(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 81.
#801 5 years ago

Almost all "original themes" in pinball are really just "IP-free themes". MM is Holy Grail, AFM is a 50's sci-fi, NGG is Caddyshack, etc...

Where you get into trouble are original themes that are TOO original and have no frame of reference for the player. Junkyard is a great example. There's literally a blueprint on the PF explaining what the concept is - oops!

DI is the same thing. They'd have fared better if the game was visually a blatant SimCity ripoff. Would appear derivative but people would have immediately understood the concept, especially considering Lawlor's history of "disaster" pins.

BKSOR - the cab with the sword swipe and blood is the best! The one with just the sword... Meh.

#802 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It just wouldn't a thread if it didn't devolve quickly into JJP vs. Stern!

Lol. 100% true.

#803 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Almost all "original themes" in pinball are really just "IP-free themes". MM is Holy Grail, AFM is a 50's sci-fi, NGG is Caddyshack, etc...
Where you get into trouble are original themes that are TOO original and have no frame of reference for the player. Junkyard is a great example. There's literally a blueprint on the PF explaining what the concept is - oops!
DI is the same thing. They'd have fared better if the game was visually a blatant SimCity ripoff. Would appear derivative but people would have immediately understood the concept, especially considering Lawlor's history of "disaster" pins.
BKSOR - the cab with the sword swipe and blood is the best! The one with just the sword... Meh.

Totally agree on the cab.

#804 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

That's the question I have. I'm not sure in terms of gameplay the upper playfield looks all that exciting, but at the same time it is a Black Knight. It just feels kind of wrong to not have an upper playfield.
PS: I'm out either way. My top two Stern wants are still Spider-Man and Iron Maiden.

spider man gets old after a bomber game, iron maiden never does because you never get all of the damn tomb treasures.. this new BK looks like it could go deep

#805 5 years ago

Personally, I love DI, it's creativity, ingenuity, technology, etc. deserves nothing but praise IMO. However, to say that it is intuitive to a casual pinball player is not an honest statement. Then again, that does not make it a bad (or even a non-great) game as I think the same can be said about a multitude of awesome pins (not everything can have the same simplistic ruleset as AFM, yet still draw a player to keep coming back).

As far as the new BK, WOW! It looks incredible. The artwork is stunning (premium is my favorite), the playfield appears to be full of shots, the toys look great, and you know that the flow has to be perfect given it is a SR design. Of course, lots of speculation based upon a couple of promo videos. So sad, I'll probably have wait a full year to play it given TPF is a year away, but I could get lucky if one of the DFW barcades installs one. I absolutely loved The Musters, Oktoberfest, and probably Alice Cooper as my third place winner as it relates to my favorite pins at TPF this year. Of course I must reserve judgement until I've actually seen and played the new BK in person, but so far this looks like a title that could easily join or even be at that top of that list.

#806 5 years ago

Why the f$?& are people even mentioning DI?

#807 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Cuz JJP took a chance with an original IP, and now Stern is (sorta).

#808 5 years ago

For some stupid reason, I see the game being played with all Black Balls.

What about a foot pedal Mod for the Magna Save?

#809 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Normally I’m a wait to see/play kind of person before buying... but for this I’m in for the LE.
Now, gotta vote someone off the island to make room. Damn this hobby!

Same thought running through my head... which one of you has to go...

#810 5 years ago

Really lookin forward to seeing some gameplay vids. This game looks incredible!

#811 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

But that versions head art has the knight just resting on his sword. The LE has him about to jack someone with his. LE wins there. Though I agree the pro cabinet is the least of the three.

#812 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Dialed In looks like Pat Lawlor puked all over the playfield. No coherence, terrible theme, and a terrible concept.
Please stop trying to convince everyone that it's the greatest game ever. We've all read your posts over and over. You haven't changed anyone's mind.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, I understand some people won't like the game, that's expected. I completely disagree with your comment though and looks like many others do as well. Not surprised as you never have anything good to say about JJP, every comment about them is a dig or jab lol.

#813 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Normally I’m a wait to see/play kind of person before buying... but for this I’m in for the LE.
Now, gotta vote someone off the island to make room. Damn this hobby!

If you want to store your AFM at my house (climate controlled environment and regularly tested to make sure it stays in good working order) to make room for this game, I wouldn't charge you very much.

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

LoL

2019 is going to be a good year to spend $$

Buyers in years past are feeling that remorse come back in waves...

#815 5 years ago

Looks like there may be some nice pins hitting the market to make room for this game. Im ready to pounce on deals!

#816 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not trying to change anyone's mind, I understand some people won't like the game, that's expected. I completely disagree with your comment though and looks like many others do as well. Not surprised as you never have anything good to say about JJP, every comment about them is a dig or jab lol.

But they give me so much material to work with!

#817 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You still lock balls behind shield in the premium. It’s a different mb

I'm guessing there is still a 6 ball MB in the Pro.

The matrix says it's a 6 ball game. Why would the other 3 balls be in a Pro?

#819 5 years ago

As much as I make fun of people for wanting games before the code is complete/ fun enough, I think I'd trade my Starwars LE for one of these badboys

#820 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I'm guessing there is still a 6 ball MB in the Pro.
The matrix says it's a 6 ball game. Why would the other 3 balls be in a Pro?

Sounded like the there is an exclusive 3 ball multiball on the prem le that can stack with the standard 3 ball Mb

#821 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

This is a different video of the game from Stern than was going around earlier from IGN article. Seems to be Pro only.

Is it just me or does the knight kind of sound like the skill shot voice from deadpool??

#822 5 years ago

I don't know - based on just the video and the layout I'm not impressed. Seems like so much of what we've seen from Stern already. I want to play this thing first b/c I love Richie but it seems meh to me. Pro with no upper on a game like BK is terrible.

I just hope stern doesn't cheap out on Jurrasic World. I want something special stern.

#823 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't know - I'm not impressed. Seems like so much of what we've seen from Stern already. I want to play this thing first b/c I love Richie but it seems meh to me. Pro with no upper on a game like BK is terrible.
I just hope stern doesn't cheap out on JPW. I want something special stern.

Something's got to give to reach the Pro price point. I haven't seen a stream yet so no idea how much fun the upper PF even is.

#824 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Something's got to give to reach the Pro price point. I haven't seen a stream yet so no idea how much fun the upper PF even is.

Yep totally understand and usually upper makes sense but the foundation of BK is the upper so it just seems like a big cut. I just feel like the layout and especially "toys" (full game - LE) seems low budget/cheap. First impressions only - will hold off until I play but I'm not impressed. They really should be adding more to these games especially at that price. Give me magic stern!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#826 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:But that versions head art has the knight just resting on his sword. The LE has him about to jack someone with his. LE wins there. Though I agree the pro cabinet is the least of the three.

I agree. I also like the premium artwork for the translite best. Would have been awesome if they used it for the le mirrored backglass. I do like the le cab frt decal better than the premium.

#827 5 years ago

Boy am I eager to see what hits the used market with a good 10% discount off the NIB price.

TY to all the people buying the latest and greatest so I can have something x < 1 year old with a decent discount!!

#828 5 years ago

Where can I send my cash. I'm in. This looks awesome. Ritchie games are killer. I can't wait to see how this evolves.

Side note: DI blows. Worst earning game I've had on route. Well built but terrible theme. Stern Rules!!

#829 5 years ago

My initial reaction was "outstanding" and started trying to justify an LE. I've never been an LE buyer, but own and like BK and BK2K, so this might be the one to get me there. Would love to hear if anyone else tries to justify it logically. I tried to quantify it like this...

+$100 Mirrored Backglass
+$100 Art blades
+$100 3-channel amp
+$250 HD glass
+$150 Shaker
+$250 Armor

About $950. Anyone else try this approach and come up with different numbers? Then there's intangibles like exclusivity and artwork preference.

I wish I could consider the pro, but it's not BK without upper playfield in my opinion. I wish they differentiated elsewhere. I think a better way would have been have the full RGB lighting only on premium and LE. Still give the pro an upper playfield, but keep it simple: maybe virtual lock instead of mechanical one.

As I'm analyzing the gameplay I'm starting to question some of the choices.

I really think the upper playfield orbit shot should have a spinner, which would be great to rip. Don't like that pro has 2 spinners and Prem/LE only 1.

There doesn't look like there's any flow-shot to the upper flipper. It would be great if you could chain lower shot into upper orbit path then to upper flipper and directly chain into ripping orbit shots and through a spinner. Maybe the upper transition shots are landing to the upper flipper, but doesn't look certain to me.

I think the VUK to upper playfield would be better behind the mace (or what weapon is BK holding?). As it is, both transition shots to upper playfield are more stop/go with either VUK or mace-block, although you can miss the mace. I just think it would be better if the far outer shot would be an uninterrupted flow shot to the upper playfield. The VUK seems like it would make more sense behind the mace as that's already a potential stop/go shot anyway.

Lightning wheel looks really plain and cheap to me: just some solid colors. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a Sega. That could really use some more sophisticated design or graphic.

Basically, first thought was outstanding and take-my-money but beginning to talk myself out of it or at least take a wait-and-see approach instead.

I do like there's only 600 LEs, should help keep the value better.

#830 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Where can I send my cash. I'm in. This looks awesome. Ritchie games are killer. I can't wait to see how this evolves.
Side note: DI blows. Worst earning game I've had on route. Well built but terrible theme. Stern Rules!!

C'mon stop sugarcoating it , and tell us how you really feel !!!!

#831 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Dialed In looks like Pat Lawlor puked all over the playfield. No coherence, terrible theme, and a terrible concept.
Please stop trying to convince everyone that it's the greatest game ever. We've all read your posts over and over. You haven't changed anyone's mind.

Best summary ever!

#832 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Boy am I eager to see what hits the used market with a good 10% discount off the NIB price.
TY to all the people buying the latest and greatest so I can have something x &lt; 1 year old with a decent discount!!

Smartest guy on the block

#833 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Lightning wheel looks really plain and cheap to me: just some solid colors. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a Sega. That could really use some more sophisticated design or graphic.

The original Black Knight was done in 1980. I think they were trying to keep some art consistency, so it makes sense that it looks dated somewhat.

#834 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

My initial reaction was "outstanding" and started trying to justify an LE. I've never been an LE buyer, but own and like BK and BK2K, so this might be the one to get me there. Would love to hear if anyone else tries to justify it logically. I tried to quantify it like this...
+$100 Mirrored Backglass
+$100 Art blades
+$100 3-channel amp
+$250 HD glass
+$150 Shaker
+$250 Armor
About $950. Anyone else try this approach and come up with different numbers? Then there's intangibles like exclusivity and artwork preference.
I wish I could consider the pro, but it's not BK without upper playfield in my opinion. I wish they differentiated elsewhere. I think a better way would have been have the full RGB lighting only on premium and LE. Still give the pro an upper playfield, but keep it simple: maybe virtual lock instead of mechanical one.
As I'm analyzing the gameplay I'm starting to question some of the choices.
I really think the upper playfield orbit shot should have a spinner, which would be great to rip. Don't like that pro has 2 spinners and Prem/LE only 1.
There doesn't look like there's any flow-shot to the upper flipper. It would be great if you could chain lower shot into upper orbit path then to upper flipper and directly chain into ripping orbit shots and through a spinner. Maybe the upper transition shots are landing to the upper flipper, but doesn't look certain to me.
I think the VUK to upper playfield would be better behind the mace (or what weapon is BK holding?). As it is, both transition shots to upper playfield are more stop/go with either VUK or mace-block, although you can miss the mace. I just think it would be better if the far outer shot would be an uninterrupted flow shot to the upper playfield. The VUK seems like it would make more sense behind the mace as that's already a potential stop/go shot anyway.
Basically, first thought was outstanding and take-my-money but beginning to talk myself out of it or at least take a wait-and-see approach instead.
I do like there's only 600 LEs, should help keep the value better.

Mirror backglass and speck armor look way better in person and are hard to quantify. Your math is fine, it comes down to intangibles. I’m stoked to get an LE on such a macho badass theme. To each their own of course!

And FWIW, I believe this will hold value better than recent LE’s due to it being pinhead-centric.

#835 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

JJP should be thanking Stern for this release. It's taking attention away from the WOZ YBR mess. And that is making this Premium look like a bargain.

Actually Stern should be thanking JJP for bringing an original themed pinball machine back, without it this game likely wouldn't exist. Also, YBR is a cash grab model of WOZ, same as Beatles Platinum and Diamond are for Stern (except somehow YBR is nearly half the price of Beatles Diamond with 3x as much in it).

#836 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Actually Stern should be thanking JJP for bringing an original themed pinball machine back, without it this game likely wouldn't exist. Also, YBR is a cash grab model of WOZ, same as Beatles Platinum and Diamond are for Stern (except somehow YBR is nearly half the price of Beatles Diamond with 3x as much in it).

Yep, a failed original theme forced Stern to compete - now that is funny.

#837 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Why the f$?&amp; are people even mentioning DI?

Was Dialed In Yellow Brick Road announced? $11.5K?

travolta.giftravolta.gif
#838 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

[quoted image]

That's at next years TPF.

#839 5 years ago

Black Knight has better music than Iron Maiden

#840 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

[quoted image]

Since we keep talking JJP, who thinks the next JJP LE is priced $10,500?

#842 5 years ago

Premium art package looks very nice and seems to fit the theme well. I like that on the premium the Black Knight is on a horse Bk / BK 2000 style and is actually holding a sword considering the game is called "Black Knight Sword of Fury". Translite and cabinet artwork on the pro and LE are not nearly as appealing in my opinion.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#843 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

The original Black Knight was done in 1980. I think they were trying to keep some art consistency, so it makes sense that it looks dated somewhat.

You're more forgiving than me on this one. The lightning bolts in a circle are plenty enough to make the historical connection. I'm more cynical about the surrounding art: it looks more like laziness.

#844 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

+$100 Mirrored Backglass
+$100 Art blades
+$100 3-channel amp
+$250 HD glass
+$150 Shaker
+$250 Armor

All additions come with a 3-channel amp. Its the speakers that are upgraded on the LE. I agree though. I am also trying to run the numbers as well. I look at it a bit different. I go with must haves for me personally, or what I would add to the premium. I would add the blades, upgraded speakers, $50 set of lollipop rails, and shaker. Possibly HD glass. My numbers come in a little lower than yours for that reason. I was leaning towards an LE and now I'm thinking premium.

#845 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Premium art package looks very nice and seems to fit the theme well. I like that on the premium the Black Knight is on a horse Bk / BK 2000 style and is actually holding a sword considering the game is called "Black Knight Sword of Fury". Translite and cabinet artwork on the pro and LE are not nearly as appealing in my opinion.
[quoted image]

My mistake. If middle is premium (horse) that’s the one I like.

#846 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My mistake. If middle is premium (horse) that’s the one I like.

Yes

#847 5 years ago

Is the teaser video sound in the game? Really like it, crackling flames, electronic hum like a light sabre burning and all.

#848 5 years ago

I’m thinking Premium on this after I play it (I know, revolutionary right?).

And I normally buy LE.

Only thing is that LE mirrored backglass looks awesome. Very true to the BK2000 nostalgia.

#849 5 years ago

Does the flail spinner spin in both directions? To reject the ball under some scenarios?

#850 5 years ago

One thing that I'm going to nit pick about is the obvious zip ties on the flail. At least make them black zip ties!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution
Toppers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
8,730 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/17?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.