie pin, maybe his next one could be HSIII !

I think even the sniff of HS3 depends entirely of the success of this game.

#998 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

So no $5600 option, only $7300? As long as Stern can widen their addressable market, why wouldn't they? And no you can't have your cake and eat it too with a $5600 Premium, as much as everyone, including myself, wants one...

#999 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Holy crap was that phone connection bad. The podcast should have been edited to take out the copious dead air and static/digital sounds. Could have shaved literally 15% or about 3 minutes off the running time and made it less annoying to listen to.
One nugget that was interesting. The top "playfield" we know is plastic, but in the podcast he says it's essentially like the plastic on the top level of WPT - not even that thick. Anyone with a WPT knows how crappy that plastic looks after not a lot of play. Disappointing they didn't use wood.

That's the only thing I'm worried about. Clear plastic tends to get really cloudy over time.

#1000 5 years ago

I am not a fan of playfield protectors, but I think I would cut a piece of .020" PET-G for the clear top playfield if I bought a premium. It would be somewhat easy to swap that piece out when it eventually gets dirty, as opposed to polishing or replacing the WPT-esque clear playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/20?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.