(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 81.
#851 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

My initial reaction was "outstanding" and started trying to justify an LE. I've never been an LE buyer, but own and like BK and BK2K, so this might be the one to get me there. Would love to hear if anyone else tries to justify it logically. I tried to quantify it like this...
+$100 Mirrored Backglass
+$100 Art blades
+$100 3-channel amp
+$250 HD glass
+$150 Shaker
+$250 Armor
About $950. Anyone else try this approach and come up with different numbers? Then there's intangibles like exclusivity and artwork preference.
I wish I could consider the pro, but it's not BK without upper playfield in my opinion. I wish they differentiated elsewhere. I think a better way would have been have the full RGB lighting only on premium and LE. Still give the pro an upper playfield, but keep it simple: maybe virtual lock instead of mechanical one.
As I'm analyzing the gameplay I'm starting to question some of the choices.
I really think the upper playfield orbit shot should have a spinner, which would be great to rip. Don't like that pro has 2 spinners and Prem/LE only 1.
There doesn't look like there's any flow-shot to the upper flipper. It would be great if you could chain lower shot into upper orbit path then to upper flipper and directly chain into ripping orbit shots and through a spinner. Maybe the upper transition shots are landing to the upper flipper, but doesn't look certain to me.
I think the VUK to upper playfield would be better behind the mace (or what weapon is BK holding?). As it is, both transition shots to upper playfield are more stop/go with either VUK or mace-block, although you can miss the mace. I just think it would be better if the far outer shot would be an uninterrupted flow shot to the upper playfield. The VUK seems like it would make more sense behind the mace as that's already a potential stop/go shot anyway.
Lightning wheel looks really plain and cheap to me: just some solid colors. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a Sega. That could really use some more sophisticated design or graphic.
Basically, first thought was outstanding and take-my-money but beginning to talk myself out of it or at least take a wait-and-see approach instead.
I do like there's only 600 LEs, should help keep the value better.

I did the same math on IMDN LE when I got mine. Basically by my figuring the jump from Prem to LE actually makes sense in terms of the additional features relative cost and the presumed slightly improved resale value for being the LE (assuming a popular game).

What sucks is the leap from the pro to the Premium. I couldn't make that math work at all in terms of the features but once I decided I had to have the Prem level gameplay, etc. it was easy to jump all the way to the LE, in terms of rationalization and I have zero regrets about that decision.

The biggest regret I would have if I didn't get the LE would be the lack of a real mirrored backglass. Stupid, but on a game like BK where all the previous ones had such amazing mirrored backglasses it would bother me forever.

#852 5 years ago

Wow, what an art package!

But without the upper PF, it's not a BK and so close to GOT... I don't get why Stern doesn't just crush the market by including the UPF in the pro. Add even more for the LE and Premium. No one could compete, and they'd still pull a healthy profit. I'd be in all day on that. As is, for the price of a real BK3, I'll see what Jack has up his sleeve.

Maybe a used Premium in a year or so... *sigh*

#853 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What? have u ever had their fries, those fuckin things are better than sex not too mention the Cheeseburgers. Sorry I used to have a weight problem but saying McD's isn't good. Them be fighting words. Pro for me never liked upper PFs and very happy the option is there.

The fries are very good, but you’re sleeping with the wrong chicks.

#854 5 years ago

I want one! Difficult to choose between the 3. I was going to pull the trigger on a Munsters prem or Batman66 soon. All 3 pins have so much nostalgic value to me but Black Knight wins out!

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Does the flail spinner spin in both directions? To reject the ball under some scenarios?

From SR: "He spins a bi-directional Flail..."

#856 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Best summary ever!

The Stern "Army" (just the couple known to insult people) are out in full force tonight! Insults galore.

#857 5 years ago

Premium art would be my choice. I like the blood splatter on the side.

#858 5 years ago

This is kind of a no-brainer for me. However, this would be the first Stern Spike game for me, and I am not super thrilled about that.

#859 5 years ago

The game looks awesome. I think Stern allowed Steve to go nuts because they're not paying any IP money so why not go NUTS!

This game looks so bad ass!!! Great job Stern!

#860 5 years ago

Within 72 hours of its release, Yellow Brick Road was dead.

$11,500 -Firm

#861 5 years ago

So, I think the best art package is the LE. Which is cool. And then I'd go with the Pro art package as the second best, and the Prem as the worst. To me this is a bummer, as I can't really afford all the LE's... And I don't want a pro version. But, realistically I won't buy this game anytime soon, if ever... But, I am still excited for this game. It looks amazing. And I hope a few places around me will have it, and I hope to play this at the expos I'll be going to. This game looks really cool. And if it is in fact cool... Well, it might convince me to buy it.
This game might have it all. Killer soundtrack, killer art, killer gameplay, and possibly killer animations and callouts... And that toy looks KILLER! Man, this could really be a special game.
Hope the code is good. I personally don't want a too deep or too shallow game. Just the right complexity. Cos I thought Star Wars was just too complex for my taste. Again my taste... We'll see more... Super excited.

#862 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

This is kind of a no-brainer for me. However, this would be the first Stern Spike game for me, and I am not super thrilled about that.

Why’s that?

#863 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

The game looks awesome. I think Stern allowed Steve to go nuts because they're not paying any IP money so why not go NUTS!
This game looks so bad ass!!! Great job Stern!

They did pay something.. How Much? We will never know. Game is liscened by Williams.

#864 5 years ago

I keep seeing comments about how a Black Knight game without an upper playfield doesn't seem right.

Unlike the first two games, the upper playfield isn't the main mech/feature in Sword of Rage; it's the Black Knight toy itself. So the upper playfield is secondary.

#865 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

They did pay something.. How Much? We will never know. Game is liscened by Williams.

Liscensed by Williams ...but not built to Williams standards though

#866 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Wow, what an art package!
But without the upper PF, it's not a BK and so close to GOT... I don't get why Stern doesn't just crush the market by including the UPF in the pro. Add even more for the LE and Premium. No one could compete, and they'd still pull a healthy profit. I'd be in all day on that. As is, for the price of a real BK3, I'll see what Jack has up his sleeve.
Maybe a used Premium in a year or so... *sigh*

I'm not a fan of the game but I have to agree with you about the upper playfield.
How can this game in any version not have it?

#867 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Liscensed by Williams ...but not built to Williams standards though

No, more like Fisher Price, but it’ll be fun while it lasts.

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I'm not a fan of the game but I have to agree with you about the upper playfield.
How can this game in any version not have it?

Because the Black Knight toy is the main feature.

Simple.

#869 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The biggest regret I would have if I didn't get the LE would be the lack of a real mirrored backglass. Stupid, but on a game like BK where all the previous ones had such amazing mirrored backglasses it would bother me forever.

Yeah, and I agree, and starting to think I'm undervaluing that one and maybe also the armor: perhaps the gold flake looks sharper in person than in pics. Bumping value up to $1100 now. I might yet debate myself into an LE...

#870 5 years ago

LE ordered , might be his last pin.

#871 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Stern Army is out in full force tonight! Insults galore.

No you're just such a jjp shill it feels that way. It's a Stern release thread. Crawl back to your jjp pirates circle jerk safe space and let us celebrate this release.

#872 5 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I agree on the GoT comparison. Plus, finally some decent art from Richie. This game looks a lot better.

Sword of Thrones!!

#873 5 years ago

I have owned a Stern SAM FGY for 10 years. Minimal maintenance with a fair amount of play. No experience with SPIKE, but there is a lot of node board anxiety floating around here to make me only a cautious believer in the board set. But you got to buy one to know, so this may be me jumping into the new Stern pool with a life preserver that has a hole in it.

#874 5 years ago

LOL! Downvotes!

Some people have trouble grasping what is obvious. The Black Knight toy is the main mech. Period.

Downvotes won't change that fact.

#875 5 years ago

Good to see that Stern did not skimp on the mirrored backglass for the limited edition version. Artwork and game design looks solid. Retro techno music track. Durability on a couple of areas (upper playfield, premium/LE) could be interesting regarding maintenance. It is not Black Knight without an upper playfield and a third flipper. Looks like virtual locks for the Pro version, and speed runs for the playfield. Unfortunate about the position of the magna save button. I have no problem going out on location and playing a few games locally here when the Premiums/LEs hit the street. I will let operators take all the concern regarding the SPIKE Generation II system and potential build quality.

A theme to introduce the latest generation to pinball that have not had the chance to play both former titles.
The good news is all those BK2Ks left in the world went up in value again.

1cb9eaecfdbbdc8e35c08429b4b11db5bd59bd63 (resized).jpg1cb9eaecfdbbdc8e35c08429b4b11db5bd59bd63 (resized).jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#876 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

No you're just such a jjp shill it feels that way. It's a Stern release thread. Crawl back to your jjp pirates circle jerk safe space and let us celebrate this release.

I've been enjoying the release as well and like what I'm seeing, have said that multiple times. I said what I like about Dialed In in a response to several negative comments about the game and get insulted, wtf. I wasn't insulting with what I said unlike some of the people here. Why are you being so belittling and insulting?

Yes, it's a Stern release thread...not an owners thread so expect to see some criticism about the game and comparisons with other games. That's normal.

Calling the JJP Pirates owners thread a circle jerk? There's no place for comments like that on Pinside.

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

In all fairness, the slams came out of nowhere by people like you (I believe it was Ben actually). Sorry that it doesn't fit your narrative.

#878 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It is not Black Knight without an upper playfield and a third flipper.
[quoted image]

Steve designed it that way, so apparently it is.

Unless, of course, you think you know better than the King himself.

#879 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It is not Black Knight without an upper playfield and a third flipper.
[quoted image]

Straight from The Black Knight's mouth. Every argument that states otherwise is now invalid.

#880 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I have owned a Stern SAM FGY for 10 years. Minimal maintenance with a fair amount of play. No experience with SPIKE, but there is a lot of node board anxiety floating around here to make me only a cautious believer in the board set. But you got to buy one to know, so this may be me jumping into the new Stern pool with a life preserver that has a hole in it.

Hmm interesting. Good to know. I do have a spike game (GotG). Haven’t had it long.

#881 5 years ago

Anyone seen the way the ball lock mech works on the upper?? Looks like the far right ramp
collects the balls..thanks..

#882 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I keep seeing comments about how a Black Knight game without an upper playfield doesn't seem right.
Unlike the first two games, the upper playfield isn't the main mech/feature in Sword of Rage; it's the Black Knight toy itself. So the upper playfield is secondary.

...and if you think about the first two games, since the upper playfield is wood, the space beneath it doesn't benefit the player at all. They were cool, but it was still kinda like playing a single playfield game with layers. So, it's not like the Pro has half a playfield...it's still a full playfield game. The clear upper playfield actually is something new and exciting for a BK game - cuz you get a whole lower functional PF AND an upper to play on.

I think the Pro will be really cool...for me, the Knight is the main toy/feature and that's still there - and all the awesome music will still be there to pump you up as you play.

I really want to play both...I'm not going to judge one over the other until I can experience them both and make up my own mind.

#883 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and if you think about the first two games, since the upper playfield is wood, the space beneath it doesn't benefit the player at all. They were cool, but it was still kinda like playing a single playfield game with layers. So, it's not like the Pro has half a playfield...it's still a full playfield game. The clear upper playfield actually is something new and exciting for a BK game - cuz you get a whole lower functional PF AND an upper to play on.
I think the Pro will be really cool...for me, the Knight is the main toy/feature and that's still there - and all the awesome music will still be there to pump you up as you play.
I really want to play both...I'm not going to judge one over the other until I can experience them both and make up my own mind.

Yeah, agree. The clear upper playfield on the premium / LE makes the game feel more open and less closed off based on the pics. It's nice that you can still see the pops and top lanes on the premium / LE. With a large upper playfield made out of wood those areas couldn't exist.

#884 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well said.

I also haven't seen anyone talking about how the Pro has all RGB lighting in the playfield inserts. That's a first for a Pro.

LEDs started as an LE feature, and worked their way down to being standard on a Pro. This could mark the beginning of that happening for RGB LEDs on all Pros.

#885 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

No, more like Fisher Price, but it’ll be fun while it lasts.

Did you mean because they are both leaders in their respective markets and both bring joy to thousands?
Also, Fisher price builds quality shit.

#886 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Did you mean because they are both leaders in their respective markets and both bring joy to thousands?
Also, Fisher price builds quality shit.

Yeah, that’s what I mean .

#887 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Well said.
I also haven't seen anyone talking about how the Pro has all RGB lighting in the playfield inserts. That's a first for a Pro.
LEDs started as an LE feature, and worked their way down to being standard on a Pro. This could mark the beginning of that happening for RGB LEDs on all Pros.

Actually i don't think all inserts are rgb..i believe 24 on pro and 26 on the premium/le? Still alot of rgb inserts compared to most stern pins.

#888 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually i don't think all inserts are rgb..i believe 24 on pro and 26 on the premium/le? Still alot of rgb inserts compared to most stern pins.

Well, 24 out of 26 sounds like a great number to me.

Most Pros have 6-8 RGB inserts based on the main shots. 24 is a massive upgrade.

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

LE ordered , might be his last pin.

He said on the podcast he wasn’t retiring.

#890 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Well, 24 out of 26 sounds like a great number to me.
Most Pros have 6-8 RGB inserts based on the main shots. 24 is a massive upgrade.

Agreed ...12 are just on the wheel which is why there are so many more this time around...

#891 5 years ago

Yep not richie's last pin...

#892 5 years ago

Topper sounds awesome, but should be standard on the LE model: it should be the full package like CGC does.

I don't even want to speculate on what they'll ask for that. What's been the most expensive topper so far?

#893 5 years ago

18 pages of hype and questions in 2 days, this game better be good or else Stern will REALLY be in hot water. Wish I could afford it.

#894 5 years ago

How come there's no flat overhead image of the premium playfield?

#895 5 years ago

I say to my wife, I wanna show you something cool.

*Wife* Something you think is cool that you want me to see? Or something you think I'll think is cool?

*me* Plays teaser

*Wife* Let's get that!

#896 5 years ago

Checkout TWIP above link

#897 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

My initial reaction was "outstanding" and started trying to justify an LE. I've never been an LE buyer, but own and like BK and BK2K, so this might be the one to get me there. Would love to hear if anyone else tries to justify it logically. I tried to quantify it like this...
+$100 Mirrored Backglass
+$100 Art blades
+$100 3-channel amp
+$250 HD glass
+$150 Shaker
+$250 Armor
About $950. Anyone else try this approach and come up with different numbers? Then there's intangibles like exclusivity and artwork preference.
I wish I could consider the pro, but it's not BK without upper playfield in my opinion. I wish they differentiated elsewhere. I think a better way would have been have the full RGB lighting only on premium and LE. Still give the pro an upper playfield, but keep it simple: maybe virtual lock instead of mechanical one.
As I'm analyzing the gameplay I'm starting to question some of the choices.
I really think the upper playfield orbit shot should have a spinner, which would be great to rip. Don't like that pro has 2 spinners and Prem/LE only 1.
There doesn't look like there's any flow-shot to the upper flipper. It would be great if you could chain lower shot into upper orbit path then to upper flipper and directly chain into ripping orbit shots and through a spinner. Maybe the upper transition shots are landing to the upper flipper, but doesn't look certain to me.
I think the VUK to upper playfield would be better behind the mace (or what weapon is BK holding?). As it is, both transition shots to upper playfield are more stop/go with either VUK or mace-block, although you can miss the mace. I just think it would be better if the far outer shot would be an uninterrupted flow shot to the upper playfield. The VUK seems like it would make more sense behind the mace as that's already a potential stop/go shot anyway.
Lightning wheel looks really plain and cheap to me: just some solid colors. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a Sega. That could really use some more sophisticated design or graphic.
Basically, first thought was outstanding and take-my-money but beginning to talk myself out of it or at least take a wait-and-see approach instead.
I do like there's only 600 LEs, should help keep the value better.

I did the exact same thing said $900-$1000 extra for the LE. I don't care about the limited ness.

#898 5 years ago

Chain Mail Mods Coming! (Just a Bad Joke)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#899 5 years ago

BK3 with external sub is going to be awesome!

#900 5 years ago

Game looks frickin awesome, can’t wait to play it. Pluses for me, art work, sound package (metal rules!), and BK interactive toy. Negatives, no upper playfield on the pro, too many feeds to the right flipper, only 1 ramp, not enough loops for super fast Ritchie flow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/18?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.