(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg
    There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 9 years ago

here's a ces 2015 news clip about stern going forward...

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=525172

#352 9 years ago

From what I've heard The Pin isn't a flop. It's just not aimed at the collector market, we're not the audience. And hey, maybe it ends up being a "gateway drug".

#353 9 years ago

What are the sales numbers on The Pin?

#354 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

What are the sales numbers on The Pin?

Stern does not release any sales numbers.

#355 9 years ago

I would like to see a parts price list of replacement parts for SPIKE.

#356 9 years ago

According to gamespot the new system took out the 20 pounds power supply and replaced it with a 5 lbs alternate. A lot less wiring estimated 2 pounds, less boards 10 pounds, no metal apron 3 pounds.

So that's at least a 40 pounds savings at a minimum comparing to let's say early 2000 era stern games.

*/////// GAMESPOT REVIEW BELOW -- GAME OF THRONES MAYBE??? MMMMM////*
    As well gamespot said they have been told that the next games will most likely see "dragons, swords and boobs"

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/pinball-s-glorious-revival-ces-2015/2300-6422988/

#357 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

Makes sense. Williams P2K tried to do it, Highway is doing it, Multimorphic is doing it. It makes sense Stern would consider this as a future for the industry.
    Another indication would be to see Stern playfields with full length support brackets, that allow a populated playfield to be safely pulled out all of the way and placed on a flat surface, like P2K has. They could start putting them on new machines to test before officially announcing it.

I designed a FAST Frame/Rail system a couple years ago to enable swapping games in a cabinet and allow you to do away with a rotisserie when working on them outside of the cabinet. It has been on The back burner while we finished up our new pinball control hardware. Interest has been strong and increasing so we will be producing them for others later this year. There are some posts about it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood/page/2#post-2119558

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#358 9 years ago

If I could buy a Stern SPIKE system game and then down the track buy a populated playfield, translite and cabinet decals to switch to a new game, I'd be a happy man.....too much to ask?

#359 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

According to gamespot the new system took out the 20 pounds power supply and replaced it with a 5 lbs alternate. A lot less wiring estimated 2 pounds, less boards 10 pounds, no metal apron 3 pounds.

So that's at least a 40 pounds savings at a minimum comparing to let's say early 2000 era stern games.

Wow. That is actually a very big deal!

#360 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

less boards 10 pounds

I think this is a little exaggerated....

#361 9 years ago

Maybe a little bit hehe. I'm just glad games are getting lighter! Forgot the brackets replacing the lock mech.

#362 9 years ago

Because I love my lotr over my tz because it weighs less. Roll eyes....

Weight is nice but not something to swoon over

#363 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Because I love my lot rover my to because lots weighs less. Roll eyes....

What in the fuck? LOL

#364 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What in the fuck? LOL

Ack stupid autocorrect hates game acronyms

#365 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

5+ years ago it was laughable to think anyone would spend $8-9k on a pinball machine...

It's still laughable...

#366 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's still laughable...

True dat. I did stretch myself to past $7k on my METLE though, and I never thought I'd go there.

#367 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

From what I've heard The Pin isn't a flop. It's just not aimed at the collector market, we're not the audience. And hey, maybe it ends up being a "gateway drug".

I'd agree. I asked the sales people at 2 stores (where I was working on their game) and they have sold WAY more than I would have guessed. And they sold them last year too and they continue to let them use floor space today.

#368 9 years ago
    Quoted from michiganpinball:

I'd agree. I asked the sales people at 2 stores (where I was working on their game) and they have sold WAY more than I would have guessed. And they sold them last year too and they continue to let them use floor space today.

what kind of place was selling them out of curiosity?

#369 9 years ago
    Quoted from michiganpinball:

They're for people with money who have a game room. The kind that walk in and say "I want a pool table, and give me that anniversary edition Ms Pac-Man Galaga, my kids will love that. Oh, and you have pinball? Rad, I'll take that too. Put it on the American Express."

They're not pinheads. They have an electronic dart board that gets used twice a year. The game room is really a "man cave" that people drink beer in and hang out. And hey, a pinball machine, they still make those? Cool.

#370 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

They're for people with money who have a game room. The kind that walk in and say "I want a pool table, and give me that anniversary edition Ms Pac-Man Galaga, my kids will love that. Oh, and you have pinball? Rad, I'll take that too. Put it on the American Express."
    They're not pinheads. They have an electronic dart board that gets used twice a year. The game room is really a "man cave" that people drink beer in and hang out. And hey, a pinball machine, they still make those? Cool.

Well said.

I always wanted to find one so I could play it and see what it is like. Very curious.

#371 9 years ago

Id play a "the pin" If I ever saw one... Hell if it was a good/fun game i wouldnt hesitate to buy for a good price. But the prices ive seen are out of the world way too high. And goodness they are ugly...

I think they ought to lower the price, make the cabinet/backbox look less cheap and more like a mini pinball... and sell them in more visible places....

Maybe it would get the target demographic down from stupid filthy rich that just figure "eh, why not throw in a pin for the summer home.." Better to target the "doing well" peeps with 2 or 3 kids that want some family activities. Theyd be willing to spend about the same as a week family vaca to have family time at home...

Im thinking $2000 ish, an attractive cabinet design, and get 5 or 10 of them in every sams/costco.

#372 9 years ago

There will be One at the Arcade Expo
    This weekend , Avengers

#373 9 years ago

I have the Wwe pro and from what I can tell
    stern is making them cheaper ( less in them)
    But not passing savings on to consumers

Less means cheaper to me

#374 9 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

I have the Wwe pro and from what I can tell
    stern is making them cheaper ( less in them)
    But not passing savings on to consumers

Less means cheaper to me

Again, they could be paying for R&D. Any place that I've worked, usually you have to justify making changes through cost savings (to pay both for the tooling, and your salary to design those changes). The only way we can sometimes get away with it without lower cost is if a tool is getting worn out, so as long as they're paying for a new tool why not make some improvements. Stern is also not making millions of units like many big companies are, so making big changes like this has a bigger impact. Let's also not forget that Stern is moving into their new building soon, which I'm sure is costing a pretty penny to fix up, build multiple production lines, etc. That money has to come from somewhere. Not that Stern isn't doing well, but they are spending some serious money these days. My only hope is that all that investment eventually gets paid off so that they can lower costs, but nothing is going to drive them to do so unless sales go down, or the competition offers something comparable at a better price (which is very difficult from a volume standpoint).

#375 9 years ago

New tooling yes...but you also have to account for tools that they have used for decades...like the dimple press from Williams! that machine has been dimpling playfields for the last + 30 years! They don;t make them like they use to i guess Everything toyotaboy said is logical...but I'm sure some of that money is riding the gravy train

#376 9 years ago

Its a company whose purpose is to make money. Stop complaining that they have cut costs, which makes them more likely to stay in business, and gives them more leeway to increase quality without increasing prices when needs dictate.

Shesh.

#377 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

Its a company whose purpose is to make money. Stop complaining that they have cut costs, which makes them more likely to stay in business

Here's what a Stern game will look like in 2021 based on their cost-cutting trends.

stern-2021.pngstern-2021.png

#378 9 years ago

Deposit sent!

#379 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

what kind of place was selling them out of curiosity?

All State Billiards. Its a gameroom/man cave supply store. There are a few around here.

There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.