4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 379 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by michiganpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stern-2021.png
    1970780_10152014511073240_354021286_n.jpg
    WP_20141216_17_53_30_Pro.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    327082.jpg
    pindriver.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    gum.jpg
    2015-01-07 14.05.26.jpg
    IMG_20150107_133451874.jpg
    preheater.JPG
    VERGE2015-01-04_07-21-08CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-17CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-42-46CES.0.jpg
    VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg
    20150103_131804.jpg

There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 4 years ago

The yahoo news article covering the WWE game references Stern's new platform which I assume they are launching at CES as well

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stern-pinball-ready-rumble-150000003.html

WWE Wrestlemania is the first pinball machine to feature Stern's recently announced SPIKETM electronics hardware system. The new technology reduces product complexity and simplifies manufacturing, resulting in more reliable and easier-to-service games. SPIKETM is both modular and scalable, accommodating and supporting future designs. Players will quickly appreciate higher quality sound, enhanced illumination effects and a more engaging overall game experience

#2 4 years ago

I saw that in the Press release, im actually more excited to see the hardware in the backbox than the actual game..

Was this the rumored hardware that Stern was testing in an AC/DC

#3 4 years ago

Do we know what SPIKE actually stands for? Assuming Stern Pinball something something something

#4 4 years ago

and it still has a dmd

#5 4 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10152976555619244:0

Stern Pinball Debuts New SPIKETM Pinball System World’s Leading Maker of Arcade-Quality Pinball Games

Announces Next-Generation Pinball System

MELROSE PARK, IL – January 5, 2015 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, announced today that it will debut its newest pinball electronics system, SPIKETM, at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. SPIKETM is a modern, scalable and modular electronics hardware system engineered for the rigors and complexities of pinball applications.

“The modular nature of the system will allow game designers to embrace new technologies to evolve the game of pinball while also improving earnings, reliability, serviceability and efficiency,” said George Gomez, Executive Vice President of Product Development at Stern Pinball.

The new SPIKETM system is based on distributed processor architecture and an industrial grade network protocol. These technologies reduce product complexity and simplify the manufacturing of the game resulting in a more efficient, reliable and easier-to-service game. The system is designed to facilitate integration of various display technologies such as varying size LCD displays both on the playfield and in the backbox. The scalable nature of the system allows for the integration of Wi-Fi and numerous new game specific features and technologies.

Experienced players will recognize a more engaging overall game experience and quickly appreciate the enhanced illumination effects and higher quality sound.

“SPIKE is the latest step in our ongoing program to leverage technological advancements to improve the game for all segments of our customer base,” said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball. “Commercial customers such as operators and location owners will be particularly well served by SPIKE.”
    New SPIKETM system benefits and features include:

Improved earnings:

• All LED lighting enables enhanced lighting effects, increases reliability and attracts new players. Included is the florescent light replacement by LED’s, which last longer, run cooler and draw less electricity.
    • A new modern CPU and expanded memory allow the designers greater freedom to create new compelling game scenarios to attract more players and lengthen their engagement.
    • A more powerful high definition digital sound system enhances the game experience.
    Higher reliability
    • New built-in automotive-grade circuit protection for LEDs, switches and solenoids reduces circuit failures from accidental shorts and environmental faults.
    • Lower game heat reduces stress on components increasing longevity.
    Easier serviceability
    • Low-cost game modules are easy for any technician to replace and costly circuit board repair is eliminated.
    • Reduced wiring complexity eases troubleshooting and worn component replacement.
    • Improved system diagnostics make the system easy to learn.
    Greater efficiency
    • Reduced chances of failure from environmental conditions with robust solenoid, switch and lighting protection circuitry.
    • SPIKETM system games use less energy than older models and generate less heat during operation.
    • New controllable LED artwork backlighting reduces fade, saves energy and lasts longer.

#6 4 years ago

Stern
    Pinball
    Integrated
    Kinetic
    Engine

Sorry, love trying to figure these things out. lol

#7 4 years ago

Sounds like Spike is going to allow operators to easily swap stuff out, rather than have to repair on site

#8 4 years ago

The Verge video shows a bit of the underside of the playfield..

you can see connected PCB boards on some of the brackets and on the PF itself.

http://www.theverge.com/video/2015/1/5/7493233/modern-pinball-machines-linux-wrestlemania-ces

Looks like addressable boards vs one big driver board. Also looks like modern surface mount stuff. Maybe we are being moved to the 'replace the board...' vs 'repair the board' model.

#9 4 years ago

From Stern's FB.

10896395_10152976555224244_3247528011798151240_o[1].jpg

#10 4 years ago

Their press release shows TWD with it. I'm glad they still have dmd's! adding an lcd backglass or pf lcd is great, but I love that dmd.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Sounds like Spike is going to allow operators to easily swap stuff out, rather than have to repair on site

This is double edged...

The same could have been said of the old design too.. simply swap the major boards.

The new design may have smaller boards (so should be cheaper in theory)... but it leads to the question...

Will the boards be uniform and what kind of availability would they have? The advantage of a large driver board in a reusable platform is you have a unit you can be assured will be available in spares and for some time. The more unique a part is, the higher the cost and greater risk of limited availability.

A tradeoff of 'cheaper parts' -- as long as they are available.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

From Stern's FB.

10896395_10152976555224244_32475... 70 KB

Where do we put the USB stick!?!

#13 4 years ago

From the PR on new features

New SPIKETM system benefits and features include:
    Improved earnings:
    • All LED lighting enables enhanced lighting effects, increases reliability and attracts new players. Included is the florescent light replacement by LED’s, which last longer, run cooler and draw less electricity.
    • A new modern CPU and expanded memory allow the designers greater freedom to create new compelling game scenarios to attract more players and lengthen their engagement.
    • A more powerful high definition digital sound system enhances the game experience.
    Higher reliability
    • New built-in automotive-grade circuit protection for LEDs, switches and solenoids reduces circuit failures from accidental shorts and environmental faults.
    • Lower game heat reduces stress on components increasing longevity.
    Easier serviceability
    • Low-cost game modules are easy for any technician to replace and costly circuit board repair is eliminated.
    • Reduced wiring complexity eases troubleshooting and worn component replacement.
    • Improved system diagnostics make the system easy to learn.
    Greater efficiency
    • Reduced chances of failure from environmental conditions with robust solenoid, switch and lighting protection circuitry.
    • SPIKETM system games use less energy than older models and generate less heat during operation.
    • New controllable LED artwork backlighting reduces fade, saves energy and lasts longer.

So bus system... and built in burnout/blown path protection supposedly

#14 4 years ago

This game actually has me excited the future I actually want to play it now

#15 4 years ago

Bet pinball browser type editing has been worked out of the system.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

The system is designed to facilitate integration of various display technologies such as varying size LCD displays both on the playfield and in the backbox. The scalable nature of the system allows for the integration of Wi-Fi and numerous new game specific features and technologies.

Sounds like it supports a backbox LCD as well. Wonder if future models will utilize a full color LCD in the backbox? -I didn't see this mentioned in the WWE LE announcement.

#17 4 years ago

This system will drive a 5.7 inch LCD for the LE of WWE. I'm sure this is a test for future LCD integration to replace DMD using SPIKE

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Sounds like it supports a backbox LCD as well. Wonder if future models will utilize a full color LCD in the backbox? -I didn't see this mentioned in the WWE LE announcement.

They leave the door open without saying they will do it one way or the other. Clearly they built the system to allow it... the question is, which direction will they go? Sounds like the display board would just be another module on the bus... so their display technologies are open ended.

I'm sure the main board probably has a HDMI right on it for build/debug type stuff... but they could leave game display to another board too. Sounds like its a matter of 'what they chose' vs constraints or not.

#19 4 years ago

No LCD back box for WWE, however the LE version will have a 5.7" LCD at the top of the playfield. It's just a matter of time before we see them in a back box I think.

I'm not excited by the title itself. However, with the new technology and applications about to become available I think this could be a very good thing, def. a step in the right direction. I think I'm gonna give this thing a shot later this year after I check out the game play first.

#20 4 years ago

I did a full 180 on this. Still not the theme for me but man does it have some nice toys and metal ramps. This just in, $500 less than TWD.

#21 4 years ago

Anyone notice that the battery holder is mounted vertically on the PCB so it sticks out and away from the PCB when mounted? Coin batteries aren't a huge leak risk anyways, but that was brilliant.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

[sarcasm] Oooooh, deeper games with better code! LOL

I wonder if this is why certain features on recent Premium/LE games aren't implemented yet?[/sarcasm]

#23 4 years ago

So surface mount led's from here on out. So much for color matching your inserts.
    But the real question (and it's a rhetorical one), are they still putting 555's in the GI? I love watching those suckers flicker while I'm playing ST. Mmmm, mmm, tasty.

Step 1) Remove plastics, remove lamp, bend pins, re-seat. Re-assemble plastic. Play a few games. Still flickers.
    Step 2) Remove plastics, remove lamp, add electrical tape, re-seat. Re-assemble plastics. Play a few games. Lamp pops out.
    Step 3) Remove plastics, remove lamp, bend pins some more, put some hot glue on there, re-seat. Re-assemble plastics. Play a few games. Sill flickers.
    Step 4) Remove plastics, remove lamp, remove crusted hot glue, bend pins again, add some electrical tape and hot glue the whole mess back into the socket. Re-assemble plastic. Play a few games. Still flickers.
    Step 5) Swear to God that you will *NEVER* buy another Stern game. Curse them to hell on Pinside and beg them to use 44's for the GI. Wait for next game to come out. Yep, still has 555's.

#24 4 years ago

I feel like there is something missing in their pictures... or all the electronics just spread out over the underside of the playfield in different modules?

#25 4 years ago

Waiting for the follow up system, DOORKNOB.

Seriously, if it makes the games cheaper, Im all for it. I'm worried about the replacement cost factor of it all in the long run.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

So surface mount led's from here on out. So much for color matching your inserts.
    But the real question (and it's a rhetorical one), are they still putting 555's in the GI? I love watching those suckers flicker while I'm playing ST. Mmmm, mmm, tasty.
    Step 1) Remove plastics, remove lamp, bend pins, re-seat. Re-assemble plastic. Play a few games. Still flickers.
    Step 2) Remove plastics, remove lamp, add electrical tape, re-seat. Re-assemble plastics. Play a few games. Lamp pops out.
    Step 3) Remove plastics, remove lamp, bend pins some more, put some hot glue on there, re-seat. Re-assemble plastics. Play a few games. Sill flickers.
    Step 4) Remove plastics, remove lamp, remove crusted hot glue, bend pins again, add some electrical tape and hot glue the whole mess back into the socket. Re-assemble plastic. Play a few games. Still flickers.
    Step 5) Swear to God that you will *NEVER* buy another Stern game. Curse them to hell on Pinside and beg them to use 44's for the GI. Wait for next game to come out. Yep, still has 555's.

Feel free to drop it off at my house for a while bud lol.

#27 4 years ago

completely ignoring the theme, I think this could sell on the (cough! borrowed MMr technology.. cough!) alone. Seriously, between beaglebone running the whole thing on linux (cheap to replace, super reliable) and the reduction of wiring underneath, this should greatly reduce problems. Question is, will Stern pass that cost onto the consumers, or continue to raise prices?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Where do we put the USB stick!?!

Bottom mid right looks like two usb ports.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Question is, will Stern pass that cost onto the consumers, or continue to raise prices?

Looks like prices are being reduced....

#30 4 years ago

does that mean price will go down?

** same question, sorry **

#31 4 years ago

This was the best thing Stern offered at CES, it's nice to see they moved into sub 2k electronics finally.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

does that mean price will go down?

No, it means Stern's margins will go up.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Feel free to drop it off at my house for a while bud lol.

Ha ha, yep, it's killing me! I think I'm down to just one lamp that wants to be erratic. Still can't figure out why 44's are a no no. They at least put them under the slings but the whole game shakes. I have noticed though with 44 LED's that sometimes the clear cap separates from the base when twisting. Maybe that factors into the decision to use 555's, who knows.

I am glad they've upgraded the sound. Would love 44K sampling. I couldn't really tell that WOZ was in stereo (unless wearing headphones) so that's secondary.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Question is, will Stern pass that cost onto the consumers, or continue to raise prices?

This may be the year that Stern drops prices if for no other reason than to undercut the competition and force them out of the marketplace. Who would seriously want to pay $9K for a Hobbit or $8K for a MMR if you could buy a Stern Pro for $4200 or a Stern Premium for $6K and get the game right away. A couple years of pricing like this would force the competition to either drop prices or leave the market.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

(cough! borrowed MMr technology.. cough!)

Technically Multimorphic did it first with P-ROC.

I saw some pinball boards designed by an industrial robotics engineer and the 16-coil driver board was the size of a pack of gum because he used SMT MOSFETs instead of the TO-220 we're used to. I guess from a repairable view that's a bad idea but he explained he put a ton of circuit protection in place so they never blow anymore, so using the replaceable package wasn't needed.

I guess this is how it's going.

#36 4 years ago

Is that an SD card i see?

VERGE2015-01-04_08-43-27CES.0.jpg

#37 4 years ago

Guess I'll have to make a new headphone jack system for future sterns

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Wait. So in this picture, theres 2 clusters of bright-as-heck LEDs in action. Is that the backbox lighting? Just these two massive hotspots of light?

#39 4 years ago

Cool.. Linux platform.. If necessary we can finish the code ourselves

#40 4 years ago

Sounds like a modder could re route the playfield led feed to a custom back box full size led.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

I couldn't really tell that WOZ was in stereo (unless wearing headphones) so that's secondary.

That's JJP's fault for there not being enough separation and too much being in the center channel IMO. DE Time Machine is in stereo and it felt obvious to me, but I'm sure that some audiophiles will chime in and say that at the distance to the backbox to ears it's not wide enough to be REALLY effective or something lol.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

completely ignoring the theme, I think this could sell on the (cough! borrowed MMr technology.. cough!) alone. Seriously, between beaglebone running the whole thing on linux (cheap to replace, super reliable) and the reduction of wiring underneath, this should greatly reduce problems. Question is, will Stern pass that cost onto the consumers, or continue to raise prices?

Who said a beaglebone is running the SPIKE board?

#43 4 years ago

Guess stern liked my stuff they built a headphone jack into the game

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wait. So in this picture, theres 2 clusters of bright-as-heck LEDs in action. Is that the backbox lighting? Just these two massive hotspots of light?

that's what i was wondering also.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Based on the photos in the WWE thread it seems to get the job done.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Guess stern liked my stuff they built a headphone jack into the game

This was in the boardset 2 years ago when we saw the first boards of "the pin", along with hdmi, vga, network and sdcard.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sam-20

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Yup - cheap fast storage

#48 4 years ago

Did anybody save the high resolution photo from that thread? Pinside's database seems to have lost it.

#49 4 years ago

It sounds like Stern also figured out how to give a level of protection to the solenoid and switch circuitry, which is a really good step forward with the move to SMD.

#50 4 years ago

LOTR VE would be awesome on the SPIKE systems, especially with the upgraded sound

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 218.00
    $ 30.00
    $ 12.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 209.99
    $ 90.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside