Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#585 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Your buddy's GB decals are going to wrinkle like crazy with those type of "protectors". Why are those installed? Use the stand off protectors that Stern provides.

Forgive me if somebody already brought this up, but are most of the splitting cabinets on newer sterns that have the stand off protectors? From an engineering point of view, it would seem that the old style (or old style with plastic protectors underneath) would be flush up against the cabinet and provide more structure or help to prevent movement of the corners by locking everything together (even if only slightly). I realize the bolts are further down, but with a gap between the legs and the cabinet face, doesn't it make more sense that flex would be more likely to occur?

3 weeks later
    #1317 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I did purchase the last GB premium CoinTaker currently has in stock. The game was made about 3 weeks ago. I'm still debating if it would be worth it to again delay and get an even newer built game in 2-3 more weeks.

This thread started about 4 1/2 weeks ago. Seems too close to comfort for me. I know what I'd do. Wait til I know for sure that Stern has addressed the cabinet issues, hopefully with updated miters in the corner but at a minimum with updated leg brackets.

#1331 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

When ya do bring some friends.

Sounds like another great reason (among many) for me to become one of Les's friends!!

#1387 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I do not advocate this testing process.
    » YouTube video

Great video (even if a bit poor quality). I'm guessing someone at Stern saw this and said to themselves... "Now we have video proof that there is plenty of margin for cost savings, since cabinets are clearly being over-built these days."

3 months later
    #1967 6 years ago
    Quoted from chucksmith:

... if some in the Minneapolis area asked for my help to switch out a cabinet, I'd be happy to help.

Well, I'm closer to St Cloud... and I don't have a cabinet to switch out, but I do have an IJ (Wms) I'd like to restore and start with new decals for the cabinet. When is good for you and what do you like on your pizza?

2 months later
    #2055 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

...I refuse to use rubber feet casters on any new Stern game so it can move a bit easier when players nudge (less stress put on cabinet).

Wow. This is a pinball machine. Not a delicate piece of china. This just floors me that any pinball machine would need to be treated with kid gloves. Don’t get me wrong. If any of my friends were to rage tilt on one of my pins, they’d be asked to leave immediately. But a little nudging and slapping, even with rubber feet (or on carpet like my basement) should not be a problem we should be working around.

Quoted from sparechange1974:

You could actually hear the wood cracking when I was putting the leg bolts in.

I can’t blame you for being out on NIB Stern for now. I’m hoping they get their act together for GOTG.

#2058 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm all for nudging but I think doing so with rubber feet casters doesn't allow the game to move at all which results in uncessary stress on the cabinet. For most games this isn't an issue...with the latest Sterns I'm not taking a chance.

Please let me be clear... I have ZERO issue with you taking these precautions. I just am sad that the quality of machines has gotten to the point where we must do this.

My first pin I acquired 12 years ago was a routed Fish Tales and built like a tank. You could drop it 3 feet from the back of a pickup (ask me how I know) and it would show zero signs that anything had happened. Try that with sparechange1974 recent AS cabinet and you would have kindling.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=Pinzap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.