Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joey_N.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#264 6 years ago

I don't have skin in this game, but I find the thread sadly amusing, as joinery techniques are 100s or 1000s of years old. Someone took a shortcut or made a bonehead design move on the cabinets. Someone else said it best - these joints are cut on a shaper. Whether the shaper bit cuts this or a locking miter, like on the old Bally cabinets - same amount of time for the worker, once the tooling is set up. It looks as though the way the joint is cut, there's not enough wood left in that one spot, so that the wood and therefore joint is weak. Without enough wood or supplemental support, like blocking, to keep it rigid, the wood breaks.

1 week later
    #754 6 years ago

LOL at Simpson Strongtie hardware being used to fix a cabinet.

Sort of different, but look at how Williams Robotron, Stargate, Joust, etc cabinets were built. Probably by one of the companies that built pin cabinet back in the day. The side panels had a dado/slot cut in them, for more glue surface area and a stronger joint, and you can't change the type of joinery that's already there on these lousy built cabinets, but they also used triangle shaped blocking, glued into the corners that worked as sort of wood gussets. I'd think this sort of gusset/blocking could be added to these cabinets to beef up the corners, but you'd need to grind down the paint so the glue will bite better. Titebond glue and narrow crown staples.

1 week later
    #1057 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not resorting to personal insults, you just talk a lot of BS without any facts. You don't know that there is a big issue with these cabinets no more than I don't think that there is. I'm smart enough to look at it with an open mind that maybe there is and maybe there isn't a problem, but you come on here and run your big mouth like every new Stern cabinet has issues and that's not true. Sorry but 25 people who say that they have splitting cabinets doesn't necessarily mean that we have a catastrophe on our hands. Maybe we do and maybe we don't. I just think your hardcore never ending rants about it are stupid. Say your peace and move on. You act like your on a mission to put Stern out of business or something.

You're coming off extremely defensive, as if you don't like someone bashing issues that could effect something you've spent $10K+ on. I've never owned a Stern, but have followed the hobby since the late 90s and have built a full set of kitchen cabinets (and know a little about joinery techniques). Should I not be able to voice an opinion on the matter?

#1058 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not resorting to personal insults, you just talk a lot of BS without any facts. You don't know that there is a big issue with these cabinets no more than I don't think that there is. I'm smart enough to look at it with an open mind that maybe there is and maybe there isn't a problem, but you come on here and run your big mouth like every new Stern cabinet has issues and that's not true. Sorry but 25 people who say that they have splitting cabinets doesn't necessarily mean that we have a catastrophe on our hands. Maybe we do and maybe we don't. I just think your hardcore never ending rants about it are stupid. Say your peace and move on. You act like your on a mission to put Stern out of business or something.

The big issue with the cabinets is the joinery being used on the box, and the apparent tendency for some of the wood to get blown out, leaving a void. That's a manufacturing technique.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joey_N.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=Joey_N and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.