Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#755 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Is there any difference between the DE/SEGA/Stern braces compared to the Bally/Williams ones?

I too am wondering about the difference. Looks like PinballLife carries the Bally/Williams style and their pricing is better than Marco. Marco carries both styles. Here are some links:

Bally/Williams http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=144
    Bally/Williams http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11400-1
    DE/Sega/Stern http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-7394-00

From the pictures it is easy to see that the Bally/Williams style is a "taller" bracket, so it would mount to the cabinet over a larger surface area. I have some of the Bally/Williams style brackets I purchased at Chicago Expo a few years ago, but I'm not sure what vendor they are from. I did a quick "test fit" of the Bally/Williams style on Metallica and here is what I found. First, look at the bracket picture and you'll see that there is a portion of the bracket that doesn't have any leg bolt holes, I'll call that end the "extended" end. On the right side front the bracket could be mounted with the extended end either up or down. On the left side front the bracket could only be mounted with the extended end down due to the positioning of the tournament switch above the leg bracket. There is lots of room when mounting the bracket on the right side front, but you'll have to work around wires and such when mounting on the left side front (but looks doable).

One thing I do notice is that when the Bally/Williams style bracket is held in position for mounting (so the flanges on both sides against the cabinet), the back side of the bracket does not touch the triangle piece of wood on which the factory bracket is originally mounted. Maybe 1/8" gap there? Would that be an issue using this style of bracket in a Stern game?

The DE/Sega/Stern brackets are not as tall as the Bally/Williams style, so it would be a bit easier to mount this style on the front left side working around the wiring bundles and such as it would not extend as low into the cabinet corner. I don't know how the "fit" (gap between back and triangle piece of wood) compares to the Bally/Williams style. Perhaps someone that has installed this style could tell us?

Comments anyone?

Not sure what other differences there might be that I can't see from the pictures.

#757 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

The B/W version work perfect on my GB.

Thanks, nice picture of installed B/W leg brackets.

One thing I do notice when doing a "test fit" on my pin is that when the Bally/Williams style bracket is held in position for mounting (so the flanges on both sides against the cabinet), the back side of the bracket does not touch the triangle piece of wood on which the factory bracket is originally mounted. Maybe 1/8" gap there? Would that be an issue using this style of bracket in a Stern game?

Also, when you installed your brackets, did you tighten the leg bolts and then install the screws that secure the bracket to the cabinet? Or did you just loosely install the leg bolts to snug up the bracket to the sides, then install the securing screws and after that tighten the leg bolts?

#774 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Put the HD braces on and you never will.

Do you have a picture of those HD braces on? Looks a bit cluttered in the cabinet near the top where those would go, yeah?

#847 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

One picture on page 14 and another on 15.

I asked "Do you have a picture of those HD braces on? Looks a bit cluttered in the cabinet near the top where those would go, yeah?" and you replied as above. My confusion was about "HD braces". I see you meant the heavy duty leg brackets, and yes I do see the nice pictures you posted of those installed. I was also thinking you were referencing the Home Depot (also HD) braces someone else mentioned for installation near the top of the cabinet, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Heavy-Duty-Corner-Brace-2-Pack-15442/202034088. I wasn't quite sure how those additional Home Depot braces could be fit in near the top of the cabinet with everything else that is already in that area.

#853 6 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

I'm gonna try these braces for the area near the top. But honestly I'm worried that Sterns shitty cabinets won't hold the screws tight for the long term.

Do you really see room to install these near the top???

1 year later
    #2121 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

With corner brackets being AS CHEAP AS THEY ARE

What corner brackets would you use? And doesn't it get kind of tight in there for corner brackets around the start button and flipper button?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=RoyF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.