Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mike_J.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Here a nice looking one - not Stern but how Stern should be doing the corner

Nice, but no shot of seeing that on a Stern.

#229 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

Maybe this is a supplier quality or production issue, but it should be addressed.

It should be addressed, but it won't be addressed.

Make sure you have videos ready illustrating why you deserve a Stern Star Wars Super Duper Limited Edition.
    15K for the crap cabinet and play field version
    20K for a game like Stern used to build in 2010 (Vaseline sold separately)

#250 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Before i set up my AS i will be putting corners braces & Williams leg plates on the machine.

Maybe Stern will add these items to the Stern Shop as a package for $199.95 plus shipping.

#328 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Today's games are 3-10X the price and are being marketed not only to operators but home owner collectors that don't want there shit falling apart within weeks. People have a right to be concerned or upset.

Today, Stern turns out 5K-15K pieces of shit.

Amazing that these schmucks in Stern management do not address any of this.

#357 6 years ago

You should only buy these machines with an Amex card so that you have some recourse.

Don't fall for the 3-4% wire/cash discount because it sure as hell isn't worth it.

#361 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I ask you for help and nothing I ask Stern to make it right and nothing. This is what has been going on and it is ridiculous. Please stay the fu@k out of here if your going to make some bullshit claim.

Yep, when it comes to larger scale issues (expensive for Stern), you need to have an attorney or the attorney general on your side.

#372 6 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

no.
    i think most just want decent quality... for their hard earned.

Then they shouldn't buy a new Stern pinball machine.

#375 6 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

im good with Stern.. up to ACDC. : P

I am as well.

I really want to buy an AS LE for my brother in law and an AS Pro for me, but I don't have the time or inclination to deal with Stern's apathy if something major goes wrong.

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I have a MET pro from April 7th 2015 and the playfield is chipping away and the head decals are rolling off. I filled a claim with distributor included pictures of damage, the plays, serial #. I have filled 3 times and no help and it's been almost 2 years. I felt I have done everything right and wanted help. Maybe there is a magic password or something. I have got to the point where I'm frustrated. I have put down Mylar and Cliffys to stop any further damage and it still continues. I understand if I had gotten help I would feel different and let others know. Maybe that is your situation and why I asked for help. I like their games and want to own them, but I can't spend $7k and not be able to play it without it falling apart. I understand it's pinball and some things you need to adjust and tweek and some things you should not.

You have done nothing wrong.

Put simply, your repairs/replacement is too expensive for Stern to bother rectifying unlike Iceman's inexpensive turn table repair.

#392 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

How often should a person check? Once a week, month? What would be appropriate? Thank you again for any help.

Two years?

Jesus Christ, you're a saint.

#406 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ranting like a 2 yr old and threatening class action law suits is a joke

I think you are confusing ranting like a 2 year old with Stern having done nothing in 2 years to help their customer (Buzz).

#432 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

FWIW - the local bowling alley has a good array of recent STERN pinball machines. TWD, GB, GOT, ST, and Aerosmith. Aerosmith's cab is split on the right hand side all the way down to the leg. The others are just fine.
    These games get plenty of play (and abuse). Seems to me there is definitely something going on if a brand new game is breaking up compared to games that have been beat on for a few years.

There is no question that there is an issue.

I just checked a few of my late model Sterns and none of them have any cabinet issues, peeling decals or defective playfields. I am going to check the rest later tonight.

None of these machines have any issues -
    AC/DC Premium
    Avengers Hulk
    IM - Original
    Metallica Premium
    Shrek
    BBH
    Spiderman
    FG
    Sopranos
    TSPP
    TRS
    Mustang

#434 6 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I am in the UK and have had two problems with Stern games. I rang Chas and both issues were dealt with promptly and at Stern's expense. I cannot fault their customer service when you speak with them directly.

If it's a small, inexpensive issue for Stern to handle you will be covered.

If it's something big, forget about it.

#445 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

This whole discussion is so weird. Pinball is so lost in the past. When did mankind learn to interlock corners, probable ancient egypt or some shit. Yet still pinballers make excuses and act like it's costly or complicated to make a box with a partially open top. Stern fucked this up and it's laughable.

You got it.

Some of these other posters must be on the payroll.

#461 6 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

$8500 Ghostbusters LE at Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor, MI.

Stern keeps on churning out crap.

#597 6 years ago

Stern, when will you get your act together?

Simply, you charge too much money for this crap.

#613 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

They got what they paid for, but don't buy a Chevette, when you want a Cadillac.

A Chevette? You're giving Stern too much credit.

#725 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

So the left front of my GB Prem cabinet is starting to split, much like many of the others posted. I've had the game for about six weeks. Has anyone contacted Stern about this? I'm curious what they are saying (or not saying) at this point.

Shocking that anyone would try to justify this as normal wear and tear.

Hopefully, you paid for the machine with a credit card. Now would be a good time to contact them.

#750 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

I called Chas and sent him pics while we were on the phone. He said they will review it and let me know within a week. It's been 5 days and I haven't heard anything back yet. Will give them a couple more days and follow-up.

Typically, you have to give Stern 2 years before there may, or may not, be a resolution.

#845 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

How long ago did you notify them? Did they give you a window of time when you should hear something back?

Based upon other's past experiences, he should hear back from Stern in 2 years.

Stern is probably hoping the buyer will drop dead within that 2 year window.

#857 6 years ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

can you pre drill the hole and puts some wood glue in there and then the screw? might help....or the pre drill may make it weaker.....but without pre drilling you could split the wood...

Incredibly sad, but don't worry about it Stern.

You should be working on creating your next video contest to see which schmucks will have the right to drill holes in their new Star Wars Super Duper LE.

#956 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Looks like I'll be getting an Alien for my next game.

Good call.

You would have to have absolute shit for brains to buy a NIB from Stern today.

#974 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Dude, wtf is your problem. It's a non stop bash fest on your part. Who has shit for brains?

My problem is with Stern.

I have no issue with you or any of the other good folks on this site.

#1043 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Kind of funny how you know so much about current stern games but you don't even own any. All you are is a F'ing Troll dude that don't know jack sh*t that is on here just to start a bunch of BS. If you had a game with a bad cabinet that would be one thing for you to be on here running your mouth but you don't so why should anyone take you serious or care about anything that you have to say?

Do you believe the Earth is round?

#1135 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wow I say Rocks cabinet being split when he unboxed it is unacceptable and that he should get a new game immediately and I get 8 down votes, are you F'ing kidding me?? What a bunch of assholes you people are!

You were probably down voted because no one believes the damage was the result of shipping/transport.

However, you probably knew that already.

#1179 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

I just checked - $30.49 for 4 B/W corner braces from Pinball life. The screws (stainless) were 27 cents apiece - 12 are needed per game

Send the bill to Stern.

1 week later
    #1295 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

No way that is Stern's quality issues, looks like that game is on carpet, or dropped in shipping, or nudged too hard, or abused, or or or or

Probably termites.

#1330 6 years ago

A family in my neighborhood has a GB Premium with a hairline crack on the front of the cabinet. This machine has all polished chrome hardware so I thought there was a chance that they may have overtightened, but the tension seemed OK to me.

The good news is that there was no ghosting on the playfield.

#1371 6 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

After seeing this, when I inspect a Stern pin I am wanting to buy,
    I will be lifting up the table and looking in the corners..
    If I see ANY separation of cabinet, I will offer 1,000.00 less than the asking price.
    Only fair..

1k less?

I would just walk away. Who needs that kind of aggravation?

#1378 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Played an Aerosmith pro on location last week. Both front corners were separating and cracked. Too bad it's a fun game.

Agreed, it is a great game.

If Stern learns how to build a pinball machine they may really be on to something,

1 week later
    #1518 6 years ago
    Quoted from knobstone:

I wanted to buy Ghostbusters, but personally I can not spend $7000 to $8000 on any product that have these kind of problems. I want all Pinball companies to succeed. But when I have 7 Bally/Williams that are over thirty years with none of the issues that Stern is having with some of their current machines, that's a problem.
    It's the principle, not the money. These are very expensive machines to some people I guess. But I am surprised when people complain on Pinside about Stern quality issues that they are usually slammed. It's like there is a free pass when it comes to accountability for Pinball.

I wish I could upvote your post a thousand times.

#1609 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Really? Great Job? Its great that you fixed it but praising Stern when they failed to glue a cabinet and the quality control is so poor they shipped it like that. If that's a great job I hate to see what it takes before you consider it a fuck up.

7K+ and you have to glue your cabinet?

How in hell is that acceptable?

#1629 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

My story is hardly unique.

It sure as hell isn't.

2 weeks later
    #1713 6 years ago

Wait, I thought the cabinets cracking was a thing of the past. I was told this was put to bed and no longer an issue.

How can this be possible?

#1719 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Earlier in this thread, known Stern sympathizers were suggesting that only a couple dozen cabs were affected. Pretty crazy that the same customer got two of them, what a coincidence!

#1806 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

I can guarantee there are more than the 25+ cases in the world that you refer to. The 25+ are just the ones that have found their way onto pinside in this one thread.
    So yes I feel there are a lot more than the 25+ mentioned here.

There are 2 GBs in my little Podunk town in NJ with the crack to the left of the coin door.

One owner is working with Stern and the other guy is oblivious to it.

2 months later
    #1955 6 years ago

I need some advice here.

I am going to install the cabinet brackets/braces on a friend's GB. There is now a tear in the cabinet decal due to this crack, but I believe when I adjust the cabinet I will be able to push the decal back in place where it becomes almost impossible to see where the decal came apart.

Is there anything I should use to coat the area where the split occurred so that the decal does not lift and begin curling after the repair is complete?

Thank You

#1957 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Personally, I would leave it alone after reinforcing the cabinet.

Appreciate it, thanks for responding.

#1964 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I already paid someone to build my game.
    Stern

8 months later
    #2086 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Think about this. You, as a customer, have to spend an additional $20 plus time to reinforce something that could be cheaper, and easier to do at the factory, when they are assembling the game, empty cabinet. Instead, they would rather send out new replacement cabinets for the customers that are having issues ("take care of you" as they say). These customers have to find the time and know-how to swap cabinets. Instead of the manufacturer spending the extra FEW dollars (because the can buy parts at cost, in bulk) to upgrade their brackets to something more heavy duty. And yet the community still pumps them with money for every new toy that comes out. Who does this truly benefit? Certainly not you. Why get defensive when customers are reporting issues? Also note that not all Stern customers post on Pinside, so it is entirely possible that people are getting split cabinets that do not post for you to read about.
    What next, they start sending out DIY kits for pinball machines instead of completely assembled machines, for the same cost? It's laughable right? But so is having to install your own leg brackets on a brand new machine.

It's nuts.

I just dropped 9K on an Iron Maiden LE and now I have to spend another $20 to reinforce the cabinet on my 9K machine?

This is my first NIB in quite awhile due to all of Stern's quality control issues and skimping on decent materials. Don't screw this up, Stern.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mike_J.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=Mike_J and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.