Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Sterns next music pin, Van Halen??”

• Hell yes 65 votes
      39%
    • Errrr no 100 votes
      61%

(165 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vhwholeplayfield (resized).jpg
    vhtopplayfield (resized).jpg
    vhbottomplayfield (resized).jpg
    vhbackboxbuttonedup (resized).jpg
    vh_playfield_art (resized).jpg
    bay_city_rollers.jpg
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Gah...but I want RUSH.

that would be the one and only theme (music or otherwise) that would get me to buy a "modern" pinball machine...

of course, given the distinct phases that the band has gone through, can you imagine the hullaballoo over the song list???

#52 10 years ago

Im really hoping they take a break from more music pins for a while.

However, given the insane success on ACDC and the pre-sale success of METLE, I suspect then to continue.

With the built-in fanbase of these bands, its likely easy money, especially if they can get away with only needing to sell a couple thousand of a title.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

that would be the one and only theme (music or otherwise) that would get me to buy a "modern" pinball machine...
    of course, given the distinct phases that the band has gone through, can you imagine the hullaballoo over the song list???

As long as it starts with Spirit of Radio, I'm happy. Rush's music just has the right energy for Pinball....moreso than any other band I can think of.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

As long as it starts with Spirit of Radio, I'm happy. Rush's music just has the right energy for Pinball....moreso than any other band I can think of.

i could deal with that...

the choices of toys would be huge as well... by-tor and the snow dog mini playfield... red barchetta back box animation... and so on....

i can only dream... probably just as well we won't see it though, i'd have to get over my strong aversion to pinball machines without score reels...

edit: good to see i'm not the only pinhead who is also a rushhead... i think rush is the only music i listen to that has words... i'm more of a classical type of a guy*...

the "energy" would work until neil's mourning period started...

* oooo, just thought of another that would get me to buy a machine... if there was a "beethoven" machine announced, i couldn't get my money to a distro fast enough...

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

edit: good to see i'm not the only pinhead who is also a rushhead...

Lyman loves Rush. Let him design and code it...it would be epic!!!!

#56 10 years ago

^^^

dammit... now you've got me thinking about this...

hey, you think you and i could get a thousand people to front us the money to build a pin?

#57 10 years ago

Would love to see it and play it, but I don't see it happening. I love VH (all eras) but If I was selling rock themed pins the worldwide appeal of Iron Maiden would be a much stronger license. The new VH album/tour didn't make a big splash. I just see many other license options ahead of it in line.

#58 10 years ago

VH or Rush would be the 2 best possible pins they could do with a music theme. I would have to buy both.

#60 10 years ago

Would some distributor please contact me about accepting a deposit now for a Rush LE, so I don't get shut out a la MOPLE? Just in case?

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blitz7734:

Just saying.... VH never had a number one album until Sammy showed up.....

5150 was a great album, but not as good as VH1 or 1984. VH album sales with Roth are twice that of the Hagar years. Btw, Mr Mister had a #1 album in 1986 too.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes he does

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from KYpinhead:

Btw, Mr Mister had a #1 album in 1986 too.

yea, and "culture club" had one in 1983... you could come up with some, umm, interesting, toys for THAT machine...

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

sitting here listening to "2112"*... "passage to bangkok"... BEST toy ever... i won't spell it out for fear of being tilted...

* side note: cd's were a wonderful invention... no more getting up to turn the album over... "streaming" was an even more wonderful one... my entire music collection (almost 3000 albums ) at my fingertips without even leaving my couch...

#65 10 years ago

IM would destroy VH

sales wise

#66 10 years ago

Ozzy was mentioned back in 2007. I can see that going down.

#68 10 years ago

i'm now listening to "the film music of nino rota"... it would not be a "music" pin, but i bet that a "godfather" pin would sell like hotcakes...

1 year later
    #69 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Another thought, maybe a Van Halen pin would be acceptable to most if it did not have any pictures of the band members, and 90% of the music was from the original David Lee Roth years (in other words mostly from the first 6 albums).
    The art could be the mostly hand drawn such as the VH logo, Eddie's iconic guitar, art from the albums and tours, etc.

totally agree. roth callouts and guitar riffs. I would buy this new

#70 9 years ago

Van Halen eh...lol. No thanks.

2 months later
    #71 9 years ago

DLR vs. Sammy arguments are pathetic because most folks just regurgitate what their older brother told them twenty years ago. Knuckleheads who spew out, "It's not Van Halen without Roth!" are clearly Bush league and have NO idea what they are talking about.

In my expert opinion, the truth is that BOTH singers were spectacular in their own way and introduced different phases and eras to the band. If you prefer showmanship, then you are probably a DLR fan. If you prefer musicality, then Hagar. Both are tremendous so there is no proper or correct answer to the question, Who is the better lead singer?" and don't let anyone tell you different.

As for a pin, I'd love to see it but I doubt it'll ever happen. Hence, I'm going to make my own.

#72 9 years ago

Van Hagar era music is way too pop top 40 crap. Nothing against Sammy on his own, but The only VH that counts are the 1st 6 albums. The older the better. Base the art/theme on Classic VH. No Wolfgang either.........

#73 9 years ago

Van Halen is the best, but Van Hagar was great too. And I already have a VH pin, as my ACDC Prem plays 12 VH songs!!

And they need to make an Archer pinball and use nothing but Rush for the music. It just makes sense!!

1 year later
    #75 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Well it's happening, even if it's an early Bally layout
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Van_Halen

Isn't that Dolly Parton layout? So, basically a re theme?

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Dolly Parton layout? So, basically a re theme?

Same layout, but I wouldn't call it a retheme because it's getting modern rules and real music. Sort of like how I wouldn't call the flash to queen project a retheme because it has modern hardware:

I wish it were a new layout, but that's a big undertaking.

#77 7 years ago

Bring on the Stern Spike LCD version. Now's a good time to do this with the new changes.

#78 7 years ago

The Who would be a great machine and I don't want to hear they have one with Tommy, anyone that really knows music understands that isn't their best music.

2 months later
    #79 6 years ago

Wrapping up playfield art for Bally Dolly Parton --> Van halen conversion for a friend, here's a sneak peek:
    vh_playfield_art (resized).jpgvh_playfield_art (resized).jpg

Hoping he can finish everything to bring it to pintastic

#81 6 years ago

I normally don't like music pins (not sure why, ac/dc and Metallica seem like great games) but this gave me pause. I'd be in day one on Rush or Maiden, but hadn't considered VH. Maybe I would! There is no way in hell though that they could pull it off. The licensing and likeness rights are out of control. Plus VH basically doesn't have a manager anymore, and the brothers have sadly proven they are not capable businessmen, or even reasonable people, if you believe all the stories. Eddie did an awesome talk at the Smithsonian a few months ago and played a bit of guitar - he seemed way more mature than I have seen in years.

1 month later
    #82 6 years ago

First flip of van halen project by Hugh Spahr of OPP. Coding with rules, lights, music, and display should be coming soon:

3 weeks later
    #84 6 years ago

https://openpinballproject.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/6272017-pictures-of-van-halen

Beyond doing artwork for the backbox/playfield/plastics, I also 3d printed custom pop bumper caps with the logo. If you're at pintastic next month, stop by and see it.

vhbackboxbuttonedup (resized).jpgvhbackboxbuttonedup (resized).jpg

vhbottomplayfield (resized).jpgvhbottomplayfield (resized).jpg

vhtopplayfield (resized).jpgvhtopplayfield (resized).jpg

vhwholeplayfield (resized).jpgvhwholeplayfield (resized).jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-music-pin-van-halen/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.