(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

(cough! borrowed MMr technology.. cough!)

Technically Multimorphic did it first with P-ROC.

I saw some pinball boards designed by an industrial robotics engineer and the 16-coil driver board was the size of a pack of gum because he used SMT MOSFETs instead of the TO-220 we're used to. I guess from a repairable view that's a bad idea but he explained he put a ton of circuit protection in place so they never blow anymore, so using the replaceable package wasn't needed.

I guess this is how it's going.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wait. So in this picture, theres 2 clusters of bright-as-heck LEDs in action. Is that the backbox lighting? Just these two massive hotspots of light?

Based on the photos in the WWE thread it seems to get the job done.

#114 9 years ago

It can't be just a PC supply. You need at least 25V - more likely 50V - for the coils and flippers.

#158 9 years ago

As someone whose job is to create fault-tolerant server systems, I'm a bit taken back at the idea that they've created a fully serial network, or at least not provided failover paths.

From my perspective, having one more wire for bypass seems like a no-brainer, but perhaps I'm missing something. Cost reasons?

#192 9 years ago

In this case I'm sure the only time the card is written is when you update the firmware. Unless they're storing audits there. Hmm.

#228 9 years ago

If it's running Linux and has a network stack, it can be hacked and run a bitcoin miner.

The likelihood of it is very slim given the platform, especially if you have it hardened really well - signing code is good - but never underestimate the resourcefulness of hackers!

But the benefit of having the machines online far outweighs the risks. Imagine national high score tables!

#235 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Their desktop on the same network is going to be 4000000x easier to get to than the Linux box that has ZERO open ports and no remote access and also doesn't respond to icmp.

I agree, it's unlikely, but not zero percent.

I have a lot of experience running high value hacking targets that are under constant attack so I know it's possible to keep them out, but that involves constant updates and patches.

But, the risk/reward for a hacker is probably pretty low like you say. Bring on the internet pinballs!

#264 9 years ago

You'd swap out the board on-site and do the SMT work back at the shop. Why is that hard to understand?

Isn't it better you're not whipping out soldering irons on location? Trying to find a plug, waiting for it to heat up, awkwardly using the game next to it as a table... This seems like progress to me.

The only thing I'd worry about being obsolete and hard to get in 10-20 years is the SD card itself. I still keep an old DOS PC to use my EEPROM burner...

#284 9 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

Here's a 6-pin part with TWO FETs (and a beat-up dime).

How does that jive with your previous statement that the SMT FET had the same footprint as a TO-220 device?

Like I said, the 50V 16-solenoid driver I saw was the size of a pack of gum.

#319 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

327082.jpg 33 KB

They're sending 110AC to that board I take it? That's a lot of bridge rectifier and cap, and what looks like a voltage regulator. I guess to avoid having a more complicated and expensive power supply?

#341 9 years ago

Remember Gottlieb pop bumper boards?

#353 9 years ago

What are the sales numbers on The Pin?

#377 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

Its a company whose purpose is to make money. Stop complaining that they have cut costs, which makes them more likely to stay in business

Here's what a Stern game will look like in 2021 based on their cost-cutting trends.

stern-2021.pngstern-2021.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike?tu=jwilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.