Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 43.
    #1901 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Stern has agreed to replace my cabinet.

This is great news!

#1902 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is great news!

Sure is! How bad was it? Do you have a pic?

#1903 6 years ago

That's awesome PW, glad to hear it!

#1904 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

My distro called.
    I was busy @ the time so it went to voicemail but he says after reviewing the video & pics Stern has agreed to replace my cabinet.
    Tomorrow I will call him back to get an ETA & the details of how this works.
    I'm reluctant to call this resolved, you know, since its not yet done, but I'm happy to report Stern's reply.

Thats good to hear. It took me about 5-6 weeks to get my replacement so just enjoy the game while you wait.

#1905 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

My distro called.
    I was busy @ the time so it went to voicemail but he says after reviewing the video & pics Stern has agreed to replace my cabinet.
    Tomorrow I will call him back to get an ETA & the details of how this works.
    I'm reluctant to call this resolved, you know, since its not yet done, but I'm happy to report Stern's reply.

That's great. It makes you wonder what do they do with these cabs when they get them back.

#1906 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's great. It makes you wonder what do they do with these cabs when they get them back.

They dont take them back (at least they didnt offer for me), heh. I was told to "just keep it" lol. luckily, since it ended up being done by the stern approved service dude, he just took it. Im not gonna gripe about that though, just happy they made it right for me by sending out the new cab.

#1907 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcadenerd925:

They dont take them back (at least they didnt offer for me), heh. I was told to "just keep it" lol. luckily, since it ended up being done by the stern approved service dude, he just took it. Im not gonna gripe about that though, just happy they made it right for me by sending out the new cab.

I'm hoping for a similar experience.

My distro is awaiting another reply from Stern right now in regards to finding someone to populate this new cabinet.

#1908 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I'm hoping for a similar experience.
    My distro is awaiting another reply from Stern right now in regards to finding someone to populate this new cabinet.

Me and a friend did it. Its very easy you just need to move a couple boards over from one cabinet to the other and the rest just unplug.

#1909 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Me and a friend did it. Its very easy you just need to move a couple boards over from one cabinet to the other and the rest just unplug.

Wouldn't doing it yourself void the warranty?

#1910 6 years ago

I'm not a pinball tech.

If I do it myself & something goes awry then who is to blame? Who is fixing the new problem?

What if I drop the PF, scratch up the cabinet, short out something & burn up a board, etc? I'd have to relo the coin door, boards, PF, backbox & so on.

I'm an understanding guy & happy to let Stern fix their own problems but I'm not doing the job of a pinball tech or factory worker.

#1911 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I'm not a pinball tech.
    If I do it myself & something goes awry then who is to blame? Who is fixing the new problem?
    What if I drop the PF, scratch up the cabinet, short out something & burn up a board, etc? I'd have to relo the coin door, boards, PF, backbox & so on.
    I'm an understanding guy & happy to let Stern fix their own problems but I'm not doing the job of a pinball tech or factory worker.

100% understand your perspective on this, but from the amount of posts I have seen where Stern seems to be selling DIY kits... is it reasonable to have this expectation when buying NIB Stern at this point?

I mean it is a reasonable expectation for any new product I can think of... but with ALL the problems for the last few years taken into account... it seems Stern expects YOU to be their QC, alpha/beta testers, and final assembly staff...

#1912 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I'm not a pinball tech.

What game is it?

#1913 6 years ago

To recap... So far so good. A cabinet should be en route soon & my distro is in talks w/Stern in regards to finding someone to populate the replacement cabinet. Others in this thread received a replacement cabinet assembled by a Stern approved tech on site so it appears my expectations & Stern's service, or the distro's abilities to resolve, are on the right path.

Good. I can't wait to buy more cool shit from both parties lol. Cmon Pulp Fiction & Elvira!

At this point I feel pretty good but all it takes is a BS reply of passing the buck or a complete break in communication for things to sour. But, so far so good!

I love love love the game. My daughter is a fanatic now. She absolutely LOVES this game. We're talking about a girl who turns 4 in late October who now sings all the songs & realizes 2 mode inserts cannot be selected at the start lol. She goes on & on about how beautiful the game is & how giant the screen is. She has genuine belly laughs at some of the animations. I don't disagree with her. This game is special for sure. Even my wife plays it.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What game is it?

In my case Aerosmith Pro

After perusing this thread it's an issue on every title in production currently.

Not saying every game, just saying it certainly appears to be the manner in which cabinets are now constructed rather than an issue isolated to one title in particular.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

100% understand your perspective on this, but from the amount of posts I have seen where Stern seems to be selling DIY kits... is it reasonable to have this expectation when buying NIB Stern at this point?
    I mean it is a reasonable expectation for any new product I can think of... but with ALL the problems for the last few years taken into account... it seems Stern expects YOU to be their QC, alpha/beta testers, and final assembly staff...

Agreed, I mean disagreed, I mean... ah shit.

#1914 6 years ago

SPIKE games look fairly easy to swap over. There's only 1 board in the cabinet. Playfield has a couple molex connectors to disconnect.

#1915 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Wouldn't doing it yourself void the warranty?

No it wouldn't void the warranty.

#1916 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

SPIKE games look fairly easy to swap over. There's only 1 board in the cabinet. Playfield has a couple molex connectors to disconnect.

It's super easy. I can understand if someone doesn't want to do it themselves but it took more time swapping the armor over then the actual Playfield swap. I'm sure most people on this site have installed custom armor on some of their games so that's a non issue.

#1917 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

No it wouldn't void the warranty.

So Stern will warranty somebodies work that they don't know if they have the talent to do it?
    Doesn't sound right to me.

#1918 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

So Stern will warranty somebodies work that they don't know if they have the talent to do it?

Stern will warranty your work on specific basic project (swap boards, swap cabs) if they don't have to pay for a service tech to do it? Makes plenty of sense to me.

#1919 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I talked to Chas at Stern before doing it and he did not say that If i were to do the swap that it would void the warranty.

#1920 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Agreed, I mean disagreed, I mean... ah shit.

Yes, I know what you mean.

And congrats on the game, I am glad your daughter is digging it, and fingers crossed things keep moving on a positive path.

Jason

#1921 6 years ago

It seems that Stern has implemented a "fix" for the cabinet corner joints. See what I found on this new Star Wars? It's a metal corner bracket.

20170822_125155 (resized).jpg20170822_125155 (resized).jpg

#1922 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

It seems that Stern has implemented a "fix" for the cabinet corner joints. See what I found on this new Star Wars? It's a metal corner bracket.

Guess they realized this is cheaper than having to send out an entire new cab to the occasional unhappy customer.

#1923 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

Oh that looks heavy duty. Looks like 2 whole screws holding it on. Better then nothing I suppose.

#1924 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like 2 whole screws holding it on. Better then nothing I suppose.

You can't see under the bracket in that photo.

#1925 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh that looks heavy duty. Looks like 2 whole screws holding it on. Better then nothing I suppose.

They added B/W style leg bolt brackets again in a running change, too.

#1926 6 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

You can't see under the bracket in that photo.

Well let's see a good picture then.

Quoted from PinMonk:

They added B/W style leg bolt brackets again in a running change, too.

#1927 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Here's pics of the running change Stern has made to Star Wars cabinets, reverting to the B/W style leg bolt brackets. Knock yourself out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/137#post-3924456

#1928 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Not screws but bolts. I'm impressed. Personally, I'm surprised Stern did something about this quickly and well done.
    BW brackets and a top corner bracket that passes a bolt through the cabinet frame.
    I really hope they continue this at least on the premiums/LE's if not all cabinets.

#1929 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Here's pics of the running change Stern has made to Star Wars cabinets, reverting to the B/W style leg bolt brackets. Knock yourself out:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/137#post-3924456

Thank you, that's great to see.

#1930 6 years ago

I have a replacement GB cab shipping Friday I hope they have incorporated these changes.

#1931 6 years ago

My replacement Aerosmith Pro cabinet arrived today.

Hopefully it has the new brackets. But it's an "older than SW" title so who knows?

Seeing the giant Stern box was such a hollow victory. I mean I knew it was just a cabinet but seeing a full game box is so cruel lol

I'm in agreement w/chucksmith... It's nice to see Stern on the ball in regards to a fix so quickly. Appears Stern tried to cut costs for a bit & saw too many issues that resulted in lost customer confidence (reduced sales) via shitty PR from it all + the obvious time & material costs associated with double shipping, building 2 cabinets, fielding calls/emails & so on.

Kudos to Stern.

Now where is that MF'n Pulp Fiction game? Say it's just a rumor again MF'r I dare ya MF'r I double dare ya. Say rumor one more MF'n time.

20170823_121705 (resized).jpg20170823_121705 (resized).jpg

#1932 6 years ago

Keep us posted once you open it up.

#1933 6 years ago

No metal cabinet braces.

I haven't fully inspected the cabinet for issues yet but here are a few pics.

20170823_134216 (resized).jpg20170823_134216 (resized).jpg

20170823_134754 (resized).jpg20170823_134754 (resized).jpg

20170823_134808 (resized).jpg20170823_134808 (resized).jpg

20170823_134815 (resized).jpg20170823_134815 (resized).jpg

#1934 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

No metal cabinet braces.

Does the decal in the front have 2 holes on the top for where the bolt would go through?

IMG_2564 (resized).JPGIMG_2564 (resized).JPG

#1935 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

No metal cabinet braces.

I know this isn't on topic, but cute daughter! I'm sure she plays you well, like mine. haha

#1936 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does the decal in the front have 2 holes on the top for where the bolt would go through?

No.

Maybe when the old stock runs out all future builds will have braces?

I read speculation its only on Premium/LE models but that would surprise me if it ends up being true. Too early to tell @ this stage as Stern likley has a large inventory of cabinets on standby.

Maybe there are several cabinet manufacturers & only one of them require the braces?

Quoted from spandol:

I know this isn't on topic, but cute daughter! I'm sure she plays you well, like mine. haha

Thanks. She is my world for sure. I let her get away with more than her mother does & she appears to realize this already

#1937 6 years ago

Hope that cabinet works out good for you PW.

#1938 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

No.
    Maybe when the old stock runs out all future builds will have braces?
    I read speculation its only on Premium/LE models but that would surprise me if it ends up being true. Too early to tell @ this stage as Stern likley has a large inventory of cabinets on standby.
    Maybe there are several cabinet manufacturers & only one of them require the braces?

Thanks. She is my world for sure. I let her get away with more than her mother does & she appears to realize this already

It looks fairly straight forward and not too difficult to add all the new braces if you wanted to, if Stern would send them along.
    It might be a good idea.

#1939 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

It looks fairly straight forward and not too difficult to add all the new braces if you wanted to, if Stern would send them along.
    It might be a good idea.

Might not hurt to see if your distributor can scare them up for you. Stern would probably ship you $5 in hardware to keep you happy.

#1941 6 years ago

You're shooting blanks again...

#1942 6 years ago

It might be a good idea.

That would be the FIRST thing I would do. I've put the HD leg braces on all 14 of my games just to play it safe.

#1943 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You're shooting blanks again...

I made a mistake so I erased it. How do ya think I got to 19k posts. Clever hugh.

#1944 6 years ago

It might be a good idea.

Agreed.

But... they already sent a cab that seems purdy damn solid. Plus, the moment I start asking for free stuff I am perceived as someone who complains to complain vs someone who complains because their cabinet is a piece of shit. If problems arise from some brackets I installed improperly then I'm really hosed.

#1945 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Agreed.
    But... they already sent a cab that seems purdy damn solid. Plus, the moment I start asking for free stuff I am perceived as someone who complains to complain vs someone who complains because their cabinet is a piece of shit. If problems arise from some brackets I installed improperly then I'm really hosed.

How big of a job to swap that stuff over into the new cabinet PW? How long will it take you to do?

#1946 6 years ago

Very nice, that cabinet looks like its ready to go, I was expecting them to send a bare cabinet with nothing but the ground braid in place.

#1947 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

How big of a job to swap that stuff over into the new cabinet PW? How long will it take you to do?

I dont want to do it.

All risk, no upside.

I bought a NIB that was defective from day one so someone else should fix it IMO.

#1948 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Very nice, that cabinet looks like its ready to go, I was expecting them to send a bare cabinet with nothing but the ground braid in place.

From what I see I'd have to install a coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.

Wait, first I have to take apart a coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.

Then I get to hope I dont damage the coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.

I wouldn't call it ready to go on a consumer level. Should be easy for a tech however.

#1949 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

From what I see I'd have to install a coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.
    Wait, first I have to take apart a coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.
    Then I get to hope I dont damage the coin door, a small boardset, side armor, a playfield & a populated backbox.
    I wouldn't call it ready to go on a consumer level. Should be easy for a tech however.

It's a lot easier than you realize.

#1950 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It's a lot easier than you realize.

Some people are not comfortable doing mechanical work like this. And his point that he shouldn't have to, and that there is no upside is true. Personally I'd have started doing it immediately, because I agree with you, it's a pretty easy task. But not everyone works like that.

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.