Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#522 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The solution is now obvious:
    >- Stern will have to stop using wrap around decals. -<
    Cabinet corners have ALWAYS split (well, at least since the dawn of Pinball).
    But now that the decals wrap around, even the slightest hairline movement will telegraph through the decal; splitting it and becoming **Pinside DecalGate**.
    Stern even took the extra effort to change the cab joints from Lockmiter to Lockcap in order to move the seam off of the corner, but that only moves the seam, not preventing the movement of the joint.
    It might be time to get rid of fragile decals altogether - and go back to silkscreen cabs.

Yeah I thought this too... I wonder if every pic example of the problem has the wrap around decals? I'm too lazy to go back through the thread to check.

I bet somebody will though...

oops forgot about the thread "image gallery"... very handy

#592 6 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

Off topic a bit, but that I would add my experience with plastic protectors. I had read many times they will cause issues. My experience is mixed.
    I had those type of protectors installed on a "restored" No Fear where decals were replaced and, yes, the protectors caused an issue in that case. However with my HUO TSPP, it came with the plastic protectors. I set it up and meant to remove them. Never did until last week. It had the plastic protectors for at least the last 5 years. It's HUO and when I removed them, the decals are perfect. No issues at all.
    I think the plastics protectors cause issues where the cab decals are replaced, but with properly installed, factory decals, they are fine. At least that's my experience.

TSPP didn't use decals. Cab is screen printed in Stern's fugly ultra-low res quality. That's why there are no wrinkles.

#863 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I just reached out to gary stern and got this back as a response
    "j.m.,
    if you move the plumb bob up as far as you can without the game tilting (see image below), this should [help] alleviate any future potential cabinet splitting. thanks for writing and keep on flipping!

- gary"

There ya go... problem solved!

#889 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Vid is right, no matter what kind of glue you use it has to have something to hold onto.
    There are some amazing glues now in the autobody repair business but even they need a rough or porous surface to adhere to

So you sand the area and remove the paint before gluing. Spray it black afterwards.

#892 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Something about doing that and also HAVING to do that to a multi-thousand dollar one year old game (or less) seems very sad to me. Very unfortunate.

Absolutely agree.

#944 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Rock solid right out of the box!

Don't worry. According to that Op your fears are irrational and it's your fault for putting the legs on too loosely

#999 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

8-Bit Arcade's (Renton, WA) Aerosmith Pro.

Well that will certainly make the Op want to keep buying Stern machines...

1 week later
    #1229 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

I just played my As with the cracked (but fixed) corner. Great machine and really a great balance of all the things we like in a pinball machine. I hope Stern will fix the corner issue but damn, this in is really good pin. I rarely play anything else now.

Happy honeymoon!

3 months later
    #1922 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

It seems that Stern has implemented a "fix" for the cabinet corner joints. See what I found on this new Star Wars? It's a metal corner bracket.

Guess they realized this is cheaper than having to send out an entire new cab to the occasional unhappy customer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.