2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 309 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

There are 2136 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 43.
    #2001 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Can someone with a SW Pro post pics of the current bracket situation?

Pros do not have the bracket. They have the same small ones they put on games for years.

#2002 1 year ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

If you look at my AS and GB, both of which split, there seem to be missing plys of wood. This would probably account for a weak joint. (My As and GB were built nearly the same time)

If there was a missing ply of wood the plastic glass channel would over hang or be even with the inside of the cabinet sides. Is that what your seeing on your games?

#2003 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If there was a missing ply of wood the plastic glass channel would over hang or be even with the inside of the cabinet sides. Is that what your seeing on your games?

I think Paul is right on this one.

#2004 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Has this issue been solved by Stern? Have anyone had any issues with new games splitting?

I helped someone unbox a brand new metallica pro last night. Game is flawless in every way and required zero adjustments out of the box. Plays perfectly.

#2005 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I helped someone unbox a brand new metallica pro last night. Game is flawless in every way and required zero adjustments out of the box. Plays perfectly.

That’s how all four of my games have been. I couldn’t be happier.

#2006 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's the way my Mustang Pro and GB Pro were too and they're still perfect.

#2007 1 year ago

To close the loop on the issue of SW Pro vs. Premium cabinet brackets, here's a picture of what's in the Pro (thanks thelaw):
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/149#post-4040083

SW Pro

And here's the Premium/LE (thanks trekkie1978):
    SW Premium
    SW Premium

I'm not saying that the SW Pro is insufficient, I don't know enough about what was causing the splitting issues with some GB and AS cabinets. As a Premium owner, I do like the look of the beefier hardware though.

#2008 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

To close the loop on the issue of SW Pro vs. Premium cabinet brackets, here's a picture of what's in the Pro (thanks thelaw):
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/149#post-4040083

And here's the Premium/LE (thanks trekkie1978):

I'm not saying that the SW Pro is insufficient, I don't know enough about what was causing the splitting issues with some GB and AS cabinets. As a Premium owner, I do like the look of the beefier hardware though.

That's sad, they cheap out on the Pro.

#2009 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's sad, they cheap out on the Pro.

Yes, considering that the pro is most likely to be routed, and therefore going to receive exponentially more play and abuse than your average Prem or LE.

So clearly, they're not adding brackets for durability in the field, they're adding brackets to placate the crying bitchy home market, operators be damned.

#2010 1 year ago

Which leg bolt plates are people adding to reinforce their Stern cabinets?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-7394-00
    or
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11400-1

#2011 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm saying when you buy 5 or 7 ply plywood and you look at it end on you should see a solid 5 or 7 plys. If a knot or defect is encountered if is removed and replaced during manufacture. It's as if they removed the knots then sandwiched. Plys 1, 3 , and 5 are fine #2 and 4 are holed but still good enough to provide spacing. I'll snap a picture this weekend.

#2012 1 year ago

I'm building a cab for a project and went with the Williams version. Cheaper to buy, but I was told the threaded portion is stronger.

#2013 1 year ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I'm building a cab for a project and went with the Williams version. Cheaper to buy, but I was told the threaded portion is stronger.

But do the bolts line up with a Stern?

#2014 1 year ago

The second one. Why on Earth would pay twice the price for an inferior one. And with the bulk discount it's a no brainer. I bought 24 and got the good price.

#2015 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

The second one. Why on Earth would pay twice the price for an inferior one. And with the bulk discount it's a no brainer. I bought 24 and got the good price.

I agree, just making sure the bolt holes still line up with a Stern?

#2016 1 year ago

Those corner brackets should be easy to install and is cheap insurance imo.

#2017 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

But do the bolts line up with a Stern?

Yes perfectly. I put them on all my games, from Space Shuttle to GB Pro. The legs and hole position hasn't changed in I don't know how long.

#2018 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes perfectly. I put them on all my games, from Space Shuttle to GB Pro. The legs and hole position hasn't changed in I don't know how long.

ok cool, Thanks! ordering 24! Decided to add them to all my Stern machines, just in case.

#2019 1 year ago

Here's a shot I found-

20170411_105944 (resized).jpg

#2020 1 year ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Here's a shot I found-

What type of joint is that?

#2021 1 year ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Here's a shot I found-

god what a mess :-/

#2022 1 year ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

What type of joint is that?

Not joined.

#2023 1 year ago

So, what it looks like to me:
    A) See the area I circled....I bet they didn't put any glue there to adhere the side to the front.
    B) See the area I pointed at with the arrow? the plies split because the glue in the joint couldn't hold back the pressure from the missing glue in A

IMG_0388 (resized).jpg

#2024 1 year ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Here's a shot I found-

What game? And what build date? I think people are anxious to know whether this issue is ongoing.

#2025 1 year ago

That's an old picture and irrelevant.

There have been no new relevant posts here in months, which leads me to believe it hasn't been an issue for months.

#2026 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

ok cool, Thanks! ordering 24! Decided to add them to all my Stern machines, just in case.

The brace on the start button side can only be mounted with the long end down because of the tournament button on newer Sterns but the shooter side can go on with the long end facing up which gives more strength to the top corner. The screw threads are pressed in fittings so I had my buddy put a couple of spot welds on each one to keep them from spinning (it happened to me a couple of times on another game) if the bolt gets cross threaded. Then I cleaned them up and painted them with cold galvanizing paint to keep the welds from rusting.

#2027 1 year ago

As I said before I got about the first game so don't worry now. The issue has been resolved in new games

#2028 1 year ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Here's a shot I found-

Here's a shot I found:

Naturally, we should all avoid large ships.

titanic_sinking_tw (resized).jpg

#2029 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's an old picture and irrelevant.
    There have been no new relevant posts here in months, which leads me to believe it hasn't been an issue for months.

nothing (resized).jpg

#2030 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Here's a shot I found:
    Naturally, we should all avoid large ships.

Is that a new picture, or one from a few months ago...

#2031 1 year ago

I find your avatar interesting...

#2032 1 year ago

I received GB and AS about March or April 2017. Besides the corner issue I've had absolutely no problems.

#2033 1 year ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is that a new picture, or one from a few months ago...

It's a shot I found!

#2034 1 year ago

Pic was taken April 11th and is of my AS.

#2035 1 year ago

My Aerosmith not my AS

#2036 1 year ago

Thanks for clearing that up. So that photo is from the exact period this thread began, and people were posting all the horror pics. So again...really no sign of continuing problems on that front, and nothing new. Perhaps this thread can now die again until someone else checks in a few months from now to ask about what's going on with Stern's cabinets.

#2037 1 year ago

My cabinet was a pile o shit before I even cut the green straps.

Stern made good & sent a new cabinet plus a tech to complete the swap.

The replacement cabinet was clearly made by a different supplier. The QC stamps were different & IIRC there was another "tell" leading me to believe this to be from a different source.

I'd say Stern fired that supplier or tracked the issue down. Kudos to them.

However...

Stern cannot grab any old cabinet now when building a game. They have to choose the correct one. Example: one is drilled out for the support bolt by CNC robots where the other is not. If Stern even installs those bolts.

Maybe all new cabs one day will have the supports & as of now Stern is burning through the old inventory on Pro's until they're all gone?

Either way I wouldnt let cabinets stop me from buying a NIB. That IMO says a lot considering I was a victim of a NIB split cab.

But... code... that *IS* a reason to stop buying NIB

That's another thread tho

#2038 1 year ago
    Quoted from PW79:

But... code... that *IS* a reason to stop buying NIB [from Stern]

That's the best reason. They need to catch up or reorganize or shake up management or SOMETHING to get their act together. I'm out of Stern NIB until I see changes in the field, not promises.

Fortunately Houdini and jPotC can fill that void just fine for the next 6-12 months.

#2039 1 year ago
    Quoted from vireland:

That's the best reason. They need to catch up or reorganize or shake up management or SOMETHING to get their act together. I'm out of Stern NIB until I see changes in the field, not promises.
    Fortunately Houdini and jPotC can fill that void just fine for the next 6-12 months.

Agreed. I can probably fix or have a cab fixed if need be. I can't do or find anyone to write the code.

#2040 1 year ago
    Quoted from vireland:

What they need is about 3 or more code programmers. If they can find them I'll bet they aint cheap so you'd probably looking at another price increase to pay for them.

#2041 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What they need is about 3 or more code programmers. If they can find them I'll bet they aint cheap so you'd probably looking at another price increase to pay for them.

Amortized? They're dirt cheap, relatively speaking. I would be really surprised if Stern started their junior programmers out at more than $60k/yr. If they work on two machines a year (more likely three, but...) and those machines sell a relative small 2500 units total together, that's $24 bucks a machine. Programmer cost is not the issue. I'm sure it's more to do with experience/talent and stern cost cutting.

#2042 1 year ago
    Quoted from vireland:

They're dirt cheap, relatively speaking. I would be really surprised if Stern started their junior programmers out at more than $60k/yr.

Cool, I wasn’t aware you could hire solid junior programmers so cheap. Usually I see the cost to be at least that for just the salary, and then you need to add benefits, and office space, recruiting, and all the other overhead costs.

I realize your just spreading the cost over the number of machines, but once we are doing that, aren’t we looking at the 10 bucks it would cost them to put rails on the playfield and stop people complaining about the pegs?

#2043 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Cool, I wasn’t aware you could hire solid junior programmers so cheap. Usually I see the cost to be at least that for just the salary, and then you need to add benefits, and office space, recruiting, and all the other overhead costs.
    I realize your just spreading the cost over the number of machines, but once we are doing that, aren’t we looking at the 10 bucks it would cost them to put rails on the playfield and stop people complaining about the pegs?

In the end you have to amortize costs to get the cost of goods. The office space is already baked into general overhead they're already paying whether you have another programmer or not. There's probably a few grand of office equipment and computer hardware per new programmer, but it's nothing compared to the recurring salary. Even if junior programmers were $100k, broken out to a per machine basis, it's a relatively small bump. I think the bigger problem is the structure of the organization and too deep cost-cutting. Both need a shakeup.

#2044 1 year ago

Stern has raised prices & reduced costs.

More money hasn't resulted in better code.

So to say better code = price increases = wrong

If this were 2003 then maybe but $6800 is the new $3800 so capital is not to blame

IMO

Now I'm not being critical of Stern's margin. I like their games & they deserve to make a living. Just saying more margin hasn't fixed anything so far.

#2045 1 year ago

Stern again never disappoints! I can’t speak for everyone, and sorry for those who have had trouble with stern warranty, but stern has always taken care of any problems I have had. Just got my replacement cab! Thanks again Chas!

698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg

#2046 1 year ago
    Quoted from twinmice:

Stern again never disappoints! I can’t speak for everyone, and sorry for those who have had trouble with stern warranty, but stern has always taken care of any problems I have had. Just got my replacement cab! Thanks again Chas!

Admit it.

You opened the box hoping it was a complete game.

I know I did when Stern sent mine

#2047 1 year ago
    Quoted from twinmice:

I'll hold my praise until I see it out of the box.

#2048 1 year ago

Ya, always wish it was a new pin!! and I will get back to you guys after I open it and let you know if there were any problems. Mike

#2049 1 year ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Stern has raised prices & reduced costs.
    More money hasn't resulted in better code.

Did you order GOTG yet.

#2050 1 year ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Did you order GOTG yet.

Lol

I told myself AFMr would be my next game but I dragged my feet to see what Stern had in the hopper.

I'm excited about GOTG, I think (too soon) but I know it will be 3-5 years, if ever, before complete.

So AFMr is my next NIB. That way I can play a software complete game for 3-5 years then sell it to buy a HUO example of GOTG if its worth a shit.

Never know. It may have a GOT orbit & BM66 code forever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 18.95
    $ 244.99
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 2136 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 43.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside