(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

Stern
    Pinball
    Integrated
    Kinetic
    Engine

Sorry, love trying to figure these things out. lol

#21 9 years ago

Anyone notice that the battery holder is mounted vertically on the PCB so it sticks out and away from the PCB when mounted? Coin batteries aren't a huge leak risk anyways, but that was brilliant.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

So surface mount led's from here on out. So much for color matching your inserts.
    But the real question (and it's a rhetorical one), are they still putting 555's in the GI? I love watching those suckers flicker while I'm playing ST. Mmmm, mmm, tasty.
    Step 1) Remove plastics, remove lamp, bend pins, re-seat. Re-assemble plastic. Play a few games. Still flickers.
    Step 2) Remove plastics, remove lamp, add electrical tape, re-seat. Re-assemble plastics. Play a few games. Lamp pops out.
    Step 3) Remove plastics, remove lamp, bend pins some more, put some hot glue on there, re-seat. Re-assemble plastics. Play a few games. Sill flickers.
    Step 4) Remove plastics, remove lamp, remove crusted hot glue, bend pins again, add some electrical tape and hot glue the whole mess back into the socket. Re-assemble plastic. Play a few games. Still flickers.
    Step 5) Swear to God that you will *NEVER* buy another Stern game. Curse them to hell on Pinside and beg them to use 44's for the GI. Wait for next game to come out. Yep, still has 555's.

Feel free to drop it off at my house for a while bud lol.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

I couldn't really tell that WOZ was in stereo (unless wearing headphones) so that's secondary.

That's JJP's fault for there not being enough separation and too much being in the center channel IMO. DE Time Machine is in stereo and it felt obvious to me, but I'm sure that some audiophiles will chime in and say that at the distance to the backbox to ears it's not wide enough to be REALLY effective or something lol.

#110 9 years ago

God, is it just me, or does anyone else really hate these animated gifs where it's got the text on the bottom like a silent movie, but THE LOOP DOESN'T ACTUALLY SHOW WHAT'S TYPED DOWN THERE? GOD! /throwingstuff

For real..was it that hard to do the extra 1 second where he's saying "Life uh,"!?

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

I still do not like the LED board system starting with my first encounter with them in a ZIZZLE machine where once the LED on a board failed you could not simply replace the bad LED.

CAN'T, or wasn't convenient for you to do with your available tools that were designed to do through-hole soldering? There's a huge difference. People are going to have to play catch up and learn to work with SMT boards, and get the appropriate tools. It's inevitable. I know you're going to be of the opinion that ops and techs don't want to spend another 500 bucks on yet more tools just for one machine, but this is the present reality of technology. Through-hole has been on life support for YEARS.

SMT components are cheaper, more reliable, easier for manufacturers to use..it's not going away. I would place good bets on being able to find the appropriate SMT LED replacement in quantity for around 25 cents a pop. I found 100 5050 RGB @ 39.6 cents a piece from a hobby supplier. I would expect cheaper for non-rgb (doesn't seem like Stern made the full switch yet... /sigh) and for more bulk. The repair side in 5 years is going to be a non-issue once people actually develop the skills and start having the common parts on hand. Right now it's a mess because most of us DON'T have either, because we're stuck in La-la-land on old tech and haven't been forced to adapt.

The real question, like you pointed out, is "Does this system have a way around the serial LED issue?" I think a physical jumper pin would be awesome if they could implement that to allow the data to pass by the crapped led while making the system think that it's still functional, or have a way to disable it in software.

#161 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

has not been really tested in the Pinball environment so I wouldn't claim that it is just as or even more reliable.

It's been tested in automotive control systems for 20+ years, to the best of my knowledge. How many times have you had to pull your car computer out and reflow joints? I tried to do it once, it was laughable and didn't work, it was just bad components. Point is, I'm pretty sure the computer in my dashboard of my Civic is exposed to way more vibration, electrical noise, and temperature shock than any pinball board ever will be.

You're right about trying to do SMT in the middle of an arcade. It's not very feasible, short of having a spare board then taking the other one to the "shop" and fixing it. Were the LED issues on WOZ the fault of the LED components, or the volatge source/controller? Wondering the same thing about your AC/DC experience, but I would bet Stern isn't going to tell you, are they? =\

Clearly, these things have some kinks to be worked out, but ultimately, it's really hard to see it NOT being more reliable in the long run.

#167 9 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Cars are rarely on for 12-16 hrs a day.Thats how long they are on at Modern Pinball.If you were to drive or just turn your car on for that many hrs per day how do younthink it would perform.It would have failures just like pinball machines.

I delivered pizza full time for close to 6 years... never had a single computer-related failure with that car....my current car is pulling up on 200k miles, no computer issues..

It's not just the time in spans, it's cumulative. SMT *is* more reliable not just in theory, but in actual practice, than through-hole. The issues we are seeing with pinball-related SMT stuff isn't due to the nature of SMT, the issue is with the control systems that are running these components, like the drivers for the LEDs. SMT has nothing to do with the serial bus interface issues either. These things need to be address with ops, like Modern, to figure out how to get this symphony to play nice together, not to sound like a fourth grade class. We're not there yet.

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

Fun fact, I am legally compelled to thumbs up ANY MST3k reference.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.