Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 43.
    #101 7 years ago

Spooky

IMG_0362 (resized).JPGIMG_0362 (resized).JPG

IMG_0363 (resized).JPGIMG_0363 (resized).JPG

#102 7 years ago

Everyone claims they are done with Stern due to QC issues. I agree this is the only way anything will change.

Oh shit, STAR WARS!!! Take my money!!

#103 7 years ago

I noticed my BM66 front left corner had a superficial crack right out of the box. It appeared to be on the outside veneer and the leg covers it. Since I've seen this thread Ive had a sick feeling in my stomach that this is gonna be a problem. If it's split like others the s**t is gonna hit the fan! I've beyond had it with Stern's cheap ass pins and price gouging tactics. My fiance gave me alotta grief about buying another pin when she wanted to use the space for a crib when our grandson visits every weekend. The thought of spending thousands of dollars on a hunk of wood and lights that is literally falling apart makes me sick. Thanks Stern!

#104 7 years ago

Spooky is the future of pinball ... Stern thinks people are stupid ... My 2 cents

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

LOL!
    You're forgetting the packaging material and the legs. That along with the box is probably is around 30 lbs.

Legs are part of the machine. Could you send us a picture of your GB sitting on the floor when you're playing it? I bet that's a hoot.

Packing material is designed to be lightweight for obvious reasons. They must have packed yours with clay.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Legs are part of the machine. Could you send us a picture of your GB sitting on the floor when you're playing it? I bet that's a hoot.
    Packing material is designed to be lightweight for obvious reasons. They must have packed yours with clay.

No, the legs are not considered part of the weight, because you usually aren't carrying or shipping a game with them on.

If Stern is shipping you games with the legs on, then I guess they think you don't know how to put them on, and took pity on you.

#107 7 years ago

It's kind of a bummer. I hope stern does something.

IMG_0055 (resized).JPGIMG_0055 (resized).JPG

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

No, the legs are not considered part of the weight, because you usually aren't carrying or shipping a game with them on.

But. They. Are. In. The. Box.

Go milk a cow or something. I can't do this anymore. Working on a full Joker Poker restore. Man...I'm not looking forward to that moment when I have to figure out how to put the legs on...

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But. They. Are. In. The. Box.
    Go milk a cow or something. I can't do this anymore. Working on a full Joker Poker restore. Man...I'm not looking forward to that moment when I have to figure out how to put the legs on...

Yes, they are in the box. Hence the weight of the box overall is 280 LBS.

What is so hard about this???????

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Yes, they are in the box. Hence the weight of the box overall is 280 LBS.
    What is so hard about this???????

Most I'd bet consider the legs as "part of the game"

Box weight would be box/packing/shipping material.

Could be wrong though

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Most I'd bet consider the legs as "part of the game"
    Box weight would be box/packing/shipping material.
    Could be wrong though

I don't think that gets you to 30 LBS.

Hence, why I believe Stern considers the legs separate.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I don't think that gets you to 30 LBS.
    Hence, why I believe Stern considers the legs separate.

Eh, the unboxed dimensions includes legs, weight should too.

You mentioned earlier putting the wrong weight is a no-no. That's if it's over the payed weight, what if it's under? "Margin of error" kind of thing

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Eh, the unboxed dimensions includes legs, weight should too.

Eh.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

Ugh, sorry to hear about your cabinet. When did you get your game? Has your distributor said anything about a replacement?

#115 7 years ago

Who cares what this and that weighs, i am worried about the cabinet exploding at the seams.

#116 7 years ago

BadFeelingCockpitIG-300x300 (resized).jpgBadFeelingCockpitIG-300x300 (resized).jpg

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Who cares what this and that weighs, i am worried about the cabinet exploding at the seams.

Exactly, I would care more about keeping my feet and toes instead of worrying about the weight of the damn thing.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

Too say the least, that sucks!

#119 7 years ago

Very concerning. Going to check my GB prem when I get home and hope for the best. Then I am going to reinforce the corners with williams leg plates and "L" brackets

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Making my decision to pass on Aerosmith a lot easier to digest!

Me too! I'd much rather pay (even overpay) for used games from the 90's. I was looking at my Demolition Man and Guns N Roses last night, marveling at the build quality and all the ramps.

#121 7 years ago

Pinball cabs have been splitting corners for 80 years.

They used to arrive split all the time NIB from the distributor. We'd glue them up, and deploy them the next day. Never did we even dream of calling the local distributor.

Any game you get truly off route (not some pinball collector routing a few games, but routed by a real operator) has a 25% chance of having one of it's front corners split.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

94a1907a1e3695ca9c3e50d27aaae6e694c7a757 (resized).jpg94a1907a1e3695ca9c3e50d27aaae6e694c7a757 (resized).jpg

6b2165b4042329417db6a877cedbdbdb99507912 (resized).jpg6b2165b4042329417db6a877cedbdbdb99507912 (resized).jpg

corner-leg-nut (resized).jpgcorner-leg-nut (resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They used to arrive split all the time NIB from the distributor. We'd glue them up, and deploy them the next day. Never did we even dream of calling the local distributor.
    Any game you get truly off route (not some pinball collector routing a few games, but routed by a real operator) has a 25% chance of having one of it's front corners split.

I guess we are just a bunch or winos..

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

I guess we are just a bunch or winos..

#124 7 years ago

My biggest complaint is the pixelated graphics and sub-par photoshop art. Sterns just feel and look cheap to me. Since business is picking up for them I would love to see some of that money put back into the machine and have a better product versus continuing to increase margins. Simply blaming damaged cabinets on shipping is an easy out. Their products should uphold their integrity over and above normal shipping practices. I work with packaging engineers to ensure our packaging holds up far outside normal conditions to ensure the product get to the customer as designed. Stern just doesn't seemed concerned about quality because the customer keeps buying their games regardless. I am glad to see other manufactures stepping into the market, it will only help all of us getting a better product in the end. Stern just better hope large overseas manufacturers don't get back into the pinball business. With lower manufacturing costs and a large supplier base, Stern would be playing catch up in a short amount of time. Just my $0.02.

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I love your use of the lashing straps to pull the cabinet back together. I will have to try that, great idea!

#126 7 years ago

Whiny? That's our society today. Pinball no different.

These things aren't being made as much for commercial use any more. I doubt they stand the test of time as well as Bally/Williams

For HUO, I go back and forth on whether it really matters or not to me.

#127 7 years ago

OK got the left side done also, took about 20 minutes.

IMGA0088 (resized).JPGIMGA0088 (resized).JPG

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Whiny? That's our society today. Pinball no different.
    These things aren't being made as much for commercial use any more. I doubt they stand the test of time as well as Bally/Williams

You seem to be more pro Stern when you are drinking.

Just an observation.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

My biggest complaint is the pixelated graphics and sub-par photoshop art. Sterns just feel and look cheap to me.

What was the last new machine you looked at? GB, BM66, and AS all look great. I think this complaint should be aimed at the license holders, who control the graphics, not Stern.

Other quality issues are Stern's problem, but like ghosting, not sure how big a deal this cabinet one is. Lots of squeaky wheels on Pinside and as proven time after time, we are not a good sample of pinball owners.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For routed games...ok to have some expectation of cab issues. For NIB games, shouldn't be happening.

Quoted from iceman44:

And it will matter when you buy NIB and then go to resell. I don't want a "newish" game with cab issues...especially for instance...your BM66 Super Duper LE if that issue occurred.

#131 7 years ago

Just ordered Williams brackets from Marco, now i just need to get my AS.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Very concerning. Going to check my GB prem when I get home and hope for the best. Then I am going to reinforce the corners with williams leg plates and "L" brackets

Like what I just did?

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

My biggest complaint is the pixelated graphics and sub-par photoshop art. Sterns just feel and look cheap to me.

To be fair the only machine over the last several years that has what I would call crappy art and print quality is Game of Thrones. Most of that was hopefully out of Sterns (and on the license holder) hands as it is pretty bad IMO. The rest of the games over the last few years have had nice crisp graphics on the cab and playfield.

#135 7 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

What was the last new machine you looked at? GB, BM66, and AS all look great. I think this complaint should be aimed at the license holders, who control the graphics, not Stern.
    Other quality issues are Stern's problem, but like ghosting, not sure how big a deal this cabinet one is. Lots of squeaky wheels on Pinside and as proven time after time, we are not a good sample of pinball owners.

I'll definitely have to take a closer look when I see them out. I have yet to see those 3 yet, so if they improved, awesome!

The last one that I saw that looked cheap was GOT. Even the LE with the upper playfield just looked like a cheap attempt to create a castle. I mean, it is as close to 2D as you can get with a 3D layout lol.

Maybe things are changing, and they are putting more effort on customer feedback.

#136 7 years ago

Anybody doing the back legs?

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

I'll definitely have to take a closer look when I see them out. I have yet to see those 3 yet, so if they improved, awesome!
    The last one that I saw that looked cheap was GOT. Even the LE with the upper playfield just looked like a cheap attempt to create a castle. I mean, it is as close to 2D as you can get with a 3D layout lol.
    Maybe things are changing, and they are putting more effort on customer feedback.

GB and AS are much nicer in the art and toy department than GoT IMO. I like GoT but it is one ugly bird!

#138 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

GB and AS are much nicer in the art and toy department than GoT IMO. I like GoT but it is one ugly bird!

Yeah, I love the series and was tempted to buy one, it just looks awful to me. Hopefully they have a GB or AS at PATZ this year, I will have to check them out.

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

To be fair the only machine over the last several years that has what I would call crappy art and print quality is Game of Thrones. Most of that was hopefully out of Sterns (and on the license holder) hands as it is pretty bad IMO. The rest of the games over the last few years have had nice crisp graphics on the cab and playfield.

Avatar aint to pretty also, one if not the worst.

#141 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Anybody doing the back legs?

I would if I could get help pulling the pf, both legs would take probably around 20 minutes.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Avatar aint to pretty also, one if not the worst.

Much prettier than GOT. 24, WPT and GOT are probably tied in the "Stern's most Ugly contest". Not sure why art always seems to go south on Ritchie's games.

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Much prettier than GOT. 24, WPT and GOT are probably tied in the "Stern's most Ugly contest". Not sure why art always seems to go south on Ritchie's games.

I thought the King always got the best?

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Just ordered Williams brackets from Marco, now i just need to get my AS.

Stern doesn't use leg brackets inside of the their cabinets? Has this always been the case?

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern doesn't use leg brackets inside of the their cabinets? Has this always been the case?

Yes a different type.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Me and a couple of friends were talking about this today. We were wondering if the entire game budget including art was in one big pot and he doesn't reserve as much of that budget for art as other designers.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

You seem to be more pro Stern when you are drinking.
    Just an observation.

Haha. I'm still pro Stern but it is what is.

Split cabs, crappy PFs and rising prices isn't going to help things for them

I'm still not spending $8000 or $9500 for any pin just because it's built like a tank

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Me and a couple of friends were talking about this today. We were wondering if the entire game budget including art was in one big pot and he doesn't reserve as much of that budget for art as other designers.

Bad art costs the same as good art. Sometimes they're at the mercy of the licensor as to what assets they can use...sometimes they're at the mercy of a schedule...sometimes the artist just does a bad job and they don't have time to fix it before going into production. There are always a million reasons why something ends up the way it ends up...I don't think budget has anything to do with it.

#149 7 years ago

I hate to use the old cliché, but you don't play the artwork. Yes, GOT playfield art is really bad, but it's still one of the most fun recent Sterns. ACDC's playfield art also sucks...but it's a blast to play.

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I hate to use the old cliché, but you don't play the artwork

...but we have eyeballs and these are giant things we have to look at if we own them. To pay THAT much for something THAT big with horrible art, when there ARE options with great art...that's just something I cannot do.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

ACDC's playfield art also sucks...but it's a blast to play.

...it's Photoshop, but it's stylistically cohesive with the whole package and "feels" like AC/DC. There's nothing offensive about it...in fact, I quite like the way AC/DC Premium looks. GOT doesn't "feel" like GOT. It's a mix of absolutely generic (playfield) with terrible Photoshop (translite/cabinet).

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.