(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 81.
#651 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This game was clearly made for us, the pinball nerds. I showed my friend, and he isn't excited. He has pinball machines but isn't a pinball person if that makes sense. Maybe Stern is concerned because the theme isn't recognizable for "barcade hipsters" and "building a game room" home buyers?
I think it will do well, but I am also in the pinball vortex.

600 seems like a lot of LEs when they wouldn't do 666 for Maiden that could have easily sold that, but limited it to 500.

Wait...so the upper playfield is PLASTIC?

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

worst flow of any modern Ritchie

Ok, you called down the lightening, are you ready for the thunder? That is a VERY bold statement to make without flipping a machine. Even I won’t trash a machine on flow without flipping it first. I will trash a theme, artwork, sound, or even animations if I have seen or heard them, but to look at a playfield and say “this is going to suck” is like saying your date is going to suck when she first opens the door. Both statements may actually be true, but you won’t know how bad or good until the end of the date. Shroedingers pinball I guess.

#653 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Just a curiosity... besides on the artwork, are there (is there) any sword(s) in the game?
Would be a nice tie in to the name.

Mod opportunity!

#654 5 years ago

Any Black Knight for Stern jokes yet?

#655 5 years ago

Love love love this new game!!!!!

#656 5 years ago

Here is one thing we all have to realize. Why is Attack from Mars the most played machine at barcades? Because it is fun to shoot. It is not a licensed theme. If BK Swords of Rage is a fun game to shoot and the soundtrack is captivating and immersive it will do well. And having a 6-ball Multiball will be incredible. The artwork alone and soundtrack will be a huge win. I think it will do well in public locations. The toy alone will attract people who aren’t pinball nerds. We'll see what happens! This is a way better theme than Dialed In that will attract the non-pinball players. Everybody loves medieval themes. This one hits a home run!

#657 5 years ago

Just poking a little fun here...

I like how on the feature sheet, it says "2 full size flippers on main play field" as if this is some type of special feature. Is this not, at a minimum, a "standard" feature of ALL modern (1950's-present) machines, save pitch-and-bats and other odd ball machines?

Sort of how car manufacturers advertise vehicles as having power brakes, steering, etc, which are essentially, standard across the entire line. The last car I'm aware of that didn't have power steering was the Honda S2000 (as it took away from the steering feel).

#658 5 years ago

How did Williams survive making Black Knight and Black Knight 2000? I thought those games were on location?

#659 5 years ago

Not sure how the manga save will work if you have time to hit the center button in the heat of the moment.

Just bought STLE so used my fun money, don’t want to sell anything. I’ll just wait and see how this develops maybe get one down the road. But this is the first Stern pin I’ve really wanted since TWD time.

#660 5 years ago

I'll most excited to hear that Brendon Small is working on it. HELL YEAH!! That's Dethklok!

#661 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, you called down the lightening, are you ready for the thunder? That is a VERY bold statement to make without flipping a machine. Even I won’t trash a machine on flow without flipping it first. I will trash a theme, artwork, sound, or even animations if I have seen or heard them, but to look at a playfield and say “this is going to suck” is like saying your date is going to suck when she first opens the door. Both statements may actually be true, but you won’t know how bad or good until the end of the date. Shroedingers pinball I guess.

The words I wrote before the few you cherrypicked were "I wouldn't be surprised if it has the". Just starting a discussion about a pinball machine on a pinball discussion forum, not making definitive claims about gameplay on a game none of us have played.

It seems very much like a playfield designed to highlight the upper portion, so to remove the upper portion entirely would leave a bit to be desired. I think the Knight doll in the middle would be missed less than an entire playing surface that the ball plunges to, upkicks to, orbits around via it's own flipper, and features the primary game locks.

My initial impression is that the premium may be the coolest premium Stern has made in the Spike 2 era, while the pro may be their biggest disappointment since Aerosmith. Time will prove me right or wrong...I'm hoping for the latter.

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Las palabras que escribí antes de los pocos que escribiste fueron "No me sorprendería si tuviera el". Comenzar una discusión sobre una máquina de pinball en un foro de discusión de pinball, no hacer afirmaciones definitivas sobre el juego en un juego que ninguno de nosotros ha jugado.
Se parece mucho a un campo de juego diseñado para resaltar la parte superior, por lo que eliminar la parte superior dejaría un poco que desear. Creo que a la muñeca Knight en el medio le faltaría menos que una superficie de juego completa a la que la bola se sumerge, levanta las órbitas a través de su propia aleta y presenta los candados principales del juego.
Mi impresión inicial es que la prima puede ser la mejor que Stern ha logrado en la era Spike 2, mientras que la profesional puede ser su mayor decepción desde Aerosmith. El tiempo probará si estoy bien o mal ... Estoy esperando lo último.

I think the same. I would go for a bonus

#663 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This game was clearly made for us, the pinball nerds. I showed my friend, and he isn't excited. He has pinball machines but isn't a pinball person if that makes sense. Maybe Stern is concerned because the theme isn't recognizable for "barcade hipsters" and "building a game room" home buyers?
I think it will do well, but I am also in the pinball vortex.

Great games without massive public appeal suffer on location. I feel this would earn like Maiden, skilled regular players love it and the public walks on by.

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCoinSlotTC:

Great games without massive public appeal suffer on location. I feel this would earn like Maiden, skilled regular players love it and the public walks on by.

Maiden does really well on the location we have it at, which is not a pinball bar. Both Pro and Premium rock the take.

#665 5 years ago

BK2K was always a favorite of mine to find in the wild, and I was 18 when the OG Knight started kicking my ass and laughing at me in late 1980. My older brother has the OG, so I think it is time for little (yeah by title not stature) brother to get his Knight game on. I am in for a Premium at least. That is if my MBrLE ever- OH FFS! WILL YOU STOP IT ALREADY!!!

#666 5 years ago

Don't have the funds to be a NIB person, but my Hobbit will be going up for sale/trade next year to either fund a DP, BK3K, or JW... Stern has been knocking them out of the park lately.

#667 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballonthemark:

This is a way better theme than Dialed In that will attract the non-pinball players. Everybody loves medieval themes. This one hits a home run!

correct of course !
but if you're a pinball player, you know DI is top class for everything else but the theme (which is finally not bad when you're in the game, lets say its not appealing at first)

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

wonder how lame the pro will feel after playing a prem/le

Be like me and never play a Premium/LE version of a game and buy a pro. What I don't know, I don't miss and don't care about. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to spending $2000+ extra to have a few extra gimmicks in an already fun toy.

#669 5 years ago

If its Lyman on code, and could be a must have game. I like the original as a teen in 80's and enjoyed 2k in 90's. I am excited about this news of Steve new game.

#670 5 years ago

This is a really good looking machine, it kind of has a Diablo 1 feel to it.

I'm a bit of a ways away from buying a NIB machine, but this one looks mighty nice.

#671 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

If its Lyman on code, and could be a must have game. I like the original as a teen in 80's and enjoyed 2k in 90's. I am excited about this news of Steve new game.

Not lyman.. tim Sexton

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

I'm hoping for the latter.

No hard feelings, but so am I. I just don’t mess with SR flow fans as boldly and ballsy as you did was my point.

#673 5 years ago

Tim has a really good grasp on what makes good pinball rules because he's a good pinball player and a rules guy. I have faith he will deliver on that end, so that's at least promising.

#674 5 years ago

The stainless steel ramp portion on the upper playfield...is that just for releasing the balls from the lock?

#675 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Not sure, but it looks like plenty here would not mind having a Sword of Rage in their basement. :p

#676 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

but to look at a playfield and say “this is going to suck” is like saying your date is going to suck when she first opens the door.

So if your date is going to suck what would be bad about that? Sorry had to say it.

#677 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not Lyman.. Tim Sexton

Is Tim literally coding or is he designing / specifying the rules? As a former coder, just curious about that distinction.

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

SICK
Maybe he'll sneak the Fight for your Right solo in there.

Kerry King played the No Sleep Till Brooklyn solo, not the Fight for your Right solo...

#679 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballonthemark:

Here is one thing we all have to realize. Why is Attack from Mars the most played machine at barcades? Because it is fun to shoot. It is not a licensed theme. If BK Swords of Rage is a fun game to shoot and the soundtrack is captivating and immersive it will do well. And having a 6-ball Multiball will be incredible. The artwork alone and soundtrack will be a huge win. I think it will do well in public locations. The toy alone will attract people who aren’t pinball nerds. We'll see what happens! This is a way better theme than Dialed In that will attract the non-pinball players. Everybody loves medieval themes. This one hits a home run!

Dialed In is also an incredible shooting, interactive, and deep pin with what is probably the highest quality custom assets when it comes to an original themed pin. Those items have helped create a lot of fans of the game. Theme alone doesn't equal success as we've seen many times before, the other parts need to be there as well.

Looking forward to seeing what Stern brings to the table with Black Knight Sword of Fury once actual gameplay video is released, more animations are shown, and code is completed.

#680 5 years ago

Wow. No upper playfield on the pro model? That is the whole thing about BK games...they all have an upper playfield.

#681 5 years ago

Its nice to see dual gi (white/red) and lots of rgb inserts on both models

#682 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

No hard feelings, but so am I. I just don’t mess with SR flow fans as boldly and ballsy as you did was my point.

If this game was designed by anyone else, there wouldn't be a single person claiming that pro layout is "flowey"

#683 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Wow. No upper playfield on the pro model? That is the whole thing about BK games...they all have an upper playfield.

Yea I'm thinking the premium is a must on this title... but 7200+ is a lot of money's

#684 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

So if your date is going to suck what would be bad about that? Sorry had to say it.

No, that was the joke

#685 5 years ago

Dang and I just bought a Batman! I guess another one must go for this...

#686 5 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Tim has a really good grasp on what makes good pinball rules because he's a good pinball player and a rules guy. I have faith he will deliver on that end, so that's at least promising.

Agree, I don’t know Tim but more than 1-2 people in the world can make great rules. I just hope they have time or polish and fix bugs. One thing I dislike about some Stern pins as the lack of polish of waiting 2 years for a omelet game.

#687 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Im working on an alternative translight for mine when it gets here.

Screenshot_20190326-141204 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190326-141204 (resized).jpg
#688 5 years ago

I'm hearing around $8800 shipped for an LE. I think that is $200 less then Munsters LE? Premium may be $7300 - $7500?

#689 5 years ago

Theme will be fine. There's an evil Black Knight and you have to stop him.

You don't need to explain knights, castles, swords etc to people. You DO have to explain why cell phones, natural disasters and quadcopters are related though.

#691 5 years ago

Right now is the time I like to sneek barbs into a thread and hope the press of posts buries it quickly enough that only true hard core Pinsiders ever read back through it and upvote them quietly and hope it doesn’t blow up immediately in my face like saying “BK2K was the biggest piece of shit that was ever designed by Steve Ritchie, and I have played a Stellar Wars” just to watch my up/down ratio bounce back and forth for a few days.

#692 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Theme will be fine. There's an evil Black Knight and you have to stop him.
You don't need to explain knights, castles, swords etc to people. You DO have to explain why cell phones, natural disasters and quadcopters are related though.

It also has "the dummy shot" in the Black Knight.

That said, it's not a theme that someone across the bar will see and say "I gotta check that out" unlike a Ghostbusters, GoT, GotG, etc... But if someone is already checking out the machines, I think this will still attract casual players. And unlike those other games, it'll be a lot more intuitive of what you should be shooting for.

#693 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

That’s one way to ensure you don’t miss a manga-save moment.

This game looks good!

#694 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Be glad the Pro model still includes a main playfield.

#695 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not sure how the manga save will work if you have time to hit the center button in the heat of the moment.

Have you played BK2K? Same exact thing. You see the ball flying toward the outlane, you hit the magnet button, and it "sucks" the ball back up from a drain, centers it, and drops it to the inlane.

#696 5 years ago

Only installed from the factory on the LE. You can add a shaker to any model.

#697 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you played BK2K? Same exact thing. You see the ball flying toward the outlane, you hit the magnet button, and it "sucks" the ball back up from a drain, centers it, and drops it to the inlane.

I think he's more concerned with the location of the button, not how it works.

#698 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I think he's more concerned with the location of the button, not how it works.

Ah, good point. The magnet button next to the flipper button would def be quicker to hit....but Steve prob figured most location players wouldn't know it was there.

#699 5 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I’m an op and home buyer. I’ll likely buy two so I can have one at home. I expect it to earn well enough yet less than other recently licensed themes like GOTG, DP, IMDN.

Can you follow up on this after you routed it for awhile.

#700 5 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

That's cool but is Lyman coding it?!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 16.00
There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/14?hl=hayrebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.