(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinBilly:

Flipper coil says FL-11722.

VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jp... 109 KB

YES!!!! how did everyone else miss this. Three lugs on the flipper!!!! Dual wound flippers, means no more Stern Flipper buzz!!!!!!!!

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It can't be just a PC supply. You need at least 25V - more likely 50V - for the coils and flippers.

Possibly two of them. Spooky Pinball uses a switching power supply with 5V and 12V to power the motherboard, lights, switches and has a second 48VDC switcher for the coils. Not sure if their sound amp is powered by 12V DC or 110VAC.

Moving from the large heavy (and probably expensive) transformer, plus their own power supplies on the driver boards, to two off the shelf switching power supplies has to be a huge cost savings for the new system. Plus it will drop 40 pounds off the total weight of the game.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from IBARAKURO:

I hate the pc ventilators...
    after a while it's always noise
    Very bad choise mr stern

I can't stand the fan sound in WOZ during attract mode. The fan winds up and down as the lamps pan across the pf.

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

The fans are not in any way tied to the function of the game and run at a steady pace at all times.

OK, if it's not the fan then it's this.

Quoted from John_I:

Not to mention the buzzing sound constantly coming from the speakers that is crosstalk from the poorly designed LED boards.

All I know is the buzz drives me nuts when I am working on someones games and a WOZ is on in the same room.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

No it's not that either.

Quoted from tamoore:

So, we know what it's not. What is it?

Pinchroma, please don't skip your answer this post. Please inform me to what it is so I can fix it.

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Hard to say what it is? I don't have a buzz on my game so it could be a number of things. Does the buzz come directly from the speakers? Does it occur at a specific time? I can tell you its definitely not fan related which was my post above because the fans run at a static speed so they aren't an issue.

There is a fairly loud buzz/whine that is always present, but you can hear it ramp up in pitch to the lamps in attract mode. Reminds me of a really bad grounds on system 11 machines only worse.
    To me it sounds like the fan on the power supply supply, slightly changing speed as the load on the power supply is changed.

#170 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I agree it sounds like there is something not properly grounded or something normally shielded is sitting on top of something HV. Can you verify a few things.
    1) The cover is on the chassis. I've seen people running with it open.
    2) Verify the audio amp connections are properly seated both amp side and speaker side.
    Only thing i can think about off the top of my head.

I'll take a look, but the game has had this since day 1 so I assumed that is how they all are.

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You don't lose your settings when replacing batteries as long as the pin is still plugged in when you do so.

you mean turned on, not just plugged in.

#329 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Sorry for another off-topic post, but... If it's the same as mine, it was not the fan, but noise coming through the speakers. I was able to minimize the noise on my game and DCFAN's by rerouting the cable that runs from the motherboard output to the amp input. Here's a link to the pictures of mine.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozecle-speakers-sound-tinny-buzzing#post-1887268
    DCFAN's required a slightly different route, so you'll likely have to play around with it to find a spot that gets rid of most of the buzz.
    Post edited by herg: Found a Pinside post I made with the pics

Here's a video from inside the WOZ.

There was a light buzz in the speakers but the majority of the noise is from the power supply fans and the change in pitch still sounds like it's coming from the fans.

tried moving the audio cable in your link but that didn't change the sound.

#350 9 years ago
    Quoted from ts4z:

Cheaper home pinballs have never worked out. Back in the '70s when pinball was king, Mattel, Bally, Wico all tried it, among others. If Bally couldn't do it in 1978, it's laughable to think that Stern could do it now.

Bally sold a shit ton of those home model pins. 4 different titles over 2 series.

Mr Pinball has the following approximate quantities

Fireball Home model 10,000
    Captain Fantastic 2,000
    Evel Knievel ?
    Galaxy Ranger ?

I have never seen a Galaxy Ranger and have only seen 2 Evel Knievels and 2 Captain Fantastics, but I have seen at least 30 Fireballs, and get a call at least once a month for either a repair or someone trying to sell one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.