Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1912 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I'm not a pinball tech.
    If I do it myself & something goes awry then who is to blame? Who is fixing the new problem?
    What if I drop the PF, scratch up the cabinet, short out something & burn up a board, etc? I'd have to relo the coin door, boards, PF, backbox & so on.
    I'm an understanding guy & happy to let Stern fix their own problems but I'm not doing the job of a pinball tech or factory worker.

What game is it?

#1914 6 years ago

SPIKE games look fairly easy to swap over. There's only 1 board in the cabinet. Playfield has a couple molex connectors to disconnect.

1 week later
    #1934 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

No metal cabinet braces.
    I haven't fully inspected the cabinet for issues yet but here are a few pics.

Does the decal in the front have 2 holes on the top for where the bolt would go through?

IMG_2564 (resized).JPGIMG_2564 (resized).JPG

#1949 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

From what I see I'd have to install a coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.
    Wait, first I have to take apart a coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.
    Then I get to hope I dont damage the coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.
    I wouldn't call it ready to go on a consumer level. Should be easy for a tech however.

It's a lot easier than you realize.

#1952 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Some people are not comfortable doing mechanical work like this. And his point that he shouldn't have to, and that there is no upside is true. Personally I'd have started doing it immediately, because I agree with you, it's a pretty easy task. But not everyone works like that.

On a SAM game, it is easier than the older games, but it's still a pain in the ass. Doing my Spider-Man VE play field swap was annoying.

But with the SPIKE games, it has been greatly simplified. To take a playfield out, it's just a couple molex connectors in the cabinet. In the backbox, there's very few wires going down to the cabinet.

I see it this way, the people who are putting our games together are not highly skilled laborers. I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do, just not that they do doesn't require a high skill set.

If PW lived near me, I'd take a Saturday afternoon and help him out.

8 months later
    #2126 5 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

Agree people will keep buying, so file a warranty claim for a replacement. They have been honoring replacements. So, if they have enough warranty claims they will then, at least, add brackets. (Similar to ghosting issues - they did not want all this playfield swaps continuing).
    By the way, if you need a spare cabinet here you go - it is looking for a good home!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/63893

Here's what I don't understand, my Star Wars LE cabinet is reinforced from Stern. Why go through the process of designing that, only to use it on 1 game?

9 months later
    #2130 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hesitate to post...MunstersLE has plywood bottom, extra bracing, and seems to be the most solid Stern I've seen in memory...does Iron Maiden have the plywood, etc.? Sucks to see this pic...

Can you post pics for everyone to see?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=Trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.