Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spelunk71.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#695 7 years ago

Marco also sells Stern/Data East leg bolt plates. Would these be better suited for GB than the B/W version?

#724 7 years ago

So the left front of my GB Prem cabinet is starting to split, much like many of the others posted. I've had the game for about six weeks. Has anyone contacted Stern about this? I'm curious what they are saying (or not saying) at this point.

IMG_5299 (resized).JPGIMG_5299 (resized).JPG

IMG_5300 (resized).JPGIMG_5300 (resized).JPG

#726 7 years ago

The credit card extends the warranty, but I'm not sure if the bare bones Stern warranty even texhnically covers cabinet damage like this (though like the crappy playfields, Stern will have to address this somehow). I'll definitely explore the options.

#734 7 years ago

If that's all it takes, and it doesn't get any worse down the road, I guess that's ok but the quality is disappointing. I still think everyone with this issue should call Stern so they are aware of the extent of the problem and that buyers are not happy--even if it can be corrected. Who knows, maybe they will send out some sort of kit that would fix it better than my DIY attempt.

I love this game, and will give Stern a chance to make things right with existing problems and improve quality going forward, but I will definitely give a closer look at the other companies for my second pin--especially with all the good choices coming out soon.

#843 7 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

These cracks are not due owner error. I have teflon gliders on berber carpet - you can move the pins very easily. I've only been to play these 2 new Stern's about 16 days since new as they are at my beach house - most of that 16 days I've been getting ready for the rental season and only playing once in a while. Less than 100 plays on each GB and AS and both have 1 cracked corner on each. I've E:mailed Stern with no reply. My situation is what it is and I'll fix this myself. I only want Stern to acknowledge the problem and fix it for future buyers.

I was told that my cabinet issue would be passed on to the higher-ups for review. I understand the process may take some time for them to figure out what to do. Because my game is perfectly playable and does not seem to be further disintegrating by the day, I'm willing to hang tight (unlike the cabinet!) and wait a bit for a decent resolution--as long as the issue is eventually resolved.

#846 7 years ago

Luckily, I'm pretty healthy, so the odds are against them.

#879 7 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Thanks so much! My blood work looks good - going for bone marrow check this coming Wednesday.

Best of luck to you! I have a feeling you have many more pins in your future.

#1006 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

We really didn't hear of this issue with BM66 or even early GB. My GB and AS with problems were built only a few weeks
    apart - Feb/March. Stern changed something at this time or the cabinet maker made changes.
    AS # 266863 GB # 264865

My GB was manufactured in Dec. 2016 and has started to split on the left side--though not as bad (yet) as others. The decals do not wrap around the cab corners.

#1059 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you don't know what is driving pricing then you are a Moron. What's driving pricing is the amount that people are willing to pay. Every company out there sells their products for what people are willing to pay for them. It's pretty simple, if you think pinball machines are too high then don't buy NIB machines, buy used instead and quit F'ing crying about it.
    As far as Sterns quality goes, I have bought four machines in the past year and a half and haven't had any issues of any kind yet and I play the hell out of my games. The cabinets definitely aren't as solid and rugged as older games, I will give you that but they certainly aren't falling apart either by any means. For the people that are having problems, yeah that sucks and I feel bad for them....especially the ones like me that take care of their games. What you don't know is though, is how many of these games actually have factory defects, how many of them were bounced around in shipping, and how they have been treated by the owners. I believe that most of these are not the owners fault for sure, but there are some people who treat their games rough as shit and don't think there isn't. Some people could f*ck up a steel ball.

Sure, pricing is set based on what the market will bear, but part of that could be based on perceived expenses--such as licensing costs. If companies imply costs are rising because of increased licensing fees, and that is not actually the case, people may be deciding what they are willing to pay based on false information. I have no idea if this type of market manipulation is going on, but it is certainly a valid area of discussion--particularly when an authority like Roger Sharpe seems to debunk assumptions about licensing costs.

As to your NIB experience, that's great, but I think the point is that it's a crap shoot. I'm enjoying the hell out of my GB Prem. It was largely ok out of the box, but it took me a few weeks to tweak things and now the cabinet is beginning to split. This is disappointing and is unfortunately consistent with the experience if many others on here and my dealer. I treat the game gently, and I'm guessing that folks with the interest to post on Pinside generally do as well. Hell, aren't these things supposed to be commercial vending equipment able to withstand a beating? While I agree Stern has been releasing some great playing games, I don't understand why you are you so resistant to others calling them out on quality issues just because you have been lucky so far.

2 weeks later
    #1332 6 years ago

I fixed (hopefully) the hairline crack on the top front left corner of my GB with wood glue, the B/W brackets, and touch up paint. I did just notice, though, a hairline crack towards the bottom of that corner when I took the leg off. There also seems to be a bit of minor separation on the wood on the underside of the cab leading up to the corner on the left side. I added some glue in those areas (including where there is missing wood), but gravity is bitch when dealing with the cab bottom.

Any idea if the glue and leg brace would arrest separation on the bottom corners as well as the top?

2 weeks later
    #1618 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sanfordpk:

I added the B/W braces to my Aerosmith LE. I have a shaker motor installed and over 500 plays, no sign of any splitting.

I also installed the B/W braces to my GB after the left front cab started to split a few weeks ago. I also added extra glue to the open areas. It seems fine now, but I may have used sheet metal screws on the braces (see earlier post), so I guess I'm still f---ed.

11 months later
    #2127 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's what I don't understand, my Star Wars LE cabinet is reinforced from Stern. Why go through the process of designing that, only to use it on 1 game?

Maybe they thought the Force would reinforce the cabinets after Star Wars.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spelunk71.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.