(Topic ID: 114530)

Stern's new platform titled 'Spike'

By flynnibus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg
    There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Did anybody save the high resolution photo from that thread? Pinside's database seems to have lost it.

This isn't as high res as you'd like but its a bit better....
    http://pinballhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Stern-TF-Board1-e1353514177753.jpg

#52 9 years ago

Anyone got pics of the driver board yet?

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Anyone got pics of the driver board yet?

It doesn't sound like 'one driver board' exists... but rather addressable boards that may be more specialized/segmented

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from pninja005:

Cool.. Linux platform.. If necessary we can finish the code ourselves

Nope unfortunately that doesn't mean that at all. Linux != Source Code.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This was in the boardset 2 years ago when we saw the first boards of "the pin", along with hdmi, vga, network and sdcard.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sam-20

I've Been doing it longer then that

#56 9 years ago

I'll guess it's the same as 'the pin' but i haven't seen those either.

#57 9 years ago

I didnt see this posted, but heres a YT video of a pinch of info as well

#58 9 years ago

This is interesting:
    " using modular design that relies on a profusion of LED lights and four computers connected by standard CAT5 cables"

4 computers? We know there is one in the head ... do they consider the underplayfield driver boards computers or are they "networked"?

#59 9 years ago

This is interesting:
    " using modular design that relies on a profusion of LED lights and four computers connected by standard CAT5 cables"
    4 computers? We know there is one in the head ... do they consider the underplayfield driver boards computers or are they "networked"?

My guess is they are counting driver boards. I am highly doubtful there are networked in the Ethernet / IP sense.

#60 9 years ago

This is interesting:

I think that's just lay translation/marketing muddying things up. By 'computers' they probably just mean 'processors' and they'd be on a shared serial bus for inter-communication.

Imagine a platform processor... a video processor... a switch I/O processor.. etc

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Wonder if future models will utilize a full color LCD in the backbox? -I didn't see this mentioned in the WWE LE announcement.

No, their first offering will feature a Black and White LCD. Full Color will only be available in the LE titles.

#62 9 years ago

I've worked on games running "spike beta" aka "The Pin" system. It has a lot going for it and will mean big changes for service. Replace instead of repair will probably be the norm. The multiple driver board architecture is similar to what mmr is doing. Game code is on a insertable compact flash card. The impact to ease of manufacturing and ability to outsource sub assemblies will be significant IMO.

Some may not like the change but this is a logical and necessary transition me thinks. Smart.

#63 9 years ago

'The new technology reduces product complexity and simplifies manufacturing'

Ah! Good to hear.

Wrestling pin 500$ more then twd?

#64 9 years ago

This is interesting:

I'm pretty sure they're using CAN over CAT5 to talk to their modular driver boards. This is exactly what we've been doing with the P-ROC and PDBs for a couple of years now, except we're just using the RS-485 physical layer with a proprietary protocol running faster with less overhead (8mbps vs 1mbps), and we're not using CAT5. "computers" is likely a label for the microcontrollers that provide the CAN stack and interface functionality. It's nice to see they got rid of the "flex" cables from their 'The Pin' trials.

I'm actually surprised at their choice for SMT FETs. The large SMT FETs take up more board space than their through-hole counterparts and force most customers into replacing vs repairing bad boards. This is less of an issue if their protection circuitry eliminates most failures, though that remains TBD.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

I'm actually surprised at their choice for SMT FETs. The large SMT FETs take up more board space than their through-hole counterparts and force most customers into replacing vs repairing bad boards. This is less of an issue if their protection circuitry eliminates most failures, though that remains TBD.

But, if mounted vertically to save board space, the through hole component is more likely to break off due to vibration than an SMT would.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from michiganpinball:

Game code is on a insertable compact flash card.

Is the code actually played directly off the SD card in real time? If so are we going to require certain speeds of SD cards, or is the read speed of the average modern SD cards so high it's a non-issue?

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wait. So in this picture, theres 2 clusters of bright-as-heck LEDs in action. Is that the backbox lighting? Just these two massive hotspots of light?

the link of the CES video sows 2 really bad hotspots for the lights.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

But, if mounted vertically to save board space, the through hole component is more likely to break off due to vibration than an SMT would.

Not at all.

Neither SMT nor through-hole are really susceptible to vibration-induced failures when installed properly. The only real reasons to go SMT vs TH for these commonly replaced parts are for potential cost savings (component costs and MFG costs). Given that the boards have other TH components on them (ie TH connectors), the MFG costs are minimal (the boards likely go through a solder wave regardless), and the SMT FETs probably aren't any cheaper than the TH ones.

There's nothing wrong with using SMT parts. In fact, most parts *should* be SMT. I'm just surprised they went SMT with the FETs.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#69 9 years ago

And Spike Lee sues in 3...2...1......

#70 9 years ago

The new system looks like a great step forward, any idea if the boot up times will be different from SAM?

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from Flack:

LOTR VE would be awesome on the SPIKE systems, especially with the upgraded sound

Have a feeling it will be Tron since they already did a second limited run of LOTR, but still with the new tech. Yummay!

#72 9 years ago

spike!.jpgspike!.jpg

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Is the code actually played directly off the SD card in real time? If so are we going to require certain speeds of SD cards, or is the read speed of the average modern SD cards so high it's a non-issue?

They would load relevant stuff into RAM memory. SD doesn't replace memory the processor and I/O uses, just the offboard storage. Its the video stuff one would have to be worried about for storage... no so much game code or audio.

Even (by today's standards) slow SD cards can read in the 6 megaBYTE/sec range. With modern stuff being 45megabyte/sec and up.

#74 9 years ago

Modular is ok as long as the boards are independent of each other.

In the AC/DC at Modern Pinball NYC one board is out and it takes out 3 others as they are daisy chained similar to JJP LED boards.

One major problem is that the particular AC/DC board has been back ordered from Stern for the last 2 months. In other words the game is really out due to one board.

Board mount LEDs are also a problem as one led out means having to replace an entire board.

Not the ideal solution for owners or operators this only helps the MFGs.

Sockets for LEDs on boards is really the best way to go as far as game lighting.

Not sure if Modern will be getting the new Spike based game soon but if and when we do lets see how the system holds up in there.

#75 9 years ago

Less wiring than a Ford Falcon.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

The new system looks like a great step forward, any idea if the boot up times will be different from SAM?

How much does that really matter?

It's probably gonna decompress and load a kernel... than it's various drivers. That all takes time, but one shouldn't expect anything that would be a hurdle.

Add into that any power up self-tests the game would likely do.. and its probably all worth it.

#77 9 years ago

Any rumors regarding network connectivity? Add some wifi and join online tournaments sort of thing?

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Any rumors regarding network connectivity? Add some wifi and join online tournaments sort of thing?

That would be pretty sweet with a built in Wifi connection to link to your router. Ultimate global competitions from your gaming den.

#79 9 years ago

Back to the drawing board for our power taps.

#80 9 years ago

Guess I just make a mute button for the tournament hole lol

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from Laseriffic:

Back to the drawing board for our power taps.

I think it'll be OK. Probably save some money over the large 15 pin taps.

I made 40,000 hand solder joints last year. I wouldn't mind reducing that some

#82 9 years ago

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Modular is ok as long as the boards are independent of each other.
    In the AC/DC at Modern Pinball NYC one board is out and it takes out 3 others as they are daisy chained similar to JJP LED boards.
    One major problem is that the particular AC/DC board has been back ordered from Stern for the last 2 months. In other words the game is really out due to one board.

This is the issue. An ACDC i looked at 18 months or so ago to repair had this system, and there was one fault, and due to the fact they were all daisy chained, everything was taken out.

2014-03-01 11.02.51.jpg2014-03-01 11.02.51.jpg
    #84 9 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

» YouTube video

Here is a snag from the vid. A few interesting visual things I am seeing. There is a bonus count like the EM early SS machines. Same with the Bonus multiplier. That's interesting.

The two curve returns look very minimal. If they are stil rigid and don't allow balls falling off, I'm in favor of that.

The right ramp looks like it has a ladder decal. Wonder if that one will drop the ball into the ring somehow as opposed to just rolling it into the side.

I'm excited to see the underside/rest of the electonics. Harness making at the scale Stern does it seemed like a very timely process. Subbing the segments out to CAT5 looking cables and connecting them that way is probably a huge time saver in manufacturing compared to fully harnessed machines. Geek mode activated...

WM PF pic.jpgWM PF pic.jpg

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

The two curve returns look very minimal. If they are stil rigid and don't allow balls falling off, I'm in favor of that.

The other thing I noticed RE: wireforms is that I don't think the ball will stop at the end to 'drop' into the inlane. Due to the two-wire track, it's seemingly more a free-flow setup.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#86 9 years ago

The other thing I noticed RE: wireforms is that I don't think the ball stops at the end to drop into the inlane, it's seemingly a free-flow setup.

Capture.JPG 60 KB

If the ball builds up enough speed it will hit the end of the wireform. The 2 wires look more spread apart than other rails so the speed may be slown down a bit.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Subbing the segments out to CAT5 looking cables and connecting them that way is probably a huge time saver in manufacturing compared to fully harnessed machines. Geek mode activated...

What the design does is change from lots of 'one big, daisy chaining wire' to lots of smaller harnesses.

The cat5 bus really just eliminates the bulk of the long hauls and cuts down on the daisy chaining. It cuts down on wire usage.. but increases the # of components and connectors.

You still gotta connect from your driver pins to the solenoids, from your switches to the headers, etc.

Think lots of small cables... instead of your really long christmas string of lights. Integrating things onto shared boards (like the LEDs on the big playfield boards) is where you really cut down on cabling.

The harnesses will be simpler to construct... they'll cut down on bulk wire usage.. and it should be easier to debug these circuits easier.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

If the ball builds up enough speed it will hit the end of the wireform. The 2 wires look more spread apart than other rails so the speed may be slown down a bit.

I thought that too at first, but if it builds that much speed (which I doubt based on these things seemingly feeding from a stopped ball off the upper PF) I would think the ball would occasionally fall off the wireform either due to inertia (as I've seen happen on something like WoZ) or by impact at the end of the wireform, both which would be unacceptable imo. I think the ball falls right off the end as though that end loop isn't even there. Interested to see.

But as I type this I realize this is the SPIKE thread and this has nothing to do with that. So I shall stop the digression here

#89 9 years ago

The other thing I noticed RE: wireforms is that I don't think the ball will stop at the end to 'drop' into the inlane. Due to the two-wire track, it's seemingly more a free-flow setup.

Capture.JPG 60 KB

I was thinking that a ramp with no end, or one that deflected the ball down (but not slowing it much) would make for a very quick inlane return. Almost like what you get in High Speed or Monopoly with the habitrails that return in front of the sling with nothing slowing the ball down. Something for the fast action junkies.

Quoted from flynnibus:

What the design does is change from lots of 'one big, daisy chaining wire' to lots of smaller harnesses.
    The cat5 bus really just eliminates the bulk of the long hauls and cuts down on the daisy chaining. It cuts down on wire usage.. but increases the # of components and connectors.
    You still gotta connect from your driver pins to the solenoids, from your switches to the headers, etc.
    Think lots of small cables... instead of your really long christmas string of lights. Integrating things onto shared boards (like the LEDs on the big playfield boards) is where you really cut down on cabling.
    The harnesses will be simpler to construct... they'll cut down on bulk wire usage.. and it should be easier to debug these circuits easier.

These all sound like good things to me.

#90 9 years ago

nobody talks about the fan?

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from IBARAKURO:

nobody talks about the fan?

In the one photo, it almost looked like a PC-style power supply was mounted in the backbox. No idea what was up with that, since other pictures lacked it.

#92 9 years ago

I hate the pc ventilators...
    after a while it's always noise
    Very bad choise mr stern

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from Flack:

LOTR VE would be awesome on the SPIKE systems, especially with the upgraded sound

I wonder if the new SPIKE system emulates both SAM and Whitestar which would make it easier to reproduce the entire Stern catalogue of games?

#94 9 years ago

It's PC based, so this means it will have fans installed?

That can't be a good thing.

Edit: what Ibarakuru said.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's PC based, so this means it will have fans installed?
    That can't be a good thing.
    Edit: what Ibarakuru said.

Just a power supply. Normal for those to have fans. I doubt it will be any kind of issue. Only time it will be running is when the game is active, and pinballs are a hell of a lot louder than a fan, even without the speakers cranked.

#96 9 years ago

This only reinforces how important it is to skip this title and wait for the next one. Bad theme, new technology, better wait to see how many bugs need to be worked out. If it was a good theme, maybe I'd want to be a guinea pig for the new tech. For WWE... not a chance.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

Do we know what SPIKE actually stands for? Assuming Stern Pinball something something something

Stern Pinball Initially Knowingly Excites Everyone!!

Chad

#98 9 years ago

Stern
    Pinball
    Incorporated's
    Killer
    Electronics

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from YKpinballer:

This only reinforces how important it is to skip this title and wait for the next one. Bad theme, new technology, better wait to see how many bugs need to be worked out. If it was a good theme, maybe I'd want to be a guinea pig for the new tech. For WWE... not a chance.

It's like how WPT was introduced as the first game on the SAM board system. Another game with an unpopular theme and hideous art package.

#100 9 years ago

Flipper coil says FL-11722.

VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpgVERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg

Post edited by pinBilly: credit to o-din

There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-platform-titled-spike/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.