(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 9 years ago

completely ignoring the theme, I think this could sell on the (cough! borrowed MMr technology.. cough!) alone. Seriously, between beaglebone running the whole thing on linux (cheap to replace, super reliable) and the reduction of wiring underneath, this should greatly reduce problems. Question is, will Stern pass that cost onto the consumers, or continue to raise prices?

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

In the end it's "which pro's does a designer value the most and which pains in the ass are they most willing to deal with"

1 week later
    #345 9 years ago

I was thinking about this last night.. Could there be more to this than just reducing wiring and increasing reliability? There seems to be only a couple data cables coming from the backbox, and then 48vdc power supply.
    If taking a playfield out only requires unplugging 3 connectors, could they be possibly allowing for a swappable populated playfield in the future? Imagine if instead of a vault edition, they create "the vault" system, not unlike what heighway pinball is doing. You buy a cabinet with the board/power supply installed, then buy your choice of populated playfield. Stern knows there are collectors out there who have simply run out of space (and not just buying Sterns, also the competition). That means selling off their old machines to make room, which potentially cuts into Stern's vault edition sales. Imagine if you as a collector invest in a "vault" cabinet, knowing you are simply going to buy the latest playfield. That reduces inventory of cabinets they have to stock, reduces shipping cost. Other than an extra 2 SKU's, I don't see why Stern wouldn't want to offer this (especially if they can upsell the playfield by itself).
    Now I'm not saying this as a complete replacement, half of sales still go to operators, and I'm sure there are some people that want the original cabinet, but I can see this as a possible option.

#374 9 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

I have the Wwe pro and from what I can tell
    stern is making them cheaper ( less in them)
    But not passing savings on to consumers

Less means cheaper to me

Again, they could be paying for R&D. Any place that I've worked, usually you have to justify making changes through cost savings (to pay both for the tooling, and your salary to design those changes). The only way we can sometimes get away with it without lower cost is if a tool is getting worn out, so as long as they're paying for a new tool why not make some improvements. Stern is also not making millions of units like many big companies are, so making big changes like this has a bigger impact. Let's also not forget that Stern is moving into their new building soon, which I'm sure is costing a pretty penny to fix up, build multiple production lines, etc. That money has to come from somewhere. Not that Stern isn't doing well, but they are spending some serious money these days. My only hope is that all that investment eventually gets paid off so that they can lower costs, but nothing is going to drive them to do so unless sales go down, or the competition offers something comparable at a better price (which is very difficult from a volume standpoint).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.