(Topic ID: 239218)

Black Knight Sword of Rage!!! - Sterns next machine!!!

By Blacksun

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,038 posts
  • 618 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E48B5703-B4A1-44F6-83C5-A6D82CDCA4AC (resized).jpeg
F5EBA634-1EB9-4166-9F97-F7FE168D0140 (resized).jpeg
BK.Topper (resized).jpg
20190725_121826 (resized).jpg
20190725_121831 (resized).jpg
0E9C9593-9839-4A73-B78A-634FDE418B65.gif
B404A860-F9FD-437A-A4B4-8F331DA8B3BE.gif
F1A4E53B-23E1-413F-A7EB-9C5CAF11BA13.gif
F65E8C0C-8152-4782-AEB4-81447A018FC6.gif
99B0FC91-C8EF-42FC-962A-D453CD65A7FB.gif
20190711_155707 (resized).jpg
sword fight (resized).jpg
coin-mech-screws (resized).jpg
2415D789-F42C-4E38-9CD5-8647071A1183 (resized).jpeg
EAD654D2-AEF6-4436-8D3F-9AE5F4131ED3 (resized).jpeg
DF6D006E-0021-4BDC-8DD2-5D81B373B66A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 81.
#601 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I find it weird that they called it Sword of Rage and the Knight has a flail, should have just used another name.

Darscot - Sir, I applaud your knowledge of medieval weaponry

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe it'll be pinball's first quad level playfield?!

I thought Pinball Circus from Python had done this already? Maybe it was less or more than 4? Seemed like a bunch in the cube.

#603 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Game looks great, my only concern is lack of a ball return to the left flipper but I am sure Ritchie has the flow in check

Wouldn't be Black Knight if you used the left flipper.

#604 5 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Darscot - Sir, I applaud your knowledge of medieval weaponry

Though I will add that the sword referenced is the player's, not the knights, correct? Note the "objective"

BK (resized).jpgBK (resized).jpg

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

If you hit the magnasave, it will hold it there long enough to get your hand back to the flipper, but if you can’t get your hand up to the lock bar fast enough... your ball drains. “HA, HA, HA!!!”

that's the one thing on this machine that I can't wrap my head around. I can forgive a single magna save only on the right side (cost savings), but to move the activator button from right next to the flipper to the lockdown bar seems like a counter-intuitive move

#606 5 years ago

Game looks sick ! According to the IGN article, Brendan Small is also credited for music. If the name sounds familiar, he's the same Brendan Small responsible for this:

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder what the last modern game (besides TNA) that doesn't have a habit rail or plastic ramp return to each flipper?

Could it be as far back as AVATAR?

#608 5 years ago

Looks awesome. I'm tempted to get the Premium but I have more important things to spend $7600 (plus tax) on. I'll definitely wait until reviews come in and maybe pick up a used Premium for $6k sometime next year...

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that's the one thing on this machine that I can't wrap my head around. I can forgive a single magna save only on the right side (cost savings), but to move the activator button from right next to the flipper to the lockdown bar seems like a counter-intuitive move

Use your left hand to hit the lockdown bar? Right hand to use the flipper?

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Looks pretty amazing visually. I find it weird that they called it Sword of Rage and the Knight has a flail, should have just used another name. Seems a little bit old guy juvenile for me, its like a Tenacious D knock off. Tenacious D is killer in small doses but I don't I think I can personally tolerate it in my home as I keep my pins for a long time. Looks like a must play on location and at shows though. I guess in fairness Steve Ritchie had this style long before Tenacious D but they have similar inspiration.

Even just "Black Knight" would have been nice with the same playfield artwork that has been shown but less cyber knight cabinet and transite artwork. Playfield artwork looks great but I think the cabinet and translite artwork are unappealing, just my opinion. I was hoping for cabinet and translite artwork that resembles the first two games along with stainless steel armor on the LE.

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Agreed. No-likey.
I’ll give it a chance though. I’m extremely happy to see the Black Knight return.

#612 5 years ago

It wouldn't be Pinside if there weren't people complaining that the game has a sword in the name but the main toy isn't holding one.

Looks bad ass. It's sort of original, sort of a license, but I don't care, what's important is that it was wide open for a metal af throwback art package without some movie bean counter telling them they had to photoshop on some dude's face. Kevin O'Connor killed it, feels like the 80s in the best way. Not just the art, but the way it fits in, the whole package, it has that satisfying 'complete' look that the games that are just art collages don't. (Alien included, not throwing stones at anyone, just enjoying this look.)

I'm 100% not buying this, prices have me done with new pins short of some kind of holy shit moment, and as cool as this looks it's not it. But this fills me with joy in the way that The Munsters definitely didn't. Great work Stern and Steve Ritchie and everyone, hell, the music credits sound super legit too.

#613 5 years ago

Looks really fun to play, love the knight mech.....I'm betting someone will have the balls to drill their cabinet and add a magnasave button on the right side.

#614 5 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Suit of armor for the stream?

Burger King Crown should suffice.

#615 5 years ago

Aurich is right on the money. Couldn’t agree more. Well said

#616 5 years ago

Not going to lie, this makes Munsters Pro kind of look like a Gottlieb 80B by comparison.

#617 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Looks really fun to play, love the knight mech.....I'm betting someone will have the balls to drill their cabinet and add a magnasave button on the right side.

I was already thinking this. It would be a permanent modification but not difficult to do. You need to hit magnasave so fast for it to be effective. I usually always have a finger hovering above the button on my BK2K just ready for it. On the lock bar, I feel like there would be slow reaction time and would make the feature useless. I'm sure this will be a debate but its something I'd probably change on mine.

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It wouldn't be Pinside if there weren't people complaining that the game has a sword in the name but the main toy isn't holding one.

I'm not complaining, it was a simple observation, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a criticism. No reason to start defending the hive.

#619 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

A drill bit and some extra wire could go a long way to fix this atrocity... and I envision the Mod Couple, or Lermods, or any maker with an iron and some velcro will come up with a temporary button you can put on the cabinet side. That or a chin post and strap for your head, and this brings up an interesting question, if you used said chin post and strap, would that be considered cheating in a tournament?

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from Time:

I was already thinking this. It would be a permanent modification but not difficult to do. You need to hit magnasave so fast for it to be effective. I usually always have a finger hovering above the button on my BK2K just ready for it. On the lock bar, I feel like there would be slow reaction time and would make the feature useless. I'm sure this will be a debate but its something I'd probably change on mine.

Too bad Stern wouldn't reconsider this before they hit the line, and add the cabinet Magna Save button.

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Wouldn't be Black Knight if you used the left flipper.

This is only true of BK2K, man. Original Black Knight use the left upper for locks and the left lower was just as good for getting back to the top. ... Man.

#622 5 years ago

I do feel the pro is legit bogus. That is such a huge difference in gameplay that they shouldn't even be named the same game.

#623 5 years ago

If all your lockdown bars have a button in the middle, you only have to order one kind of lockdown bar. Guess they couldn't come up with some other use for that button in this game, so they're using it for magna save rather than add a button.

#624 5 years ago

Another pin where I like the Pro cabinet art more than the Premium or LE.

#625 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

That or a chin post and strap for your head, and this brings up an interesting question, if you used said chin post and strap, would that be considered cheating in a tournament?
[quoted image]

Beer bellied competitors have always had an advantage since the “belly button” was added to the lock bar.

#626 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I do feel the pro is legit bogus. That is such a huge difference in gameplay that they shouldn't even be named the same game.

This is hilarious. Does this angle come from "well I actually *WANT* this game, so *NOW* the pro/premium model is a tragedy" ? GOT missing the upper playfield, munsters missing the lower playfield -- same deal. Money has to come out somewhere.

#627 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Too bad Stern wouldn't reconsider this before they hit the line, and add the cabinet Magna Save button.

Take an old distortion pedal box and make a floor pedal for the magna save. That would rock right within the theme. The lockdown bar button activation is lame.

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

My only guess is that they wanted to call out the magnasave and that's why they put it prominently on the lock bar with a big labeled? No one even seem to even notice the 2nd button on the right side of my bk2k. I have to tell them what it does. So it can be confusing if you're not familiar with the old feature.

#629 5 years ago

So, the Black Knight isn't the one with the "Sword of Rage". You--the player--are using your "Sword of Rage" to defeat the Flail holding Black Knight. I think....

#630 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

some other use for that button.

Other than stacking Zap jackpots?

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What? Why? PP just licenses the WMS stuff, they don't own it. Stern is also licensing it - from "Williams Electronic Games", not PP.

Did you not see their logo at the end of the promo vid

#632 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If all your lockdown bars have a button in the middle, you only have to order one kind of lockdown bar. Guess they couldn't come up with some other use for that button.

They don't though. Beatles and Iron Maiden last year didn't have them.

Steve Ritchie games have had the button for a while now by choice. Also Stern made a big deal out of how they had to modify their cabinets for extra flipper buttons on Munsters. They choose the lockdown button on purpose.

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This is hilarious. Does this angle come from "well I actually *WANT* this game, so *NOW* the pro/premium model is a tragedy" ? GOT missing the upper playfield, munsters missing the lower playfield -- same deal. Money has to come out somewhere.

No, I've always disliked their model and mentioned it a few times. It just is less apparent in some other games. I do mention it because I am actually interested in this one. (wasn't at all in munsters).

#634 5 years ago

I'm happy to see thr 3 drop target bank made it to the pro vs just stand-ups. Miss those drops on my Tron Pro. I do wish they could have fit another 3 in there to spell out knight. I like the rotating and timed feature of those on bk2k.

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

It does look pretty boring. I wouldn't be surprised if it has the worst flow of any modern Ritchie...

B88AA3F3-7077-4BBD-AC06-7391CC586B77.gifB88AA3F3-7077-4BBD-AC06-7391CC586B77.gif
#636 5 years ago

Here is the feature matrix for Stern Black Knight Swords of Rage! We are a proud dealer for Stern!

Greg M
Pinballpro.com

bkmatrix (resized).pngbkmatrix (resized).png
#637 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Did you not see their logo at the end of the promo vid

Oh. I wonder if because PPS got 'exclusive' rights for physical pinball/parts originally they get a cut.

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

BTW, the music on this thing is gonna rock your fricken pants off.

No pants... chain mail t-shirt... sounds like a fun party for sure!!

#639 5 years ago
Quoted from soapblox:

So, the Black Knight isn't the one with the "Sword of Rage". You--the player--are using your "Sword of Rage" to defeat the Flail holding Black Knight. I think....

I think its just a minor continuity error most of the art he has the sword in hand. Looks like on one of the backglasses he has the flail and the toy has the flail everything else has the sword.

#640 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No fear pinball comes to mind when i look at this? Anyone else see this?

that was directly my 1st feeling (as others do may see GOT)...
was waiting some else to say it

#641 5 years ago

Wow, this looks awesome! I'm just disappointed they didn't get Brian Schmidt back to do the sound. I'm sure the music will still be great, but Brian was a master at creating incredible, exciting sound packages. BK2K is still one of the best to this day, so this game has a lot to live up to when it comes to sound.

#642 5 years ago

That’s one way to ensure you don’t miss a manga-save moment.

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Here is the feature matrix for Stern Black Knight Swords of Rage! We are a proud dealer for Stern!
Greg M
Pinballpro.com
[quoted image]

Can you attach the PDF in "original size (no rescaling)" mode so it's not all blurry, please?

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

Beer bellied competitors have always had an advantage since the “belly button” was added to the lock bar.

This is exactly why I maintain an awesome beer gut. It gives me the edge when playing Star Trek, Star Wars, and, now, BKSOR.

#645 5 years ago

The "Retro Mode" for Classic sounds is cool!

#646 5 years ago

It will be a seriously missed opportunity if Stern doesn't sell T-Shirts for this game for $14.95.

This will be everyone's first mod for sureThis will be everyone's first mod for sure
This will be everyone's first mod for sure

Only $14.95Only $14.95
Only $14.95!

#647 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Can you attach the PDF in "original size (no rescaling)" mode so it's not all blurry, please?

You bet, sorry about that. I needed it in photo form for my website and just posted that.
Greg
Pinballpro.com
Black Knight Sword of Rage Features Matrix.pdfBlack Knight Sword of Rage Features Matrix.pdf

#648 5 years ago

This game was clearly made for us, the pinball nerds. I showed my friend, and he isn't excited. He has pinball machines but isn't a pinball person if that makes sense. Maybe Stern is concerned because the theme isn't recognizable for "barcade hipsters" and "building a game room" home buyers?

I think it will do well, but I am also in the pinball vortex.

#649 5 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

You bet, sorry about that. I needed it in photo form for my website and just posted that.[quoted image]

THANK YOU! Much better...

#650 5 years ago

The key to this doing well on route is going to be keeping the attract music on. It won't matter that it isn't a 1960s TV show or classic rock band.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 16.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

There are 4,038 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball/page/13?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.