Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 43.
    #1551 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

» YouTube video
    Not the best players that's for sure but man that center shot is a joke.

Reminds me of the trunk shot on ToM or Glinda target on WOZ, If you dont make it then STDM! Very challenging.

#1552 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

And if you think "well, only a thousand more" to LE, then you have enough to afford an LE. The price point for the game is $8000. If you want it to look real nice, it's more. Simple as that.

$1000 is $1000. And $8000 is $8000. And no one will ever convince me a pinball is worth that.

Edit: and I have played it. It's cool. I don't really have a strong opinion either way. Definitely too expensive, that's all I cared about. Once you're skipping over the price everything else gets hard to invest emotional energy in.

#1553 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

$1000 is $1000. And $8000 is $8000. And no one will ever convince me a pinball is worth that.
    Edit: and I have played it. It's cool. I don't really have a strong opinion either way. Definitely too expensive, that's all I cared about. Once you're skipping over the price everything else gets hard to invest emotional energy in.

Just good to see you back in the mix Aurich.

To each their own with the theme and gameplay...it's whatever you prefer. To me (and just my opinion) most Sterns feel and shoot the same. I've played the hell out of SM, Avatar, IM, XMen and Avengers....and not a huge difference "feel" wise. I would take a Medusa or Pharaoh over most Sterns any day. Those games are fun as hell to play, and not recycled layouts (like FG to Shrek, or Austin Powers to IM). Original and unlicensed themes rule, especially the artwork usually. I'm starting to care less and less about these debates anymore. $7500, $8500, $9500, BM66 for $15K. Prices are just ridiculous period.

#1554 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

BM66 for $15K. Prices are just ridiculous period.

What's ridiculous is when people quote BM66 as $15k.

MSRP for a Premium is $8,599 -and you shouldn't be paying full MSRP as we all know.

#1555 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

MSRP for a Premium is $8,599 -and you shouldn't be paying full MSRP as we all know.

I didn't mention a model, so it's not ridiculous. The Super Duper LE is / was $15k, right? That's a fact, and what I was referencing. I don't see where I said a premium costs that much. Everyone knows there were cheaper versions available.

#1556 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You mean the theatre shot, missed? Maybe it wasn't leveled properly? This never happened to me personally, and the outlanes are far less abusive than KISS and Aerosmith.

Watch the video, Some of those shots weren't missed. It just grabs the ball and drops it SDTM. Not a very good design.

#1557 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Watch the video, Some of those shots weren't missed. It just grabs the ball and drops it SDTM. Not a very good design.

This stuff happens alot and a few examples are ....... Twd prison magnet does it sometines and out of the pop bumpers also. . When the ball comes out of the pops on the left on gb it happens sometimes also . Its pinball ...shit happens on every game that isn't fair sometimes. Thats why pinball is fun ....if it played the same every time that wldnt b much fun imo. Every time i played di i never experienced any center drains from that magnet.....

#1558 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

This stuff happens alot and a few examples are ....... Twd prison magnet does it sometines and out of the pops. When the ball comes out of the pops on the left on gb it happens sometimes also . Its pinball ...shit happens on every game that isn't fair sometimes. Thats why pinball is fun ....if it played the same every time that wldnt b much fun imo. Every time i played di i never experienced any center drains from that magnet.....

So you are saying a clean shot to a desired target should be rewarded by a Magnet catching the ball & dropping it SDTM??? Dude come on.

The Magnet pulse was fixed on TWD. Also adding a post from the pops fixed the pops drain on mine & many others too. Having a magnet just catch the ball and drop it STDM is pretty bad and they may want to try and fix it with some code programming.

#1560 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

So you are saying a clean shot to a desired target should be rewarded by a Magnet catching the ball & dropping it SDTM??? Dude come on.
    The Magnet pulse was fixed on TWD. Also adding a post from the pops fixed the pops drain on mine & many others too. Having a magnet just catch the ball and drop it STDM is pretty bad and they may want to try and fix it with some code programming.

I dont think its a issue as these are prototype pins and the few i played didnt have this problem and most videos ive watched didnt have this problem. Its probably just a bad set up or something else going on. It will be fine . I hate when i hit the afm ship or mm gate and it shoots back down the middle .... but thats pinball. By the way i had a walking dead prem for quite a while ....it still put it down the middle om occasion. I really think your making a big stink about nothing. Crazy what people find to complain about anymore. Its a dam toy ....

#1561 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I dont think its a issue as these are prototype pins and the few i played didnt have this problem and most videos ive watched didnt have this problem. Its probably just a bad set up or something else going on. It will be fine . I hate when i hit the afm ship or mm gate and it shoots back down the middle .... but thats pinball. By the way i had a walking dead prem for quite a while ....it still put it down the middle om occasion. I really think your making a big stink about nothing. Crazy what people find to complain about anymore. Its a dam toy ....

its not a toy like AFM or MM. Its a magnet that catches the ball and drops it down the drain. But hey if you are into that kinda gameplay I'm sure you'll love the game then.

#1562 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

its not a toy like AFM or MM. Its a magnet that catches the ball and drops it down the drain. But hey if you are into that kinda gameplay I'm sure you'll love the game then.

What he's saying and I said, too, is that this didn't happen for us. I played many games at PAGG and that never happened once, so it's maybe bad setup or a Canada-only feature.

#1563 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

What he's saying and I said, too, is that this didn't happen for us. I played many games at PAGG and that never happened once, so it's maybe bad setup or a Canada-only feature.

I'll take your word then. Interesting that it happened 4-5 times in a 30 min video though and the ball didn't seem like it was favoring one side of the play field as it came down.

#1564 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Sooo, your saying TWD was fixed, but you dont appear to give that benefit to Hieghway, on a just released game. Gotcha...

#1565 6 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Sooo, your saying TWD was fixed, but you dont appear to give that benefit to Hieghway, on a just released game. Gotcha...

to Who???

#1566 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

You are just helping make the point that it was massively overpriced. The "Pro" of BM66 was listed at $8,599 MSRP. They can call it a Premium all day long, but it was a Pro.

#1568 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Let's be real, the Premium is a very weakly featured Pro with a partially rehashed layout.

Wonder why the more heavily featured Aerosmith Pro with immenseley better art and stuff going on on the LCD is flying off the shelves and BM66 Premium is barely moving. $5.4k or $8k at US prices, and way more in other territories.

$8k is just as unrealistic for BM66 for most people as $15k is.

#1569 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Doesn't happen on this video, probably just that particular prototype game.

#1570 6 years ago

Sorry but nothing about that turn table mech says "pro". Nor does the LCD

When it's done and fully implemented it will be one of the most impressive engineering feats on a pinball machine

Try and find a BM66SLE or LE for sale except for Gap or Automated. We like it and see what's coming with Lyman

The theme and artwork are fantastic

So is ASLE btw

As for a DICE, let's hear the justification for that one?

The fact is DEMAND for BM66 at $15k blows away a DICE at $12.5k of which a a handful might be actually delivered to the end user

#1571 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Sorry but nothing about that turn table mech says "pro". Nor does the LCD
    When it's done and fully implemented it will be one of the most impressive engineering feats on a pinball machine
    Try and find a BM66SLE or LE for sale except for Gap or Automated. We like it and see what's coming with Lyman
    The theme and artwork are fantastic
    So is ASLE btw
    As for a DICE, let's hear the justification for that one?
    The fact is DEMAND for BM66 at $15k blows away a DICE at $12.5k of which a a handful might be actually delivered to the end user

Try to find an LE for sale, except for here and there. Not a real strong argument for BM66 being popular lol

#1572 6 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Try to find an LE for sale, except for here and there. Not a real strong argument for BM66 being popular lol

It means its popular with the people that own it! Maybe not the jealous haters but i get that.

And yet its still in basically beta code.

Demand MUCH higher for that outrageously priced BM66SLE versus the outrageously priced DICE that JJP can't even decide what $12500 includes. lol

#1573 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You are just helping make the point that it was massively overpriced. The "Pro" of BM66 was listed at $8,599 MSRP. They can call it a Premium all day long, but it was a Pro.

The BM66 Premium has all the gameplay features that the LE and SLE models have, if I'm not mistaken.
    Pro models do not.
    If the turntable was missing, or the lcd wasn't there, this is a different argument.

I'm not arguing as to whether I think the game is worth the price they're charging. Until Lyman gets serious code into it, in my opinion, it's not.
    That said, it irks me when whiners complain that Batman costs $15k. There's not a single person on here would couldn't get a BM66 with all the play features for slightly more than half of the 15k quoted price.
    It's like saying that since some mega-star has an iPhone covered in diamonds worth $1,000,000 that iPhones are now $1,000,000.
    But hey, in typical Pinside fashion, if someone wants to make comments from the absolute most negative point of view available, why wouldn't they?

#1575 6 years ago

So, this one time I read something about cabinets separating and splitting...

I think the cheerleaders' purpose was to derail this thread.

#1576 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

So, this one time I read something about cabinets separating and splitting...
    I think the cheerleaders' purpose was to derail this thread.

Why don't YOU tell us about your experience with splitting cabinets? You know, on any of the games that you've bought recently? You have lots to say on the subject. Any firsthand experience?
    I already summarized the actual number of Pinsiders with legit problems. Was approx 24-30.
    No issues seem to have been reported recently.

So maybe it's not the cheerleader derailing things on here, but the stone-thrower who furthers his own purpose (a reseller on pins, only one of which listed on his website is a newer Stern), by throwing jabs and trying to make this seem much worse than it really is?

#1577 6 years ago

See Post #1513. I explained my position in detail.

I've sold over 30 or so newer Sterns through LOP, which have been archived from the site. I'm over getting into pissing contests with people on here...thankfully. Cabinets are separating period. That has everything to do with Stern, and nothing with what I do in this hobby.

#1578 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It means its popular with the people that own it! Maybe not the jealous haters but i get that.
    And yet its still in basically beta code.
    Demand MUCH higher for that outrageously priced BM66SLE versus the outrageously priced DICE that JJP can't even decide what $12500 includes. lol

I love how you think everyone is jealous.

Just like me saying you are just defending your 10K purchase so you don't look foolish.

#1579 6 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Just like me saying you are just defending your 10K purchase so you don't look foolish.

I, for one, am not jealous of anybody who paid 15k for bm66

#1580 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Amen.

#1581 6 years ago

Cliff notes:

Stern has a bad batch of cabinets

JJP is making DI which will sell between 500-5000000000 games this year

Games cost to much

BM66 doesn't really suck, or does it?

People are really angry

#1582 6 years ago

I'm just wondering how many times has code bailed out a game? I know when I bought ST I passed on TWD. Then I got GOT, bypassing TWD again. Once I was sure I would never get TWD, I head about all the issues with GB and got TWD instead. I honestly don't think I'll ever part with it. My point is that code pretty much made TWD a complete pin from what I'm reading on Pinside.

I look at BM66 and DI and see 2 completely different situations. BM66 looks and feels really cheap to me and I stopped playing after a few games to go back to GB. I recently got to play DI and I am seriously thinking about getting one. That machine felt complete and the toys and playfield just felt like higher quality. The spinning props on the drones vs a toy batmobile sticks out, as does the cheap sticker on the BM66 fire button. I will be putting in some more time on BM66 this Saturday and hopefully will see another DI soon.

#1583 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

My friend who played it at PAGG specifically complained about that issue to me when I asked him what he thought of the game. Dunno if they only had one DI there or not, but it happened at the show. So no, it's not a bad setup or Canada-only feature, it happens.

Can we not apologize for bad design decisions? It was dumb on TWD, it was dumb that you had to hit the flipper buttons to pulse the magnets (did Lyman fix that?) and it's dumb on DI. Magnets that drop the ball down the middle suck. If it turns out Alien does the same thing or something I'll call that dumb too.

To sort of get this back on topic, these games are f**king expensive. I understand why pretty well, now that I've been behind the scenes on making a game especially, but that doesn't change the numbers.

When your game costs that much it can't be half assed. Paying $8k for a game and you don't even get the powder coat that a basic ass Stern Premium has? That's lame, and if you try and defend it I'll laugh at you.

$5k is a lot of freaking money still too! You should get a cabinet that doesn't fall apart.

Quoted from Colsond3:

You miss my grumpy rants?

#1584 6 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

That's your problem, the criticism is leveled to make people look foolish when the reality is total opposite.

You want to talk about pricing, It's all foolish

#1585 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I'm not either but I'm not a hater either on how people want to spend their money

And the FACT is that they had overwhelming demand for that SLE and those people are happy with their pins and the limited production and features

Now, let's justify a DICE for $12,500 or a 2500 run non LE for $9500

Too many people get caught up in price

And nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head

#1586 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Why don't YOU tell us about your experience with splitting cabinets? You know, on any of the games that you've bought recently? You have lots to say on the subject. Any firsthand experience?
    I already summarized the actual number of Pinsiders with legit problems. Was approx 24-30.
    No issues seem to have been reported recently.
    So maybe it's not the cheerleader derailing things on here, but the stone-thrower who furthers his own purpose (a reseller on pins, only one of which listed on his website is a newer Stern), by throwing jabs and trying to make this seem much worse than it really is?

You were saying for months, with absolutely no supporting evidence, that Stern had fixed everything with playfield issues last year ... every time new reports would flood in, you'd say that you'd been reliably informed that it had now been fixed and there would be no more.

I don't think anyone with any semblance of common sense believed a word you said, but some who hadn't followed closely may have been fooled.

You constantly tried to persuade people to place and keep orders for GB and other machines, assuring them that you knew everything was now fine. This went on for ages before you finally stopped. Plenty of people whose issues dated from that period, before, and after, are still waiting for resolution and replacement playfields.

#1587 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My friend who played it at PAGG specifically complained about that issue to me when I asked him what he thought of the game. Dunno if they only had one DI there or not, but it happened at the show. So no, it's not a bad setup or Canada-only feature, it happens.

There was only one DI at PAGG. Weird that it happened enough for him to complain about but never happened to me. I mean, I had some close calls, but I was always able to save them. Tilt was very forgiving on that machine.

#1588 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And the FACT is that they had overwhelming demand for that SLE and those people are happy with their pins and the limited production and features

FACTS in your head maybe?
    FACTS come with cites... cites you can't make.
    What you have is your IMPRESSION - not FACTS.

#1590 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You miss my grumpy rants?

I miss people that actually know what they're talking about.

#1591 6 years ago

Guys, let's please try to steer this thread back towards the original topic. If you want to talk about how much you love or hate BM66 and DI, there are other threads for that. Thanks!

#1592 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

To each their own with the theme and gameplay...it's whatever you prefer. To me (and just my opinion) most Sterns feel and shoot the same. I've played the hell out of SM, Avatar, IM, XMen and Avengers....and not a huge difference "feel" wise. I would take a Medusa or Pharaoh over most Sterns any day. Those games are fun as hell to play, and not recycled layouts (like FG to Shrek, or Austin Powers to IM). Original and unlicensed themes rule, especially the artwork usually. I'm starting to care less and less about these debates anymore. $7500, $8500, $9500, BM66 for $15K. Prices are just ridiculous period.

They feel shoot sound and look like Data East pins.Especially the titles you mentioned

#1593 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Guys, let's please try to steer this thread back towards the original topic. If you want to talk about how much you love or hate BM66 and DI, there are other threads for that. Thanks!

Agreed...sorry.

Has anybody that complained directly to Stern about a cabinet splitting had a response? I believe I only saw one post above where somebody said they were told they would be getting a new cabinet (but they were going to sell it and had no intention of swapping the cabs out).

#1594 6 years ago

I will put the thread back on track.

48 year old game, no cabinet cracks.
    This game received its share of wear and tear.
    Touch up painting was done by a former owner, but not too badly, except they forgot to mask the rails.

Cabinet has never required formal repair in its life.
    Notice the specific plywood density and layer thickness.
    Notice the similar joint structure.

I can go even further back in time, all the way to the 1940s, if there are questions on cabinet construction.
    Quality of construction today has changed, even if some may not be aware, but I do not know why.

Pinball professional restoration TIP:

Don't use sheet metal screws for pinball applications either on the playfield or cabinet surfaces.

The threading is not designed for wood fibers, strips out the hole, and reduces hold strength especially on stressed parts like leg bolt plates.
    In the long run, the hole gets reamed out, and has to be repaired.
    Correct hex head wood screws are available for pinball parts suppliers and other sources to replace or restore games.
    Sometimes this is why people say "pre drilling holes weakens the wood", which is not accurate because either the drill bit used was too big, the hole was too deep, the wood was already weakened, had voids, dry rotted, or simply the wrong screw was used.
    Pre drilling holes ensures a proper alignment of a wood screw into the surface.
    An owner should not need wood glue, wood epoxy, sealer or other adhesive in a new screw hole to keep a tight fit, if done properly.
    In the long term, it might help if the game is moved frequently, nudged hard, but I have never tried to compare.
    Shaker motors are not a cause for alarm unless parts are already loose.

Use the right parts, the first time, for repairs.

Cabinet 1.jpgCabinet 1.jpg
    Cabinet 2.jpgCabinet 2.jpg

#1595 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Agreed...sorry.
    Has anybody that complained directly to Stern about a cabinet splitting had a response? I believe I only saw one post above where somebody said they were told they would be getting a new cabinet (but they were going to sell it and had no intention of swapping the cabs out).

Yep I'd like to know also. I read that Stern was going to send out reinforcement kits. Has anyone received one? And I really want to see some newer cabs and see if Stern has changed or improved their build.

#1596 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I miss people that actually know what they're talking about.

#1597 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Don't use sheet metal screws for pinball applications either on the playfield or cabinet surfaces.
    The threading is not designed for wood fibers, strips out the hole, and reduces hold strength especially on stressed parts like leg bolt plates.

Great now you tell us

#1598 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Maybe to a lot of those people 15k is like a few hundred bucks to the rest of us?

#1599 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Maybe to a lot of those people 15k is like a few hundred bucks to the rest of us?

I don't think that's the case, 15k is 15k whatever proportion of your paycheck it resembles, 5k is 5k and 1k is 1k, in fact people in the higher wage bracket are probably going to attack a supplier that sells faulty products more venomiously because of their experiences in high end business expectations and conflict. Just my opinion but my met pro came with an obvious ding on the inside cabinet that shouldn't have passed QC. I moaned to my UK supplier who wasn't too surprised but was disappointed and complained on my behalf and got no reply, but he offered to supply me some blades at his cost which I declined as it wasn't his fault so why should he be out of pocket?

A good mate of mine with bigger balls and experience told me to not let it lie with stern so I chased them and now they are sending me some blades, which I'll put in another pin as I had ordered the cool met art blades which I would probably have got anyway.

I do believe stern are hugely aware of the QC issues and will address them, any business taking this much flack must surely do so, especially with competition looming, but the people who are fighting the backlog of those fires are probably in a different department cursing Mr. Stern for giving the QC job to Stevie Wonder's dog.

#1600 6 years ago
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/32?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.