Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

probably happened in shipping or at the manufacturer

My guess would be shipping also.

#72 7 years ago

wow!!! This thread is making me not want to buy a new Stern ever again. Does anyone know the exact games that the cabs were not made by CGC?

#180 7 years ago

Oh damn! Just check my MET PRO and has a small split at top of left side. Add me to the list. My LOTR looks great though.

#191 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I think it would be useful to determine just how long this has been an issue. What is the date on that Met Pro ?

I think it was 2014 wood backbox. Game is on carpet with carpet sliders under all my games so the move easily.

#313 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Show me HUNDREDS (that would be more than 200) of KISS, GOT, Aerosmith that have split cabinets. You can't.

No one has to show 200. They only need to show 1. Because 1 is all it takes if that 1 is the game you own. The difference between back then and now is people are spending a small fortune on a game to place in there home as a show piece. I've glued about 2 dozen older game corners back together so know you are correct that it's nothing new. I'm guessing at least half of the pinball community was never around when B/W games were still new so this is probably a shock to many.

#343 7 years ago

Stern doesn't hold a candle to this baby!!! Flat joint stapled from the sides. Bally/Midway Kings of Steel. Need to fix to get this up for sale soon.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#418 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Jesus....Stern really needs a new carpenter.

I thought Jesus was a carpenter?

#422 7 years ago

For the noobs, Most people on here that buys a new stern ends up spending at least a grand on MODing their game with fancy toys and lights. Right? And everyone is complaining about a few simple MODIFICATIONS that need done to actually make your game better. Yes back in the days we said the whole word and modifying a new game meant bulletproofing it for location operation. And there were many. If you like Stern and want the game you need to realize you will have to bullet prof it right out of the box. Put playfield protectors and cliffy's on. Cabinet corner supports and anything else needed. It's not going to get much better unless they have a very high damage rate. Keep in mind although Stern does cater to the home market. There biggest sales are still for the operators.

#456 7 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

I checked my Tron, Star Trek and Metallica and they are fine. I can't see how anyone could trust the recent builds and buy a NIB. But then again pinball guys are not the sharpest tools in the shed, present company included.

jkashani I thought you sold your Tron?

#488 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Caster cups have been used for years with no problems.

One of the first things I learned from fellow operators when I got into this back in the 90's was not to put rubber cups on the feet of pins. The more secure the feet are the greater the chance of bending legs and cracking cab corners. I was always told to use carpet squares upside down so the pin could move a little,reducing stress to the legs.

#498 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Doesn't it depend on the type of castor cups?
    I have them on all my games to protect floor.
    But, because I want to move them easily they are all have felt on the bottom so they slide real easily. And on carpet they are the 'carpet sliders' so they also glide like a hot knife through butter.
    So, I guess they are ok?

Yes, you are correct. Felt is what you want. Since everyone was saying rubber bottom I assumed that was what you meant. The idea is to not make your legs stick to the floor.

#543 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It does not take a degree in engineering to understand....

Come on Vid! You should already know everyone on Pinside has a degree in engineering.

#675 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Now there are just about forty thousand.

Forty thousand and it's the same 40 to 50 people posting in all the threads.

1 week later
    #1008 7 years ago

MET PRO built date June 2014. Left side starting to split with tear in wrap around decals.

#1013 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Is it possible the folks having problems didn't tighten the legs appropriately?
    Maybe emerald Ash borer compromised the wood?

It's more probable that there is a manufacturing issue. Glue, wood, assembly or design. I always tighten my leg bolts extremely tight. My LOTR sitting fight beside my Met is perfect.

#1093 6 years ago

My MET Pro June 2014 HUO
    You can see it just starting to to crack and the decal is ripped a little. I'm the third owner. The brush burn on the corner was from game sliding into my van set when brining it home. So don't know if that contributed to the crack or not.

IMG_3544 (resized).JPGIMG_3544 (resized).JPG

#1099 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Doesn't look bad at all but to play it safe put the HD leg braces on ASAP.

Just got the HD mounts in the mail yesterday. Putting them on before my league buddies come over to play.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

That cabinet does not look like it's splitting to me?

It sure looks split to me. Maybe I'm just nervous and the little rip in the decal happened when the game slid in my minivan. Believe me, I've beet myself up a dozen times for not strapping it down.

#1110 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I love that time when a new game becomes... just one of your games. You stop babying it and just play the snot out of it. It gets dirty, shop it, and play on. Good times.

Usually that's about the time another new game comes through the door.

2 weeks later
    #1413 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Wow. I was just getting ready to throw down a deposit on the AFMR. I think I'm going to just buy the old one.
    I know it's probably a cost issue but it seems like they should have just stayed with the old faithful 45 degree lock mitre.

Afmr isn't the ones with the problem. It the new Stern cabs.

#1514 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I only took the time to type this because I care, and I'm really looking for a MET right now. These issues have some bearing on my hesitation to buy now.

Don't hesitate on the MET. one of the best Stern games out there.
    PS. No you can't buy my MET. Don't ask.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=arcademojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.