(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 9 years ago

It sounds like Stern also figured out how to give a level of protection to the solenoid and switch circuitry, which is a really good step forward with the move to SMD.

#150 9 years ago

I think the new Spike system is a good move forward, it certainly appears to be more fully featured than any other manufacturer's controller out there right now, especially if they've really bolstered the protection circuitry as the press release claims.

#261 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Are the LEDs and components on these SMD PCBs really that tiny that they cannot be replaced? I haven't run into trouble replacing SMD components on boards unless they get ultra-micro sized. Anyone with one of these boards ever have success replacing SMD parts? I'm curious.

Just looking at the pictures of the LED boards, the LEDs should be easily replaceable by anyone with the right tools.

I imagine we will start to see people get familiar with hot air stations and heating stations. I can do most surface mount stuff with that setup. It just takes patience and a different style. When I work on SMD, I get in the mindset of soaking the board with heat, not just the joints. You have to be more aware of temperature as well.

#263 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

In the comfort of a home setting or shop?

In the field in a dark bar on location?

My workbench, a very controlled environment. You need proper light and magnification to be efficient at it. (At least my eyes do!)

I imagine one of the new repair models will be to have spare boards, swap them out in the field, and repair boards back at a shop.

If I have to do something surface mount with more than a few pins, I use a preheater to soak the board up to a specific temp, then use the air station to push it up to the right temp for desoldering, then lift the chip off.

preheater.JPGpreheater.JPG
    #267 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Maybe being a tech at Modern has jaded me to a LED board system and daisy chained type circuits

Maybe the amount of play on Moderns machines are such an exception that its a moot point my concerns about repairability.

Time will tell and I hope my concerns will be laughed at and my job becomes a breeze with all new machines.

I hope things work out for the positive as well. I follow your daily failures at Modern through your posts, just because I think it's a treasure trove of real world failure modes. I think as time progresses we will see some lessons learned from the new systems and see how Stern/JJP compensate.

#269 9 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

I doubt anyone would want to hack a woz machine but it always possible to do so.

It's funny you say that, because I think as more posts get made about how secure a system is, the more attractive it becomes as a challenge.

#278 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Behold! Look how small a MOSFET can get... AND DESPAIR!
    HAHAHAHAHA!

IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg 100 KB

That I can solder.

It's the no-lead packages that give me fits. QFN and PQFN are two of my least favorite.

#287 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Any MANY different types of gum!

gum.jpg 66 KB

What IS this?!?! GUM FOR ANTS?!?!

1 week later
    #363 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Because I love my lot rover my to because lots weighs less. Roll eyes....

What in the fuck? LOL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.