Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 43.
    #2101 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Take a closer look. The prices have been going up faster than that.

Maybe he meant "dog years?"

#2102 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Those two Iron Maiden machines are in my garage. They will be getting braces put on, and new cabinets will be coming for the games. Just so sad that they can't get the cabinet issue figured out.

Stern could rectify this easily, they just choose not to spend the money to do so in the manufacturing process.

#2103 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Those two Iron Maiden machines are in my garage. They will be getting braces put on, and new cabinets will be coming for the games. Just so sad that they can't get the cabinet issue figured out.

Did Stern tell you how soon those 2 new cabinets would be sent?

#2104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Stern could rectify this easily, they just choose not to spend the money to do so in the manufacturing process.

Yes, I know. Sad something simple like this can't just be eliminated, especially after prior issues.

Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Did Stern tell you how soon those 2 new cabinets would be sent?

Chris is taking care of it, there is no hurry to get them since they will be going on location right away. I have the big Williams/Bally braces to install, so it will be ok.

#2105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

You could still sell the old cabinets, someone would gladly use it for a custom build and just add braces and repair it.

#2106 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You could still sell the old cabinets, someone would gladly use it for a custom build and just add braces and repair it.

yeah, we figured we will put the games out on location for awhile till the new cabinets come in. I have the big Bally/Williams plates to install to hold them together for now.

#2107 5 years ago

Here are better pics of the first game I setup. Looks like the start button side never got any glue to hold it together. While you can clearly see glue on the shooter lane side.

IMG_3600 (resized).jpgIMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpgIMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpgIMG_3601 (resized).jpg

IMG_3604 (resized).jpgIMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpgIMG_3605 (resized).jpg

IMG_3603 (resized).jpgIMG_3603 (resized).jpg

#2108 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Here are better pics of the first game I setup. Looks like the start button side never got any glue to hold it together. While you can clearly see glue on the shooter lane side.

Thanks for pictures.
    What did you pay for those two after the show with those cabinet defects? I’m guessing mid 4K each?

#2109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Pic 3 appears to have a good sized chunk missing.
    Wonder if something smacked this one, cracking the cab.
    It’s right near the corner, probably the best place to strike a cabinet if you wanted to crack it.

#2110 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

yeah, we figured we will put the games out on location for awhile till the new cabinets come in. I have the big Bally/Williams plates to install to hold them together for now.

Why not? I’m sure the location players don’t give a F and you will earn big time.

#2111 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Why not? I’m sure the location players don’t give a F and you will earn big time.

They were bought to be put on location, who knows when we will swap out the cabs.

#2112 5 years ago

Come on everyone....

Ever time you have a split cabinet file a claim with Stern. They will get tired of sending out new replacement cabinets and work on a root cause solution.
    If all we do is complain or worse yet fix these cabinets at home for them they never feel the pain!

PAIN = Change for Stern.

Until then business as usual and no need to change. Join the movement, make the call, send the email to Stern, make your voice heard!

#2113 5 years ago

What ever happened to the good business practice of "listening to your customers"?????? This is such an easy fix.

#2114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

They were bought to be put on location, who knows when we will swap out the cabs.

Why would you? Swap em out when they come off route.

The GB pf issues were 1000x worse and here we are.

#2115 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Why would you? Swap em out when they come off route.
    The GB pf issues were 1000x worse and here we are.

That is what we were planning on.

#2116 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Looks like the start button side never got any glue to hold it together. While you can clearly see glue on the shooter lane side.

I have wondered how many of these splits are simply the cabinet making failed to glue. Maybe an automated machine when the glue runs out or jams. I don't know. I would rather know the joint isn't sound and fix it than have the corner be held together by the leg plate.

#2117 5 years ago

Safest bet is to "fix" it with the Williams style leg plates, regardless if you see problems or not.

#2118 5 years ago

Safest bet is to "fix" it with the Williams style leg plates, regardless if you see problems or not.

I'm thinking about doing this for my TWD...just for peace of mind. With triangle corner braces for extra rigidity. Overboard??

#2119 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm thinking about doing this for my TWD...just for peace of mind. With triangle corner braces for extra rigidity. Overboard??

Personally I just do the leg brackets, but I don't think it's overboard at all if you want to add an angle support above them as well.

#2120 5 years ago

Personally I just do the leg brackets, but I don't think it's overboard at all if you want to add an angle support above them as well.

With corner brackets being AS CHEAP AS THEY ARE (sorry, tourettes kicking in ) it wouldn't hurt.

1 week later
    #2121 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

With corner brackets being AS CHEAP AS THEY ARE

What corner brackets would you use? And doesn't it get kind of tight in there for corner brackets around the start button and flipper button?

#2122 5 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

What corner brackets would you use? And doesn't it get kind of tight in there for corner brackets around the start button and flipper button?

These fit well near the top corners.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Heavy-Duty-Corner-Brace-2-Pack-15442/202034088

These fit well above the Bally/Williams braces.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Double-Wide-Corner-Brace-2-Pack-15051/202033994

Some slight rounding of the brace corners may be necessary around the start button.

BM66cab (resized).jpgBM66cab (resized).jpg

#2123 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Just so sad that they can't get the cabinet issue figured out.

In their current incarnation Stern has been building games for 20 years. They have it figured out. They figured out exactly how much of the cost they could remove from the cabinet to be the most cost effective straddle of the line between failure and just enough to function as a cabinet. Even with replacements it costs them less than if they built every cabinet solidly. And how do I know that? Because that is exactly how they continue to build them. It’s no mystery, it’s business.

#2124 5 years ago

It’s sad is what it is for the price of new games....now looks like Irin Maiden is gonna sell quite a few so let’s see how many cabinet issues are posted here.

Only way to make change is for enough people to quit buying new games....problem is that ain’t gonna happen. Those of us that have been around for awhile have played all the old games....still enjoy them but we always crave something new/different.

#2125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

It’s sad is what it is for the price of new games....now looks like Irin Maiden is gonna sell quite a few so let’s see how many cabinet issues are posted here.
    Only way to make change is for enough people to quit buying new games....problem is that ain’t gonna happen. Those of us that have been around for awhile have played all the old games....still enjoy them but we always crave something new/different.

Agree people will keep buying, so file a warranty claim for a replacement. They have been honoring replacements. So, if they have enough warranty claims they will then, at least, add brackets. (Similar to ghosting issues - they did not want all this playfield swaps continuing).

By the way, if you need a spare cabinet here you go - it is looking for a good home!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/63893

#2126 5 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

Agree people will keep buying, so file a warranty claim for a replacement. They have been honoring replacements. So, if they have enough warranty claims they will then, at least, add brackets. (Similar to ghosting issues - they did not want all this playfield swaps continuing).
    By the way, if you need a spare cabinet here you go - it is looking for a good home!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/63893

Here's what I don't understand, my Star Wars LE cabinet is reinforced from Stern. Why go through the process of designing that, only to use it on 1 game?

#2127 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's what I don't understand, my Star Wars LE cabinet is reinforced from Stern. Why go through the process of designing that, only to use it on 1 game?

Maybe they thought the Force would reinforce the cabinets after Star Wars.

9 months later
    #2128 5 years ago

Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png my buddy iron maiden came split.....i thought the cabinet issues were over....

#2129 5 years ago

Hesitate to post...MunstersLE has plywood bottom, extra bracing, and seems to be the most solid Stern I've seen in memory...does Iron Maiden have the plywood, etc.? Sucks to see this pic...

#2130 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hesitate to post...MunstersLE has plywood bottom, extra bracing, and seems to be the most solid Stern I've seen in memory...does Iron Maiden have the plywood, etc.? Sucks to see this pic...

Can you post pics for everyone to see?

#2131 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's great to hear that Stern is using plywood bottoms for Munsters LE's.

For the price Stern is charging for their latest pros, nearly $6k, they should also come with a plywood bottom and proper bracing. It's crazy to think that a $6k pinball machine that is designed for commercial use is having corner cuts in regards to the quality of wood and the lack of proper support brackets. The equivalent would be an automaker putting plastic doors and using lower quality bolts on basic models.

Stern needs to make more items consistent across all of their models. Plywood cabinets and proper bracing should be standard regardless of the model.

#2132 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Can you post pics for everyone to see?

Bourbon night, so can't pop the top now ( just playing it)...had it apart this week....was pretty shocked at how solid this one was ...haven't bought a NIB Stern since BM66LE...drastic difference....will post tomorrow w a few pics....

#2133 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For the price Stern is charging for their latest pros, nearly $6k, they should also come with a plywood bottom and proper bracing. It's crazy to think that a $6k pinball machine that is designed for commercial use is having corner cuts in regards to the quality of wood and the lack of proper support brackets. The equivalent would be an automaker putting plastic doors and using lower quality bolts on basic models.
    Stern needs to make more items consistent across all of their models. Plywood cabinets and proper bracing should be standard regardless of the model.

I hesitate to say "built like a tank" , but this one is definitely solid....was sort of shocked when I took it apart to add my usual mods (external switching PS, etc.)...was pleasantly surprised...people have been complaining about excessive shaker impact on this one...I believe it is in part to a very solid cabinet build transmitting the vibrations (no idea if I'm right or not). Fit and finish on MunstersLE is the best I've seen from the factory in quite some time...

#2134 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My pro is very solid with the good leg brackets , front top corner brackets and lots of braces inside the cab.

#2135 5 years ago

Sorry for delay...Pics are average ( taken in a bit of a rush) but you get the idea.

Ignore external PS...I do this to all my machines to accommodate mods..

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    #2136 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sorry for delay...Pics are average ( taken in a bit of a rush) but you get the idea.
    Ignore external PS...I do this to all my machines to accommodate mods..
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's the way to go, HD leg plates.

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.