Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 7 years ago

Cabinet corner seam pics are the new insert ghosting check pics!

I haven't seen any Stern cabs falling apart but there's absolutely no doubt they are much lighter and flimsier than ever before. I can't believe how light my WWE feels and I've had to tighten up the tilt to keep my idiot friends from throwing it around.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

I really doubting quality of these machines these days?

I don't know, are you?

#394 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

How often should a person check? Once a week, month? What would be appropriate? Thank you again for any help.

Every hour on the hour.

1 week later
    #1005 7 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Information is a tool of the masses. Suppressing information is the work of elitists.

More populist claptrap from the lower classes. Commoners who don't enlighten their Pan Bagnat with Grey Poupon can't be expected to understand the complexities of this issue.

Let them reinforce cabinets!

#1026 7 years ago
    Quoted from tayamo:

Hey Everyone, Let me ask a question. I didn't see anyone mention it, but has anyone complained about problems with cabinets from Jersey Jack or Spooky? Anyone having issues with their cabinets?

These games are all perfect in every way and nobody ever has any complaints about them.

#1072 7 years ago

I have a WWE. The location I service games at has an Aero, Kiss, Metallica, and GB (all late model). All the cabs look fine (with the legs on). But hey it's NYC, maybe they are sticking you guys in the sticks with all the bum cabs.

#1074 7 years ago

Sorry it doesn't work that way. Every hate thread gets love interlopers and every love thread gets hate interlopers. I mean, where were you when unwanted gottlieb love kept seeping into my beloved street fighter 2 hate thread?!

It's the circle of life.

#1203 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

This sounds like the auto industry back in the 70's. Bad QC and the little guys got a foot hold and became the major players.

This is such a horrible cargument.

The "little guys" were gigantic Japanese corporations with huge factories and distribution networks. Not dudes building cars out of their garages or churning out 1 car a week in small understaffed "factories"

There is not currently a single other pinball manufacturer in any kind of position to seize the market from Stern.

#1205 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

The usual chorus from the 'Stern Army' is getting really boring.

You know what else is getting boring?

The never ending deluge of carguments trying to frame pinball QC in terms of the auto industry. We get it. Cars.

People answering "which game should I buy?" Threads with "stern quality issues!"

People answering "stern game prediction" threads with "there will be ghosting!" "Humor."

People blowing stern QC issues way out of proportions while conviently ignoring those of other manufacturers, while pretending Williams games were all trouble free right out of the box.

People continuing to bitch about stern prices while ignoring the fact that they are still significantly cheaper than the competition.

People pretending there is an actual competitor to Stern, who stil has a stranglehold on the vast majority of the market.

So yes, there is lots of boring, repetitive stuff around here these days

#1207 6 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

This sounds so similar to the reaction to the iPhone - I think Steve Ballmer said almost the same exact thing!

Yeah, cause Samsung makes 4 phones a week out of their garage.

Phonegument is clearly apples and oranges.

Or wait, do I have this wrong and you are saying apple was the tiny, precocious upstart? Either way this makes no sense at all. Please reframe using cars.

#1217 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"You know what else is getting boring?
    The never ending deluge of carguments trying to frame pinball QC in terms of the auto industry. We get it. Cars.
    People answering "which game should I buy?" Threads with "stern quality issues!"
    People answering "stern game prediction" threads with "there will be ghosting!" "Humor."
    People blowing stern QC issues way out of proportions while conviently ignoring those of other manufacturers, while pretending Williams
    games were all trouble free right out of the box.
    People continuing to bitch about stern prices while ignoring the fact that they are still significantly cheaper than the competition.
    People pretending there is an actual competitor to Stern, who stil has a stranglehold on the vast majority of the market.
    So yes, there is lots of boring, repetitive stuff around here these days"
    The STERN BULLIES are running rampant all over Pinside.
    Especially the ones that just can't stand to hear anything POSITIVE about their experience with Stern and try and bully that down.

You owe me a buck!

1 week later
    #1329 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

If your supports look like those on the right get replacements as soon as you can.
    Stern having only one complaint is BS. I personally complained (in a nice way) about the joints on my AS then a week later when GB split.

They are really using those EM-style cabinet bolt plates?!

I didn't think anybody had used those in new pins since the 1980s.

#1335 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You just haven't been paying attention. Those little things have been on since forever.

You are right, I haven't! Surprised, those W/B braces are so great, I've used them to repair EM cabinets. But Stern has been in the cost cutting biz since the DE days so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

#1340 6 years ago

most Old USA-made cabinets only fall apart if they get wet or are dropped repeatedly and harshly. Sometimes on 40-50 year old cabs you need to replace the cabinet bolt plates but those cost like 5 bucks (after all those years they get stripped sometimes).

#1404 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, all the competition will really help to keep the prices down too. Ohhhhhhh .... wait ...
    rd

"Competition is good for pinball" is something that gets repeated endlessly without anybody actually thinking about it.

1 week later
    #1640 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

LMFAO.
    One of my issues is...simply...it is happening more than it should. And although some are quick to say who has no skin in the game, this matters to me because a guy offered to trade in his BM66 to the shop the other day, but it has cab separation and some pretty serious cratering on the playfield. I didn't want to lowball him on the trade in value, it has less than 360 plays on it. But as Ice said, people in this hobby are fickle, and those "issues" would definitely affect the resale value to most hobbyists, and that's just something I don't want to deal with...whether I reinforce the cabinet with brackets or not. He wanted a few hundred less than what he paid NIB, so I just didn't take the game. Sad though, I would have liked to have gotten it.

Would you have paid his asking price if the game didn't have cabinet issues?

#1658 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The head is a big nothing.
    Back during the 70s EM-SS transition, all us operators were waiting for when the head would shrink down (no longer needing room for all the score reels), but it never did.
    Pinball was very conservative, the manufacturers were always worried about changing something and spooking the ops.

They just got bigger. I can't believe how obnoxiously huge the heads on the first bunch of System 11 games are. I also can't believe how gigantic and heavy those System 3 gottlieb games are.

Why....WHY?! You can't even fit a System 3 in some SUVs, they are too tall.

5 months later
    #2004 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Has this issue been solved by Stern? Have anyone had any issues with new games splitting?

I helped someone unbox a brand new metallica pro last night. Game is flawless in every way and required zero adjustments out of the box. Plays perfectly.

#2025 6 years ago

That's an old picture and irrelevant.

There have been no new relevant posts here in months, which leads me to believe it hasn't been an issue for months.

#2028 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Here's a shot I found-

Here's a shot I found:

Naturally, we should all avoid large ships.

titanic_sinking_tw (resized).jpgtitanic_sinking_tw (resized).jpg

#2033 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is that a new picture, or one from a few months ago...

It's a shot I found!

#2036 6 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. So that photo is from the exact period this thread began, and people were posting all the horror pics. So again...really no sign of continuing problems on that front, and nothing new. Perhaps this thread can now die again until someone else checks in a few months from now to ask about what's going on with Stern's cabinets.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.